Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Sheldon Price our CB of the future?

akcolt

I have been waiting all summer to hear something on this guy. He had everything you want in a corner just lacked strength coming out. It sounds like he has added that. He was mentioned specifically in the  OTA week two report:

Taking a look down at the roster and another corner looks a bit different then he did last year.

Sheldon Priceicon-article-link.gif, who spent virtually the entire 2013 season on the Colts practice squad, is up to 200 pounds to go along with his 6-2 height.

Impressive pro day numbers with link:

Pro Day Results: 6'2" 189 pounds; 4.42 40-yard dash; 39" vertical jump; 10'6" broad jump http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1566048-ucla-football-complete-pro-day-results-and-analysis/page/9

NFL.COM had him at 180 lbs either way he is up to 200 this year and ready to roll. I am really interested to see what a year on the practice squad/weight program can do. Here is draft profile coming out of UCLA:  

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/profiles/sheldon-price?id=2539670

Could be... and he does have good measurables but the knock on him coming out of college was that he has poor mechanics.  IN the NFL, especially for the CB position speed and agility are nice and needed but mechanics are the key (it's one of the reason why Davis is such a good CB).  If he doesn't turn at right time and the right way then he will be out of position.  

Another report I read said he has trouble making plays when his back is to the ball... sounds a lot like Vaughn in that respect.

He should be fun to watch during the preseason and if he is able to take what the coaches teach him and apply it on the field then he could be a good find.

Could be... and he does have good measurables but the knock on him coming out of college was that he has poor mechanics.  IN the NFL, especially for the CB position speed and agility are nice and needed but mechanics are the key (it's one of the reason why Davis is such a good CB).  If he doesn't turn at right time and the right way then he will be out of position.  

Another report I read said he has trouble making plays when his back is to the ball... sounds a lot like Vaughn in that respect.

He should be fun to watch during the preseason and if he is able to take what the coaches teach him and apply it on the field then he could be a good find.

Mechanics are teachable however, and Pagano was touted as a DB guru, so I think Price has a real shot at being a good player, he just needs to put it all together. 

I am excited to see Price and Cox play in the preseason. If we shore up our CB situation we could be really building the monster. I think we all agree the front 7 should be much improved.

Mechanics are teachable however, and Pagano was touted as a DB guru, so I think Price has a real shot at being a good player, he just needs to put it all together. 

They are teachable but that doesn't mean that an individual player will learn them and more importantly does not mean that a player can translate that onto the field during a game.

That is why every year on every team there are players that seem to do well in the preseason and they seem to have a lot of "potential" and then fans are shocked when they don't make the final 53. And there are other players that, according to fans, did next to nothing in the preseason yet make the team.  It's because fans look at stats and impact on the game, coaches are looking at if and how the player applied what they have been taught and practiced for the past so many weeks/months.

Price was absolutely terrible in last year's pre-season, and at that time I was surprised he made the team.  In particular, the Buffalo Bills preseason game that I attended.  He was totally lost.

That said, in Grigson's post season speech he mentioned Sheldon Price specifically as one who showed great improvement.

My guess is he will be joining the corner battle and have a good shot at a solid back-up position.  200 lbs and added muscle...priceless!  (HMMM Price-full? :))

Price was absolutely terrible in last year's pre-season, and at that time I was surprised he made the team.  In particular, the Buffalo Bills preseason game that I attended.  He was totally lost.

That said, in Grigson's post season speech he mentioned Sheldon Price specifically as one who showed great improvement.

My guess is he will be joining the corner battle and have a good shot at a solid back-up position.  200 lbs and added muscle...priceless!  (HMMM Price-full? :))

In the day of larger physical wideouts he could pay major dividends .

The kid has potential from what I hear. On his draft profile he was expected to be a 3rd-5th rounder. Maybe he can step up this year and take over for Toler, giving us that big, physical corner we all want next to Vontae. I hope Purifoy steps up too and our CB's are Davis, Toler, Butler, Price, Purifoy, and Gordy with Cox on the P.S.

I am excited to see Price and Cox play in the preseason. If we shore up our CB situation we could be really building the monster. I think we all agree the front 7 should be much improved.

This year has got to be one of the most exciting years to actually watch the preseason games properly because there is so much potential behind our starters. It will be really interesting to see which of them "get it" and which of them don't!

This year has got to be one of the most exciting years to actually watch the preseason games properly because there is so much potential behind our starters. It will be really interesting to see which of them "get it" and which of them don't!

It will be a very intriguing TC

Unless he's improved a ridiculous amount since his UCLA days, no. But Sherman had bad tape too, so we'll see.. Pagano magic?

I am not sure why everyone thinks he was so bad coming out of UCLA here's the link: He is big ran in the 4.4's that is encouraging to me

Strengths

Has prototypical height for an outside corner. Matches up well with tall receivers with his length, can use those long arms to press off the line, maintain contact down the sideline, and knock away passes in front of his man without interfering. Also wraps his long arms around receivers quickly after the catch to drag them down. Possesses enough short-area foot quickness to stay with receivers on inside and outside routes when playing on the line. Succeeds in playing the ball and making tackles in trail coverage. Good hip flexibility for his size, can turn-and-run with most receivers when in balance. Flashes excellent ball skills, can extend from his frame to bring in poor throws for the interception whether in man or zone.

Bottom Line

An athletic cornerback whose height and length will be coveted by NFL defensive coordinators, Price elevated his game as a senior, proving that he could be a playmaker after missing five games the past two seasons with right knee issues. He will likely find himself selected in the third-to-fifth round range.

He is deal was he was skinny and lacked strength he is now 200lbs I am not saying he is the next Sherman but he is one guy I was really interested in seeing after a year on the PS he knows the defense and sounds like he has added at the least some size I would assume strength as well

We will see soon enough.

I agree Grigs constantly has said he hasn't gone after this guy or that because they aren't better than what we have now. I really want to see who he was talking about. Price was mentioned by name.

I am not sure why everyone thinks he was so bad coming out of UCLA here's the link: He is big ran in the 4.4's that is encouraging to me

Strengths

Has prototypical height for an outside corner. Matches up well with tall receivers with his length, can use those long arms to press off the line, maintain contact down the sideline, and knock away passes in front of his man without interfering. Also wraps his long arms around receivers quickly after the catch to drag them down. Possesses enough short-area foot quickness to stay with receivers on inside and outside routes when playing on the line. Succeeds in playing the ball and making tackles in trail coverage. Good hip flexibility for his size, can turn-and-run with most receivers when in balance. Flashes excellent ball skills, can extend from his frame to bring in poor throws for the interception whether in man or zone.

Bottom Line

An athletic cornerback whose height and length will be coveted by NFL defensive coordinators, Price elevated his game as a senior, proving that he could be a playmaker after missing five games the past two seasons with right knee issues. He will likely find himself selected in the third-to-fifth round range.

Because he wasn't good in college. I realize he's big and fast but that doesn't mean he's good.

Posted · Hidden by Superman, June 8, 2014 - off topic argument
Hidden by Superman, June 8, 2014 - off topic argument

Good to know you were at every practice last year and in the weight room....thanks for your incredible insight to the team....

I don't need to be at practice to know he's trash he was trash in college and he's still trash and for you to say he looked bad last preseason but then come with this weak reply you making yourself look stupid so leave it alone

I don't need to be at practice to know he's trash he was trash in college and he's still trash and for you to say he looked bad last preseason but then come with this weak reply you making yourself look stupid so leave it alone

Congratulations!

Yours might be one of the worst posts I've seen in my two years here.    And what makes it even better is that you insulted another poster and called him stupid.

You haven't posted much in the time since you joined which is more than a year.   Maybe you should re-think your approach.

What a spectacularly foolish post you made.   Good luck making friends and influencing people.....

He wasn't great, but he was hardly trash. He was pretty much a four year starter, and a track guy. He's got the size, and it sounds like he bulked up. Now he has to show he can play.

Why don't you at least make a case? I'm here to learn Colts information. If you have some on Price, please share it.

Edited by Superman

Because he wasn't good in college. I realize he's big and fast but that doesn't mean he's good.

I confess that I don't remember seeing him in college, but he started four years so he must have been decent. UCLA wasn't horrible when he was there. I read he had a decent pass defense percentage.

Again, I don't know a lot about him. Any Bruins or PAC 12 people out there to enlighten me?

Live in Alaska watch a lot of Pac 10 he had a game vs OSU he got torched on a long td and had a PI call that set up winning td or fg don't remember other than that he was pretty solid had a 3/5 round grade probably went undrafted due to concern about his knees. I don't get the hate. He was good enough for us to develop for a yr. he is a colt we will see when they put the pads on. Everything you read says has the tools needs to add strength. It's not to hard to read his draft profile links have been posted

Maybe you can find someone to read for you seems you know a lot about trash do us all a favor climb back inside the can

I confess that I don't remember seeing him in college, but he started four years so he must have been decent. UCLA wasn't horrible when he was there. I read he had a decent pass defense percentage.

Again, I don't know a lot about him. Any Bruins or PAC 12 people out there to enlighten me?

