Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Free Agents Signing With Colts for More Than a Paycheck

HarassedOffTheSite

"...fans might have noticed a few themes emerging. Some players said they wanted to play for a contender. Some specified that they were excited to play with Andrew Luck. Some had played with coach Chuck Pagano in the past and wanted to play with him again. And some, especially returning free agents, praised the locker room culture and said they wanted to remain a part of it.

Word on the street is that some of the guys signing with the Colts could have gotten more money elsewhere, but as anyone who has worked a paying job can tell you, money doesn’t always trump a positive work environment...the Colts are attracting players who are actively seeking things like a good locker room, a brotherhood and a chance to win. Twenty years ago, who would have thought Indianapolis would have become a desirable NFL free-agent destination?

D'Qwell Jackson chose Indianapolis because of its stability, from the front office to the quarterback situation, and because he wanted a chance to win.

Vontae Davis told Colts.com's Craig Kelley that leaving Indianapolis would have been like leaving his family.

Arthur Jones and Hakeem Nicks both have experience playing for Pagano in the past.

Pat McAfee said that when his new deal with Indianapolis went through, he cried with relief because he didn’t want to play anywhere else.

Adam Vinatieri expressed similar sentiments, telling Kelley that Indianapolis is a very comfortable place to come to work and be productive.

The Colts’ organization seems to be taking care of its people, recruiting chemistry as much as talent and finding players who want to be a part of this team and this community." - Bethany Robison, Rant Sports

I know we sometimes may get frustrated with the amount of loyalty Pagano and crew have for struggling players...but that patience might be a very attractive characteristic in the eyes of Colts players and players around the league.  So, what the team might lose in quick fixes may be more than made up for with the kind of culture that is built. Just a thought.

The crazy thing is, if we get past 3-8 wins, that's a successful season in D. Jackson's eyes. I don't believe he's ever sniffed that many wins in Cleveland haha

They actually won 10 games in 07', but that is the only time!  Every other season he has been with Cleveland they've never won more than 5 games.

The Colt environment seems positive but every player likely will say similar things when asked why they signed with their respective team. With that said, I do think some teams need to pay a premium to be on the same level as other teams, and the Colts seem to currently be part of the latter.

One plus for the fans,  and I might be wrong,  but I don't think have ever cheered when any player has gotten injured.  To me, that's about the worst thing fans can do.  If I were a player, I would not play for a team who's fans might cheer if I got hurt.

One plus for the fans, and I might be wrong, but I don't think have ever cheered when any player has gotten injured. To me, that's about the worst thing fans can do. If I were a player, I would not play for a team who's fans might cheer if I got hurt.

Wish I could agree but I almost cried tears of joy when Satele went down :dunno:

The Colt environment seems positive but every player likely will say similar things when asked why they signed with their respective team. With that said, I do think some teams need to pay a premium to be on the same level as other teams, and the Colts seem to currently be part of the latter.

Of course every player will say that, but does anyone believe it is the real question?

Honestly, if someone from the current dolphins roster said they have a positive and helpful locker room would you believe it?

So good to see players wanting to come here to Indy. In the past we had to deal with guys like Elway not wanting to play for us at all... and a old guard that wasn't very keen on bringing free agent guys in. Now people want to come here to be part of something special, and work on winning championships. It will pay off.

Vontae said it best when he was about to resign.

He said that this locker room was his family. That spoke volumes to me.

I have been in some locker rooms where nobody got along, and other locker rooms where it felt like a family, and the latter is very important for a winning team.

Chuck having his cancer, might have actually been the best thing for the team in the long run. Players, Coaches, Front Office, Owner, all had to band together. 

That and Luck being the great player that he is, and probably will continue to be.

The crazy thing is, if we get past 3-8 wins, that's a successful season in D. Jackson's eyes. I don't believe he's ever sniffed that many wins in Cleveland haha

I get the joke,  but I think the only way D'Qwell or any other player will measure any level of success is reaching the playoffs....

No playoffs = no chance for SB win.     :thmup:

But with our crew,  you've got a great shot at the playoffs every year!       :thmup:

I know we sometimes may get frustrated with the amount of loyalty Pagano and crew have for struggling players...but that patience might be a very attractive characteristic in the eyes of Colts players and players around the league. So, what the team might lose in quick fixes may be more than made up for with the kind of culture that is built. Just a thought.

Agreed. I think it makes players more comfortable also! They know that one bad game won't put them on the hot seat. Obviously every player wants to play his best. It has it's positives and negatives but it seems to be Atleast paying off in free agency

And yet a lot of people on here want the entire coaching staff and front office gone because we've only gone 22-10 the last 2 seasons.

You're being generous. Some want everyone fired and benched after every loss!