Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

the most underrated colts player

CR91

Robert Mathis

I never fully understood my fellow colt fans at all. They want to run this guy out the door. I just don't get it. HE'S AN INSTANT IMPACT PLAYER. He has done everything we've ever asked him to do, including switching positions (something that's not easy to do). A great guy, with a motor that NEVER runs cold.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

to me it's darius butler by a long shot. Vontae, to me, is actually a bit overrated. Some games he looked like deion, and others he looked flat out horrible. You can't be a top 5 corner with only 4 INTs in the past two years. I think this season Vontae breaks out and becomes the consistent shut down corner we've only dreamt of having. But as of now he is slightly overrated. D butler on the other hand is a ball hawk who has led the team in INT's ever since he got here. 

to me it's darius butler by a long shot. Vontae, to me, is actually a bit overrated. Some games he looked like deion, and others he looked flat out horrible. You can't be a top 5 corner with only 4 INTs in the past two years. I think this season Vontae breaks out and becomes the consistent shut down corner we've only dreamt of having. But as of now he is slightly overrated. D butler on the other hand is a ball hawk who has led the team in INT's ever since he got here.

I would agree with this. I think Butler is a better slot corner than Davis is a #1 shutdown corner right now anyways.

I believe the answer is Jerrell Freeman and I don't think it's close.

He's lead the team in tackles for two straight years and has been among the league leaders (top 10?) both seasons.

And no one in the NFL seems to know it.

I think he's easily our most underrated player.....

Hope we reward him with a better contract soon.

darius butler....probably one of  the best slot corners in the league

I read this entire thread and was waiting for someone to say Butler. It took quite a while, but someone finally got it correct.

Butler is a top 5 nickel corner in the NFL. He shut Welker down for nearly 3 quarters, until we started getting hit with injury bug in the secondary.

*WAS..Donald Brown with honorable mention to Robert Mathis who is now getting the credit he deserves so cant be "underrated". TY could make a case for because many have said he wasn`t a true #1 receiver, which he has shown flashes as being. I like Whalen though and the way he plays the game. Hands were like Velcro and was hard to bring down, hopefully this time next year none of our Colts will be considered underrated after hoisting the Lombardi and kicking some tail.

I think Anthony Castonzo is the most underrated. For how bad the O-line has been the last two years and how much their talked about by the NFL analyst, Castonzo has been one of the best young tackles in the league. I think he's been a big reason for our success but rarely gets talked about.

I think Anthony Castonzo is the most underrated. For how bad the O-line has been the last two years and how much their talked about by the NFL analyst, Castonzo has been one of the best young tackles in the league. I think he's been a big reason for our success but rarely gets talked about.

Behind Butler, he would be my second choice. Good call.

I read this entire thread and was waiting for someone to say Butler. It took quite a while, but someone finally got it correct.

Butler is a top 5 nickel corner in the NFL. He shut Welker down for nearly 3 quarters, until we started getting hit with injury bug in the secondary.

Re: Your signature. 

The original:

“You're never as good as everyone tells you when you win, and you're never as bad as they say when you lose.” - Lou Holtz

Give me a break. Nicks has never suited up in a colt's uniform. Some of you guys make me want to run my face through a mirror.

You have issues. He's a Colt now and the fact we signed him for only 3.5m suggests he wasn't highly rated in FA. His last 2 years in New York have made many lose faith in him, but I expect him to be back in Pro Bowl form, thus making him extremely underrated.

Freeman because he doesn't have the big name but he's been very good for us. Vontae is a close second because everyone thinks of him as the guy who had to call grandma on Hard Knocks and the whole "preparing for Tom Brady" thing. But he's definitely a top corner.

I wouldn't say freeman is underrated because he's rated to the colts.  I'd say either butler or ballard.  Ballard had a decent rookie year with an meh OLine.  I like ballard more than richardson.  Maybe brazil could be a factor if he can play more consistently.

I didn't say he was unknown, I said he's underrated, as this (your) thread asks for underrated players.

well underrated basically means players that excel, but dont get recognition  

Andrew Luck -- he is hands down the best QB from his draft class and I think a top 3-4 QB in the NFL, yet because is humble and goes about his work quietly, he gets nowhere near the attention that Russell Wilson, RG3 and other QB's in the league get.

Wilson would not have made the playoffs either of his first 2 years if he had the same supporting cast that Luck had.  We finally have pretty good support for Andrew and I fully expect that we will be back at the top of the AFc South.  I honestly think the only QB in the NFL that could have done what Luck has done over the past 2 years is Peyton Manning.  To take a team from 2-14 to 11-5 with as much turnover as we have had in his rookie year is incredible, to come back in year two and lose 5 offensive starters for the season before the halfway point and go 11-5 is beyond incredible (not to mention, Dwayne Allen and Reggie Wayne who were Luck's security blankets and most trusted receivers are 2 of the 5 that went down).  Our o-line was terrible both of his first 2 years -- I would argue that many QB's wouldn't have been able to stay healthy through the amount of abuse Luck has taken.

If Luck was surrounded by the talent that Wilson or Kaepernick have, I am pretty sure he'd have a SB ring on his finger.  I cannot wait to see what he does with the talent we have this year (assuming Wayne, Allen, D. Thomas and the RB's are back to full health). Grigson said the other day that it was almost a blessing in disguise that McNary got hurt when he got hurt -- I think it will prove to be a blessing in disguise that Wayne got hurt last year because it forced Andrew to develop and mature as a QB in this league instead of always having that consistent security blanket to go to in Wayne.  Add Nicks to the mix and see how Andrew's developed into reading his progressions and distributing the ball and I think we are going to see something very special.

No disrespect to Vontae Im glad he's a Colt. And by far one of my favorites.

But the reason why he's not mentioned with Sherman and Haden is because he's NOWHERE CLOSE to the player on the field these guys are.

nowhere close? He was better than either last year.

I never fully understood my fellow colt fans at all. They want to run this guy out the door. I just don't get it. HE'S AN INSTANT IMPACT PLAYER. He has done everything we've ever asked him to do, including switching positions (something that's not easy to do). A great guy, with a motor that NEVER runs cold.

Nowhere on this forum or in side conversations with other Colts fans, have I ever seen/heard that anybody wants to run Mathis out the door.

What "Colts fans" have you been talking to?

Nowhere on this forum or in side conversations with other Colts fans, have I ever seen/heard that anybody wants to run Mathis out the door.

What "Colts fans" have you been talking to?

I've came across a many that seemed perfectly fine with giving- up on him. They wanted to throw him under a bus/ or kick him to the curb for the next BIG THING/TOY. I'm thrilled he's a colt and i predict he retires one.

No disrespect to Vontae Im glad he's a Colt. And by far one of my favorites.

But the reason why he's not mentioned with Sherman and Haden is because he's NOWHERE CLOSE to the player on the field these guys are.

Unfair statement = Not same supporting cast in secondary.