Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Skins cut Will Montgomery

Cap Casualty?  

I'm good with signing him to a short term deal 1 or 2 years so we can draft a guy to take the center spot long term.  

So.....

One whole year after we drafted a guy to take the center spot long term,  you're ready to spend another high draft pick to take the center spot long term?

One who year later?

Somehow I don't see that happening.

31 years old....he is a 'gamer.'  I do not have the PFF numbers but I rate him higher than De La Puente and nearly equal to Deitrich Smith.

Next up...telephone call from our man Grigs. 

I personally like Will....better in zone blocking schemes however.

Solid starter for the past three years. A nine year center that could be a nice short term option

Montgomery, Will C/G 6-3 304 31 9

According to a Washington Post article I just read, 2012 was his high water mark and he was fading at the end of that season.

He was to be replaced by Guard Lichtenburg last season but stayed in the starting lineup only because Lichts replacement wasn`t up to it. A player in decline.

According to a Washington Post article I just read, 2012 was his high water mark and he was fading at the end of that season.

He was to be replaced by Guard Lichtenburg last season but stayed in the starting lineup only because Lichts replacement wasn`t up to it. A player in decline.

There could be an argument that every game a center plays.....they are a player in decline :)

So.....

One whole year after we drafted a guy to take the center spot long term,  you're ready to spend another high draft pick to take the center spot long term?

One who year later?

A 4th rounder is hardly a high draft pick.

Also with all the injuries and suckatude we had at the center position last season if Holmes couldn't get on the field then I would certainly like to know on why we don't just cut him.  It's a sunk cost at this point.

So.....

One who year later?

There was never any guarantee that Holmes, a 4th round pick, was going to be the answer long term.  If he winds up even a solid backup then I still think we got our value's worth out of that 4th round pick.  I'm not saying we definitely need to move on from Holmes, but at this point the coaches should have at least some idea on what they think his ceiling might be.

There could be an argument that every game a center plays.....they are a player in decline :)

IDK. A lot of years before Saturday declined! My hero!

I remember checking out our former center on a Raiders Forum to see what we got.

Surprise! Surprise! Yip, the words On his BACK was used. :yay:  I wish him two Great Guards to play between. We had the Worst pair last season. JMO of course.

IDK. A lot of years before Saturday declined! My hero!

I remember checking out our former center on a Raiders Forum to see what we got.

Surprise! Surprise! Yip, the words On his BACK was used. :yay:  I wish him two Great Guards to play between. We had the Worst pair last season. JMO of course.

I am lying in wait for the next move.....may mean napping:)

A 4th rounder is hardly a high draft pick.

Also with all the injuries and suckatude we had at the center position last season if Holmes couldn't get on the field then I would certainly like to know on why we don't just cut him.  It's a sunk cost at this point.

I'm sorry, but this is what fans say.

This is not what GM's do.

One year and you're ready to flush him down the toilet?     That's not what well run teams do.

There was never any guarantee that Holmes, a 4th round pick, was going to be the answer long term.  If he winds up even a solid backup then I still think we got our value's worth out of that 4th round pick.  I'm not saying we definitely need to move on from Holmes, but at this point the coaches should have at least some idea on what they think his ceiling might be.

Agreed.    And I'm in favor of bringing in someone else to start.   A veteran.

But Valpo is talking about cutting Holmes.   He's talking about using another draft pick on a center.

Sorry,   but that's fan-talk.    It's not something that deserves serious consideration.

One year and you're ready to flush him down the toilet?     That's not what well run teams do.

Not letting him be the starter is flushing him down the toilet?

Not letting him be the starter is flushing him down the toilet?

No.   Talk of cutting him, which is what Valpo suggested in a post, (#11 in this thread)  is flushing him down the toilet.

I'm fine with him being the back-up.   Since I'm in favor of Mack or EDM or BDP,  then I think it's clear I'm fine with Holmes as the back-up.

Cutting Holmes after 1-year (granted it was disappointing)  is flushing him down the toilet.

No.   Talk of cutting him, which is what Valpo suggested in a post, (#11 in this thread)  is flushing him down the toilet.

I'm fine with him being the back-up.   Since I'm in favor of Mack or EDM or BDP,  then I think it's clear I'm fine with Holmes as the back-up.

