Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Phil Costa visiting Colts today

PeterBowman

Many thought Frederick was a reach, but the Cowboys were really high on Frederick. Maybe they thought could move Costa to guard, put Frederick at center and then really upgrade their o-line? Who knows.

But they didn't do that. He was benched.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is Costa even an upgrade from Satele? The guy would be my last choice for FA Centers. 

Hopefully it's just smoke and mirrors and throwing the Ravens off the Mack trail. 

Grigson being a former O-Lineman has got to see Costa isn't that good. I sure hope he threw away whatever sunglasses he was wearing when he saw that Satele was a good choice. 

I'd still rather sign Goodwin to a one year deal as a stop gap. 

Since he can also play guard... any chance you guys think that for our remaining cap money we could get costa plus either EDS or BDLP?

I don't know, I'm bothered by the idea that Grigs might think this guy is the solution for the future.

I would honestly rather overpay EDS, then get a bargain on this guy and discover he's no better then Satele was.  Granted we would have cut the salary we are paying to a bad center, but we're still ending up with a bad center.

I may be wrong and I hope I am if this is the guy for the long term future.  I hope he turns out to be a great player.  But honestly I don't buy it.  

Pay EDS 7 million.  Sure he's not worth 7 million but I'd rather pay the guy that to get a good guy in here for a few years then take a gamble on a guy who's been riding the bench for a couple years and has very little recent action with which to grade him on.

Fair enough. But you wrote "he didn't even play last year" like it was suppose to be indicative of him being bad, when in fact it was because of a quality player and first rounder in Travis Frederick. 

A quality C wouldn't see the team drafting a C in the first round, you're fighting a losing battle here really. 

When our line is as bad as it is, you shouldn't take chances like this. You should sign proven players and know what your getting. Jonathan Goodwin is getting older, but would be a way better option than Costa IMO, and wouldn't break the bank either.

again, maybe he's being looked at as depth and not starter material

In day 3 of free agency??  

No one does that.  You look for your depth players later on after all quality starters are already signed.

No one is rushing out there to sign backups yet.  

Out of all the remaining free agent centers Costa is one guy we should not be bringing in for a visit. He's injury prone and he lacks strength going up against bigger DT's. We can do a lot better then Costa, I would rather start Holmes then to sign him.

If he's signed that's probably the eventual plan.  This would seem to fit Grigson's MO for free agent signings. 

A quality C wouldn't see the team drafting a C in the first round, you're fighting a losing battle here really. 

Not really. They could have planned on Costa moving to guard after putting Frederick at center thinking it would be an upgrade. Since that didn't work out, he was placed as back up C and now released because of salary cap hell in Dallas. Just because Frederick is good doesn't mean Costa is bad.

Not really. They could have planned on Costa moving to guard after putting Frederick at center thinking it would be an upgrade. Since that didn't work out, he was placed as back up C and now released because of salary cap hell in Dallas. Just because Frederick is good doesn't mean Costa is bad.

You'd be more likely to draft a G then a C if that was the case, I think the best thing we could say is that he's surely not Satele bad. 

If Grigson signs Costa this gives me a clear indication that he doesn't know talent when it comes to offensive lineman. There's a reason the Cowboys drafted a center in the 1st round, Costa was that bad and he can never stay healthy.

If he's signed that's probably the eventual plan.  This would seem to fit Grigson's MO for free agent signings. 

Signing Costa is saying they've given up on the O-line for another year and hence any chance at going far in the playoffs.  It makes no sense and I hope that they are just bringing him in to look at all options before getting someone with talent.

I just don't see how they can keep avoiding getting a quality center.  It doesn't make sense to me. Do they not see it as an important piece? Do the people that make these decisions think we can continue to just have a horrible o-line and the team will just magically get better in spite of it?

News flash...they signed Cherilus (right tackle) and Thomas (left guard) last year and drafted Holmes (center) and Thornton (guard).

So far this year, they cut Satele and McGlynn and let Link move on. Free agency and the draft are not over. Looks to me like they are doing something about it.

Weird thing about FA...

Some guys (especially mid level guys) come into their own and can develop better in new situations, and others who may have had a decent amount of success disappear...

I guess I always look at Tim Jennings as an example of a guy who wasn't that effective in Indy, but went to Chicago & put in a couple of pro-bowl level seasons in Chicago...

Satele is also an example of the other end of the spectrum, by all accounts he looked like a decent pick-up coming out of Oak. playing in a line that helped produced a very effective run game for the Raiders. But we all know what happened when he got to Indy...

So hard telling on guys like Costa & De La Puente, it'd be nice if Indy could truly find & lock up Luck's "Saturday" moving forward...

You've got to think that a part of 18's success can be attributed to the continuity & consistency Peyton had relying on Jeff for his career in Indy... 

Giving Luck that same "rock" on the line would do wonders for his game IMO...