Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cleveland to fire Rob Chudzinski

SkyBane

Stupid move.  They played decently when you consider all the factors:

1) he was playing with scraps.  Who did he have at QB?  Weeden, Hoyer, and Campbell?

2) they traded away one of their 2 best offensive players in Richardson

3) they were stockpiling picks, but trade Chudzi before he can draft some guys and build the team he wants

4) given how bad they've been, they need to be patient with (yet another) rebuild

5) with Chudzi fired, they will have 2 coaches on their payroll that don't even coach for the team anymore

Stupid move. They played decently when you consider all the factors:

1) he was playing with scraps. Who did he have at QB? Weeden, Hoyer, and Campbell?

2) they traded away one of their 2 best offensive players in Richardson

3) they were stockpiling picks, but trade Chudzi before he can draft some guys and build the team he wants

4) given how bad they've been, they need to be patient with (yet another) rebuild

5) with Chudzi fired, they will have 2 coaches on their payroll that don't even coach for the team anymore

I actually think it's a good move. You have to some continuity, but not if you really don't believe in the guy. I say best to cut your losses now or end up with Jim Schwartz part 2.

I actually think it's a good move. You have to some continuity, but not if you really don't believe in the guy. I say best to cut your losses now or end up with Jim Schwartz part 2.

If Lombardi didn't believe in Chudzinski then why did he hire him in the first place?

He didn't do that badly though.  They lost several games by 1 TD or less and he made Campbell and Hoyer look decent.

how can you retain a staff before a coach is even hired?

Tell the incoming coach this your staff...I guess. If I was the incoming coach I wouldn't complain about Norv Turner and Ray Horton. I don't think Mike Tomlin had much say when he was hired in Pittsburgh.

I don't understand the logic of firing a coach after only one year. You can't make forward progress without some consistency.

I agree in principle, but if they don't believe Chudzinski is the guy for them, there's no sense in waiting. I don't think Chudzinski is the problem, but I don't think he's the solution either. Lots of promising coaches available right now.

I'm wondering if they did this so they can promote nor turner. That would make sense with keeping the rest of the coaching staff in place. They can then add OC to the title of one of the position coaches since norv would likely run the offense and do the play calling anyway.

I'm wondering if they did this so they can promote nor turner. That would make sense with keeping the rest of the coaching staff in place. They can then add OC to the title of one of the position coaches since norv would likely run the offense and do the play calling anyway.

But why not just hire Norv last year as HC

Surprised this happened so quickly... but I also thought Chud was a terrible hire in the first place.  His Panthers resume really wasn't that impressive and the team honestly seems better off since he's left.  Don't think he offered much to the Browns that Norv already wouldn't as an offensive guy, either.

To me this says more about the Cleveland front office then Rob.  To cut ties with a coach this quickly just speaks volumes about your hiring process.  If I am a Browns fan a lot of hope that Lombardi would turn this team around would go out the window.  How can you have faith in the guy to rebuild your team when he cannot even find his coach to lead the team.