Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brazil just got cut (merge)

BlueShoe

Bye bye birdie Brazill

ALL ABOARD THE THOMAS TRAIN https://imgflip.com/gif/a8oze

love this kid could see him making the 53 man if he can return K's he should be on the practice squad for sure probably allowing us to keep 5 WR's freeing up a spot for a more important position. Really 87 TY Nicks Moncrief and if Roger's has done half what they are saying we don't need a 6th unless he is an explosive kick/ punt returner. Is Thomas? We will see I hope so.

Now we have our top 6 receivers. Only decision that still has to be made is whether we keep 5 or 6.

I am not so sure that the coaches are as high on Whalen as the board. They have brought in 5 UDFA's at WR held Lenz that is more players than at any other position. I think they may be looking for something. We don't need a WR what we need is a PR not named TY that can strike fear in people. We have a good punter and a HOF K if we get a field flipper returning K's oh boy we could really do somethings. All 3 phases.

I am not so sure that the coaches are as high on Whalen as the board. They have brought in 5 UDFA's at WR held Lenz that is more players than at any other position. I think they may be looking for something. We don't need a WR what we need is a PR not named TY that can strike fear in people. We have a good punter and a HOF K if we get a field flipper returning K's oh boy we could really do somethings. All 3 phases.

that washington wr is a punt returner but i don't think any of our wrs are devin hester type players.

of course they aren't. Fans have crazy love for Whalen for reasons coaches don't care about

Dude! I think the coaches love Griff Whalen; so does the quarterback.  Whalen is smart, he gets open and he catches the ball, three good things in a receiver.  But the real reason Whalen would have beaten out Brazill is because Whalen is our punt returner.  The Colts cannot have T.Y. Hilton returning punts;if T.Y. got injured returning a punt, the whole coaching staff should be fired.  I think Andrew Luck could be a good punt returner too, but I hope they don't use him,  So who else do we have?  Let's think. We need someone who is smart, catches the ball and can get open in tight spaces.  Someone who is a backup  What about our best punt returner from last year?

Too bad about Brazill...for the Colts.

In his draft year Brazill was ranked 39 of 282 WRs and was projected to go in the 5th or 6th round...Whalen was 79 of 282 projected UDFA.

This year's UDFAs are ranked as...Tony Washington 60 of 326, Ryan Lankford 73 of 326, Eric Thomas 77 of 326,

Aaron Burks 88 of 326, Greg Moore 171 of 326.

.....from NFL Draft Scout Rankings

FWIW

that washington wr is a punt returner but i don't think any of our wrs are devin hester type players.

There are not too many Devin Hester's dude. We don't want TY back there I am just saying we have brought in more UDAF WR than at any other position must be a reason I am guessing a returner seeing that WR is one of the strongest groups on the team. We will see what we have in training camp.

Not that I'm too broken up over this but I think we would have been better off holding onto Brazill on the suspended list and bring him into compete next year.

This Burks guy was a backup in college, I don't think he even has a chance at making the practice squad.  Feels to me that there was a chance of finding a player who has a better shot at making the squad.  

I'd honestly rather have gone and brought in a stater at the D2 or D3 level and given them a chance then get a career backup at the D1 level.

The only college career backup that I know of that has done anything in the NFL is Matt Cassel.  

Not that I'm too broken up over this but I think we would have been better off holding onto Brazill on the suspended list and bring him into compete next year.

This Burks guy was a backup in college, I don't think he even has a chance at making the practice squad.  Feels to me that there was a chance of finding a player who has a better shot at making the squad.  

I'd honestly rather have gone and brought in a stater at the D2 or D3 level and given them a chance then get a career backup at the D1 level.

The only college career backup that I know of that has done anything in the NFL is Matt Cassel.  

In such a situation it is best to cut ties with Brazill. The guy likely wouldn't have been around much longer anyway, and it is likely that whenever Reggie Wayne retires we will be drafting another receiver to fill his spot. Use that spot for someone who can keep their act together.

