Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ryan Grigson is the real problem.

Dark_Indy

The Colts blew a first-round pick on him, and Richardson is still on a rookie contract. He gets a shot at redemption.

They would be the laughingstock of the league if they got rid of him now. Richardson was the highest rated RB in 10 years when he was drafted, hard to believe they could be that wrong about one back. Lacy wasn't nearly as highly regarded and he is All-Pro this year. The reason it took so long for Brown to start getting most carries, and some Colts fans aren't getting this, is HE CANNOT block anybody. He's almost got Luck killed a few times on whiffs this year.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They would be the laughingstock of the league if they got rid of him now. Richardson was the highest rated RB in 10 years when he was drafted, hard to believe they could be that wrong about one back. Lacy wasn't nearly as highly regarded and he is All-Pro this year. The reason it took so long for Brown to start getting most carries, and some Colts fans aren't getting this, is HE CANNOT block anybody. He's almost got Luck killed a few times on whiffs this year.

Everyone remembers "God Dammit Donald".

Thank you. You paraphrased my point perfectly.

Let me ask you this, how did this team not overachieve this year despite its roster and administrators?

The Colts were the benefactors of some rather monumental collapses this year- The first Texans game and the Chiefs playoff game- One cannot expect a coach to have a stroke, and four-five of the other team's pro bowl players to be injured and sit out the rest of the game every time we get behind 20 points. 

Now I am not calling for Grigson's head, no way. He brought some of the best talent we've seen to the Colts in 2012. But his 2013 acquisitions were near doodoo not just in comparison to the 2012 season, but the quality and value is just not there. 

Because the administrators put this team together with thoughts of winning a superbowl. I don't call losing in the divisional round as over achieving.

2013 was a good year in the history of the Indianapolis Colts. Some would even say great- but the truth is this, a group of youngsters that overcame adversity and overachieved despite the administrators of the team hindering them at every turn. The Indianapolis Colts began the 2013 season by acquiring a handful and a half of free agent players. Some were obvious fits for the scheme, such as LaRon Landry and Ahmad Bradshaw however, the former Executive of the Year seemed to whiff on some of the intermediate talent that he had acquired. Questions were raised about the acquisitions of Lawrence Sidbury and the insane contract given to Erik Walden. Most Colts fans and personnel were spoiled by the 2012 season, one where every Draft Pick and acquisition seemed to work for the Indianapolis Colts, however in 2013, that would be a different story all-together.

The downhill trend began with the 24th pick of the 2013 NFL Draft Ryan Grigson and Chuck Pagano thought it best to draft Bjoern Werner, a Defensive End from Florida State and convert him to an outside linebacker- with names like Kiko Alonso and Alec Ogletree (Both ILBs, but true linebackers) still on the draft board. The Colts then went on to draft two linemen on the offensive side, one on the defensive, a safety, a runningback and a tight end through the last six rounds of the draft. Of the six drafted players- zero started the season. One lineman (Hugh Thornton) earned a starting position due to injury, Werner was a rotational OLB, Khaled Holmes was (for some reason) AWOL the entire season. Boyett- the safety had off-the-field issues which led to him being released from the team. The defensive lineman, Montori Hughes ended the season with the Colts, albeit on injured reserve and the running back, Kerwynn Williams ended up bouncing on and off of the practice squad before the San Diego Chargers signed him. 

While the free agent additions of LaRon Landry, Ahmad Bradshaw and Gosder Cherilus ended up ok, the absolute horrendous acquisitions of Erik Walden, Lawrence Sidbury, Darrius Heyward-Bey and Kelvin Sheppard drained cap money that could have been used elsewhere and on more productive players. 

Then the season began-

Three weeks into the NFL season, Vick Ballard, Ahmad Bradshaw, Donald Thomas, and Dwayne Allen's seasons all ended. Ryan Grigson decided to counteract these injuries by swapping out his 1st round pick for Trent Richardson- a Running back selected two spots behind Andrew Luck in the 2012 NFL Draft, and the apparent savior to the Indianapolis Colts. His impact was not felt, and he was relegated to a #2 RB spot. 

Here's looking to 2014, a season that will most likely begin with Samson Satele still in the offensive line works, two consecutive wasted 1st Round Picks, and another disappointing draft for the Indianapolis Colts. Don't worry though, Grigson's gotta get something right sometime? He WAS Executive of the Year last year. 

wahhh wahhh booo hooooo hahahaa love it...

