Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

OG Donald Thomas re-tore quad.

MTC

this is ridiculous, the season is like 2 months away and we alerady have 2 guys on IR

Better now when there is still time to replace them though.

That's why Mewhort was drafted.  Any injury is worse when it happens to an o line body.  Just the way it is when u are that tall and have that much weight on your leg.  Look at centers in basketball.  Once they get a foot or leg injury about 3/4 of the time it keeps happening until they retire.  

In any case I'm pretty sure they will have already moved on from Donald Thomas.  A lot of money for two games.

Sucks, but we drafted Jack Mewhort in the 2nd round, time to see if he can play. So Mewhort and Moncrief are, in all likelihood, future starters, and we have been hearing good things about Jonathan Newsome in camp, what if we walk away from this past draft with 3 solid players in limited picks? Could be a pretty good draft by Grigson. 

Firstly I'm not here for likes, secondly these forums are here for colts fans to express their opinions as fans etc., and thats what I'm doing.  Im pretty sure there have been topics you have whined and complained about as Im "doing now".  To answer your question, I think we should give Mewhert or Ulrich a chance at the spot

I am pretty sure Ulrich John really is a tackle project.

Mewhort, Louis, and Reitz will battle it out for the starting spot. I guess you could throw UDFA's Jonotthan Harrison, Josh Walker and Chad Anderson in the mix too. Nixon played some LG  last year in week 15 started week 16.  That about covers the G's on the roster.

This could get Harrison to at least the practice squad may even the final 53 if he is as good as some seemed to think. There was a lot of buzz when we signed him about what a great pick up he was. He is primarily a C who can play G as of now Mewhort is our only depth at C unless someone else can snap...

Grigs has selected Thorton(3)- Holmes(5)- Mewhort(2) the future of the interior O Line in the last two drafts. It looks like the future is now.

Although I could see them going with Louis/Reitz on the other side of Holmes based on experience if it is close. Let Mewhort cut his teeth as a 3 position back up.  

Not a lot has really changed we need Holmes to step in and take control of the line.

Mewhort, Louis, and Reitz will battle it out for the starting spot. I guess you could throw UDFA's Jonotthan Harrison, Josh Walker and Chad Anderson in the mix too. Nixon played some LG last year in week 15 started week 16. That about covers the G's on the roster.

This could get Harrison to at least the practice squad may even the final 53 if he is as good as some seemed to think. There was a lot of buzz when we signed him about what a great pick up he was. He is primarily a C who can play G as of now Mewhort is our only depth at C unless someone else can snap...

Grigs has selected Thorton(3)- Holmes(5)- Mewhort(2) the future of the interior O Line in the last two drafts. It looks like the future is now.

Although I could see them going with Louis/Reitz on the other side of Holmes based on experience if it is close. Let Mewhort cut his teeth as a 3 position back up.

Not a lot has really changed we need Holmes to step in and take control of the line.

You are correct John has been projected as a T but played everywhere on the line in college

Mewhort, Louis, and Reitz will battle it out for the starting spot. I guess you could throw UDFA's Jonotthan Harrison, Josh Walker and Chad Anderson in the mix too. Nixon played some LG  last year in week 15 started week 16.  That about covers the G's on the roster.

This could get Harrison to at least the practice squad may even the final 53 if he is as good as some seemed to think. There was a lot of buzz when we signed him about what a great pick up he was. He is primarily a C who can play G as of now Mewhort is our only depth at C unless someone else can snap...

Grigs has selected Thorton(3)- Holmes(5)- Mewhort(2) the future of the interior O Line in the last two drafts. It looks like the future is now.

Although I could see them going with Louis/Reitz on the other side of Holmes based on experience if it is close. Let Mewhort cut his teeth as a 3 position back up.  

Yea i am really looking forward to seeing Holmes solidify the line.  I also thought Nixon played well last year, wouldn't be surprised to see him in the mix at G.

this is not correct from what I have gathered...  he had a very serious tear of "muscle from muscle" ...   not tendon in his quad.       That is the way Chappel broke it down last season, now this season it may be a tendon tear?   All I know is it was a NASTY injury as far as muscle tears go..      HUGE difference.    I said it last season..   that it was a injury he very may well not come back from.

