Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ryan Grigson is the real problem.

Dark_Indy

All I'm going to say about the 2013 draft class is that potential is there. I'm not giving up on them yet.

Going for a NT would definitely be a good way to go, and it would mean that the Colts don't need Franklin going forward.

If the Colts can find a suitable replacement for Toler, it's possible to let go of him. The Colts cannot dump him and not pick anyone up. They'll need someone to replace him, and that brings up the topic of getting an upgrade at the position (Verner again comes to mind).

Either way, lots to look forward to.

I would love the Colts to pick up Verner or Talib. That would be dirty.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude, you could put Dan Orlovsky on the Seahawks and they'd still be a 9 win team. Don't even give me that Russel Wilson crap. Alex Smith would be regarded as an Elite QB if he (Or any other QB) had that Roster.

Broncos without Manning? Made the divisional round with a guy named Tim Tebow

Patriots without Brady? Went 11-5 in 2009, missed the playoffs, but they shouldn't have.

Ahhhhhhh, noo. Just no. Broncos without Manning would be a borderline playoff team. THIS YEAR BUDDY, not 2 years ago.

The Patriots without Brady (with Mallett let's say), are barely 8-8 or maybe worse. 

Dan Orlovsky to the Seahawks. Seahawks are a great team, but Wilson completes that team. Orlovsky would not. 

Stop being stubborn.

His stats according to NFL.Com

26 total tackles, 3 Sacks 3 Pdef, 1 Forced Fumble

You also mentioned setting the edge against the run. Did you not watch the game where the Patriots just ran over the Colts for 6 touchdowns? Or the week before when a backup RB held a track meet in Lucas Oil Stadium? What about Marshawn Lynch AND Russel Wilson getting 100 yard games on the Colts. Ryan Matthews romped over the Colts for a 100 yard game, Gio Bernard was 1 yard from a 100 yard game, as well as Chris Johnson going bonkers for 2 TDs and 81 Yards in the first matchup with the titans.

It's not that I have anything against him, it's that his stats don't add up to the money we're paying him. Obviously he isn't at fault for every one of the above, but still- if he was an "it" player, I think you'd be hearing his name more. 

Ahh yes, it's simple now. You're one of those guys. The type that goes to NFL.com and looks at the stats only, and comes away with an opinion. Watch the tape. Teams run away from Walden. Hell the Patriots ran away from Walden in the 2nd half this game and a lot of their big runs came inside the tackles where Walden could not have had an impact.

He did a good job this year, and was a good signing. Look at the games, not the stats.

No one said he was an it player. The Colts have 3 maybe 4 it players on the team.

It's been a mixed bag for Grigson this year.

On offense- this side of the ball was decimated with injuries.  I think we have a budding juggernaught if we could get 1/2 of those players on IR.  Rogers, and Whalen look like good finds.  I even like Brazill.  Grigs completely whiffed on TRich and DHB though.  DHB is no biggie.  TRich is going to be an expensive mistake.

On defense- No excuses here.  The defense was largely intact and relatively healthy for most of the season.  Needs an influx of bodies now.  Mathis, Redding, and Bethea are not getting any younger. 

Grigs has his work cut out this off-season once again.  No first round pick- moan.  He better hit a homerun with the second pick.  Also, better make a better show of FA this spring.  A lot of holes on this team.

T Rich looks even worse the more I watch this dude play! At times he doesn't even show any signs that he belongs in this league.

I'm just not sure how much time we should give for this thing to pan out.  I'm just not seeing any promise with this guy.

Let me ask you this. Which is your opinion.

Walden is a phenomenal OLB that is worth the 16 mil, 8 mil guaranteed that we paid him

Walden is an ok OLB, but hasn't lived up to his contract.

Let me give you a hint. #2 is my point.

So he's either phenomenal or just ok?  How about he's been a good, possibly very good, Sam LB for our defense and he should continue to improve.  You think he's overpaid?  Compare his contract to other 3-4 Sam LB's and you'll see that what he's getting paid is on par with other Sam LB's.

Also, you probably don't remember (or never knew in the first place) but there were at least 3 teams trying to sign Walden in the offseason.  The Colts obviously.  Oakland  also wanted to sign him because their then-new GM McKenzie was familiar with Walden from their days together in Green Bay.  And there was reported to be at least one more unnamed team that wanted to bring him in for a workout but they didn't get the chance because Walden signed his contract while he was here in Indy.