2013 was a good year in the history of the Indianapolis Colts. Some would even say great- but the truth is this, a group of youngsters that overcame adversity and overachieved despite the administrators of the team hindering them at every turn. The Indianapolis Colts began the 2013 season by acquiring a handful and a half of free agent players. Some were obvious fits for the scheme, such as LaRon Landry and Ahmad Bradshaw however, the former Executive of the Year seemed to whiff on some of the intermediate talent that he had acquired. Questions were raised about the acquisitions of Lawrence Sidbury and the insane contract given to Erik Walden. Most Colts fans and personnel were spoiled by the 2012 season, one where every Draft Pick and acquisition seemed to work for the Indianapolis Colts, however in 2013, that would be a different story all-together.

The downhill trend began with the 24th pick of the 2013 NFL Draft Ryan Grigson and Chuck Pagano thought it best to draft Bjoern Werner, a Defensive End from Florida State and convert him to an outside linebacker- with names like Kiko Alonso and Alec Ogletree (Both ILBs, but true linebackers) still on the draft board. The Colts then went on to draft two linemen on the offensive side, one on the defensive, a safety, a runningback and a tight end through the last six rounds of the draft. Of the six drafted players- zero started the season. One lineman (Hugh Thornton) earned a starting position due to injury, Werner was a rotational OLB, Khaled Holmes was (for some reason) AWOL the entire season. Boyett- the safety had off-the-field issues which led to him being released from the team. The defensive lineman, Montori Hughes ended the season with the Colts, albeit on injured reserve and the running back, Kerwynn Williams ended up bouncing on and off of the practice squad before the San Diego Chargers signed him. 

While the free agent additions of LaRon Landry, Ahmad Bradshaw and Gosder Cherilus ended up ok, the absolute horrendous acquisitions of Erik Walden, Lawrence Sidbury, Darrius Heyward-Bey and Kelvin Sheppard drained cap money that could have been used elsewhere and on more productive players. 

Then the season began-

Three weeks into the NFL season, Vick Ballard, Ahmad Bradshaw, Donald Thomas, and Dwayne Allen's seasons all ended. Ryan Grigson decided to counteract these injuries by swapping out his 1st round pick for Trent Richardson- a Running back selected two spots behind Andrew Luck in the 2012 NFL Draft, and the apparent savior to the Indianapolis Colts. His impact was not felt, and he was relegated to a #2 RB spot. 

Here's looking to 2014, a season that will most likely begin with Samson Satele still in the offensive line works, two consecutive wasted 1st Round Picks, and another disappointing draft for the Indianapolis Colts. Don't worry though, Grigson's gotta get something right sometime? He WAS Executive of the Year last year. 

I said all this 8 months ago and got hammered.  The coaches and execs are terrible.  The Colts have won over the years despite bad coaches but it has caught up with them against elite leadership time and time again.  

Not a great year for Grigs but we have a solid core of good players, its just a matter of finding that final pieces to make the big step.

The Patriots showed us that you can win controlling the trenches, we have good enough players in the skill positions

we have to get lines that can manhandle the other team

Grigson is a big reason why the Colts made the playoffs the past 2 years. its true  remember this second year as a GM. learning on the job training like pep and Chuck Pagano still semi-green  give them a break takes 4 years get a team rdy . 5 year they fail make too sb . then you fire them.

Sadly the trent richardson trade could go down as one of the worst trades of all time.He clearly is a bust.Now his free agency signings not one of them was and is a impact player.This defense needs game wreckers and we have one.Landry a huge dissapointment.

not even close

The only big problem with Grigson is spending our draft picks for quick fixes.

I hate losing our 1st and 4th for this year, and for what? Trent Richardson and Montori Hughes.

We have to keep all our picks and build through the draft or we will be setting back the rebuilding process by years...we may have lost one year already.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, January 13, 2014 - response to removed post
Hidden by Nadine, January 13, 2014 - response to removed post

What cause you say so?lol you are a clown bro.Have seen your posts not impressed keep trying though.

If you think the Richardson trade is anywhere near the worst trade in the history of the NFL then you don't know much about the nfl. Keep trying though

other than farve for a first rounder name some worse in the last twenty years.

saints entire draft for ricky williams, the hershal walker trade, the ryan leaf trade, the rick mirer trade to the bears. These are just off the top of my head.