What happens when the strength of the muscle exceeds the tear-strength of the tendons? Donald Thomas should know. Apparently, he has exceeded the physical limits of his body. The training staff is probably aware that this is an individual limit - it varies from player to player - so one size does not fit all. Stronger does not always mean better.

Firstly I'm not here for likes, secondly these forums are here for colts fans to express their opinions as fans etc., and thats what I'm doing.  Im pretty sure there have been topics you have whined and complained about as Im "doing now".  To answer your question, I think we should give Mewhert or Ulrich a chance at the spot

You're probably right, I probably did whined and complained at some point.  But I realize that it adds nothing to the conversation.

I'm sure Mewhort and Ulrich will get their chances.  You said we had nothing but rookie guards left.  That's not true.  Thornton has a year under his belt and Louis has started games.  You may think he's a scrub, but he's an experienced scrub. 

I still don't think Nixon is all that great. 

I hope Mewhort is as good as we all hope he is! 

I do too.  I liked him at OSU, but that was at a different position.  I wasn't talking about Nixon at guard, I mentioned Lance Louis.

Once you get hurt you are more susceptible to injury whether due to weakness, or being too tentative after the fact... and hoping it doesn't happen again. I was thinking Mewhort would be a starter soon rather than later, but not this way. 

Better now when there is still time to replace them though.

That's why Mewhort was drafted.  Any injury is worse when it happens to an o line body.  Just the way it is when u are that tall and have that much weight on your leg.  Look at centers in basketball.  Once they get a foot or leg injury about 3/4 of the time it keeps happening until they retire.  

In any case I'm pretty sure they will have already moved on from Donald Thomas.  A lot of money for two games.

i was just thinking about the same...it sucks cause i really liked him

Once you get hurt you are more susceptible to injury whether due to weakness, or being too tentative after the fact... and hoping it doesn't happen again. I was thinking Mewhort would be a starter soon rather than later, but not this way.

I'm uncomfortable with a rookie starting in the O-line for a (hopefully) playoff bound team

..but it is what it is

"A" rookie?   Holmes may as well be on also..    

KH      NO games started   2nd season

Mew    No games started   Rookie

H Thor  second season.... 

I love the potential...     but WOW, starting the year right out of the gate with this much inexperience is risky...    I can totally see a move coming...   maybe even a big one.

I'm uncomfortable with a rookie starting in the O-line for a (hopefully) playoff bound team

..but it is what it is

..but it is what it is

I know, but the whole line is going to be young with limited starts except for Castonzo. I'm hoping Mewhort will at least give us some stability that we have not have there for some time... and we will have to hope for the best unlike a lot of people on here. 

If the guy has torn his quad twice now and can't even make through a practice that isn't even full force, then he just needs to be cut. Injury settlement him and move on. May not be in need of cap space, but too much cap space is never a bad thing with a team like we have already. Let's us make bigger and better moves next year.

If the guy has torn his quad twice now and can't even make through a practice that isn't even full force, then he just needs to be cut. Injury settlement him and move on. May not be in need of cap space, but too much cap space is never a bad thing with a team like we have already. Let's us make bigger and better moves next year.

He can't play this season . His injury and surgery will prevent that. So an injury settlement won't be happening

You're probably right, I probably did whined and complained at some point.  But I realize that it adds nothing to the conversation.

I'm sure Mewhort and Ulrich will get their chances.  You said we had nothing but rookie guards left.  That's not true.  Thornton has a year under his belt and Louis has started games.  You may think he's a scrub, but he's an experienced scrub.

I should have been more clear in my statement, I actually happen to be quite fond of Thorton (I forgot to mention him in the earlier quote of mine ) I think he played well for a rookie given the circumstances, and am looking forward to seeing any improvements he's made this offseason.

You are correct John has been projected as a T but played everywhere on the line in college

key word in my post was project. I don't think it is highly likely a 7th round pick no one seemed to know about except Grigs is going to win the starting LG spot but stranger things have happened.