Guys... it's not that hard to go 2-14 to the playoffs.... If you have all the pieces except QB. Not only did we not have a QB, our entire team was devoid of talent. When you have a team like that, it takes time to actually be a contender. Grigson smashed everybody's expectations. I don't think any other GM would have found Jerrell freeman, stole TY hilton, and make a trade that seemed meh at first but ended up giving us the closest thing to a shutdown corner we've had in a long time,.

All I'm going to say about the 2013 draft class is that potential is there. I'm not giving up on them yet.

Going for a NT would definitely be a good way to go, and it would mean that the Colts don't need Franklin going forward.

If the Colts can find a suitable replacement for Toler, it's possible to let go of him. The Colts cannot dump him and not pick anyone up. They'll need someone to replace him, and that brings up the topic of getting an upgrade at the position (Verner again comes to mind).

Either way, lots to look forward to.

Oh I am not giving up on them either.  I am just saying to this point they have been a disappointment. 

I don't know if the Colts are going to put big bucks into two corners this off-season and then cut Toler.  Even if you keep Davis you are going to have to put big bucks into him and then to replace Toler you would have to put money into another corner.  I don't know if I see the Colts doing that.  I could see them maybe letting Davis walk and signing a guy to replace Davis but I think Toler is the number two corner next year no matter what. 

I am in favor of getting a guy to replace Franklin.  I don't think he played well enough to warrant being brought back.  I think the Colts could do worse than Franklin but frankly I think they need to do a lot better at that position to make the 3/4 defense work.

I also think they need to find another playmaker at MLB.  I think Sheppard is good for depth but I think we are going to have replace Conner and Angerer at MLB.  Get a better NT and get another play making MLB and all of the sudden I think our run defense gets dramatically better. 

Ahhhhhhh, noo. Just no. Broncos without Manning would be a borderline playoff team. THIS YEAR BUDDY, not 2 years ago.

The Patriots without Brady (with Mallett let's say), are barely 8-8 or maybe worse. 

Dan Orlovsky to the Seahawks. Seahawks are a great team, but Wilson completes that team. Orlovsky would not. 

Stop being stubborn.

Ahh yes, it's simple now. You're one of those guys. The type that goes to NFL.com and looks at the stats only, and comes away with an opinion. Watch the tape. Teams run away from Walden. Hell the Patriots ran away from Walden in the 2nd half this game and a lot of their big runs came inside the tackles where Walden could not have had an impact.

He did a good job this year, and was a good signing. Look at the games, not the stats.

No one said he was an it player. The Colts have 3 maybe 4 it players on the team.

Ok. Here's an analysis of our Defense.

Outside of Robert Mathis, it sucks. Can't tackle, can't get any pressure on the QB and makes mediocre players look superhuman.

Disagree with me?

Case Keenum (1st matchup against the Texans)

Alex Smith

Knile Davis

Carson Palmer

Andy Dalton

The QB the Rams signed after Bradford went down.

Don't forget Legarrette Blount

Ok. Here's an analysis of our Defense.

Outside of Robert Mathis, it sucks. Can't tackle, can't get any pressure on the QB and makes mediocre players look superhuman.

Disagree with me?

Case Keenum (1st matchup against the Texans)

Alex Smith

Knile Davis

Carson Palmer

Andy Dalton

The QB the Rams signed after Bradford went down.

That's a pretty God awful analysis.

Here are the facts about the Colts' defense:

- They have improved by leaps and bounds over the last 2 years.

- Have the Colts have some bad games this year on defense? You're damn right they have. 

• The first half against the Texans was awful
  • There was a 4 week stretch were they were bad from start to finish.

But you know what? Every team has it's bad stretches. The Colts also held the Chiefs and 49ers to a combined 14 points. They did a great job against Peyton Manning and the Broncos offense that ranked #1... of all time. 

There was bad, but there was a lot of good too. 

Oh I am not giving up on them either.  I am just saying to this point they have been a disappointment. 

