Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

DEFENSE!

HarassedOffTheSite

Grigson has made some pretty nice moves so far; brought in a hybrid DE/NT. Absolutely upgraded our ILB position and got Vontae under contract. We weren't willing to pay Bethea. Not sure if that is a reflection on him or the money he was wanting.

Going to be interesting to see what else we do via Free Agency and the Draft.

Center is definitely a major need.

Safety is a need.

Guard IMO is a need.

I'm pumped!!

Grigson has made some pretty nice moves so far; brought in a hybrid DE/NT. Absolutely upgraded our ILB position and got Vontae under contract. We weren't willing to pay Bethea. Not sure if that is a reflection on him or the money he was wanting.

Going to be interesting to see what else we do via Free Agency and the Draft.

Center is definitely a major need.

Safety is a need.

Guard IMO is a need.

I'm pumped!!

I agree with everything but guard as a need. Center...without doubt, Safety...without doubt...Yes to both, but guard will be fine IMO. We can always bring in a cheap option to compete for a backup spot, but I think Thornton and Thomas are locked in as starters.

I'd be a fan of taking a flyer on Champ Bailey at coverage safety to fill Bethea's void. On a cheaper deal, of course. Starting a rookie safety scares me. 

Our GM has had a Great day.  I`m sure he will sign a veteran at FS but the draft will be used for one.

He is in the BPA spot we want to be in. Yaaaaa Grigson!!!

Next up.......

A Starting veteran center to allow Holmes to develop,

A Starting FS that's better in coverage than Bethea was, (can get this in the 2nd round if not FA)

A veteran backup guard as insurance in case Thomas or Thornton can't play.

36 mill cap space this morning, less 10 for Vontae, 6 for Arthur, and 3? for Vinny. 

That's 17 mill left?  need some left over too.

We need Byrd!! TJ Ward is off the market

No.

He's going to want 10 million a year.

It is interesting....Bill Polian just called him a poor Man's Ed Reed. And Adam Schefter is reporting that he is on the way to visit the Saints....who have relatively small cap space.

I wonder if he could be had for $7-8 Million.

It is interesting....Bill Polian just called him a poor Man's Ed Reed. And Adam Schefter is reporting that he is on the way to visit the Saints....who have relatively small cap space.

I wonder if he could be had for $7-8 Million.

Even if he is, I just don't know. We just committed a lot of cap to the secondary with the Davis deal. In the interest of trying to keep cap % as balanced as possible I think we need a cheap deal for our next safety. (In the 5 million range) Don't forget, Landry has a decent contract as well. We need a starting safety for sure. But we need him cheap(er).

we just paid Davis 9 and let Bethea walk for 6 million to the 49ers we need a good safety and at this point Byrd is the best one left we won't find a good safety in the Draft.

So we're supposed to pay Davis 10 million per year, Landry around 7, and Byrd around 10?

Thats nearly a quarter of our cap. On three players. In one unit.

That doesn't work. 

Ryan Clark is also worth considering. Short term, of course. 

The thing I most dislike about that idea is assuming that the road to the Super Bowl goes through Peyton Manning. He can't play out there, so if we had a January game out there, he'd be watching from his couch. 

Yep, and there was a tweet that said there could be a possible NT upgrade.

I am assuming we will not be bringing Franklin back. With the addition of Jones at DE it seems natural to assume that RJF will go to NT full time, or play a "joker" role and come in at all 3 down positions. 

To me, putting Cody at NT and using RJF in that "joker" role is the best option, but we'll see how it shakes out. 

Is he an upgrade over Bethea?

Bethea is gone. Sometimes you regress at a position. It's the nature of the beast. We have invested enough cap percentage in the secondary at this point. We're going to be looking to fill the position cheap. (No more than 5 million annually.)

I think we go with a Malcolm Jenkins or Mike Mitchell who are two young FS. They aren't the best out there but they are middle of the pack Safeties and the rest are more SS caliber. Byrd is out of our price range I believe after what Vontae got. Had we signed him in the 7 range possibly but we are probably looking at someone in the 4 million range I believe. Add a center and it instantly improves our guards...you don't have to have studs across the line...but if you have a couple weak links next to each other its easier to target...we should be able to shift help however we need it if we get a solid center. I also believe we take yet again another short term deal on a middle tier wr. Yes we have some solid depth guys but we don't know what Reggie will be like coming back...Brazill is a drug test away from a long suspension and Whalen and Rodgers are big ??? I think there are plenty of options to have someone step right in and be that 3rd WR and get them for a yr and 2-3 million. We don't have many draft picks and with no first rounders we can't count on someone coming in and contributing right away....I would expect our draft to focus on DL/OL.