Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mel Kiper's take on how the Colts should approach the off-season.

Legend of Luck

On the Dari and Mel radio show last Saturday, Mel Kiper did a call in segment where anyone could call in and ask draft/Free Agency questions.

I called in and asked, "Since the Colts do not own a first round pick this year, and we all know that offensive line is their biggest need, would it make more sense for the Colts to sign free-agent lineman and focus on defense in the draft, or to draft lineman with our 2nd and 3rd round picks?"

Mel started by agreeing with me that O-line is by far our biggest need, then went on to say. "This draft is going to work out perfectly for the Colts." He said that there was SO much Center and Guard depth that we will be able to find starters at those positions in the draft. He named a few guys specifically, but I dont remember the names.

So Mel believes we are better off DRAFTING lineman and building the rest of the team through later picks and free agency.

Before, I was thinking of signing veteran free-agent O-linemen and drafting defense, but Mel makes a lot of sense. Lineman have one of the simplest transitions to NFL over college, therefore it makes more sense to draft those positions, especially since there is so much depth.

What do you guys think? Agree? Disagree? 

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree I don't really know any names particularly I think o-line is our biggest need then I would see that d-line is a very close second but I don't see much change there we paid for them now were stuck with them (RJF) but I think if the colts can draft a mean run blocker that's decent in pass protection that would be great

I disagree, especially with the thought that the transition from college to the pros is 'simple' for offensive linemen. I think it's the second hardest transition to make, behind QB. Grigson intimated the same last year when he was asked a question about a rookie lineman vs. a rookie CB. 

If we wanted to fix the OL -- and feel confident in the moves we're making -- then FA is the best way to do it. The draft is more economical, potentially more cost effective, and those players generally have greater upside. But it's also less certain, and those players have a lot of development to make before they can be considered reliable starters.

So, for me, since this problem has plagued the Colts for so long, I'd rather we sign a center in FA, and draft some depth at T/G. 

I disagree, especially with the thought that the transition from college to the pros is 'simple' for offensive linemen. I think it's the second hardest transition to make, behind QB. Grigson intimated the same last year when he was asked a question about a rookie lineman vs. a rookie CB. 

If we wanted to fix the OL -- and feel confident in the moves we're making -- then FA is the best way to do it. The draft is more economical, potentially more cost effective, and those players generally have greater upside. But it's also less certain, and those players have a lot of development to make before they can be considered reliable starters.

So, for me, since this problem has plagued the Colts for so long, I'd rather we sign a center in FA, and draft some depth at T/G. 

The more I think about it, the more I think that maybe it should be a mixture of both. Get a stud FA C/G, AND draft another C/G in the second round. Obviously money and rest of our FA's will play a big role in that decision.

The more I think about it, the more I think that maybe it should be a mixture of both. Get a stud FA C/G, AND draft another C/G in the second round. Obviously money and rest of our FA's will play a big role in that decision.

I don't think I would want to get stud FA C/G than turn around and spend our 2nd round pick on the same position in a year we are short on draft picks when we have other areas of need as well.

Call me crazy, but I STRONGLY believe Michael Sam is gonna be an Indianapolis Colt when this thing is over

Was watching the combine & while Sam was doing all his work, always had a camera shot of Chuck Pagano

I think we're gonna pull the trigger on that guy. I'm gonna stick to this prediction until I'm proved wrong

You just spent draft picks on guard and center. If Pagano would actually play the best players, maybe the line wouldnt be so bad. The line vs kc in kc was young and inexper, but they looked good to me

The offensive line against the 49ers was dominate. When have you ever seen a team manhandle the 49ers defense the way we did?

I think getting a Long Time Starting Center is our #1 priority. Luck and the center need to begin building that chemistry for the long haul. If the FO thinks that Holmes will be that man ( I don't think so ) then so be it... If Not then I would prefer to get a Top/Stud FA Center  ..  ProfootballFocus ratings in ( )

1 . Mack would be great >  but also the most expensive         ( 2)

2. Evan Dietrich-Smith  would be a good choice and cheaper than Mack  (3)

3. Brian De Le Puente  another good choice same as Smith in cost IMO (5)

4. Joe Hawley  another good center and cheaper than Mack  ( 7)    ** read yesterday on darftinsider that there is a 50/50 chance Atlanta resigns him.

would love to pick up Jon Asmough for Guard... don't see KC keeping him and Swhartz.

if we draft a center.. top 3 are  proj draft round ( )

1.Swanson, nasty , but has shorter arms  (1-2)

2.Richburg   played at Colorado State U... I think he would fit in well with our current Offensive pulls and sweeps.  ( 2-3) 

3. Martin  from USC  I know same place Khalid Holmes came from USC.. only played 1 year @ C.. CBS Draft Scout rates him similar to Aex Mack . ( 3)  

** several teams are looking for Centers

My concern of drafting a center is will they be able to start or need to slowly be brought in during the season..  thus my choice would be to get a FA Center and Guard... 

