Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts QBs Really Really Like Harrison

krunk

harrison wasnt that great. his run blocking was terrible (with the first team at least didnt pay attention to him after that).  and the turnovers...on top of that, it was a preseason game. we should still be concerned about the center position. 

now i dont like to be a negative nancy so on a positive note....

did anyone see werener? dude is going to prove all the haters how wrong they were....

harrison wasnt that great. his run blocking was terrible (with the first team at least didnt pay attention to him after that).  and the turnovers...on top of that, it was a preseason game. we should still be concerned about the center position. 

now i dont like to be a negative nancy so on a positive note....

did anyone see werener? dude is going to prove all the haters how wrong they were....

Of course he wasn't 'great'? Why even mention that word? Did you expect greatness after him being thrown in there as a rookie against one of the best defenses in the NFL?

Give example of this 'terrible' run blocking. I didn't see anything remotely close to that.

I think it's safe to say that Harrison is no Satele.  He'll get the rhythm down and do much better at the next game, which I will be attending I might add.  

Yeah, that's something that can be learned by just doing a lot of reps and getting more experience.  He kind of got thrown to the wolves the other night, but if they like him as much as they say they do I think the problems he had are solvable.

This injury could really hurt Holmes Harrison has talent he could possibly steal the job

A healthy Holmes will be our best O-Lineman, which isn`t a huge thing considering. Losing Donald Thomas opened up a nice hole for JH., IF, Holmes comes back healthy we will be in good shape.

A healthy Holmes will be our best O-Lineman, which isn`t a huge thing considering. Losing Donald Thomas opened up a nice hole for JH., IF, Holmes comes back healthy we will be in good shape.

Holmes isn't even close to the best linemen

Of course he wasn't 'great'? Why even mention that word? Did you expect greatness after him being thrown in there as a rookie against one of the best defenses in the NFL?

Give example of this 'terrible' run blocking. I didn't see anything remotely close to that.

Uh, he didn`t pay attention after his 1st what 5 plays with the starters. Where do they come from?

He was so so run blocking for sure. Unlikely to be NFL strong in year one, but it looked like he wasn`t very far away from being decent. Go J Harrison!!

I don't really think it was Holmes blowing guys off the line making holes, I think it was Harrison not know the right oline adjustment calls to make in the run game.

I will preface this by saying that the little of Harrison I got to watch, he didn't do bad, yeah he was overwhelmed by the situation but he recovered and played well.

The part about the online adjustment calls (if your assumption is correct) is a bit concerning, rookie or not.  He has been in all the same meetings, gone through the same practices, etc. that shouldn't happen in a preseason game.  

Something else to think about, maybe the problem with the line calls was not Harrison's.  Maybe they took that away from him and let one of the guards or the QB make the line calls.  I don't know, I'm just speculating.

REVIEW OF Jonathan Harrison

In the process, he proved something to Pagano.

"He's got grit, he's a tough guy and it wasn't too big for him," Pagano said. "He probably got pressed into the action a little bit earlier then he planned (with Holmes' injury) which is a good thing for me. Then I can find out a little bit more.

"... Very, very, very few mistakes and his fundamental techniques (were good). He's a strong guy and he was playing against some quality, quality defensive linemen in there so it was great test for him and he rose to the challenge."

In reviewing the game film, coaches made similar assessments of McDonald, Purifoy and Kerr.

McDonald, an undrafted safety out of California (Pa.), finished with three tackles, one for a loss. He's seen as a solid box safety who is physical and tackles reliably.

A product of a Division II program, McDonald displayed a good skill set in college but had much to prove after making a gigantic leap in level of competition. That's why his performance against the Jets was so revealing.

"Definitely a confidence booster," McDonald said.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2014/08/11/long-shot-front-center-impressed-among-colts-undrafted-fas/13924623/

Why was he UDFA?

Not sure, I looked at several sites and there didn't seem to be a strong consensus on him.

NFL.com had him as a Round 4 or 5 player.  A couple other sites projected him as a 5th rounder.

But just as many sites projected him as  7th round to UDFA.  

From what I'm seeing a common criticism on him is that he's not terribly athletic and has slow feet.  Often said he'd work well in a "phone booth" (not sure what that means exactly) in a man power scheme.  But it looks like he's too slow footed to work in a zone blocking scheme.  (Not talking about straight line speed like 40 times but his agility and side to side movement) 

His combine numbers back this up, he wasn't a top performer in anything but the broad jump.  Infact one site seems to indicate that his 20 yard shuttle time was the absolute worst for centers.  

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/combine/_/id/33649/jonotthan-harrison

So if I had to guess it was likely that.  He's a guy that maybe he does ok if you ask him to either stand his ground or give you a big push forward in a running play. . . but if you ask him to move around a bit, pull, get out in front for a screen, or go into the 2nd level to block a LB you are asking for trouble.  

He's probably still useful if we scheme around his weaknesses.