So much discussion over a player from a small school, who was picked in the sixth round, and contributed little while he was here. 

No...he didn't really have that much talent or potential, but...for some reason....garnered a lot of support.

So much discussion over a player from a small school, who was picked in the sixth round, and contributed little while he was here. 

No...he didn't really have that much talent or potential, but...for some reason....garnered a lot of support.

your not saying just because he was from a small school he does not have any  talent are ya?

All of that is true but the guy did stay on the roster for 2 years.  It wasn't like this guy was on the roster for a few weeks and sent packing.

He had plenty of potential as he showed in brief flashes in games... but would have have been buried on the depth chart this year.

It really is too bad that he couldn't keep his nose clean... but thus is life. 

I hope we keep 6 WRs and Whalen is one of them.  I'm not sure why people are down on him.  Last year, if you watch his plays closely, even where he wasn't targeted, the guy got open A LOT but Luck didn't have time to go through his progression to spot him. 

He has sure hands, is shifty in space, and does a heck of a job as a PR.

Unless they can find someone among the new crop of WRs that can fill his role as a chain mover and PR then I say keep him.

I know a lot of people compare him to Welker... I don't give him that much credit yet, but he is reliable and that is important.

your not saying just because he was from a small school he does not have any  talent are ya?

Absolutley not.  I'm just saying that if he went to a small school, he was probably not that highly recruited out of high school.  Just doesn't have the talent pedigree...and his draft position and NFL productivity reflects it. 

I'd say the same thing about Whalen, and all of the attention he brings (but I'm not going to bother posting on the Whalen thread).

Its just seems weird that so much attention is focused on the 5th or 6th WR spot.  Those guys drop on and off NFL rosters all of the time, don't they?  Why the constant discussion?

Absolutley not. I'm just saying that if he went to a small school, he was probably not that highly recruited out of high school. Just doesn't have the talent pedigree...and his draft position and NFL productivity reflects it.

I'd say the same thing about Whalen, and all of the attention he brings (but I'm not going to bother posting on the Whalen thread).

Its just seems weird that so much attention is focused on the 5th or 6th WR spot. Those guys drop on and off NFL rosters all of the time, don't they? Why the constant discussion?

1. Colts fans love wr's

2. Colts fans love Whalen. Why? I have my theories

Absolutley not.  I'm just saying that if he went to a small school, he was probably not that highly recruited out of high school.  Just doesn't have the talent pedigree...and his draft position and NFL productivity reflects it. 

Its just seems weird that so much attention is focused on the 5th or 6th WR spot.  Those guys drop on and off NFL rosters all of the time, don't they?  Why the constant discussion?

"Its just seems weird that so much attention is focused on the 5th or 6th WR spot.  Those guys drop on and off NFL rosters all of the time, don't they?  Why the constant discussion?"

Because that 5th or 6th Wide Receiver has potential to be somebody if scouts and coaching staff know what they are looking at....Not all scouts or GM's are great at spotting things that can make up a great or good player at all positions, In time that 5th-6th WR (provided he has the physical talent) can work his way up to #2 or maybe even #1

Because that 5th or 6th Wide Receiver has potential to be somebody if scouts and coaching staff know what they are looking at....Not all scouts or GM's are great at spotting things that can make up a great or good player at all positions, In time that 5th-6th WR (provided he has the physical talent) can work his way up to #2 or maybe even #1

I don't disagree with your theory, but I can't think of a time or a team where a 6th round draft choice or an UDFA ended up being a number 2 or 1.  Not that it hasn't happened, its just so infrequent that its not even a realistic possibility to chatter about, IMO.  Its much more likely that those guys bounce back and forth on and off the roster, on different teams, sign minimum contracts, and sometimes make a decent impact during one season.

