Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is Devin Hester a HOFer?

Dustin

I think he is. You could make the argument that he was the Bears' best offensive weapon for a while and he didn't even play offense. I think he should be in the HOF (as should Steve Tasker), but you know how it goes with special teams

This is what I've heard people say when asking if you should include someone into the HOF: if you were to write a book about the NFL, would you mention that player in any of the chapters?  I think he fits.  If you look at his NFL records, they're pretty outstanding.

• Combined special teams return touchdowns, career: 19 (13 punts, 5 kickoffs, 1 missed field goal)
  • Most non-offensive touchdowns, career*: 19
  • Most kickoff and punt return touchdowns, career: 18
  • Punt return touchdowns, career: 13
  • Punt return touchdowns, season: 4 (2007)
  • Kickoff return touchdowns, game: 2* (Chicago Bears at St. Louis Rams, December 11, 2006)
  • Combined kick return touchdowns, season: 6 (2007) (4 punts, 2 kickoffs)
  • Combined kick return touchdowns, rookie, season: 5 (2006) (3 punts, 2 kickoffs)
  • Combined kick return touchdowns, game: 2, twice
    • 2, Chicago Bears at St. Louis Rams, December 11, 2006 (2 kickoffs)
    • 2, Chicago Bears vs. Denver Broncos, November 25, 2007 (1 punt, 1 kickoff)
  • Non-offensive touchdowns, season: 6, twice
    • 6, 2006 (3 punts, 2 kickoffs, 1 missed field goal)
    • 6, 2007 (4 punts, 2 kickoffs)

Not only that, but don't forget the Super Bowl kick return he had.  He made a huge impact (and at 31, he could add to that), so I think he fits

Problem is Roger Goodell has something against this guy. He eliminates wedge blocking, he makes touchbacks easier, it's like Goodell thought, "Man, this Hester guy is really something. Gotta do something about this." Ever since the changes, Hester's numbers have nearly flat-lined. It's a shame, because Hester was my favorite player of all time and I loved special teams, but Goodell thinks its too dangerous and destroyed it.

He won't get in. STs has a tough time with the Hall. Even Adam V. is not a lock for the same reason even though he should go in too.

It might take a while for it to happen if it happens at all.

Look how long it's taken Ray Guy to get in.  

Hester has the additional problem of the kick return gradually being removed from the game.  

Hall of Fame players are often players who revolutionized their position.  Hester is going to more and more look like a guy that is old school and harken back to the days when you actually had a kick return.  His position sadly is being eliminated from the game.  Why pay a specialized kick returner these days??  Almost all of them go for touch-backs. 

not for a long time, he will be the best KR/PR when he leaves.. no longevity, only 32TDs in his career so far (18 returning - which is sick, and 14 receiving)

Keep in mind, the first punter just joined the HOF last year. 

And there are a lot more deserving players coming up/stuck in the queue, for making it into the HOF before him.

The NFL has actually gone to great lengths in the last few years to mitigate about half of Hester's effectiveness with the virtual elimination of kickoffs. Although I think he's the best-ever in that category, I think it's too much of a "specialty niche" for him to get HOF recognition. With a logjam at the WR position, I think other guys will get in first, and doubt whether Hester will ever actually make it in. 

Problem is Roger Goodell has something against this guy. He eliminates wedge blocking, he makes touchbacks easier, it's like Goodell thought, "Man, this Hester guy is really something. Gotta do something about this." Ever since the changes, Hester's numbers have nearly flat-lined. It's a shame, because Hester was my favorite player of all time and I loved special teams, but Goodell thinks its too dangerous and destroyed it.

This is true, but at the same time, the HoF is pretty bad with how they don't acknowledge kickers into it. Morten Andersen should already be in there, and I've been saying that ever since he finally retired.

Hester reminds me a lot of Eric Metcalf, another great returner who will probably never see the light of day of getting honored.

I don't think so.  Special teams seem to be trending toward obsolescence.  The Kick-off has been diminished altogether, with at least a few owners proposing moving the kick-off spot up even more.  Furthermore, the NFL committee is proposing doing away with the extra point.  When Hester is five years retired, I think special team players will be relegated to being an afterthought, given the way the NFL is trending,

This is true, but at the same time, the HoF is pretty bad with how they don't acknowledge kickers into it. Morten Andersen should already be in there, and I've been saying that ever since he finally retired.

Hester reminds me a lot of Eric Metcalf, another great returner who will probably never see the light of day of getting honored.

Hester was a much better return man than Metcalf

Hester has little more than a snowball's chance in hell of becoming a HoFer unless he ends his career on a truly ridiculous high note.  If he just gradually fades away as it looks like he has been trending towards then that's it.  Going out with a bang is really the only way I could see it happening for him.

Just take a look at Brian Mitchell.  There's a guy I'm sure almost no one even remembers anymore but he's ranked second of all time in all-purpose yardage (behind Jerry Rice), almost all of that coming as a return man, and was the previous record holder for total return TDs.  He's never really even been close to getting into Canton (I won't complain, of course, because the guy annoys me to no end as a radio personality).  Glory positions have a huge advantage and special teams takes a backseat to basically every offensive and defensive role in that regard.

Hester has an amazing amount of talent, but I don't know if a pure special team player like him will ever make it to the HoF. That doesn't take away from the fact that even today I wouldn't kick it anywhere near him... there is no one else out there I think of in the same way.

My simple answer....NO.

My reasoning are varied but first off he didn't revolutionize the game in any way...he had most of them in a couple seasons but really didn't do anything special to elevate his team. Personally while he was the fastest return man I don't think he was the best. I would say he was top 5 though.

The real reason I don't think he will ever get in....kick returns are being phased out...soon in about 10 yrs when he would even be on the ballot after he retires I imagine they won't even have any. Can't imagine there being a big push for a position that doesn't even exist anymore. Had he done something else valuable on the team like was a decent receiver or running back or corner I would say yes but I just don't see the demand for him in the future to be in. It took forever for a punter to get in and they are still relevent...I'm not saying a kick returner isn't...but I just don't see it happening is all.

My simple answer....NO.

My reasoning are varied but first off he didn't revolutionize the game in any way...he had most of them in a couple seasons but really didn't do anything special to elevate his team. Personally while he was the fastest return man I don't think he was the best. I would say he was top 5 though.

The real reason I don't think he will ever get in....kick returns are being phased out...soon in about 10 yrs when he would even be on the ballot after he retires I imagine they won't even have any. Can't imagine there being a big push for a position that doesn't even exist anymore. Had he done something else valuable on the team like was a decent receiver or running back or corner I would say yes but I just don't see the demand for him in the future to be in. It took forever for a punter to get in and they are still relevent...I'm not saying a kick returner isn't...but I just don't see it happening is all.

How can the guy with the most return tds not be the best return man ever?

How can the guy with the most return tds not be the best return man ever?

I would say Deion was a better returner even in limited fashion and I also believe long gevity I've seen others do it longer at a high level. He had about 3 years there and had he done it longer as there have been a few years he could have it might have changed things but they tried him at wr to no avail.  All that said I'm not saying he wasn't great at it or deserving...just a position that isn't all that valuable and one that is being phased out...means it gets even less attention....I don't see it happening. 

Also that's like saying Brett Favre has the most TD passes makes him the best qb and Emmitt Smith has the most rushing TDs etc...I just don't judge TDs as the be all of kick returning decision on greatest ever...but he was the greatest during his time.