Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bjoern Werner, time to step up!

BlueCollarColts

just look at the broncos last year, they lost von miller for 6 games and played like he was never there. We should be fine.

The broncos were better set on D to deal with the loss of Miller than we are without Mathis... This is a huge blow to our pass rush and thus defense..... 18 is gonna be pretty happy hearing this... He will have all day to tear us apart... not good.

The broncos were better set on D to deal with the loss of Miller than we are without Mathis... This is a huge blow to our pass rush and thus defense..... 18 is gonna be pretty happy hearing this... He will have all day to tear us apart... not good.

true. We need one of our guys to break out this year starting week 1. Hopefully it's werner, possibly newsome or maybe even walden. 

Much last last year when Landry went down and Howell came in made a name for himself, now he's a starter. I see the same situation traspiring with one of our linebackers.... Probably Werner. Looking back at last years draft I have to think that Grigson drafted Werner to take over for Walden in year 3 of his deal (next year). I'm no hater of Walden either. I think he has done a fine job. But, at the same time, we need to get younger on defense. And Waldens money could be put to The Andrew Luck Fund.

This actually gives Werner ample time to shine/prove himself. This could be a blessing in disguise.

Here's hoping Werner comes out of his shell.

Much last last year when Landry went down and Howell came in made a name for himself, now he's a starter. I see the same situation traspiring with one of our linebackers.... Probably Werner. Looking back at last years draft I have to think that Grigson drafted Werner to take over for Walden in year 3 of his deal (next year). I'm no hater of Walden either. I think he has done a fine job. But, at the same time, we need to get younger on defense. And Waldens money could be put to The Andrew Luck Fund.

This actually gives Werner ample time to shine/prove himself. This could be a blessing in disguise.

Here's hoping Werner comes out of his shell.

I agree 100%, This will give someone else a chance to shine and whoever it is, Werner, Adongo, Newsome or Walden, they will get some valuable experience and will make our team better in the long run. It will be very tough without Mathis, but someone will just have to step up and hopefully a star will be born. "GO COLTS"

Come on.    If it was that easy,  there would be no shortage of quality pass rushers.

And yet,   there are.........

it would be much harder if he was asked to drop back, But if he has a quick first step and can read run or pass(That would be the kicker provided he has a quick first step, reading run or pass) then getting after the QB(Im not asking for him to be Robert Mathis by any stretch of the imagination of course) should not be an insermountable task....were talking rotational pass rusher not every down OLB here, Just some pressures when he gets on the field enough so the likes of Chad Henne cant sit back in the pocket, read a novel, go through his reads several times if he so chooses, recite the alphabet forward and backwards all before he passes

it would be much harder if he was asked to drop back, But if he has a quick first step and can read run or pass(That would be the kicker provided he has a quick first step, reading run or pass) then getting after the QB(Im not asking for him to be Robert Mathis by any stretch of the imagination of course) should not be an insermountable task....were talking rotational pass rusher not every down OLB here, Just some pressures when he gets on the field enough so the likes of Chad Henne cant sit back in the pocket, read a novel, go through his reads several times if he so chooses, recite the alphabet forward and backwards all before he passes

Hey....   I get it, and I'm with you!       :thmup:

I hope at the end of the season,  Werner has at least 8 sacks and we can all look back on this as almost a blessing in disguise...  that Werner took his opportunity and made the most of it!

I'd be surprised if he wasn't ready.....He is a pass rusher...see QB...attack QB

Well its a lot more complicated than that  haha, he's an athletic freak, but he needs to develop good pass rushing moves to shed a blocker, and I don't think he has that ability yet, but hey, i'll gladly be proven wrong here. 

if i was the QB i would not be scared anymore Walden is a joke

Walden actually wasn't terrible, I mean, he wasn't great by any means, but he was solid. We could do far worse than Walden. Werner did look a lot better at the end of the season last year, hopefully we see that continue. 

Nice to know you have faith in your team

Nice to know you have faith in your team

its called being a realist. I cheer for this team no matter who we play against and no matter how much we're losing by I still have hope. But in the end, you can't expect us to go 16-0. We're gonna lose some games here and there and I expect 1 possibly 2 of them to be in the 1st 4 weeks.