I don't think I would want to get stud FA C/G than turn around and spend our 2nd round pick on the same position in a year we are short on draft picks when we have other areas of need as well.

I understand not wanting to use draft picks on the same position, I do, but we dont really have much of an option. Who do you want to start at RG and Center? If Thomas comes back healthy, we CANNOT start Samson or McGlynn. Some people are saying start McGlynn at Center, but we dont have time to mess around. We need concrete answers NOW. We cant wait to see if McGlynn would actually work out at Center. We need to fill those holes now.

You just spent draft picks on guard and center. If Pagano would actually play the best players, maybe the line wouldnt be so bad. The line vs kc in kc was young and inexper, but they looked good to me

We do need a C and could use depth on the offensive line but i think ILB is the biggest need on the team. If i had to rank them in order it would be this.

1. ILB

2. C

3. S

4. CB

5. DE

6. WR 

As far as ILB goes, Im interested in Henoc Muamba. If he can develop like Freeman, we may be set at ILB.  But I agree with the rest of your list. 

We have to get a DE/OLB who has the hip flexability to drop back in coverage and has and explosive quick step to pass rush, There is really only 2-3 O Linemen I'd consider in this draft, The O Line is just very average at best. There is no Jonathan Coopers, Chance Warmacks or David Decastros in this draft

I understand not wanting to use draft picks on the same position, I do, but we dont really have much of an option. Who do you want to start at RG and Center? If Thomas comes back healthy, we CANNOT start Samson or McGlynn. Some people are saying start McGlynn at Center, but we dont have time to mess around. We need concrete answers NOW. We cant wait to see if McGlynn would actually work out at Center. We need to fill those holes now.

As far as ILB goes, Im interested in Henoc Muamba. If he can develop like Freeman, we may be set at ILB.  But I agree with the rest of your list. 

I cannot wait to see this guy in NFL action....McNary is going to be strong....Adongo is going to eventually knock someone into outer space with that 270 pound frame....are you freaking serious????

nfl_g_adongo_kh_600.jpg

We have to get a DE/OLB who has the hip flexability to drop back in coverage and has and explosive quick step to pass rush, There is really only 2-3 O Linemen I'd consider in this draft, The O Line is just very average at best. There is no Jonathan Coopers, Chance Warmacks or David Decastros in this draft

Not sure if you've watched the combine, but they are saying that this is one of the deepest O-line draft classes with starting caliber talent in the last 15 years.

I cannot wait to see this guy in NFL action....McNary is going to be strong....Adongo is going to eventually knock someone into outer space with that 270 pound frame....are you freaking serious????

nfl_g_adongo_kh_600.jpg

Hes a big dude, I just wonder if he will have the flexability and dexterity in his hips to play coverage. Thats why Im more excited for Henoc.

Not sure if you've watched the combine, but they are saying that this is one of the deepest O-line draft classes with starting caliber talent in the last 15 years.

I have been watching it every day and Mayock says the same thing at some point every year "This is the deepest draft class in X number of years, When an analyst says that its sometimes a sign that there is no truely elite players at that position

I have been watching it every day and Mayock says the same thing at some point every year "This is the deepest draft class in X number of years, When an analyst says that its sometimes a sign that there is no truely elite players at that position

I see, but I think its interesting that Mel Kiper had the same remarks, at least about the O-line.

He still has Bill Tobin pushing him around....and the same freaking haircut from the 80s....

kiper1.gif

colts-vp-bill-tobin-freaked-out-question

I still remember that confrontation with Tobin and Kiper.  I respect Kiper for the work/time invested in what he's done but on the other side of the coin what Tobin sais is true.

I still remember that confrontation with Tobin and Kiper.  I respect Kiper for the work/time invested in what he's done but on the other side of the coin what Tobin sais is true.

I did too 100GFB.  At the time Kiper was a little 'Whipper-Snapper' trying to tell the GMs they were wrong with everything...Tobin let him have it :)

Kiper, McShay and the others make for a good show and a nice outline of players to follow.  I rarely agree with a whole lot of it.  I like doing my own thing...it is fun.

On the Dari and Mel radio show last Saturday, Mel Kiper did a call in segment where anyone could call in and ask draft/Free Agency questions.

I called in and asked, "Since the Colts do not own a first round pick this year, and we all know that offensive line is their biggest need, would it make more sense for the Colts to sign free-agent lineman and focus on defense in the draft, or to draft lineman with our 2nd and 3rd round picks?"

Mel started by agreeing with me that O-line is by far our biggest need, then went on to say. "This draft is going to work out perfectly for the Colts." He said that there was SO much Center and Guard depth that we will be able to find starters at those positions in the draft. He named a few guys specifically, but I dont remember the names.

So Mel believes we are better off DRAFTING lineman and building the rest of the team through later picks and free agency.

Before, I was thinking of signing veteran free-agent O-linemen and drafting defense, but Mel makes a lot of sense. Lineman have one of the simplest transitions to NFL over college, therefore it makes more sense to draft those positions, especially since there is so much depth.