Cutting Holmes after 1-year (granted it was disappointing)  is flushing him down the toilet.

Why?  We cut lots of guys in training camp.  Justice Cunningham, Kerwynn Williams, John Boyett - Technically he made the team but we cut him right after his little incident.

If they can't play in the league we cut them.  

Why?  We cut lots of guys in training camp.  Justice Cunningham, Kerwynn Williams, John Boyett - Technically he made the team but we cut him right after his little incident.

If they can't play in the league we cut them.  

It hasn't been determined by the coaches or the GM that he can't play in the league.

It's only been determined by you and a handful of others here on this website that he can't.

That's a fans perspective.   

It hasn't been determined by the coaches or the GM that he can't play in the league.

It's only been determined by you and a handful of others here on this website that he can't.

Wait.  What?

You mean we aren't necessarily seeing the same thing coaches are seeing?  You mean with all our advanced and in-depth analysis of every player on the team, coaches might know something we don't?

That is just straight crazy talk.

Totes cray cray.

Maybe, however I still find it odd that if the guy can play the coaching staff only gave him a few snaps last season.  

Agreed.    And I'm in favor of bringing in someone else to start.   A veteran.

But Valpo is talking about cutting Holmes.   He's talking about using another draft pick on a center.

Sorry,   but that's fan-talk.    It's not something that deserves serious consideration.

ah, I didn't catch that.  Probably glanced over the "cut him" part and didn't give it any further consideration.  I was simply replying to your point. :)

Maybe, however I still find it odd that if the guy can play the coaching staff only gave him a few snaps last season.  

I agree with you.    I have no idea what happened with Holmes last year -- none.

And it's because of that that I'm not confident enough to make him the starter this year.     He might be able to do the job.

But, I'm not trusting the health of Andrew Luck to might. 

That's why there's a voice in my head that says there's something going on with Mack.    And if not Mack, then someone else.

If Costa is the starting center in 2014, and Luck gets hurt on a play that Costa screws up on,  I'd hate to be Ryan Grigson.

And I count myself as a huge Grigson fan.    But that would be catastrophic to the team and to Grigson's future in Indy.

ah, I didn't catch that.  Probably glanced over the "cut him" part and didn't give it any further consideration.  I was simply replying to your point. :)

No worries, Jason.........    that kind of stuff happens on message boards all the time.   No biggie.

Thanks.......

Given how we looked at Center last season, one wonders why Holmes didn't play. That a draft pick was used for him is irrelevant if the coaching staff doesn't think he's up to the task, or ever will be. If that's the case, so long mr. Holmes, just like so many other draft picks that didn't turn out the way we had hoped. So we cut our losses - Next man up.

If the coaching staff still believe in him, then there's no way we're drafting another Center.

Given how we looked at Center last season, one wonders why Holmes didn't play. That a draft pick was used for him is irrelevant if the coaching staff doesn't think he's up to the task, or ever will be. If that's the case, so long mr. Holmes, just like so many other draft picks that didn't turn out the way we had hoped. So we cut our losses - Next man up.

If the coaching staff still believe in him, then there's no way we're drafting another Center.

Agreed.

But if we put up with Satele for two years...  and McGlynn for two years...  and all the other below average veterans for two years, then I suspect we'll be more than willing to put up with Holmes for two years, if not more....

There's more to the Holmes story than any of us knows...   me very much included...   I'm in the dark.    But I'm sure the FO is not ready to give up on the kid just yet...

Way, way too soon.......

Holmes not playing might mean the coach didn't feel he had enough experience to make the line calls.  

Which McGlynn did pretty well, as people noticed when he played there for a few games.  I agree Will Montgomery would be a good pickup; he would be cap friendly, as Washington would have to pick up his 1.5 M signing bonus.  Maybe we can combine Costa and Montgomery into one Alex Mack.

I agree with you.    I have no idea what happened with Holmes last year -- none.

And it's because of that that I'm not confident enough to make him the starter this year.     He might be able to do the job.

That's why there's a voice in my head that says there's something going on with Mack.    And if not Mack, then someone else.

If Costa is the starting center in 2014, and Luck gets hurt on a play that Costa screws up on,  I'd hate to be Ryan Grigson.

And I count myself as a huge Grigson fan.    But that would be catastrophic to the team and to Grigson's future in Indy.

