• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

-Werner looked good

-Walden looked improved

-Trent looked better

-T.Y. Is still the same T.Y.

My negatives were the injury to Holmes and the defense didn't look significantly better. It was improved for sure, but it doesn't loom like the D-Line really made a "leap" forward. Still looks alot like the 2013 Colts but its still early.

Considering the fact we only loss 13-10 shows that we played well, and the fact that Vinny missed the FG that would've gave us our 13 points but it's cool

Don't care about our W/L for preseason, this is all about evaluation of our roster. 3rd game against the Saints will be a good one though. Luck & Co. vs Brees & Co.

Will we be able to contain the best TE in the game?

I actually thought we should have had a TD, but Hasselbeck just under threw Moncrief in the end zone. He had Dee Milner beat.

-Werner looked good

-Walden looked improved

-Trent looked better

-T.Y. Is still the same T.Y.

My negatives were the injury to Holmes and the defense didn't look significantly better. It was improved for sure, but it doesn't loom like the D-Line really made a "leap" forward. Still looks alot like the 2013 Colts but its still early.

What did the dline need to do that you feel they didn't do?

I thought Mewhort looked pretty good though he did miss 1 block pulling but that's going to be an ongoing issue for him I think at times, He isn't the fleetest of foot for an O Lineman, Power and mauling is his game, Personally though if it were me I'd have my O Line look like this 

LT-Castonzo

LG-Mewhort

C-Holmes(when healthy)

RG-Thornton(He is more mobile then Mewhort to me)

RT-Cherilus

(obviously no change from what we saw early last night)...Here is the difference......I'd make Thornton my Pulling Guard for 1 and run the majority of my Zone Runs to the right and my Man schemes to the left behind Mewhort and Castonzo.....Though I'd still run my man scheme runs also behind Thornton to keep the D guessing a bit up front)

What did the dline need to do that you feel they didn't do?

I didn't feel as if they really imposed their will on the Jets O. They did a good job plugging the middle and getting pressures, but they could've set the edge a bit better. One thing I noticed is that when the Jets ran it to the outside they found room, but that also has to do with the corners not coming down to make tackles.

What?

If he is really, really good it will make the team great. If he is mediocre and there is no one to do better, we won't be so good. I am not a fan of TRich and I personally think he is a lost cause. But, that is just my opinion and I sure hope that I am very wrong about that and I will be glad to say so when it happens.

He had a nice 9 yard gash on the first run, the second carry was a decisive 4 yard carry where he gained 2 or 3 after initial contact. This was the play when Holmes went out. Next run the Jets were ready for the draw, overload run blitz on the left side of the line meant Richardson had nowhere to go when the oline got no push.

Fourth run Dwayne Allen completely whiffed on the defensive end (looked like he was supposed to chip him then move to block the linebacker). 2 or 3 yard gain.

Fifth and final run was yet again a draw from the shotgun formation. Jets guessed right and stuffed the play for a loss.

He looked fine, but he basically ran out of shotgun formation 5 times, and the Jets had it figured out by the third carry.

Harrison looked decent.

Thanks, that explains it. I should have said nothing from just seeing the stats, I guess.

Newsome didn't get a sack.  The announcer kept crediting Newsome with the sack on Vick that Cam Johnson got.  He did eventually correct himself. :)

perhaps you should watch the games and actually watch a guy's performance as well as the surrounding circumstances before declaring whether a guy is going to make it or not.  maybe?  perhaps?  :thmup:

More than maybe and much more than perhaps. I guess I was just looking and hoping to see something over 3 yards per carry. I hope he does well.

Its not just the stats, its how he runs. He just doesn't look explosive @ all. He seems to have zero burst. And if you believe 40 times, I think Richardson ran a faster 40 than Danthpny Thomas LOL. No way

I caught a lot of flack for this post. I didn't see the game because it was not telecast here but I intend to watch the replays of it. I just haven't seen anything good from Richardson. I hope he does do well.

If he is really, really good it will make the team great. If he is mediocre and there is no one to do better, we won't be so good. I am not a fan of TRich and I personally think he is a lost cause. But, that is just my opinion and I sure hope that I am very wrong about that and I will be glad to say so when it happens.

I think our success or failure may not rest exclusively on trich..

Alot of it does though. A RB who can take pressure off the QB is great. It lessens the workload. If Richardson becomes the elite back he was thought to be, and you combine him with Andrew Luck becoming a top 5 QB, imagine the possibilities. Look what Eddie Lacy has done for the Packers.