This is not true at all. Find me one NFL Lineman, GM, Coach, Etc., Etc...to agree with this...go ahead...we'll all be waiting patiently!

I did too 100GFB.  At the time Kiper was a little 'Whipper-Snapper' trying to tell the GMs they were wrong with everything...Tobin let him have it :)

Kiper, McShay and the others make for a good show and a nice outline of players to follow.  I rarely agree with a whole lot of it.  I like doing my own thing...it is fun.

Yes Kiper was only considered an amateur at that time but yes he had/still has good/great information but as we all know draft/FA is still a gamble. 

Really I enjoy reading all the draftnicks - all including our own forum fans.  It takes a lot of time to view/comment on prospective draftees/FA and I commend all that take the time!  Thanks guys!

The offensive line against the 49ers was dominate. When have you ever seen a team manhandle the 49ers defense the way we did?

I honestly wouldn't mind going into the yr with McGlynn as a starting center. I would hope for a free agent signing, but McGlynn was a noticeably better center than Satele. And according to McGlynn, center is his natural position.

Its going to be good oass rushers, lbs and dbs available in the 2nd rnd. I'd prefer to use a draft pick on those positions

This is not true at all. Find me one NFL Lineman, GM, Coach, Etc., Etc...to agree with this...go ahead...we'll all be waiting patiently!

Quoted for truth. OL and DL have the most difficult transitions. Offensively, skill positions transition faster, especially RBs, then WRs, then TEs.

CBs - man comes natural and can transition faster than most defensive positions unless you play complicated zone coverages. Safety is harder to play as you are responsible for areas and communication, same way with ILB. You hope the other safety and ILB (in a 3-4) are experienced enough to show you the ropes to build with your base talent.

Yes Kiper was only considered an amateur at that time but yes he had/still has good/great information but as we all know draft/FA is still a gamble. 

Really I enjoy reading all the draftnicks - all including our own forum fans.  It takes a lot of time to view/comment on prospective draftees/FA and I commend all that take the time!  Thanks guys!

I agree.  I am a little less interested since we do not draft until late second.  I am really interested in what will be the small school sleepers as well as UFAs...  I really feel as I have stated B4 we will have UFAs make this team as well as throughout the league.

I think we should draft all defense, and sign a vet center and possibly a guard for depth. We could draft Swanson or Martin, but you don't really know what their going to give you the first season. They would be better than Satele, but that isn't saying much. I want us to sign a center like Goodwin, he would solidify the line for a couple years, allowing us to find a long term solution in the 2015 draft. I don't think Holmes will ever be more than a backup personally. I was shocked when we picked him in the 4th.

I agree with Mel's point of view and how, whenever I play around with the mock drafts, I typically assume that we have addressed at least ILB and/or FS via FA (doesn't matter who, just someone who's better than what we've got).  Obviously the name of the person we would get in the real draft may differ, but with the depth in this draft, I think that the quality of guys who will be available when we're o the clock will still be the same.

When I go that route, I feel that my draft class ends up so much better htan when I play the other way around and assume we sign, say Mack at C and a DT/DE (I say assume, because you have to assume we will sign at least a few guys in FA that will contribute, but it's impossible to know who at this point).  I think that, instead of just signing guys that meet our needs, I would at least attempt to sign guys in FA where there is a lack of depth in the 2014 draft class.  I've found that it's much easier looking for WRs, CBs, DT/NT/DE, and C/G in the draft, even at later rounds than it is to find an equal caliber ILB or FS in this year's draft class.  I don't think that its' crazy to suggest that if we went into FA and then the draft with that mindset that we could walk away with 3 immediate starters from the 2nd, 3rd, and 5th round picks.  We obviously have to be drafting the right guys for that to work, but you can say that no matter what we  do in free agency.

I want to see the O line addressed above all (seems like we've been saying that for years!)  But is there really a difference in how we get the players?  Draft, FA, it doesn't matter much to me.  Just get the best players to fix that line, then go fix the D.

I have actually grown to appreciate some of your commentary, but this is when you lose me.

The hip flexability line makes you sound like a wannabe scout. 

And there is near universal opinion that this is a very deep draft for the offensive line. 

Hes a big dude, I just wonder if he will have the flexability and dexterity in his hips to play coverage. Thats why Im more excited for Henoc.

Meh. How often do guys like Marhis and Suggs drop back in coverage? Getting after the QB is the name of the game.

Meh. How often do guys like Marhis and Suggs drop back in coverage? Getting after the QB is the name of the game.

Yeah, unless you play a guy like Brady who goes empty backfield, spreads the WRs, TEs and RB out and plays Pinada with your defense with his quick reads and release. I swear, every time I see Brady play the Steelers, it seems like deja vu against their 3-4 as to how he attacks it like I said above.

But for the most part, yep, I agree. Parcells said if Lawrence Taylor can't cover, so what??? Even if the QB completes a few passes, you still rush Taylor, you at least make life miserable for him while he is doing so. :) But the key is, one has to be exceptional at doing one thing at least, not just good, exceptional.