Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If Manning wins the Super Bowl does he retire?

amfootball

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was trying to be nice as I do think he had trouble retiring. But he was a tool, http://www.opposingviews.com/i/brett-favre-the-most-selfish-player-in-nfl-history

I see the unpleasant slant of some guy who doesn't like Favre. There isn't a shred of evidence that he is "selfish", and aside from the text there is nothing he's done that I take exception to. People weren't tired of Favre's indecision, they were tired of the media talking about it and exaggerating it for "humorous" effect. And I use that term very loosely. People trying to make a joke turned Favre into a joke. All he actually did was play football for as long as he could.

This all started because he made the mistake of being honest with the Packers about feeling his age after one particular season. They immediately went out and drafted Rodgers, and the countdown to his being forced unceremoniously out on his keester from his professional home was started. All the noise in between was meaningless - Rodgers was drafted to replace him and he did so, and Favre suffered for it. By all rights he should have been able to finish his career in GB. The last three years were ridiculous, but he was clearly just trying to put himself in a position to win again. The Jets were a joke but it was the best he could do. That was the "season of the text", and it somehow seems appropriate. He ultimately ended up trying to exact some revenge on the Packers, and I say "good for him". That one last taste of glory in 2009 was something special.

All the bad stuff written about Favre stems from the fact that he wears his heart on his sleeve. It defines him as a person and as a player. For some it's a reason to like him, for some a reason to hate him. There is precious little in any of that which suggests that he's actually either a saint or a sinner, he's just a football player - who when frequently faced with a microphone stuck in his face asking how he felt, had the nerve to be honest.

I have always thought he and Favre were the most alike in terms of their careers like you said. That being said, Favre was a pre-Madonna tool. Peyton is class personified.

No, he was actually post-Madonna.

He was indeed a prima donna however.

I see the unpleasant slant of some guy who doesn't like Favre. There isn't a shred of evidence that he is "selfish", and aside from the text there is nothing he's done that I take exception to. People weren't tired of Favre's indecision, they were tired of the media talking about it and exaggerating it for "humorous" effect. And I use that term very loosely. People trying to make a joke turned Favre into a joke. All he actually did was play football for as long as he could.

This all started because he made the mistake of being honest with the Packers about feeling his age after one particular season. They immediately went out and drafted Rodgers, and the countdown to his being forced unceremoniously out on his keester from his professional home was started. All the noise in between was meaningless - Rodgers was drafted to replace him and he did so, and Favre suffered for it. By all rights he should have been able to finish his career in GB. The last three years were ridiculous, but he was clearly just trying to put himself in a position to win again. The Jets were a joke but it was the best he could do. That was the "season of the text", and it somehow seems appropriate. He ultimately ended up trying to exact some revenge on the Packers, and I say "good for him". That one last taste of glory in 2009 was something special.

All the bad stuff written about Favre stems from the fact that he wears his heart on his sleeve. It defines him as a person and as a player. For some it's a reason to like him, for some a reason to hate him. There is precious little in any of that which suggests that he's actually either a saint or a sinner, he's just a football player - who when frequently faced with a microphone stuck in his face asking how he felt, had the nerve to be honest.

I do think there was some media exaggeration here but honestly Favre made it pretty easy for them. He did in fact hold a retirement ceremony and cried only to then tell the Packers he wanted to come back. He also had a habit of making them wait to the start of TC or later to tell them if he was coming back because he didn't want to participate in TC. He always felt he was above that for some reason. Like he had earned the right to skip TC while all his other teammates were there including his receivers who would have like to get on the same page with him.

Then of course there is the pictures of his privates to the NY Jets employee which I see you left out.

Like I said, I really loved him as a player but the last five years of his career were a drama show led by him primarily. He certainly loved the lime light and playing up his tough guy image by playing hurt. To each their own I suppose but my main point was how Manning differs from him. While I do think their football careers mirror in many ways, they could not be any more different off the field and their approach to the media and their teammates.

Peyton has now broken the single season passing-yards and passing-TD records set by Brees and Brady, but Patriots fans can still cling to their last desperate argument that Brady is better because he has more Superbowl rings.  

I don't think many were saying that Brady was better because he had some records.  Having a few records is not an indicator of being a better player, its an indicator of having a spectacular season.