No matter who screws up and Luck gets hurt Grigson is going to get the blame. We all know...he knows the line is our weak link and no matter what he is responsible for who he brought in...so whoever screws up if Luck got hurt we would blame Grigs...even if it would be stupid to do so. Football is football...Luck could just as easily tear something doing one of his stupid terrible slides. I would like to see a better OL to give Andrew more time to survey the field but more importantly help us run the ball better. We have the funds...I just think there aren't a lot of good options out there on the market. Who knows...maybe Grigs pulls one of his crazy trades out his butt.

This year will be big in terms of my view on Grigson.  The 2012 draft class for the Colts was one for the ages.  It was quite frankly a brilliant draft.  

But then the 2013 free agents and draft class where pretty meh in their first year.  The only one that really worked out well for us was Cherilus and we made him the highest paid RT in the game.  The rest of the guys either went to IR pretty early in the season, didn't play that well, or didn't see the field much.

Plus Grigs made some highly questionable trades, headlined by the trading for Richardson.  But another one that I felt was highly questionable was the trading of Shipley for a 7th rounder.  That was a guy who was young, seemed to be improving, many people thought he played better then Satele did and he was a heck of a lot cheaper.  Quite frankly that trade seems worse IMO then the Richardson trade.  The Richardson trade a lot of people would have pulled the trigger on that trade knowing what they knew in week 3 of the 2013 season.  And most people at the time thought Grigson got the better end of that trade.  The Shipley deal to me made no sense both before or after.  

So this year is gonna be big because I want to be seeing if the 2013 draft class will have some members improving and showing us something, the same thing with the 2013 FA, especially the ones who went to IR.  But also I'll be wanting to see if the 2014 FA and draft class will make any kind of an impact.  

With the exception of a few players this team is almost entirely Grigson's now.  There arn't many players left over from before he was hired.  

This year will be big in terms of my view on Grigson.  The 2012 draft class for the Colts was one for the ages.  It was quite frankly a brilliant draft.  

But then the 2013 free agents and draft class where pretty meh in their first year.  The only one that really worked out well for us was Cherilus and we made him the highest paid RT in the game.  The rest of the guys either went to IR pretty early in the season, didn't play that well, or didn't see the field much.

Plus Grigs made some highly questionable trades, headlined by the trading for Richardson.  But another one that I felt was highly questionable was the trading of Shipley for a 7th rounder.  That was a guy who was young, seemed to be improving, many people thought he played better then Satele did and he was a heck of a lot cheaper.  Quite frankly that trade seems worse IMO then the Richardson trade.  The Richardson trade a lot of people would have pulled the trigger on that trade knowing what they knew in week 3 of the 2013 season.  And most people at the time thought Grigson got the better end of that trade.  The Shipley deal to me made no sense both before or after.  

So this year is gonna be big because I want to be seeing if the 2013 draft class will have some members improving and showing us something, the same thing with the 2013 FA, especially the ones who went to IR.  But also I'll be wanting to see if the 2014 FA and draft class will make any kind of an impact.  

With the exception of a few players this team is almost entirely Grigson's now.  There arn't many players left over from before he was hired.  

You are really going to criticize the converstion of Shipley, a street FA signing, into a 7th rd pick?  He wouldn't have made our team, and has proven not to be the answer for Baltimore either, yet you cling to the Shipley myth?

You are really going to criticize the converstion of Shipley, a street FA signing, into a 7th rd pick?  He wouldn't have made our team, and has proven not to be the answer for Baltimore either, yet you cling to the Shipley myth?

When Satele went down in 2012 AQ Shipley went in.  

When Satele went down in 2013 . . . Mike McGlynn moved over to center and Holmes stayed on the bench.

I would say at the very least he was better then Holmes.  

When Satele went down in 2012 AQ Shipley went in.  

When Satele went down in 2013 . . . Mike McGlynn moved over to center and Holmes stayed on the bench.

I would say at the very least he was better then Holmes.  

You can argue that he might have been better than Holmes, but not only is that overly simplistic, it doesn't address the point.  The reality is that he would not have made the team before Holmes.  We did not have a roster spot available for him to earn.  Getting something for him is a reflection that he played well - that isn't in dispute - but it is also great GM work to get something for a player who can't make your roster.