Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Report: Colts in talks for Alex Mack (mega-merge)

vitoaf27

• Replies 960
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hence the words "similar to". Structure it with a 20m cap hit this and tell me they wouldn't hesitate. It isn't a poison pill because it isn't discriminating against the team that tagged him with some ridiculous stipulation like fully guaranteeing his contract if he plays more than 2 games in Cleveland. It would not be a stipulation at all.

well the colts can't afford a 20 million cap hit this year, so that's out

Honestly... I am a big fan of Delano Howell, and obviously the front office is with showing no immediate rush to try to sign another safety, its going to come down to Howell and probably a rookie

Thats what Im thinking, Some nice talent in this Safety class

If he wants to come here, then we should sign Goodwin to a 1 year deal and sign Mack next year. This way we wouldn't have to pay him 10 million per. Goodwin isn't a bad center. He's just old for a NFL player. He could get the job done one season.

Tbh I'd give them our 2nd rounder

Without question. Considering only 40% of 1st rounders actually achieve more than average careers, and it goes down from there for each round. Mack is a proven quantity. The only question is that we may could get him next year without giving up a pick at all. I would still try for him this year.

well the colts can't afford a 20 million cap hit this year, so that's out

Make the 2nd year or 2nd and 3rd year big cap hits ... something like 9 - 15 - 15 - ... etc ...  Then restructure his contract in the offseason.  This requires Mack be on board and want to leave Cleveland, but it is a contract I don't think Cleveland would match.  May not be an option just thinking out loud.

Ya, he's Center. He's not a QB. This trent Richardson Fiasco made it imperative that we use all of our draft picks very wisely

It wasn't meant we were talking a center.. it was intended trading picks Period...  and if we can Land Mack I'm all for it IF it doesn't kill us on the salary.... I would prefer to get EDS and Clemoms (FS) and safe the money

We don't need to trade anything for him lol, let's poison pill without "technically" poison pilling. Give him the regular contract we want to give him with an incentive of a 15 million dollar bonus year one if the team doesn't make the playoffs. Browns will cower at the risk of a near 25 million dollar hit lol. Not a poison pill because the Browns can match but definitely won't knowing darn well they aren't making the playoffs, especially in that division.

We don't need to trade anything for him lol, let's poison pill without "technically" poison pilling. Give him the regular contract we want to give him with an incentive of a 15 million dollar bonus if the team doesn't make the playoffs. Browns will cower at the risk of a near 25 million dollar hit lol

I don't think even Grigson is that ballsy.

I agree he is average.......not sure what the LT market is next year. There are definitely teams that would pay good money to have an average LT.

i already checked that...the colts better be ready to pay Castonzo. FA LT market for next year: castonzo, barksdale, campbell and a bunch of unkowns (nto like those 2 are known). Also read the  draft class next year is not heavy on LT.

If he wants to come here, then we should sign Goodwin to a 1 year deal and sign Mack next year. This way we wouldn't have to pay him 10 million per. Goodwin isn't a bad center. He's just old for a NFL player. He could get the job done one season.

NO!!!

We need to get our Long Time Center here Now !! This critical for the Future Development of the Team.. Luck... OL... Does Not have to be Mack... Bring in EDS... just get one your happy with in pace and stop Changing it  !! The chemistry needs to begin...

It wasn't meant we were talking a center.. it was intended trading picks Period...  and if we can Land Mack I'm all for it IF it doesn't kill us on the salary.... I would prefer to get EDS and Clemoms (FS) and safe the money

OK. My take on the whole situation is that I would not want to trade picks and pay a center a ridiculous amount of money period. I know the guy is good but in the vast scheme of things I really would go trading picks, especially high picks, for a Center. Rush LB? QB? Then, ya. I wouldnt consider trading high picks if your getting the cream of the crop but we cant keep giving away draft picks for guys that are gonna produce like Richardson or snap the football. I realize we need an upgrade at Center but lets be reasonable.