Can't agree with this more, we have potential to be the best offense in the league, I don't give a % who we play, we can win. 

I agree that we have the potential right now to be the best. It all lies on how our pass rush fares. If we can't generate pass rush the 1st 4 weeks then 3-1 is all you can expect.

We will beat Denver by getting pressure up the middle that is where Manning can't take it. I think Denver is going to regret letting Moreno go when it comes to picking up the blitz should be able to confuse Ball who is probably good for a fumble too. We will be able to score on them. The Super Bowl loser hasn't covered the spread for 12/13  years so the game should be close and have only managed to win outright 3x. I like our chances in this game. I will be taking he points and the money line.

Chip Kelly's offense is built around the run Shady is the head of that snake. It should be a good test to see where our run D is at. I think we will like it. The home opener.  I also think Foles and Chip's offense could take a step back this year with a full year of tape on both. We have extra days to prepare. Adam puts it away late from 30 yards out.

At Jags these fools always gives us a good game but we just have to much fire power

Home Titans at home I expect a win no late winner from Adam necessary here Isn't Luck undefeated vs Tennessee?

That my friend is how we are 4-0 when Mathis returns. We only face one team that has a QB in Luck's class and he is getting up there in age and man it is stacked against the loser of the Super Bowl

its called being a realist. I cheer for this team no matter who we play against and no matter how much we're losing by I still have hope. But in the end, you can't expect us to go 16-0. We're gonna lose some games here and there and I expect 1 possibly 2 of them to be in the 1st 4 weeks.

Never said we'd go 16-0 but to say we'll go 2-2 in our 1st 4 games because Mathis is out is truly sad

Now if Andrew was out for those 4 games I'd believe it a bit more even though i believe Matt could do decent in our offense with all those weapons

But Robert Mathis being out doesn't automatically spell the end for the Colts. This is exactly what the Colts needed, not on these terms though but needed it. Let's see how we do without Mathis. Last year we saw how we are without Reggie, now let's see how we do without the star on defense

We will beat Denver by getting pressure up the middle that is where Manning can't take it. I think Denver is going to regret letting Moreno go when it comes to picking up the blitz should be able to confuse Ball who is probably good for a fumble too. We will be able to score on them. The Super Bowl loser hasn't covered the spread for 12/13 years so the game should be close and have only managed to win outright 3x. I like our chances in this game. I will be taking he points and the money line.

Chip Kelly's offense is built around the run Shady is the head of that snake. It should be a good test to see where our run D is at. I think we will like it. The home opener. I also think Foles and Chip's offense could take a step back this year with a full year of tape on both. We have extra days to prepare. Adam puts it away late from 30 yards out.

At Jags these fools always gives us a good game but we just have to much fire power

Home Titans at home I expect a win no late winner from Adam necessary here Isn't Luck undefeated vs Tennessee?

That my friend is how we are 4-0 when Mathis returns. We only face one team that has a QB in Luck's class and he is getting up there in age and man it is stacked against the loser of the Super Bowl losers.

Eagles are not a threat. Who's Foles gonna throw to? Cooper?

Give me a break. Stop McCoy, win the game. They were stupid to cut Jackson

Eagles are not a threat. Who's Foles gonna throw to? Cooper?

Give me a break. Stop McCoy, win the game. They were stupid to cut Jackson

Everyone is a threat but we should beat the Eagles I am saying 4-0. They got Macklin too drafted Matthews and Huff and Chip likes the TE.  He will use Sproles too but he is getting old.  I watched a lot of Duck games.

Cooper.....Sproles.....Jordan Mathhews, Mccoy

Riley Cooper is average Vontae should strap him

Sproles is old, ONE hit from Landry (If he ever learns to wrap up) should KO him

Jordan Matthews never heard of so must be a Rookie. Not worried about him

And Shady can be taken out the game like the Saints did in the playoffs. Eagles offense really isn't as good as people hype it to be

I hope Werner steps up, but honestly I'm not expecting great things from him. His two sacks late last season were coverage sacks. If he is going to be a difference make he will need to make a huge leap from last season.