Trent Richardson once again wasn't even the best RB on his own team.

He had limited carries... and they were trying to see what they had in Herron/Tipton because one guy won't make the team. Herron was great at catching the ball. Right now, that is Tipton although he got most action with Harnish who wasn't good either.

I will admit that I did not see the game. It was not broadcast in Denver. I will watch when it is replayed. I went straight to that stat when I looked it up because I think TRich being productive or not is going to be a lot of what this team is about this year.

We actually watched the game, and sat in the game day thread to talk about it as we do most of the games. You can't judge the man by something you didn't watch. Trent was making cuts and making people miss behind the starting o-line. NFL/Colts both have game highlights up... but if you get a chance to watch the whole game do it. I was impressed by the offense and defense.

I didn't feel as if they really imposed their will on the Jets O. They did a good job plugging the middle and getting pressures, but they could've set the edge a bit better. One thing I noticed is that when the Jets ran it to the outside they found room, but that also has to do with the corners not coming down to make tackles.

so then it sounds like your quarrel is with the OLBs, not the DL.  The DT (Jones in most cases) will have some edge setting responsibilities but most of that goes on the OLBs.

Personally I thought the first string DL did a great job, and even the 2nd string did a pretty good job for the most part.  

I don't know why every1 is complaining about Trent's performance?  He did alright, besides a couple rushes.  If you think it's his fault he cant get out of the backfield when there is 2 players in his face right when he touches the ball, or when Pep calls a shotgun draw in the redzone, of course he isn't going to do well?  What do you people want from him?  All the haters probably don't even notice how well he does in pass protection, because all they care about is visual stats.  No running back is going to do well in those situations!  Same complaining as last year.  You guys can see that stuff cant you?  It's either youre only listening to the game or just looking at his YPC.  Last season alot of his attempts were 3rd and short up the middle after he lost the starting job.  Again, what do you think is going to happen with that, especially with a pathetic O-Line like last year.

If you would actually "WATCH" plays develope and understand the game, I think people would just save their ignorant comments!

RANT OVER

I am sure that is true but I think a lot of drama around the team will. If he becomes ineffective our talent pool isn't very deep. Bradshaw is first class but can he stay on the field. I should have said anything but the stat line screamed "same old, same old".

I am sure that is true but I think a lot of drama around the team will. If he becomes ineffective our talent pool isn't very deep. Bradshaw is first class but can he stay on the field. I should have said anything but the stat line screamed "same old, same old".

The Colts success is not dependent on one guy. Trent being good will be beneficial to the receivers, and the receivers doing their job will make it easier for Trent. On offense we have many weapons... and if they all work together as one healthy well oiled machine people should be afraid. Very afraid.    

Let's all hope Holmes recovers quickly because the O-Line looked horrible without him in and I don't see how the Colts have any type of successful season without their starting guard and center.  If he's out for an extended period might want to consider starting Hassleback and protecting the franchise quarterback.  Outside of that I thought it was overwhelmingly positive.

You know our Offensive line situation is bad when a guy who has played 12 NFL snaps goes down and fans are talking about throwing the season away.

Obviously, I think that's an overreaction but I also think Luck would shred defenses if we could just give him better protection. He was pressured on 37.5 percent of his drop backs. In the second half of the playoff game against Kansas City Luck was pressured just 2 times on 26 drop backs, and he delivered hitting 8 out of 9 passes 10 yards or further down field. 

Now, there's no way we're going protect well enough to cut his percentage of drop backs pressured to 7.7% on a regular basis, but if we could get it to 20% rather than 37.5% I think we'll see the offense become the hardest to stop in the league. Not necessarily the most prolific, because that depends largely on the play style that the coaches use, but definitely the most consistent offense and the hardest to hold under 25 points in a game.

yep, goes without saying. 

I don't know why every1 is complaining about Trent's performance?  He did alright, besides a couple rushes.  If you think it's his fault he cant get out of the backfield when there is 2 players in his face right when he touches the ball, or when Pep calls a shotgun draw in the redzone, of course he isn't going to do well?  What do you people want from him?  All the haters probably don't even notice how well he does in pass protection, because all they care about is visual stats.  No running back is going to do well in those situations!  Same complaining as last year.  You guys can see that stuff cant you?  It's either youre only listening to the game or just looking at his YPC.  Last season alot of his attempts were 3rd and short up the middle after he lost the starting job.  Again, what do you think is going to happen with that, especially with a pathetic O-Line like last year.