For most Patriots fans, Brady getting that TD record was more about the respect that it demanded from his peers and opposing fans.  I've been on this board since 2002 or so, and for like 4-5 years many on this board had it in their mind that Brady was a dink and dunk "system" QB that wasn't very good and didn't put up godly stats therefor he wasn't good.  2007 changes all of that when they finally gave him some weapons and he broke the record, which ended the whole "Brady doesn't have the stats" argument that was constantly flung around.

Records are team accomplishments as well, you can't break TD records or most points scored in a season by yourself.. you need exceptional players and talent around you, which is what Manning had this year and what Brady had in 2007.  

Its also not just about Brady's rings for me, its about HOW he won so many of his games, including TWO game winning Super Bowl drives (would have been 3 in 2007, but we all know how that ended).  Heck, even in his 2011 super bowl he went down the field and got a touchdown to take the lead with only a like 2 minutes or less left on the clock.  

For me, 2007 was a big middle finger to everyone who doubted Brady or that team, especially with all of the spygate nonsense.  They shut everyone up, well everyone except irrational and jealous haters.  I could care less if Brady breaks another record for the rest of his career, I just want to see them win 1 more Super Bowl to cement himself as the GOAT.

What made Favre a tool? Seems most of his past teammates love him.

Not sure how true that is, I remember reading how Favre alienated teammates a lot, especially when he was on the Jets and Vikings.  He had his own office outside of the locker room and never spent time with the guys, he expected to be treated differently and thought he was above all the other players.

Favre to me was never very likable, especially when he turned every single off season into a drama about his retirement-unretirement-retirement-unretirement-retirement-unretirement..   Hes a primadonna, he loved all the attention he was getting and dragged everyone through that garbage for 3 or so years.

I don't think many were saying that Brady was better because he had some records.  Having a few records is not an indicator of being a better player, its an indicator of having a spectacular season.

For most Patriots fans, Brady getting that TD record was more about the respect that it demanded from his peers and opposing fans.  I've been on this board since 2002 or so, and for like 4-5 years many on this board had it in their mind that Brady was a dink and dunk "system" QB that wasn't very good and didn't put up godly stats therefor he wasn't good.  2007 changes all of that when they finally gave him some weapons and he broke the record, which ended the whole "Brady doesn't have the stats" argument that was constantly flung around.

Records are team accomplishments as well, you can't break TD records or most points scored in a season by yourself.. you need exceptional players and talent around you, which is what Manning had this year and what Brady had in 2007.  

Its also not just about Brady's rings for me, its about HOW he won so many of his games, including TWO game winning Super Bowl drives (would have been 3 in 2007, but we all know how that ended).  Heck, even in his 2011 super bowl he went down the field and got a touchdown to take the lead with only a like 2 minutes or less left on the clock.  

For me, 2007 was a big middle finger to everyone who doubted Brady or that team, especially with all of the spygate nonsense.  They shut everyone up, well everyone except irrational and jealous haters.  I could care less if Brady breaks another record for the rest of his career, I just want to see them win 1 more Super Bowl to cement himself as the GOAT.

Good points. One other thing here. Brady does not just have the rings, he has a career worthy of GOAT status and that career reflects stats, records, regular season accomplishments and post-season accomplishments.

I do think Brady is significantly overrated in the playoffs. He simply doesn't play as well as led to believe. He escaped media scrutiny for those Giants SBs despite having incredible offenses (precisely what Manning gets slammed for every single year), his career in AFC Championship games is actually worse than mediocre, and his overall playoff rating is 87 come post season which is below quite a few active QBs. And I get the hunch Brady played the majority of his playoff games at home.

Not really trying to bash Brady though it seems that way, but I really do not think he anymore dangerous than Peyton Manning, Rodgers or Brees in the playoffs. 

Not sure how true that is, I remember reading how Favre alienated teammates a lot, especially when he was on the Jets and Vikings.  He had his own office outside of the locker room and never spent time with the guys, he expected to be treated differently and thought he was above all the other players.

Favre to me was never very likable, especially when he turned every single off season into a drama about his retirement-unretirement-retirement-unretirement-retirement-unretirement..   Hes a primadonna, he loved all the attention he was getting and dragged everyone through that garbage for 3 or so years.

Never heard that one. One of the local radio personalities here played with him and said Favre pretty much held court in the locker room, telling stories and joking with all his teammates....said you couldn't meet a better guy. But who knows?

