Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

DEFENSE!

HarassedOffTheSite

I think we go with a Malcolm Jenkins or Mike Mitchell who are two young FS. They aren't the best out there but they are middle of the pack Safeties and the rest are more SS caliber. Byrd is out of our price range I believe after what Vontae got. Had we signed him in the 7 range possibly but we are probably looking at someone in the 4 million range I believe. Add a center and it instantly improves our guards...you don't have to have studs across the line...but if you have a couple weak links next to each other its easier to target...we should be able to shift help however we need it if we get a solid center. I also believe we take yet again another short term deal on a middle tier wr. Yes we have some solid depth guys but we don't know what Reggie will be like coming back...Brazill is a drug test away from a long suspension and Whalen and Rodgers are big ??? I think there are plenty of options to have someone step right in and be that 3rd WR and get them for a yr and 2-3 million. We don't have many draft picks and with no first rounders we can't count on someone coming in and contributing right away....I would expect our draft to focus on DL/OL.

Jenkins got signed by the Eagles. Mitchell got signed by the Steelers.

we just paid Davis 9 and let Bethea walk for 6 million to the 49ers we need a good safety and at this point Byrd is the best one left we won't find a good safety in the Draft.

It feels like to me that the niners way overpaid for Bethea.  If it takes 6 million to get a decent starting FS then I'd rather just draft one.  

Bethea is gone. Sometimes you regress at a position. It's the nature of the beast. We have invested enough cap percentage in the secondary at this point. We're going to be looking to fill the position cheap. (No more than 5 million annually.)

It's not about Bethea its about replacing him glad ur not a gm no reason to regress unless u have cap issues, u have the money spend it key to the offseason is to get better at every position.

It's not about Bethea its about replacing him glad ur not a gm no reason to regress unless u have cap issues, u have the money spend it key to the offseason is to get better at every position.

You know this isn't a Madden forum, right? You don't seem to grasp even the simplest concept of cap management. 

I think we go with a Malcolm Jenkins or Mike Mitchell who are two young FS. They aren't the best out there but they are middle of the pack Safeties and the rest are more SS caliber. Byrd is out of our price range I believe after what Vontae got. Had we signed him in the 7 range possibly but we are probably looking at someone in the 4 million range I believe. Add a center and it instantly improves our guards...you don't have to have studs across the line...but if you have a couple weak links next to each other its easier to target...we should be able to shift help however we need it if we get a solid center. I also believe we take yet again another short term deal on a middle tier wr. Yes we have some solid depth guys but we don't know what Reggie will be like coming back...Brazill is a drug test away from a long suspension and Whalen and Rodgers are big ??? I think there are plenty of options to have someone step right in and be that 3rd WR and get them for a yr and 2-3 million. We don't have many draft picks and with no first rounders we can't count on someone coming in and contributing right away....I would expect our draft to focus on DL/OL.

Both of those guys were signed today.

Both of those guys were signed today.

Sorry...things get going fast huh. Those were two guys I thought would fit what we were trying to do....I imagine we will likely look at this in the draft even if we do sign someone now because there are few safeties that I would say are left that you can be comfortable holding it down. Sergio may be our guy going forward and developing someone else.