If you would actually "WATCH" plays develope and understand the game, I think people would just save their ignorant comments!

RANT OVER

I thought he played more decisively than he did last year.  When a hole was there, he hit it.  If I had the All-22, I could do a little better film breakdown, but just as a spectator, when he had space, he gained good ground, there was a run or two where there was just nowhere to go.  Give Jets credit, they have a strong DL.

So was just watching the game on NFL network and was happy to see that what started the jets on their 3rd and 42 was a sack/tackle, for a loss of 5 yards, by Dewey McDonald giving the Jets 2nd and 15.  Then followed by "holding", and a bad snap by their center.He seems like he is doing alright.  

One thing people might forget when comparing him to Cox or Purifory is that they are CB's and Dewey is a safety.  Which sucks because he has five safeties ahead of him, 6 if you include KJ

The Colts success is not dependent on one guy. Trent being good will be beneficial to the receivers, and the receivers doing their job will make it easier for Trent. On offense we have many weapons... and if they all work together as one healthy well oiled machine people should be afraid. Very afraid.    

I don't think Trent instills much fear in anyone. Now, Luck and our receivers, I agree with you.

Ha, Let me know if that works so I can try it with my Zbikowski Jersey!!!!

Meh. Tried it today. My vacuum just fell over and blew a belt, shooting a dirt wad on my Trent Richardson Phathead. My Trent Richardson Phathead isn't applied to my wall, however. It's just propped up against the wall with a stick. For a number of reasons that aren't in my Trent Richardson Phatheadz control, it just won't stick. 

so then it sounds like your quarrel is with the OLBs, not the DL.  The DT (Jones in most cases) will have some edge setting responsibilities but most of that goes on the OLBs.

Personally I thought the first string DL did a great job, and even the 2nd string did a pretty good job for the most part.

Yeah it looked solid and the OLBs got really good pressure. They just have to watch those edges. A guy like Lesean McCoy will abuse us if we don't. That's what we have to beware. The quick cit corners like shady who can turn the edge and make guys miss and mobile QBs. Looks like we can handle the power run though.

Yeah it looked solid and the OLBs got really good pressure. They just have to watch those edges. A guy like Lesean McCoy will abuse us if we don't. That's what we have to beware. The quick cit corners like shady who can turn the edge and make guys miss and mobile QBs. Looks like we can handle the power run though.

I agree.  Walden looked shaky to start out. He failed to set the edge on one of the big runs but then made a play on the next play.  I thought Werner did well on the edge.  Newsome struggled and it was clear he still needs to gain some more strength, but that's to be expected.  He was one of the smaller DE/OLB drafted.  The NFL draft profile listed him at 6'3 and 247 lbs.  

I agree.  Walden looked shaky to start out. He failed to set the edge on one of the big runs but then made a play on the next play.  I thought Werner did well on the edge.  Newsome struggled and it was clear he still needs to gain some more strength, but that's to be expected.  He was one of the smaller DE/OLB drafted.  The NFL draft profile listed him at 6'3 and 247 lbs.  

I think the Walden play you're talking about was the read option. So that's both good and bad. Walden still crashing too hard to pick up option plays, but as we played more read option teams last year, we started using a scrape/exchange that worked really well, with Jerrell Freeman responsible for backside containment. That's better because he's more athletic than Walden. 

I'm still watching the game, so I can't say anything about Newsome setting the edge yet. And Werner was mostly at Rush, so the responsibility is a little different.

Back to my nitpick of Moncrief: Use your hands to catch the ball. He makes this catch at the 11 yard line late in the second quarter, with three defenders around him, but none close enough to make a play. The ball is a little high, but he should be able to put his hands up and snag it. Instead, he jumps into the air and catches the ball into his body. By the time he comes down, the defenders are on him and he has no chance of YAC. If he snags it with his hands, he might be able to get vertical and beat somebody on his way to the endzone. 

It's a refinement that he needs to make, and if he does, it will make him a lot better. 

Andy Studebaker filled in at ILB most of the game, which makes sense with the injuries to Sheppard and A. Jackson. Studebaker looked decent on the inside. I kept wondering why Pat Angerer was on the field for us...

Anyways, Studebaker's ability to play inside and out, and do both reasonably well, helps his chances of making the team. Not to mention his all-out special teams play.