On the other hand, he said Boomer Esiason was a complete jerk lol.

Then of course there is the pictures of his privates to the NY Jets employee which I see you left out.

Like I said, I really loved him as a player but the last five years of his career were a drama show led by him primarily. He certainly loved the lime light and playing up his tough guy image by playing hurt. To each their own I suppose but my main point was how Manning differs from him. While I do think their football careers mirror in many ways, they could not be any more different off the field and their approach to the media and their teammates.

I didn't leave it out, I clearly referenced it twice as a negative. If you missed that I wonder how closely you are reading the rest of it.

I understand what you are saying - there is no question but that he had trouble making up his mind. The thing is, someone who is irritated with him will assume that it was a charade to avoid training camp. Someone else might assume that he was honestly leaning towards retirement but come August the competitive juices would start flowing and he couldn't resist coming back. As long as management was OK with it, who cares? They could have given him a firmer deadline, they chose not to.

Nobody outside of the team he was playing for would have given a hill of beans about this if it wasn't for so much over-the-top media fascination that it became fodder for not just ESPN, but late night talk shows. Just a stupid running joke such as "Gerald Ford is a clumsy oaf" that have little to no basis in reality. And that's why everyone is so sick of this - not because of HIM, but because of what the media made of it. I've seen stories in the years since he finally retired when someone would start a rumor, and the media would jump in to belittle him again about this all being a game to seek attention, when in actuality he had done nothing and said nothing - it was all about the letches trying to make money off of him. We have NO idea what percentage of what went on in his final years was intentional exploitation on his part, or rather the exaggeration and perhaps complete invention of someone else.

By the way, it's true that Favre and Manning both spent a lot of time with the same team - then changed and had additional success, played to an older age that most QBs, have a 1-1 super bowl record, and are at the top of the career stat charts, but I doubt that they have much in common otherwise - on the field or off. You've said this before, and somewhere in it I smell a "they both failed in big spots" implication which is clearly inaccurate in both cases. Lets not go there again today, shall we? :thmsup:

I didn't leave it out, I clearly referenced it twice as a negative. If you missed that I wonder how closely you are reading the rest of it.

I understand what you are saying - there is no question but that he had trouble making up his mind. The thing is, someone who is irritated with him will assume that it was a charade to avoid training camp. Someone else might assume that he was honestly leaning towards retirement but come August the competitive juices would start flowing and he couldn't resist coming back. As long as management was OK with it, who cares? They could have given him a firmer deadline, they chose not to.

Nobody outside of the team he was playing for would have given a hill of beans about this if it wasn't for so much over-the-top media fascination that it became fodder for not just ESPN, but late night talk shows. Just a stupid running joke such as "Gerald Ford is a clumsy oaf" that have little to no basis in reality. And that's why everyone is so sick of this - not because of HIM, but because of what the media made of it. I've seen stories in the years since he finally retired when someone would start a rumor, and the media would jump in to belittle him again about this all being a game to seek attention, when in actuality he had done nothing and said nothing - it was all about the letches trying to make money off of him. We have NO idea what percentage of what went on in his final years was intentional exploitation on his part, or rather the exaggeration and perhaps complete invention of someone else.

By the way, it's true that Favre and Manning both spent a lot of time with the same team - then changed and had additional success, played to an older age that most QBs, have a 1-1 super bowl record, and are at the top of the career stat charts, but I doubt that they have much in common otherwise - on the field or off. You've said this before, and somewhere in it I smell a "they both failed in big spots" implication which is clearly inaccurate in both cases. Lets not go there again today, shall we? :thmsup:

Good post and I agree with much of it. The only thing I would say is that Favre knew the media was going to run with any fodder he gave them he seemed to relish that.

Second, how come Manning did not say anything about the Irsay comments leading up to the Indy/Denver game? Because he knew they would be a lightning rod and a distraction to the main objective of winning the game. Favre I think never got this. He liked to be at the center. So often he could have said no comment like Manning but chose not to. At some point that is on him.

Third, when I talked about their careers, I was more referencing the regular season records and league MVPs and the fact that both have played in two SBs, winning one and losing the other.

• 2 weeks later...

No way! If Manning wins 2 Super bowls, they'll say he needs 3. If he did that, they'd say he needs 4. There is a sick need to prop Peyton up when he achieves milestones and then knock him down again.