And before the word "Welker" gets typed as an example....he is a receiver who benefitted from a niche, completely QB-centric, offense.  His success in the league came at a time when the teams he played for had no running game.  He is a long handoff, who can occasionally fool a DB and beat him intermediately.  In that type of an offense, a WR can get his catches and rack up stats like he is a real 1 or 2....but that doesn't mean he is a real 1 or 2. 

Calvin Johnson, Marvin, Fitz, AJ Green, etc....are guys that are real 1's or 2's and they don't go in the 6th or later. 

There are several reasons for it.

1. People like to root for the underdog.  I think it's in the blood of a lot of Americans because this country was founded by underdogs.  And then we were the underdog in the Revolutionary War...It was pretty common knowledge that no one could defeat the British Empire.
  2. People develop a liking for a particular player and no matter what happens they support and build up that player.
  3. In the case of Whalen, expanding on the underdog theory, when that underdog gets a chance and plays consistently well that player gets a following.

I don't have any illusions of Whalen becoming a #2 (although it does happen... Colston comes immediately to mind) but when a team can find an undrafted FA that becomes an integral part of the team and helps them win games that is exciting for fans, which leads to the 4th reason why it's a discussion.

4.  Fans want bragging rights, if they talk about a late round or UDFA and that player does actually turn             into something they can brag and claim they saw it in him all along.  Petty, but no less true because of           that (plus I do it to).

I don't disagree with your theory, but I can't think of a time or a team where a 6th round draft choice or an UDFA ended up being a number 2 or 1.  Not that it hasn't happened, its just so infrequent that its not even a realistic possibility to chatter about, IMO.  Its much more likely that those guys bounce back and forth on and off the roster, on different teams, sign minimum contracts, and sometimes make a decent impact during one season.

And before the word "Welker" gets typed as an example....he is a receiver who benefitted from a niche, completely QB-centric, offense.  His success in the league came at a time when the teams he played for had no running game.  He is a long handoff, who can occasionally fool a DB and beat him intermediately.  In that type of an offense, a WR can get his catches and rack up stats like he is a real 1 or 2....but that doesn't mean he is a real 1 or 2. 

Calvin Johnson, Marvin, Fitz, AJ Green, etc....are guys that are real 1's or 2's and they don't go in the 6th or later. 

Because a lot of times good depth makes the difference between a good team and an average team.

No one considers Whalen a starter and I think everyone would say his absolute ceiling is being a cheap #3 option.  

But last year after the injury of Reggie Wayne there are several games there that we don't win without Whalen.  Same goes for Rogers who has a higher ceiling.  Brazil also contributed.

After Wayne got injured and the coaching staff finally figured out that DHB just can't catch, we had to rely on these guys to win football games.

I mean seriously if you watched all last year and you can't figure out why those roster spots are important I'm not sure I can help you much more then that.  

So now that I've established that the roster spots are important the reason we are discussing them is that it is or was a controversial decision as to which ones we kept.  There is no debate that Wayne, Nicks, Hilton and Moncrief all make the roster.  But there was a strong debate between Rogers, Whalen, and Brazil.  At least 1 possibly 2 where going to make the roster.  But it's a question of who.

Brazil exited himself from that debate however.  So right now the debate is sort of Rogers, Whalen or both.

We love potential. Thinking of a natural progression 2-3 years out and how good our player should become.

Brazill was quoted as saying he didn`t watch NFL football growing up. Didn`t even watch it after he got to college.
 He ran just a couple short easy routes with a few straight ahead deep runs and Andrew completed 44% of his passes to him last season. lmao

I`m would believe there are Plenty of UDFA`s available every year with better potential than this _____! A blessing to move forward without him.

Can't say I am upset to see him leave. He really did next nothing while he was here. About the only thing I remember standing out was a big TD catch vs. the Lions a couple of years ago in one of our comeback wins.

Whalen was the better option all along anyway. Made more plays than Brazill over the course of last season and got open a lot more from what I could tell.