Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ESPN article on Colts' commitment to run game

chad72

Nothing wrong with this as long as they get the personnel we actually need to effectively have a run game.

In the Pats game we couldn't run up the middle at all which is killer.

Pep has to let Luck loose earlier next season, he isn't a game manager, he's a game changer/franchise QB. Luck did a great job decision making wise for most the season. And then went back to a few of the really bad tendencies he had last season in the playoffs. Forcing throws, impatience, throwing behind guys, misread, etc etc. 

I hope most of our key guys can stay healthy, cause the biggest thing we're in need of at the moment is an offensive line. The Pats proved that with a depleted team and a group of no name wr's, all you need is a great o-line to control the tempo of a game by running the ball. Brady was basically just a game manager this past weekend, and that was all he needed to be. 

I hope they're aiming high.. and maybe.... just maybe... Trent can be made effective?

I know a lot of people won't be happy with that and they'll say that we should maximize Luck's abilities.  However, it's a question that can go either way.  During the Peyton era, we spent a lot of high draft picks on offensive guys to get the most out of Peyton.  Some complained that we should spend the higher picks on defense and the running game.  Now, we are going to spend resources on the defense and running game and people are complaining, saying we should utilize Luck.  It's a question that can go either way.  Surround your franchise QB with offensive talent or spend the high draft picks on defense and let your great QB make later round WRs into good players?  Personally, I prefer the latter.  Make a balanced team; a good QB like Luck, Peyton, Brady, etc. can make WRs better than they are.  Balanced, deep teams win championships

I know a lot of people won't be happy with that and they'll say that we should maximize Luck's abilities.  However, it's a question that can go either way.  During the Peyton era, we spent a lot of high draft picks on offensive guys to get the most out of Peyton.  Some complained that we should spend the higher picks on defense and the running game.  Now, we are going to spend resources on the defense and running game and people are complaining, saying we should utilize Luck.  It's a question that can go either way.  Surround your franchise QB with offensive talent or spend the high draft picks on defense and let your great QB make later round WRs into good players?  Personally, I prefer the latter.  Make a balanced team; a good QB like Luck, Peyton, Brady, etc. can make WRs better than they are.  Balanced, deep teams win championships

If you really, really want to "maximize Luck's abilities",  then we need to get a quality running game.    Period.

Seriously.

Excellent post 21isSuperman! Preach my brother preach!  :worthy:

If we are are being patterned after the old Pats teams, then we will definitely be improving running the ball and stopping the run.....we may not draft a top round WR for a while. I have no problem with this. We need to be the team whose RB breaks a long TD run in a playoff game.

If this truly is the case, we can expect to utilize our cap space to sign top-tier interior linemen. Scheme-fit is important of course, but let's not act like average players will get us to where we need to be.

Thornton may have been a rookie this year, but I do not want to rely on him at Guard, and it is hard to know what to expect from Thomas.

A top Center and Guard has to be priority, especially if Pagano's comments are to be viewed with any credibility.

I'd agree with this. But I also think one helps the other. With new OL, not only does our RB and run game benefit, but so does Luck, and vice versa. Where as say a TE/WR would only really benefit Luck (like with Peyton).

Essentially Im saying OL solves A LOT of problems. 

I am happy....a couple of OL...and a healthy Dwayne Allen for a change.  There will be such holes open, even T-Rich can run through them :)  Good Post 21.

Also....we all know you cannot please everyone...if I say salt....someone else will say pepper....tomato...tomaaato.   :)

Again, surround your QB with options for a balanced offense. That is where Polian went wrong, his OL picks started going south and the earlier balance till about 2006 that we had started going south, IMO.

On defense, it is still about playing physical and good coaching schemes.

Looks like DB has no intention of coming back anyway...I did not see this posted here....

http://espn.go.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/3534/free-agent-watch-donald-brown

"It's understandable why Brown would want to play elsewhere next season. - - He's proven that he's better than a third back. He's more like a second-string running back."

Ouch.

"It's understandable why Brown would want to play elsewhere next season. - - He's proven that he's better than a third back. He's more like a second-string running back."

Ouch.

Just has not shown until contract year that he is durable for the long haul....I loved THIS past year, but not his other years.  I thought Ballard was durable.  I hope that knee is healed and it was somewhat of a fluke injury...

Obviously, you want to be able to run the ball, but beating your head against the wall for almost an entire season with a 1970's Steeler's style philosophy is not something I want to see again.  If you plan to try to play like that again, you better have the Steel Curtain built on defense 6 months from now, because that's the only way you will get away with it.  Without a dominant defense could Seattle, San Francisco or Carolina get away with their offensive philosophies?  No, they could not. 

Further, over the past two seasons, the Colts most successful offensive moments have almost invariably come from playing up-tempo, attacking offense.  Unfortunately, Luck threw some INTs in the final game and that's all people will remember, not the reality of the previous 34 games.