Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is KC legit?

xXBOXADDICTx

Colts vs. Chiefs    ( per NFL.com )

The Chiefs have played the NFL's easiest strength of schedule. Their opponents have a combined record of 80-116 (.408). The Chiefs are 1-2 against opponents currently over .500 this season (losses to the Broncos in Weeks 11 and 13, a win at Eagles in Week 3).

Chiefs fan here - and this is a question we've been asking ourselves all year.  Probably won't get an answer until the playoffs.

On one side of the argument, you can only play who you're scheduled.  No, we haven't really beat anyone, but our three losses were by a combined 20 points - two of those losses being to the best team (well, Manning) in the AFC.

One thing that makes me lean more towards the "legit" end of the spectrum is that we've beat who we were supposed to beat.  We haven't lost a game to a team that we should have beat/dominated.  We haven't had any "let-down" games.

The rest of the potential AFC playoff teams can't say that.  You guys got throttled by the Rams.  Baltimore lost to Buffalo, Cleveland and Pittsburgh.  New England lost to the Jets.  Cincinnati lost to Cleveland and Pittsburgh.  Miami lost to Buffalo and Tampa.

Due to your posting restrictions for n00bs, I won't be able to respond to this until later this afternoon - and we might have more answers then.  But personally, winning in the playoffs should be the measuring stick of this team.

Good luck today, fellas.  Stay healthy.

I see them as a good team, but a team that we "can" beat.  "*Should* beat" may be too strong a term

considering our health, but today's conditions make it a toss-up for me.  Whoever takes care of the ball

the best wins this game.

You are what your record is.  That alone makes them "legit", i guess.

Colts vs. Chiefs    ( per NFL.com )

The Chiefs have played the NFL's easiest strength of schedule. Their opponents have a combined record of 80-116 (.408). The Chiefs are 1-2 against opponents currently over .500 this season (losses to the Broncos in Weeks 11 and 13, a win at Eagles in Week 3).

This is what I said yesterday. They haven't played very many good teams. And they have one 6 of their 11 by less than a 10. They are a good team, but I don't think they are the best in the AFC by any stretch

Good game today, guys.  You dominated us in every facet of the game.  I mentioned yesterday in another thread that I was concerned about getting to Luck, and sure enough, we didn't.  I only remember one sack, and that came on a review.  That's not going to cut it against a great QB like Luck.

Hope the Redding injury isn't serious. 

It's going to take a NE win today and a Cincinnati win next week to force a rematch at your place.

Good luck the rest of the way.

Colts vs. Chiefs ( per NFL.com )

I'm not sure but JC sure as heck is.....

Good game today, guys.  You dominated us in every facet of the game.  I mentioned yesterday in another thread that I was concerned about getting to Luck, and sure enough, we didn't.  I only remember one sack, and that came on a review.  That's not going to cut it against a great QB like Luck.

Hope the Redding injury isn't serious. 

It's going to take a NE win today and a Cincinnati win next week to force a rematch at your place.

Good luck the rest of the way.

You are always welcome here, sir. Look forward to seeing you back here in a couple weeks.

Thanks, and don't take this the wrong way, but I hope we get another shot at you guys.

I think our best game versus your best game would be an excellent matchup and an entertaining game.

I get it. I don't think your offense was dialed in, for whatever reason (maybe because you were missing a couple linemen?) And your pass rush should improve when Justin Houston comes back. I was expecting him to play this week. And both teams would benefit from playing in a dome.

Yes. Not as good as their record, but good. That defense was good last year. No team in the NFL had more pro-bowlers last season. 

Yeah, the talent is there. Their turnaround is a testament to how important coaching and quarterbacking are in the NFL. I'm not that big of an Andy Reid fan, but he's had a lot of success in the NFL. And I'm not that big of an Alex Smith fan, but he's definitely better than Matt Cassel and Brady Quinn.

I get it. I don't think your offense was dialed in, for whatever reason (maybe because you were missing a couple linemen?) And your pass rush should improve when Justin Houston comes back. I was expecting him to play this week. And both teams would benefit from playing in a dome.

Last post before the n00b restriction sets in, so bear with me...

The only OL we were missing was starting LT Branden Albert.  But he's been out a few weeks and we've been fine.

The issue with the offense is one that hardcore Chiefs fans have argued about all season long - Alex Smith.  During the 9-0 run to begin the season, he was pretty brutal, but the team kept winning due to historic defensive and special teams play.  The biggest issue I had personally with the trade for Smith is his "play not to lose" instead of playing to win mentality.  He's risk-adverse, and it hurts the offense.  He regularly passes up an opportunity at a big play in favor of the checkdown. 

Fast forward to a few weeks ago against San Diego - Smith starts pushing the ball downfield, and what do you know, we score 38.  The defense let us down that day, but we all saw what the offense could be.

Today, he regressed to "Bad Alex".  He made no effort to push the ball downfield, which makes it much easier for the defense when you only have to protect a 10 yard box from the line of scrimmage.  He also reverted back to his bad habit of staring at the rush, instead of keeping his eyes downfield.

It's certainly not ALL on Alex, but what "blame" is left can go to Andy Reid.  At one point late in the 3rd quarter, Jamaal Charles had NINE carries.

That's criminal, especially against a defense that has struggled against the run - no disrespect meant.

Anywho, I'm rooting for a Cincinnati win next week - really want a rematch.  I'm guessing we may have a bit of a chip on our shoulder should we get another shot.

Yeah, the talent is there. Their turnaround is a testament to how important coaching and quarterbacking are in the NFL. I'm not that big of an Andy Reid fan, but he's had a lot of success in the NFL. And I'm not that big of an Alex Smith fan, but he's definitely better than Matt Cassel and Brady Quinn.

Meh, Brady Quinn yes......Cassel I dont think so, If Cassel started from day 1 he likely has better production or as much production as Smith and Minnesota probably makes alot more noise in that division , His problem has seemed to have always been health in my opinion, Minnesota would have been much more competitive given the talent they have in a division where there has not been any team head and shoulders better then the other teams in that division, As it stands Minnesota went to the playoffs with Ponder just last year at 10-6 and basically all that was asked of Ponder was not to lose the game, he did not have to go out and carry the team

Meh, Brady Quinn yes......Cassel I dont think so, If Cassel started from day 1 he likely has better production or as much production as Smith and Minnesota probably makes alot more noise in that division , His problem has seemed to have always been health in my opinion, Minnesota would have been much more competitive given the talent they have in a division where there has not been any team head and shoulders better then the other teams in that division, As it stands Minnesota went to the playoffs with Ponder just last year at 10-6 and basically all that was asked of Ponder was not to lose the game, he did not have to go out and carry the team

We've seen a lot of Matt Cassel in a lot of different situations. I don't dislike him, and if you're in a pinch and have to use him as your starter for a long time, with good coaching,  he'll be fine. But I think Alex Smith is easily better. Easily. Cassel has his good days, and Smith has his bad days, but overall body of work, it's Alex Smith.