I think you are exactly right....No. 1

There is a need to keep the debate going no matter what the reality is...and a never ending desire to go against whatever the flow of the argument is at this moment.

I have always thought he and Favre were the most alike in terms of their careers like you said. That being said, Favre was a pre-Madonna tool. Peyton is class personified.

Favre came into the league in 1991.  Madonna broke out in in the early 80s :)

You are correct, Peyton is class personified.

it would be fun to ride off in the sunset with this year capped off with a SB, but my guess is that he will comeback . . .. I gotta think that he got at least two more good years left and he can only add to his legacy . . . if he gets his second ring and does not win one in the next two years, I do not think that would bother him . . . maybe if he does it when he is 40, they I would agree with you

In a situation like this meaning a hypothetical situation that hasn't been concluded yet season wise, I usually put myself in Peyton's own shoes & say if it were me I want to go out on top at the pinnacle of my profession. Tony Dungy did it, Michael Strahan did it, & David Robinson of the NBA San Antonio Spurs won a Championship in 2003 & exited on top.

Doing this is so powerful as an athlete because fans always remember your rookie year & the very last competitive game you played in. If the last memory they have of you is confetti dropping as a 2 time SB Champion & the only QB with a soon 5 MVP Awards & the only field general to win 2 SBs with 2 different franchises there is nothing left to prove. The league's all time passer is meaningless next to shattering MVP Awards & a Dual Lombardi Champion on 2 separate teams. JMO. Don't underestimate the clout of leaving at the perfect moment. It is HUGE.

I will support whatever 18 decides to do of course, but I would hang up my cleats after winning ring #2 personally. 

I live in WI, saw Brett Favre up close & personal, detested all the coverage he got on his will he/won't he retire media frenzy tour, & grew weary of all the will Favre take the NY Jets & later Minnesota Vikings to a SB love feast. It was so darn pathetic. ESPN treated Favre like a newly elected pope & we are all waiting for the white smoke confirmation. It was disgusting! 

But if you asked me to encapsulate why I deplore Favre so much it is this: The last few years of his career he refused to attend minicamps, OTA's, & full training camp sessions not fair to the rest of his teammates at GB, NY, & MN. Also, why is Brett Favre as hailed as a "gun slinger" when it really means he just made dumb decisions with the ball, those foolish decisions lead to turnovers, & those lack of ball security skills probably cost #4 at least 1 maybe 2 more Championships. Black QBs like Vince Young & Steve McNair were never given a pass over throwing interceptions & yet Favre always was. Explain that one to me please. Brett Favre was given a huge double standard performance wise vs African American NFL QBs trust me on this one. 

I respect Favre's years in this league, believe he is a 1st ballot HOF QB, but I despise his arrogance, failure to sweat equally with his teammates in training camp, & I think it is deplorable how he attempted to cheat on his married wife with Jets personnel person Jenn Sterger. 

"There isn't a shred of evidence that he is "selfish", and aside from the text there is nothing he's done that I take exception to. People weren't tired of Favre's indecision, they were tired of the media talking about it and exaggerating it for "humorous" effect. " I respect you MAC, but that sentence is complete elephant dung. 

No MAC, all my anger has little to do the media & 85% of my venom is directly entirely at Favre for his own demands for special treatment & self inflicted celebrity exploits. 

Bump, Manning is almost there. I think there is 50/50 chance that he does retire if he wins ... go out on top.

I don't think so... but on the flip side, I've been reading comments that some think Brady should retire, before he declines anymore..?? Thoughts..???

lol. Brady is not declining and he wants to play until he is 40. He has said that all season.

yeah, I know. Just wishful thinking on some people's part. Just the same as those thinking Peyton should retire, when he's playing his best football Ever.

yeah, I know. Just wishful thinking on some people's part. Just the same as those thinking Peyton should retire, when he's playing his best football Ever.

Who is wishing that on Peyton? I just think he might because he has played for so long and going out on top would be sweet.

what did he answer...cant see those stuff here in mexico :(

He said something to the effect that as long as he could play at the level that he has been playing he had no desire to retire at this time. It's been some time since I saw the interview so I can't remember it word for word but I took it that he is not ready to retire at this time. I personally think winning the SB  would change his mind at all. :thmup: