Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rotoworld: Thomas can play Center

akcolt

"If Mewhort emerges as starter"

Once again, if this & if that

I'm gonna be real upset if we spent a 4th rounder on a C (Holmes) we had no intention of playing

Could've drafted a CB or Safety or pass rusher

It's a fourth rounder; I'd guess getting a backup there is par for the course.

It's a fourth rounder; I'd guess getting a backup there is par for the course.

You can get a quality player in the 4th. 5-7 is when you're probably getting depth. But even then, with the right scouts you can find starters in any round

4th is still pretty high/loaded, so yeah I'll be upset if they just throw Holmes to the wayside

I'm sure there were at least 5 players still sitting there at our pick that would be starting for us now if not a key contributor

That is what I was thinking so Holmes ends up being a 3 position back up at least we will have a nasty O Line and Luck won't have pressure in his face the whole game. It would be nice to be able to keep him clean can't keep taking so many hits

If Mewhowrt pushes a healthy Thomas to C  he must be pretty good. Again I just want a good O Line don't care who was drafted where.

I hope Mewhort, Holmes and Thornton play so well Thomas is pushed to the bench.  If you remember the last two seasons, it might be nice to have a backup O lineman who can actually play.  Whatever we think now about the O line is just a hopeful guess, for Grigson and Pagano too I bet.  

Not going to happen

I can understand why someone might believe that; however, there is some credence to the idea. Like anyone else, I cannot predict the future. That said, I believe that Mewhort is going to start somewhere. Where he starts is still up in the air. My best guess is that he starts at LG, and when it is all said and done, the best player for center will win the battle in camp.  

I hope Mewhort, Holmes and Thornton play so well Thomas is pushed to the bench. If you remember the last two seasons, it might be nice to have a backup O lineman who can actually play. Whatever we think now about the O line is just a hopeful guess, for Grigson and Pagano too I bet.

................................ Why do you want Thomas on the bench?

And you came to the conclusion that Holmes is Samson 2.0 how?

Actually he's not. Satele is much stronger than this guy. Unless you want to constantly see Holmes pushed back into luck's pocket, then we shouldn't start him. I've watched Holmes play before.

Actually he's not. Satele is much stronger than this guy. Unless you want to constantly see Holmes pushed back into luck's pocket, then we shouldn't start him. I've watched Holmes play before.

Aren't you the same guy who called for the heads of our front office cause they didn't draft some offensive lineman? Who's currently a UDFA?

I don't believe there's anyone currently in the NFL who's weaker than Samson

And in the time since you last seen him he could have improved his strength and overall play.

Aren't you the same guy who called for the heads of our front office cause they didn't draft some offensive lineman? Who's currently a UDFA?

I don't believe there's anyone currently in the NFL who's weaker than Samson

Not me.

And yes, he's very weak.That's why he was basically redshirted last year.

If anyone other than Holmes starts at center barring injury than I won't listen to anything Grigson says about any player. Grigs is very confident with Holmes and reiterates it every chance he gets.

:scoregood:

#1 reason I'd be upset if we don't start Holmes

I'm the type that takes peoples words seriously. He said Holmes is our guy, so stick to your words like Velcro

Not me.

And yes, he's very weak.That's why he was basically redshirted last year.

He wasn't redshirted, he was basically given the same thing Josh Chapman was given when he got here

Recover from injury, then show us your skill. Had nothing to do with his strength. He was battling through what I believe was an ankle injury, I might be wrong on what was injured but I believe it was ankle

Well considering the last time you saw Holmes and Satele play, one was in college and the other in the NFL, so yes, I hope Satele would be stronger. 

"If Mewhort emerges as starter"

Once again, if this & if that

I'm gonna be real upset if we spent a 4th rounder on a C (Holmes) we had no intention of playing

Could've drafted a CB or Safety or pass rusher

If you want to be * about a pick try Werner I know we could have gotten something in the first round why take a project in the first

I hope Thomas is back to full health by TC, and that he is our starter at LG. I am pretty confident that Holmes will be the starting center, and will look good doing it. I also believe that Thornton will be light years better than he was last year. 

Best case scenario is that Jack Mewhort gets something of a redshirt year because everybody else is healthy, and in 2015 or 2016 he is the LG of the future. Good teams groom their offensive linemen for the future.....it's probably the hardest transition from college to the NFL excluding QB. 

:scoregood:

#1 reason I'd be upset if we don't start Holmes

I'm the type that takes peoples words seriously. He said Holmes is our guy, so stick to your words like Velcro

So, I guess you were happy that they stuck by Satele and McGlynn the past 2 seasons.

The best guy should win the job in TC and preseason. It should not be gifted to Holmes because the coach and GM say he's great in the offseason and not because he was a coveted 4th round pick (something like 60% of them are out of the league in 3 years).

The only way Thomas moves to center is if (A) Holmes gets hurt, or (B) Holmes flames out.    And there's no reason to think Holmes will flame out.

It's been said before but it's worth repeating....   Grigson has said he's been a part of three different franchise that all went to the Super Bowl WITH a free agent center.   (St. Louis, Philly, Indy)     So, if Grigson believes you can win with a free agent center and he then uses a 4th round pick on a center, then I think it's safe to say he believes STRONGLY in Holmes.    He's going to give the kid every chance to earn the job. 

The Holmes people have seen clips of is the Holmes who was hurt in college.   Holmes had a badly sprained ankle in college -- one of those high ankle sprains that are so crippling.   USC was under severe NCAA sanctions, so they were playing with a very small roster and only had a freshman back-up center.    So Holmes played when he shouldn't have.   He took one for the team.  He played when he should have been resting and healing.     THAT'S the Holmes people here have seen clips of. 

When healthy,  Holmes was a highly regarded very effective center.    No reason to think he won't be healthy and effective for the Colts.     Grigson believes in him, so people here better brace themselves for the future and the future is Khalid Holmes.   At least until he proves otherwise......

You can get a quality player in the 4th. 5-7 is when you're probably getting depth. But even then, with the right scouts you can find starters in any round

4th is still pretty high/loaded, so yeah I'll be upset if they just throw Holmes to the wayside

I'm sure there were at least 5 players still sitting there at our pick that would be starting for us now if not a key contributor

You really need to stop getting upset about nothing. Time you tried beer.

What makes anyone think this is good news?  This team has two completely unproven entities at the C position that they are considering in Thomas who has never played there in his professional life and in Holmes who is in his second year.  That they even are considering another starter makes it pretty obvious that Holmes is not working out the way they wanted.  I have very little hope that the O-line will be much improved. 

What makes anyone think this is good news? This team has two completely unproven entities at the C position that they are considering in Thomas who has never played there in his professional life and in Holmes who is in his second year. That they even are considering another starter makes it pretty obvious that Holmes is not working out the way they wanted. I have very little hope that the O-line will be much improved.

O' ye of little hope, hehe.

What makes anyone think this is good news? This team has two completely unproven entities at the C position that they are considering in Thomas who has never played there in his professional life and in Holmes who is in his second year. That they even are considering another starter makes it pretty obvious that Holmes is not working out the way they wanted. I have very little hope that the O-line will be much improved.

The "they" who are doing the considering are just fans on this forum. Nothing is obvious from that.

What makes anyone think this is good news?  This team has two completely unproven entities at the C position that they are considering in Thomas who has never played there in his professional life and in Holmes who is in his second year.  That they even are considering another starter makes it pretty obvious that Holmes is not working out the way they wanted.  I have very little hope that the O-line will be much improved. 

No one has said anything about the coaching staff considering this. This was speculation by rotowire, not information from the coaching staff.

No one has said anything about the coaching staff considering this. This was speculation by rotowire, not information from the coaching staff.

My mistake than, I thought this was something more than simple fan speculation. I thought there was some source somewhere.

How many reps is Thomas receiving at OTAs? And out of that total.... How many are at center? Oh, and who is this Holmes guy everyone keeps on bring up?

Sorry.....   I started to respond and now I've deleted it.....    my bad.....    (I think?)     :thmup:

The only way Thomas moves to center is if (A) Holmes gets hurt, or (B) Holmes flames out.    And there's no reason to think Holmes will flame out.

It's been said before but it's worth repeating....   Grigson has said he's been a part of three different franchise that all went to the Super Bowl WITH a free agent center.   (St. Louis, Philly, Indy)     So, if Grigson believes you can win with a free agent center and he then uses a 4th round pick on a center, then I think it's safe to say he believes STRONGLY in Holmes.    He's going to give the kid every chance to earn the job. 

The Holmes people have seen clips of is the Holmes who was hurt in college.   Holmes had a badly sprained ankle in college -- one of those high ankle sprains that are so crippling.   USC was under severe NCAA sanctions, so they were playing with a very small roster and only had a freshman back-up center.    So Holmes played when he shouldn't have.   He took one for the team.  He played when he should have been resting and healing.     THAT'S the Holmes people here have seen clips of. 

When healthy,  Holmes was a highly regarded very effective center.    No reason to think he won't be healthy and effective for the Colts.     Grigson believes in him, so people here better brace themselves for the future and the future is Khalid Holmes.   At least until he proves otherwise......

I would say the future is very uncertain until Holmes proves otherwise.

There was an article about Grigs himself going on about how Thomas could snap now this thing from Rotoworld saying Thomas could play C of Mewhowrt beats out Thomas.

To me that says Thomas is better lineman than Holmes if Mewhowrt can win LG Thomas is the C not sure why that is so bad you want your best players playing unless you are Frank Vogel

I would say the future is very uncertain until Holmes proves otherwise.

There was an article about Grigs himself going on about how Thomas could snap now this thing from Rotoworld saying Thomas could play C of Mewhowrt beats out Thomas.

To me that says Thomas is better lineman than Holmes if Mewhowrt can win LG Thomas is the C not sure why that is so bad you want your best players playing unless you are Frank Vogel

Let's see if we can't put this another way............

Thomas has never performed a single snap in an NFL regular season game.

The earliest he's back to practice appears to be the start of training camp,  but quite possibly later.

That means that Luck and Holmes will be taking almost all the first string snaps -- if not all of them  -- during all off-season activities.

So, for Thomas to arrive back to playing shape sometime between late July and late August and suddenly beat out Holmes would mean that Holmes has just flamed out so badly that he couldn't even survive pre-season games.

And, from my perspective,  there's simply no reason to (A) assume Holmes would be that bad, and (B) assume Thomas could suddenly and almost miraculously get himself up to speed at center when his focus is going to be at guard.

The mentions of Thomas and Mewhort at center are simply to show that if Holmes (A) gets hurt or (B) under performs that the team has back-up options.   I don't think in any way they're to imply that either guy has a chance to beat-out Holmes to start if Holmes is at the top of his game.

Hopefully this offers a different perspective for consideration.........