We don't need to trade anything for him lol, let's poison pill without "technically" poison pilling. Give him the regular contract we want to give him with an incentive of a 15 million dollar bonus year one if the team doesn't make the playoffs. Browns will cower at the risk of a near 25 million dollar hit lol. Not a poison pill because the Browns can match but definitely won't knowing darn well they aren't making the playoffs, especially in that division.

so what happens if we don't make the playoffs? Way too risky

i already checked that...the colts better be ready to pay Castonzo. FA LT market for next year: castonzo, barksdale, campbell and a bunch of unkowns (nto like those 2 are known). Also read the  draft class next year is not heavy on LT.

Yeah, considering middle of the pack LT salaries are in the area of 7 million per year average.........

I don't think even Grigson is that ballsy.

Well....He is considering gambling on another backup Center after (Costa...Thats what he is....Better then Satele but still has no business starting) after putting the fan base through 2 years of ineptitude at Center).....Thats ballsy

Won't we have a good amount of cap space next season?

I don't know that next season is the issue (and I don't know the answer to your question). I was thinking more 2 years from now when Luck, TY, and Allen are all due. Middle of the pack LT salaries are around 7 million per year contract average. 

It does raise an interesting question though. If we sign Mack, do we try to draft a LT with our 2nd round pick. He won't be an elite LT, but he could potentially be a stop gap at that position for a few years.

Make the 2nd year or 2nd and 3rd year big cap hits ... something like 9 - 15 - 15 - ... etc ...  Then restructure his contract in the offseason.  This requires Mack be on board and want to leave Cleveland, but it is a contract I don't think Cleveland would match.  May not be an option just thinking out loud.

Actually something like this could actually work. I was just thinking we could offer him a contract with a normal cap hit this yr. and then starting next yr. have the cap hit go up to around 14 mil. and put a clause in the contract that it can not be restructured during the life of the contract unless Mack agree's too. Then we could have an under the table agreement with him to restructure the contract next offseason so it wouldn't kill our cap situation. I don't think that would be considered a poison pill and I doubt if Cleveland would match it.

I admittedly haven't read through the dozen or so pages on this, but just out of curiosity...

Did the talk of the Colts offering a draft pick to sweet talk the Browns into letting Mack go come from a report/analyst, or is it just an idea that was generated on here?

If it don't kill the chances of signing big name players next year i'm all for it this team needs a good center and Mack would instantly make this o-line from average to one of the best in the NFL in like 1-2 seasons.

http://www.chatsports.com/indianapolis-colts/a/Alex-Mack-The-Colts-have-my-attention-2-9480465

Sounds like Mack wants to play here and snap for Andrew Luck. If we can get him for a decent contract, say 8 mil per season, Id be all for it. Remember, Cleveland can match the offer by the Colts, but Mack still has the choice which contract he signs.

I admittedly haven't read through the dozen or so pages on this, but just out of curiosity...

Did the talk of the Colts offering a draft pick to sweet talk the Browns into letting Mack go come from a report/analyst, or is it just an idea that was generated on here?

talk generated on here, though I can almost guarantee you the topic has come up in the Colts front office if they are serious on Mack, which reports say they are

http://www.chatsports.com/indianapolis-colts/a/Alex-Mack-The-Colts-have-my-attention-2-9480465

Sounds like Mack wants to play here and snap for Andrew Luck. If we can get him for a decent contract, say 8 mil per season, Id be all for it. Remember, Cleveland can match the offer by the Colts, but Mack still has the choice which contract he signs.

Incorrect, Mack has no choice, if Cleveland matches, he has to be with the Browns

Well....He is considering gambling on another backup Center after (Costa...Thats what he is....Better then Satele but still has no business starting) after putting the fan base through 2 years of ineptitude at Center).....Thats ballsy

Not as ballsy as risking $15M in cap space.

as has been pointed out about thirty times, mack has no choice, if the browns match he plays in Cleveland

I am personally hoping that they intend for Costa to play OG.....which he can do.