Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Positives and Negatives Colts Vs Jets

Rich Cannon

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One positive is that Chandler Harnish makes Curtis Painter look like an All-Pro Super Bowl MVP.

I think you guys are being too hard on Harnish. That third string o line was terrible!! Hasselbeck would have had the same numbers if he didn't have Boom open all the time.

FOR NOW ON.... If anyone says anything at all ridiculous about Trent Richardson everyone on here should just ignore what they say so they quit just reaching to get some attention on here...

Don't give that person the attention they oh so desperately need!

In T Rich we believe!

Bravo... Just sayin

No way! That line was awful. He had pressure every snap.

And the Jets were not playing with 3rd and 4th string defensive players?

Harnish has done absolutely nothing to show us that he could fill in at QB if we needed him to. He is just not very good. 

We need a new answer at backup QB, because MH likely won't be around much longer. If a QB is there in next years draft, I believe it will be completely justified to use a mid round pick.

Same old TRich, 2.6 yards per carry. This guy just isn't going to get it done.

Trent looked great for what little time he was in, and had a great 9 yard run to start it all off. Once Holmes went out the offense threw some passes. You also have to realize the Jets also had a top 3 run defense last year. That was the one thing they have done well at.

And the Jets were not playing with 3rd and 4th string defensive players?

Harnish has done absolutely nothing to show us that he could fill in at QB if we needed him to. He is just not very good.

We need a new answer at backup QB, because MH likely won't be around much longer. If a QB is there in next years draft, I believe it will be completely justified to use a mid round pick.

Yes the Jets 3rd and 4th string were in.. and they were much better than ours. I'm not saying I like him or we should resign him but I don't think this performance is his fault.

Positives:

• The first-team OL opened some running lanes for Trent and gave Andrew enough time in the pocket
  • Nicks and Rogers played well.  Factor in Wayne, Hilton, and Moncrief -- Colts are loaded at WR.
  • Boom Herron showed good hands catching the ball and ran with power and determination.
  • Bjorn Werner looked much faster and stronger in his pass rush.  He got two pressures.
  • Andy Studebaker flashed, performing like he wants to play more than just special teams.
  • Henoc Muamba is a keeper.

Negatives:

• After Khaled Holmes got injured, Colts OL did not look good, especially in the run game.
  • Qua Cox played terrible.  He got burned by his receiver and picked on by the Jet's QB.
  • Chandler Harnish looked like Curtis Painter version 2.0

Yes the Jets 3rd and 4th string were in.. and they were much better than ours. I'm not saying I like him or we should resign him but I don't think this performance is his fault.

He has had numerous opportunities to shine in preseason games, yet he has not. He was playing against a bunch of 3rd and 4th string players who were running around trying to figure out what they were doing too. Harnish has had 2 fulls years, plus this offseason, and he has not owned the opportunities he has been given. He does not make plays. He has not shown any skill for Colts fans to get excited about. Not in this game or any other game he has played in wearing a Colts uniform.

I am not ragging on the guy, but in this situation, it is what it is. Just calling it as I see it. In a perfect world he would be a great backup, and go on to backup Andrew for 10 plus years. Not going to happen. He just does not have it. Time to move on and find an answer that actually makes sense for when MH leaves. 

I really liked the 3rd and 42 for the Jets midway through the 4th. That was really impressive......................very, very impressive..

Hopefully screw ups like that continue for the Jets during the regular seasons.

Ya know, that got me wondering. What was the longest down in the history of the NFL?

Apparently it was a 2nd and 65 by the Detroit Lions against the Chicago Bears on Sept. 17, 2006. They did not convert. Very difficult to find this, and it's not 100% verified. 

Oh heck he is a mainstay on the Pacer thread trying to insist to everyone Paul G is out for 2 years...

YAWN  ..  he is a total troll     Just ignore the little boy.    He will go away or get banned soon enough.

I fell prey also...     I'll never get those keystrokes back..  heheeheeee

Ahhhh....I see. 

Trent, I'm rooting for him for many reasons. None more-so than the obvious. He's a colt and his success translates into Colts success. History will be the judge of all this, and who knows, maybe some day Grigson will want a time machine so he can go back and un-do that trade. 

I have a time machine, actually. Trying to keep it on the down low. As a matter of fact, I just returned from taking a trip back to the 1920's. It was SOOOO fun, seriously. I slept with some stupid chick that looked just like my grandmother and talked her out of marrying this creep. Pretty fun. Oh no.....My hands....I'm disappearing. Oh no.....oh my god n

Considering the fact we only loss 13-10 shows that we played well, and the fact that Vinny missed the FG that would've gave us our 13 points but it's cool

Don't care about our W/L for preseason, this is all about evaluation of our roster. 3rd game against the Saints will be a good one though. Luck & Co. vs Brees & Co.

Will we be able to contain the best TE in the game?

PLUSES:

Moncrief and Rogers looked great at WR. I think both could be better than Hicks. I think we quietly are building a deep WR core. I love me some Donte. I wish he was working with the first unit.

Herron was great. He could be an outstanding 3rd down back

Luck and the passing game really clicked. The offense was rolling against a good defense until our center went down

MINUSES:

Injuries PERIOD. 

Trent Richardson once again wasn't even the best RB on his own team.

AV missed a short FG.  I know he is a HOFamer and IMHO the greatest kicker of all time. But he is getting up there in age. Nobody plays forever. I hope this isn't a trend. Not worried. Just concerned.

OL depth.

Some of my thoughts:

Positives

• Offensive first series playcalling (mainly the pass plays being used to open up the run)
  • The pocket Andrew was given while in there
  • Werner and Muamba being all over the place
  • Second team defensive line holding against the first team Jets offensive line
  • All three RBs (Richardson, Herron and Tipton) looked like the hard-nose runners we are looking for

Negatives

• Mewhort whiffing on the one pulling block while wearing #75 which made me have a flashback of McGlynn
  • Injuries

Trent looked great for what little time he was in, and had a great 9 yard run to start it all off. Once Holmes went out the offense threw some passes. You also have to realize the Jets also had a top 3 run defense last year. That was the one thing they have done well at.

I will admit that I did not see the game. It was not broadcast in Denver. I will watch when it is replayed. I went straight to that stat when I looked it up because I think TRich being productive or not is going to be a lot of what this team is about this year.

I will admit that I did not see the game. It was not broadcast in Denver. I will watch when it is replayed. I went straight to that stat when I looked it up because I think TRich being productive or not is going to be a lot of what this team is about this year.

An absolute HORRIBLE way to evaluate someone without knowing all of the variables.

What?

He had a nice 9 yard gash on the first run, the second carry was a decisive 4 yard carry where he gained 2 or 3 after initial contact. This was the play when Holmes went out. Next run the Jets were ready for the draw, overload run blitz on the left side of the line meant Richardson had nowhere to go when the oline got no push.

Fourth run Dwayne Allen completely whiffed on the defensive end (looked like he was supposed to chip him then move to block the linebacker). 2 or 3 yard gain.

Fifth and final run was yet again a draw from the shotgun formation. Jets guessed right and stuffed the play for a loss.

He looked fine, but he basically ran out of shotgun formation 5 times, and the Jets had it figured out by the third carry.

Harrison looked decent.

My thoughts on the game: 

Mewhort looked decent, but still like a rookie. He'll get there. He is a massive unit. 

Until Holmes went down, our O-Line looked pretty good! 

The Boom Herron show was pretty awesome. He's solidified his role as a 3rd RB. He has great acceleration and excellent hands. 

Luck to TY is a thing of beauty. 

AV biffing the chip shot FG was kind of disheartening. 

3rd and 42...I've never seen that before. Good job Indy D! 

Muamba's motor is relentless! That guy flattened the Jets RB one on one too. I love it! 

Positives

DQ, Freeman, Werner, and Muamba. Those guys were flying around

Khaled Holmes! Only played a few before the injury but run blocking was great! Saw him pancake a D-lineman (sounds like he'll be alright)

TY, Nicks, Rogers, Whalen

Richardson, Herron

D-line

Andrew Luck

Studebaker (still going to be a special teamer)

Numerous rookies stepped up

Negatives

Mewhort-(really only because of his whiffed block)

Run blocking, post Holmes injury

Vinnie's miss-very uncharacteristic

Harnish

Zerlon Tipton-was expecting more from what the reports from camp were saying (probably unfair on my part)

Hamilton running a delayed draw from the 3 yard line

Fleener's hair (I see a Suave commercial in his future)

Positives (1st two possessions)

1. Holmes walked off on his own power

2. Defensive 1st team looks good, good pressure against the pass, solid against the run (2 series first team)

3. I watched Nicks running crisp routes

4. Defensive play calling, much more aggressive (2 series first team)

5. Ty Hilton

6. Pass protection (first team looked good, 1 series)

7. Trent Richardson's first carry with the first unit Oline - 9 yard gain. ;)

I thought Newsome played well. He got a sack and got after the QB on another play.

Newsome didn't get a sack.  The announcer kept crediting Newsome with the sack on Vick that Cam Johnson got.  He did eventually correct himself. :)

perhaps you should watch the games and actually watch a guy's performance as well as the surrounding circumstances before declaring whether a guy is going to make it or not.  maybe?  perhaps?  :thmup:

Ya know, that got me wondering. What was the longest down in the history of the NFL?

Apparently it was a 2nd and 65 by the Detroit Lions against the Chicago Bears on Sept. 17, 2006. They did not convert. Very difficult to find this, and it's not 100% verified.

Well being Detroit, it makes it that much more believable!!