Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Edgerrin James gives advice to Trent Richardson

TKnight24

If you think Trent lacks burst or vision, watch some of these films. And these are full games, not just highlights. Trent is a beast and I believe if our O-line is just average, he has the potential for 1,500+ scrimmage yards(including receiving) and double digit TDs.

I know it's college film, but he is the same guy with the same ability and he's just 24 years old.

If you think Trent lacks burst or vision, watch some of these films. And these are full games, not just highlights. Trent is a beast and I believe if our O-line is just average, he has the potential for 1,500+ scrimmage yards(including receiving) and double digit TDs.

I know it's college film, but he is the same guy with the same ability and he's just 24 years old.

It's not news that Trent could hit the gaping holes opened by the Bama line. What he can't do is hit the small holes available to him in the NFL.

T-Rich can learn a lot from Edge; both have similar running and hair styles. The only difference is that Edge came out of gates hot (from college that is) and led the NFL in rushing yards. T-Rich has a little ways to go before that will happen.

I think the following quote shared by one of our posters is the best comment I have yet seen relative to Richardson's success at Alabama and lack of it at Indianapolis.

"It's not news that Trent could hit the gaping holes opened by the Bama line. What he can't do is hit the small holes available to him in the NFL." 

I think the following quote shared by one of our posters is the best comment I have yet seen relative to Richardson's success at Alabama and lack of it at Indianapolis.

"It's not news that Trent could hit the gaping holes opened by the Bama line. What he can't do is hit the small holes available to him in the NFL." 

Smartly word-smithed by azcolt, yes. But true or false, there's nothing to suggest that this player with 1  year experience under 3 different systems on 2 different teams cannot LEARN to work small gaps, to see gaps forming before they open etc. 

He is truly blessed to have the mentoring of Edgerrin James at his disposal, a former master of the technique of slipping through keyhole sized gaps. 

That may be true to an extent, but more often than not, at least last year, there were no small holes for him to have the chance to hit. It was more like 2-3 defenders in the backfield on 50+% of his runs, he jukes/sidesteps them and gets a 2 yard gain and on paper it looks like a bad run but in reality it should have went for a loss. Just my analysis. I think someone posted this article on here a few weeks ago, I'm not sure if y'all have read it or not but if you haven't you should. Goes into deeper analysis and film break down from last years run game. http://www.battleredblog.com/2014/7/8/5879983/the-film-room-trent-richardson-is-a-beast

And there probably were some times where he missed a smaller hole last year, but that could be due to not being comfortable in the offense yet. I guess we'll see this year. If he has another awful year this year, I might be ready to give up on him but I don't think that'll be the case.

a little uneasy about Trent after the first exhibition....

..lets let him play a little more next week..

t-rich got 13 yards on two carries before holmes got hurt. you cant expect an udfa to push the son wall wilkerson and richardson

The Colts, mostly with the start of Peyton, has had a great TEAM atmosphere here. Players are proud to be a Colt! Edge is another shining example of this and continued proof of the great environment here. This helps separate us from other teams and makes a huge difference at the end of the day.

Smartly word-smithed by azcolt, yes. But true or false, there's nothing to suggest that this player with 1  year experience under 3 different systems on 2 different teams cannot LEARN to work small gaps, to see gaps forming before they open etc. 

He is truly blessed to have the mentoring of Edgerrin James at his disposal, a former master of the technique of slipping through keyhole sized gaps. 

I'm still not sure he is quick enough to get through the small holes before they can close yet.

The O-line had nice gaps to run through pre Holmes injury and he looked good in that series

but I'm still not sold on his ability to get to the line of scrimmage consistently quick enough

to be a NFL RB yet.

Hope I am wrong on this assumption.

I liked the trade when it was first made, but he looks like the same old Trent from the Cleveland days in Indy. Maybe he will rebound , but it may have been a bust of a trade. It happens sometimes. The Orioles signed Jiminez for four years, 50 million ! Mistakes can be made.

http://www.nfl.com/fantasyfootball/story/0ap3000000375701/article/the-curious-case-of-trent-richardson-fantasy-mystery

This was a nice piece about Trent. Against Arizona a huge hole was opened and he didn't hit it. I'm talking about a HUGE hole off of Satele. How he didn't see it was beyond me. I'm all for him being a better back this season. I watched his runs in the preseason. Wasn't running at full speed so I'm not really taking that into account.

The question is whether he can be a game breaking RB. We know he can pick up the tough short yards, but I wanna see if he can scare a defense like a LeSean McCoy, Mashawn Lynch, etc..Can he become that RB that could break a 15-20 yard run at any moment? Is he a threat to score, besides in goal line rushes? There's no question he can become okay. But can he become great? A real workhorse.

I think he should at least reach the level of Steven Jackson in his prime.

Richard had a couple of good runs the last game before Holmes went down, Though I still think he has a lot to improve on, He does this little jump action often as he is getting the hand off, I think he needs to eliminate that  and I did not see any sort of speed cut, Mostly jump cuts where he has to gather himself and make his next move after he gathers himself, He still is dancing a lot. Overall a couple good runs but he shows little to no burst

But you know those were his only 2 carries...and there cant be any excuses..especially near the goal lineI dont have to tell you we have to see more

Its not excuses. Bad circumstances. I haven't seen the middle that open since the glenn/saturday days.

Unless the interior line play improves via FA or Holmes - he really has very little chance as a ground and pound runner. It will be just like last year with catches out of the backfield and pass blocking for Trent. Our line just isn't there and is also showing it is soft and injury prone.

With a young OL and injuries to it it make everything tougher for all RBs. Herron looked really nice so far but Richardson should not need advice on how to pick a hole from Edge or anyone. He has got to have a standout game very soon. If Herron can do it why can't Richardson?

With a young OL and injuries to it it make everything tougher for all RBs. Herron looked really nice so far but Richardson should not need advice on how to pick a hole from Edge or anyone. He has got to have a standout game very soon. If Herron can do it why can't Richardson?

herron didn't look that great ruining the ball He was excellent catching the ball