I don't know if the Colts are going to put big bucks into two corners this off-season and then cut Toler.  Even if you keep Davis you are going to have to put big bucks into him and then to replace Toler you would have to put money into another corner.  I don't know if I see the Colts doing that.  I could see them maybe letting Davis walk and signing a guy to replace Davis but I think Toler is the number two corner next year no matter what. 

I am in favor of getting a guy to replace Franklin.  I don't think he played well enough to warrant being brought back.  I think the Colts could do worse than Franklin but frankly I think they need to do a lot better at that position to make the 3/4 defense work.

I also think they need to find another playmaker at MLB.  I think Sheppard is good for depth but I think we are going to have replace Conner and Angerer at MLB.  Get a better NT and get another play making MLB and all of the sudden I think our run defense gets dramatically better. 

I just threw out that possibility as the Colts could potentially save 4.2M in cutting Toler. Like I said though, I want to keep Toler as I think when he's good, he's one of the better #2s out there. 

Franklin was always seen as a short term solution. I wouldn't mind seeing him come back for one more year, and I'd also like to see an improvement from Josh Chapman too. If the right guy is there in the 2nd or 3rd round, then it's worth going for a NT. The NT is maybe the most important position in a 3-4, or at least one of them. Getting a beast there helps the D tremendously.

Getting a playmaker on defense in general should be a focus. They lack playmakers. Freeman does his job well, but I don't know if I can call him a playmaker. Getting a great player next to him could elevate his level, like Bowman and Willis or Davis and Kuechly. Not saying Freeman and the other guy could be like that, but having two studs help each other.

I'm all in favor of getting a playmaker on defense, in the draft or free agency. The Colts got money this offseason. I've always stood by the theory of "building through the draft, adding pieces through free agency" and the Colts can add a nice playmaker via free agency. 

just need pass rusher mlb ilb  cb  NT must 3/4 defence had them be rank 8 to 12 on defense. offense see only need a center like Alex Mack and  top right guard.  have money left over fa . eric decker type wr's say were 7 pieces from sb team .

Btw, regarding this years draft. Bjeorn Werner looked better as the year went along, Hugh Thornton looks like he will be a very good lineman, Montori Hughes was looking good as well, perhaps our replacement for Redding. And its been one year since the draft.... and your already judging it lol

mentioned all of the above. Although I would argue Thornton struggled most of the year but was I said before I hope he uses what he learned this year to get better and was starting due to injury more than anything else at thus point. I also said I am sure they can be get better but TO THIS POINT it has been a disappointing class, even more so when you look at the homerun class last year. It's not a final judgement at all but it's a judgement on how they performed after their rookie years. There no huge impact rookies this year for the Colts. It doesn't mean they can't be good players going forward.

Well those season ending injuries in the first 3 seasons were unfortunate and not stoppable. The trade for Trent is something we should blame him on but I think we could have found better talent on Center and not overpaid some players.

Grigson's record through two seasons is mixed.  I'm still not sure how much last year's spending spree actually improved the team, and the Werner pick isn't looking good.  The Richardson trade - a disaster. 

Gotta improve the D and the O-line - generally the same song we've sung for 15 years. 

you know whats funny is the fans of all the teams that won 4or 5 games the last 2 years are calling for their coaches heads and they might be right. we had 2 great years back to back. it wasnt grigson orluck or pagaon or mathis or any one player that got us there. football is a team sport from the gm to your least valuable player. its pretty funny how nearsighted some fans are. if we dont win the freakin superbowl every year than it was a failed year. sure glad im not a jags fan. theres 31other teams that at least have a chance to make it.

This actually makes me laugh, Grigson is not the problem, infact WE DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM. If you havent noticed Divisional round of the playoffs aint too shabby, yet it's something to work off of.

Grigson made a few personnel mistakes but not unusual when you have to completely rebuild a roster.  He is not the problem but he may have created one with the reach on TR.  He will have to be Houdini during the this year's draft and FA signings..  The good news is that we had key people who got injured and hopefully will recover.   But we have to figure out are we really equipped to play the power football and how do we balance this with the spread and hurry up

But we have to figure out are we really equipped to play the power football and how do we balance this with the spread and hurry up

Improve the defense, run an up-tempo offense and crush people.  If Manning or Luck had Seattle's defense, no one could touch them. 

