Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Josh Chapman

Dark Superman

I don't understand why Franklin is starting he's on his back 4 to 5 times a game. He used to be good with the 49ers but he seems over the hill, can't take on two blockers anymore. Chapman should be starting and get most of the reps.

I think part of it is that Chapman anchors the second defensive line unit. If you took him off of that unit, it would be Mathews and Pendleton (or previously Moala), with Franklin in the middle. That second unit with Chapman is already noticeably worse than the first unit. It would be terrible without Chapman. But I do agree that the first unit would be considerably better with Chapman playing inside of Redding and RJF. I'm looking forward to seeing him start next year.

Sometimes the 2nd unit looks better then the 1st unit as far as stopping the run. The best players should always start and most of us agree that Chapman is better then Franklin. I would have like to see Chapman and Hughes start next to Redding but the coaches don't like playing rookies.

I think part of it is that Chapman anchors the second defensive line unit. If you took him off of that unit, it would be Mathews and Pendleton (or previously Moala), with Franklin in the middle. That second unit with Chapman is already noticeably worse than the first unit. It would be terrible without Chapman. But I do agree that the first unit would be considerably better with Chapman playing inside of Redding and RJF. I'm looking forward to seeing him start next year.

Sometimes the 2nd unit looks better then the 1st unit as far as stopping the run. The best players should always start and most of us agree that Chapman is better then Franklin. I would have like to see Chapman and Hughes start next to Redding but the coaches don't like playing rookies.

I don't think it has anything to do with the coaches not liking playing rookies. Rookies have played all over the field in the past two years, at practically every position. I really think that's a silly cop out that people keep throwing around.

I also don't think Hughes should have been starting over RJF. I keep asking people what about his play they have a problem with, and I haven't gotten a straight answer. RJF has played fine for us all year, though he looked a little out of sorts last game. Not surprising after he missed a month with an injury. I liked how Hughes played before he got hurt, and I'm excited to see him next season. But I still expect RJF to start.

I watched the 2nd have closely last night.  It looks like the starting DL is Redding and RJF and DE's and Franklin at NT.  Chapman comes off the bench and does his thing, I was pleasantly surprised with Pendleton, he is active and hustles.  Somtimes Chapman and Pendleton plays DT together.  On certain pass defense formations, they have the big DE's play DT and put Mathis, Walden, or Werner as outside rush LB/DE's.  The LB's combo is interesting.  Sheppard and McNary is getting is getting a lot of playing time with Freeman and Conner and in the inside and that keeps them all fresh to run and hustle to the ball carrier.  Sheppard seems to have settled down is playing more relaxed and comfortable.  McNary was been effective from the get go. 

I don't think it has anything to do with the coaches not liking playing rookies. Rookies have played all over the field in the past two years, at practically every position. I really think that's a silly cop out that people keep throwing around.

I also don't think Hughes should have been starting over RJF. I keep asking people what about his play they have a problem with, and I haven't gotten a straight answer. RJF has played fine for us all year, though he looked a little out of sorts last game. Not surprising after he missed a month with an injury. I liked how Hughes played before he got hurt, and I'm excited to see him next season. But I still expect RJF to start.

agreed, and I think Hughes is being groomed to take over for Redding anyway, not RJF.  

agreed, and I think Hughes is being groomed to take over for Redding anyway, not RJF.  

i do agree but also wonder on this... do you think we will draft a high DE next draft? or get someone like arthur jones/radiers DE (forgot his name)?

I watched the 2nd have closely last night.  It looks like the starting DL is Redding and RJF and DE's and Franklin at NT.  Chapman comes off the bench and does his thing, I was pleasantly surprised with Pendleton, he is active and hustles.  Somtimes Chapman and Pendleton plays DT together.  On certain pass defense formations, they have the big DE's play DT and put Mathis, Walden, or Werner as outside rush LB/DE's.  The LB's combo is interesting.  Sheppard and McNary is getting is getting a lot of playing time with Freeman and Conner and in the inside and that keeps them all fresh to run and hustle to the ball carrier.  Sheppard seems to have settled down is playing more relaxed and comfortable.  McNary was been effective from the get go. 

NO! Don't mention Sheppard. The 'Jerry' gang will be out in force again. Dang Nabbit, what have I done......

I don't understand why Franklin is starting he's on his back 4 to 5 times a game. He used to be good with the 49ers but he seems over the hill, can't take on two blockers anymore. Chapman should be starting and get most of the reps.

Franklin is not playing well. Another example of winning inspite of ...