Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Indy is next stop on D’Qwell Jackson’s tour

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pagano should know him from his time with the Ravens too. From what I've heard from Browns fans is that he's gone slightly downhill the past two years but used to be a great player for them.

Who hasn't gone downhill for the Browns? Losing takes a toll on you. Joe Haden had his downfall with the drug thing. Eventually losing year after year takes a mental toll on you

I mean honestly, who wants to go 5-11 or worse year after year after year after year....... *continues echo*

Personally, I don't really like the idea of outbidding other teams and shelling out a large contract for an inside linebacker who will be 31 years old in September. Same goes for Brent Grimes. Great players, but how long until they decline?

Not saying I wouldn't like to see him land here. As good as Freeman was, he did have some games where he looked lost (San Diego being one). The idea of D'Qwell as our #1 ILB with Freeman next to him is really appealing. But at what price and for how long will D'Qwell keep playing at a Pro Bowl level?

I have no idea about Jackson other than his name being familiar, but I assume that he doesn't play the same position as Freeman and one will now have to adjust?

We do have some young potential sitting there, but I'm not comfortable with any of them starting yet.

I have no idea about Jackson other than his name being familiar, but I assume that he doesn't play the same position as Freeman and one will now have to adjust?

We do have some young potential sitting there, but I'm not comfortable with any of them starting yet.

They're both ILB's in a 3-4 I believe. I don't think there is a difference in how one of the 2 plays either. Could be wrong as I'm more knowledgeable in the 4-3 that my school runs. 

The Miami Herald reports free agent ILB D'Qwell Jackson will sign with one of the four teams he's visited. That's the Dolphins, Colts, Broncos and Titans. Indy is getting the last crack after Jackson visited Miami on Monday. The Herald reported Monday that Jackson was "very intrigued" by the Dolphins, but his intrigue wasn't enough to sign on the dotted line without first giving the Colts a looksee. The fact that Jackson won't take any more visits is a sign he'd like to have a new home before teams can start talking with all free agents on Saturday.

They're both ILB's in a 3-4 I believe. I don't think there is a difference in how one of the 2 plays either. Could be wrong as I'm more knowledgeable in the 4-3 that my school runs. 

I thought the duties are a bit different for the two ILBs, but I'm not sure either.

Very pleased to see that at least we're kicking the tires.

The guy is still young....  and everyone in Cleveland raved about him in the locker-room and as a teammate....   qualities that Indy puts a high price on.

He may not be great,  but he is likely an upgrade over what we have.

I'm all for bringing him in and checking him out.      Good news!     :thmup:

The Miami Herald reports free agent ILB D'Qwell Jackson will sign with one of the four teams he's visited. That's the Dolphins, Colts, Broncos and Titans. Indy is getting the last crack after Jackson visited Miami on Monday. The Herald reported Monday that Jackson was "very intrigued" by the Dolphins, but his intrigue wasn't enough to sign on the dotted line without first giving the Colts a looksee. The fact that Jackson won't take any more visits is a sign he'd like to have a new home before teams can start talking with all free agents on Saturday.

It's going to come down to how bad we want him.. We have the last look.. If we want him more then Miami he's ours..

We have Chud,

I liked what I saw from McNary but haven't watched D'Qwell at all. I'm assuming he's a big upgrade over Kavell and Pat? Any opinions on this?

I've watched Jackson play twice a year for the last couple of seasons because i live close to cincy and i watch a majority of their games if they arent on at the same time as the colts, and he is pretty solid. He isn't the most instinctive player but he is a very solid athlete and is pretty good coverage linebacker. good tackler as well.

ILB's jobs vary on there versatility and how the Defensive coordinators want to use them. If they are both of about equal talent in stopping the run and dropping back in coverage then they will split time doing each job, which is beneficial as the offense wont know which one is doing which. Obviously then if one is a better run stopper he wont drop back in coverage as often as the other linebacker does.

Jackson's a good leader and great teammate. That said, he's a good all-around player but not particularly strong in any one area. Alot of his tackles were after gains of 5+ yards.Was better in the 4-3 than the 3-4, but has never had good lateral movement and is not strong enough to shed blocks. Has certainly lost a step. Missed 26 consecutive games with separate pectoral tears. Is looking for one last good payday, wanted to stay in Cleveland but wasn't willing to restructure.

Colts would be dumb to let jackson leave without signing him!!! I always get the nfl sunday ticket and watch the browns often(because of jackson and josh Gordon and jordon cameron) and jackson is a very solid player,healthy,smart.

Well the free agency period does not start until next week so...

From what Ive read about Jackson he's a solid all around linebacker who's played in the 3-4 and 4-3. He has strong leadership ability and he stays on the field. Never gets hurt which is definitely a plus for us. But overall he does not really excell at any one thing.He's Just good at everything and he produces.I'd take him from what I hear about him. Sounds like he could be a solid addition.

From what Ive read about Jackson he's a solid all around linebacker who's played in the 3-4 and 4-3. He has strong leadership ability and he stays on the field. Never gets hurt which is definitely a plus for us. But overall he does not really excell at any one thing.He's Just good at everything and he produces.I'd take him from what I hear about him. Sounds like he could be a solid addition.

Most of what you said was fairly spot-on, besides what I bolded. DQ missed 26 consecutive games with separate pectoral tears. In fact, some thought his career was over a couple years ago.

Jackson doesn't have great lateral agility , doesn't hit with bad intentions, And would be a liability in Man coverage

I wanna see that listed on a resume under trademark skills & favorite past time hobbies Gavin. Now, that to me would be funny.  :P

Football related naturally not on the domestic violence front of course. I just needed to clarify that valid distinction. Thank you. 

I always wonder what's more important? The 1st free agency visit or the last one? Are athletes more inclined to go to the most desired spot 1st or save the best franchise for last? Yes, another GM can throw an enormous amount of money at Jackson in the hope that they don't leave the building, but the smartest guys know what team they really want to play for before they even step on the plane. Colts & Broncos are the only 2 frontrunner organizations here.

The Dolphins & Titans have no shot at landing him, but SW1 will admit I value rings more than I do straight greenbacks & if you win a ring your huge payday soon follows shortly thereafter. JMO.

As usual this will most likely come down to the dollars attached to the deal and neither the Titans or Broncos have a huge amount to play with. The Dolphins do but with all their bad publicity lately it might put a few off who have options. If they really want him I think the Colts stand a good chance here.

I always wonder what's more important? The 1st free agency visit or the last one? Are athletes more inclined to go to the most desired spot 1st or save the best franchise for last? Yes, another GM can throw an enormous amount of money at Jackson in the hope that they don't leave the building, but the smartest guys know what team they really want to play for before they even step on the plane. Colts & Broncos are the only 2 frontrunner organizations here.

The Dolphins & Titans have no shot at landing him, but SW1 will admit I value rings more than I do straight greenbacks & if you win a ring your huge payday soon follows shortly thereafter. JMO.

His old DC from Cleveland is in Tennessee and Miami just wants to spend $. Those are the motivating factors behind those visits.