I've seen enough to know the power-running model is not the setting Luck flourishes in, and is not something we will be successful at any time soon.  He can't turn the ball over like he did last night, but you have to look at the past two seasons as a whole, not just one game. 

What are you guys going to do with Trent Richardson? Is he still the back up next year or does he get another shot at the starting job? Have to think it is Bradshaw's to lose.

The Colts blew a first-round pick on him, and Richardson is still on a rookie contract. He gets a shot at redemption.

Right. I meant Ballard. Although might be good to keep Bradshaw too just for depth. Although I really liked Brown a lot. He ran tough last night.

We'll have Ballard back and Richardson, almost assuredly in that order.

Depending on where Bradshaw's at medically, I'd think we could get him back on a one year deal.  He had injury concerns last year when we signed him to a one year deal; I can't imagine those have gone away.

I'd think Brown probably played himself into a higher paying contract than would make sense for us to give him.

Ryan Grigson's only real big mistake was giving up the first round draft pick for Trent Richardson. Someone must have "made him an offer he couldn't refuse" (like holding a gun to his head). Of course, maybe it was Grigson that was holding the gun, but I digress.

I've seen enough to know the power-running model is not the setting Luck flourishes in, and is not something we will be successful at any time soon. He can't turn the ball over like he did last night, but you have to look at the past two seasons as a whole, not just one game.

Then there's no way you watched luck at Stanford. Luck thrived and their offense thrived behind a power running game. Luck would be thriving behind the colts power running game if we had a better OL

From many forum members projecting 8-8 and a likely 2nd or 3rd place finish in the AFC South, to a final 12-6 mark, a division championship and the first post-Manning playoff win - the season was a real success, I believe.  Us old-timers only hope for more years of watching this team as it grows and further succeeds in its latest form.  The Unitas era...the brief Bert Jones tenure...the Harbaugh days...the Manning era - and now the Luck era.  Is it draft-time yet?  Have a great Spring everyone (it's coming, i promise!).

I think the original poster's basic point is valid and hard to argue with. Grigson's 2nd-year draft class WAS highly questionable and the numbers back that up. The team went as far as it did DESPITE this not BECAUSE of it.

The free agent acquisitions were questionable. Some worked out, others not so much. Yes, it is just the 2nd year into a rebuilding process. But now that rebuilding must happen w/o a #1 draft pick thanks to the flat-out foolish Richardson trade.

It's not that things can't get better, it's that things could have ALREADY been better with better decisions.

Grigson really isn't the problem.  Yes, he had a stellar 1st year, and a mediocre sophomore season.  All GM's miss here and there.  What I'm interested is in how he handles the FA's, and his shortened draft picks and who he picks.  We have no 1st or 4th round pick, and not sure what other pick we will lose for the Josh Gordy trade with the Rams back in 2012 (it was for an undisclosed  2014 pick).

He had us set up well going into the season.  We lost a lot of key starters, and whiffed on some mid season trades (less of those please!  Now I know why Polian stopped after the Corey Simon thing).  I think now is where Grigson can really shine...  or ...

I'm giving him a pass until at least after after next season.

I think the original poster's basic point is valid and hard to argue with. Grigson's 2nd-year draft class WAS highly questionable and the numbers back that up. The team went as far as it did DESPITE this not BECAUSE of it.

The free agent acquisitions were questionable. Some worked out, others not so much. Yes, it is just the 2nd year into a rebuilding process. But now that rebuilding must happen w/o a #1 draft pick thanks to the flat-out foolish Richardson trade.

It's not that things can't get better, it's that things could have ALREADY been better with better decisions.

Thank you. You paraphrased my point perfectly.

:facepalm:

Let me ask you this, how did this team not overachieve this year despite its roster and administrators?

The Colts were the benefactors of some rather monumental collapses this year- The first Texans game and the Chiefs playoff game- One cannot expect a coach to have a stroke, and four-five of the other team's pro bowl players to be injured and sit out the rest of the game every time we get behind 20 points. 

Now I am not calling for Grigson's head, no way. He brought some of the best talent we've seen to the Colts in 2012. But his 2013 acquisitions were near doodoo not just in comparison to the 2012 season, but the quality and value is just not there.