I guess you have forgot a lot about football. You were right about that

Keep in mind ricky was a productive player at least and way to early on rg3

Not nearly as productive as the Saints were thinking he was when they made that trade.  The Redskins trade for RG3 cost them a second overall pick they could have used to take a QB this year as well as other picks.  Both those trades lead to people getting fired.  Pagano and Grigson aren't getting fired over their trade at least not right now and in fact have won a playoff game since the trade so IMO I think the previous two were worse at least right now. 

Not nearly as productive as the Saints were thinking he was when they made that trade.  The Redskins trade for RG3 cost them a second overall pick they could have used to take a QB this year as well as other picks.  Both those trades lead to people getting fired.  Pagano and Grigson aren't getting fired over their trade at least not right now and in fact have won a playoff game since the trade so IMO I think the previous two were worse at least right now.

I see what you are saying and for the most part I agree, however, you can't say that the Colts won a playoff game since the trade and that helps to make the trade somewhat palatable T-Rich did his best to sabotage our playoff win with his fumble and was a non-factor in last night's game. Just wanted to point that out.

Okay, let's carry on.

saints entire draft for ricky williams, the hershal walker trade, the ryan leaf trade, the rick mirer trade to the bears. These are just off the top of my head.

I guess you have forgot a lot about football. You were right about that

Herchel and ricky at least had productive careers after the trades.Teams will take huge chances on trades for qbs hoping to get a good one.Where does it look like richardson can play?

Herchel and ricky at least had productive careers after the trades.Teams will take huge chances on trades for qbs hoping to get a good one.Where does it look like richardson can play?

It doesnt matter. If he never plays another down, it wont be in the top ten worst trades of all time.

I see what you are saying and for the most part I agree, however, you can't say that the Colts won a playoff game since the trade and that helps to make the trade somewhat palatable T-Rich did his best to sabotage our playoff win with his fumble and was a non-factor in last night's game. Just wanted to point that out.

Okay, let's carry on.

I am just saying the Colts as a team had success after their trade (granted I'll admit T-Rich hasn't helped much to achieve that success) but the other teams went down hill after their trade and it coming back to haunt them.  Time will tell this trade might come back to haunt them the Colts as well but hey at least they only gave up one pick for it rather than other teams that gave away multiple picks for their trades. 

Heck I don't even think this is the worst trade in Colts history.  The trade to get George was worse and so was the trade to get Ugoh as that trade hurt us in three different draft, the year we picked him, the pick the next year we lost to get him, and the pick we had to use to replace him.  Maybe the T-Rich trade will end up like the Ugoh one but for now I think it's worse than the T-Rich trade and I don't think either trade is as bad as the George trade. 

I am just saying the Colts as a team had success after their trade (granted I'll admit T-Rich hasn't helped much to achieve that success) but the other teams went down hill after their trade and it coming back to haunt them.  Time will tell this trade might come back to haunt them the Colts as well but hey at least they only gave up one pick for it rather than other teams that gave away multiple picks for their trades. 

Heck I don't even think this is the worst trade in Colts history.  The trade to get George was worse and so was the trade to get Ugoh as that trade hurt us in three different draft, the year we picked him, the pick the next year we lost to get him, and the pick we had to use to replace him.  Maybe the T-Rich trade will end up like the Ugoh one but for now I think it's worse than the T-Rich trade and I don't think either trade is as bad as the George trade.

yea george trade was horrible,think your right ugoh was maybe a few slots down then where cleveland gets our pick.

yea george trade was horrible,think your right ugoh was maybe a few slots down then where cleveland gets our pick.

Don't forget the.... God, was it 2008 or 09 draft where Polian traded our 44th pick and a 4th Rounder for the 49th pick of the draft to the Jaguars.

Why?

I was disappointed to an extent with some of the decisions. The problem is that the Colts had a good deal of cap space and had to spend the money. The nice thing is that DHB and Sidbury were one year deals. Toler is only for three. We had to have an OLB and we could have paid twice as much for Paul Kruger, but instead paid Walden. I think Walden was just as effective as Kruger. I am disappointed we did not go after Sean Smith instead given the similar contract numbers.

Trent Richardson perhaps is like the Donald Brown pick for Polian. It is a whiff initially, but perhaps he contributes more next year.

The draft decisions have to get better though. You cannot maintain excellence by missing in the draft. I think Werner will be better next year. That being said, he looks a lot like Paul Kruger. Once he learns the game more, he will contribute more.