They weren't a very good program when he was there actually.. Mora hadn't come to town and turned them around until maybe his senior season

I'll come out and be straight up honest... Sheldon Price is NOT gonna be an impact corner-back this year, if he even makes the roster. At this point, he is still pretty raw. I would put Purifoy or Cox over him on the depth chart because those are more polished in skills and instincts then the physical freak that Price is.. Price was a UDFA because he was extremely raw. Cox was UDFA cause he played in a subpar conference against unproven recievers. Purifoy was UDFA because of large off-field concerns.

What will decide the winner of the 5th cornerback position is how the coaching staff evaluates Purifoy's off the field issues in the context of this year. If they think he can stuff it and play like a man without problems outside, then he makes the 5th corner slot because of ceiling and his extremely great special teams play. Heck he has even played snaps at WR! Purifoy is a good prospect and if we stock him in our PS he will make it next year (if no one takes him off our PS first)... The man is not afraid to blitz, play against the run, go against lineman and fullbacks, and press, OR play zone. 

The most likely winner of the 5th slot this year is Cox.. Staff probably won't trust Purifoy enough to grant him a roster spot. Cox has done great at JSU and has already shown up great at rookie mini-camp. 

I'll come out and be straight up honest... Sheldon Price is NOT gonna be an impact corner-back this year, if he even makes the roster. At this point, he is still pretty raw. I would put Purifoy or Cox over him on the depth chart because those are more polished in skills and instincts then the physical freak that Price is.. Price was a UDFA because he was extremely raw. Cox was UDFA cause he played in a subpar conference against unproven recievers. Purifoy was UDFA because of large off-field concerns.

What will decide the winner of the 5th cornerback position is how the coaching staff evaluates Purifoy's off the field issues in the context of this year. If they think he can stuff it and play like a man without problems outside, then he makes the 5th corner slot because of ceiling and his extremely great special teams play. Heck he has even played snaps at WR! Purifoy is a good prospect and if we stock him in our PS he will make it next year (if no one takes him off our PS first)... The man is not afraid to blitz, play against the run, go against lineman and fullbacks, and press, OR play zone. 

The most likely winner of the 5th slot this year is Cox.. Staff probably won't trust Purifoy enough to grant him a roster spot. Cox has done great at JSU and has already shown up great at rookie mini-camp.

We may carry 6 CBs, since Toler has an injury history. We've already talked about Purifoy, we don't know if he's the 2012 guy who showed great promise, or the 2013 guy who was slow and was smoked in SEC games. So I can't say he has potential, even forgetting all the off the field issues.

I can't make a claim about Cox, I know nothing about him. Small conference doesn't bother me. He has the measurables.

In an earlier post Brent talked about how Price looked lost in a preseason game last year. To me, that's the key. How fast can the pick up the scheme so they can just react and not flail away trying to figure out their assignments. Good DB play is at least as much mental as physical. Which guy(s) have that talent?

I think if Purifoy can get his act together he could be our future starting corner. He will have to work hard and i hope the kid has it in him. He was one of the top

corners in college a couple years ago. Has more talent than anyone we have at the corner position right now excluding Davis.

Price seems to have really good size, speed, and work ethic. So i really like his upside.

We will see this pre season who steps up. Cant wait!

I don't need to be at practice to know he's trash he was trash in college and he's still trash and for you to say he looked bad last preseason but then come with this weak reply you making yourself look stupid so leave it alon

Don't tell me what to do after your ignorant responses.  You are the one that looks incredibly stupid.

Grigson said he progressed well last year.  Thus he is still on the team.

I was the one above that said he had zero clue last preseason.  

All you do is make worthless snide comments.....please go back to your hole.

Strengths

Bottom Line

Why didn't you post the "weaknesses" from your link.

"WEAKNESSES

Lean build, must prove he can handle the physicality of NFL receivers in coverage and against the run. Needs to prove he has recovery and straight-line speed to be a reliable starter. Height can be a disadvantage against quicker receivers, gets high and leans back in his pedal at times, allowing his man to get separation at the top of their route. Gives too much cushion on occasion when playing off. Fails to break down on his tackles, will need to crank up the intensity to bring down NFL receivers up top. Gets overly physical downfield at times, especially when behind a step, drawing penalty flags."

Live in Alaska watch a lot of Pac 10 he had a game vs OSU he got torched on a long td and had a PI call that set up winning td or fg don't remember other than that he was pretty solid had a 3/5 round grade probably went undrafted due to concern about his knees. I don't get the hate. He was good enough for us to develop for a yr. he is a colt we will see when they put the pads on. Everything you read says has the tools needs to add strength. It's not to hard to read his draft profile links have been posted

Yes and might ad were not bad at all ,seemed biggest knock was being to lean,now that's not really an issue .Knees have had a chance to rest so lets see how that plays out.Who knows ,training camp and preseason should show us what we need to know.