Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Interior O-linemen

Indygal1218

I don't keep up with college football, but I know many here do. I probably won't pay any attention to upcoming draft prospects until the senior bowl.

Does anyone have their eyes on O-line prospects for the next draft? I'm just curious about which players forum members think would fit our situation.

Notice I said interior, not tackles. Of course, if you feel the need, then by all means, throw some tackles in there.

I don't keep up with college football, but I know many here do. I probably won't pay any attention to upcoming draft prospects until the senior bowl.

Does anyone have their eyes on O-line prospects for the next draft? I'm just curious about which players forum members think would fit our situation.

Notice I said interior, not tackles. Of course, if you feel the need, then by all means, throw some tackles in there.

I think we need to get them in FA and draft D

I guess we need a center. I think we'll be fine at guard, assuming Thomas comes back healthy. But Khaled Holmes is evidently never going to play this season. He was active on Sunday, and we went with Nixon at guard when Reitz got hurt. I doubt we give Holmes the job next year, if he hasn't done anything yet.

I guess we need a center. I think we'll be fine at guard, assuming Thomas comes back healthy. But Khaled Holmes is evidently never going to play this season. He was active on Sunday, and we went with Nixon at guard when Reitz got hurt. I doubt we give Holmes the job next year, if he hasn't done anything yet.

Yeah, that's pretty telling.  We went with a guy who we just signed, who apparently never even played or PRACTICED at G - over a guy who's been on the team since August and has played interior line his entire career.

That tells me all I need to know about Holmes. 

Yeah, that's pretty telling. We went with a guy who we just signed, who apparently never even played or PRACTICED at G - over a guy who's been on the team since August and has played interior line his entire career.

That tells me all I need to know about Holmes.

I knew all I needed to about Holmes when we started a guy with a broken thumb over him at center. There has to be almost 0 confidence there.

I'd still like a guard cause Thorton is still developing and Thomas has had two season ending injuries id hate to rely on that and him get hurt again and were back in the same spot we are now :(

Maybe we could not get Asamoah and go after Saffold for less?

People need to get the Alex Mack idea out of their heads. Cleveland wont let him walk.

I agree and I don't want them spending 8-9 million a yr. on a center. I know it's not a popular opinion, but I would be fine with keeping McGlynn as our future center and signing a good guard. McGlynn IMO is a fine center, he's not great but if it came down to having him play center or signing a high priced FA center, I'll take McGlynn.

I agree and I don't want them spending 8-9 million a yr. on a center. I know it's not a popular opinion, but I would be fine with keeping McGlynn as our future center and signing a good guard. McGlynn IMO is a fine center, he's not great but if it came down to having him play center or signing a a high priced FA center, I'll take McGlynn.

There is NO DOUBT whatsoever that McGlynn does an exceptional job at line calls.  Maybe that comes from playing another position, or as Grigson has said in the past..."McGlynn is a leader." (Leader in allowing sacks  :lol:) OK...that was not nice...but seriously you do not see as many...or I cannot remember any 'whiff' blocks with McGlynn at center....Nixon maybe one on Sunday?

This is the 10th time I have said this, but get Reitz to the LG and Thornton to the right.  Players tend to get injured...out of position...see Reitz...RG on Sunday.

There is NO DOUBT whatsoever that McGlynn does an exceptional job at line calls.  Maybe that comes from playing another position, or as Grigson has said in the past..."McGlynn is a leader." (Leader in allowing sacks  :lol:) OK...that was not nice...but seriously you do not see as many...or I cannot remember any 'whiff' blocks with McGlynn at center....Nixon maybe one on Sunday?

This is the 10th time I have said this, but get Reitz to the LG and Thornton to the right.  Players tend to get injured...out of position...see Reitz...RG on Sunday.

I agree. McGlynn all of a sudden becomes a pretty good lineman when playing center as opposed to guard. I also agree that Thornton should be on the right side too. He's more suited to the strong side than he is LG and Reitz is more suited for LG.

I agree. McGlynn all of a sudden becomes a pretty good lineman when playing center as opposed to guard. I also agree that Thornton should be on the right side too. He's more suited to the strong side than he is LG and Reitz is more suited for LG.

I honestly think Reitz/Castonzo  Thornton/Cherilus is the best line we have...and have Link backing them up.....It would not hurt to find another lineman...Nixon is not a guard for sure, but he sure played hard.

I honestly think Reitz/Castonzo Thornton/Cherilus is the best line we have...and have Link backing them up.....It would not hurt to find another lineman...Nixon is not a guard for sure, but he sure played hard.

It is without a doubt the best line the Colts have. The problem is Reitz has had a bit of a "Glass Joe" issue he cant seem to shake. Reitz is an RFA this year and I can see us tendering him as a backup to Thomas next year, but the issue of depth starts to rear its head if both go down.

Solid center play like McGlynn gives when he is there fixes so much about our O line. The big problem is, he is a FA next year, and Holmes isnt the guy, so where do you go?

It is without a doubt the best line the Colts have. The problem is Reitz has had a bit of a "Glass Joe" issue he cant seem to shake. Reitz is an RFA this year and I can see us tendering him as a backup to Thomas next year, but the issue of depth starts to rear its head if both go down.

Solid center play like McGlynn gives when he is there fixes so much about our O line. The big problem is, he is a FA next year, and Holmes isnt the guy, so where do you go?

Put it this way....if Satele starts Sunday in KC....see how many times Luck goes down against a darned good defense.  Center is a need.  I did not care for the Holmes draft pick when it happened...still don't.  He must be awful :)

I have always felt you play a player where he is comfortable.  I would like to see the play where Reitz was concussed to see if he was out of position.  He needs to be on the left.  Maybe the glass won't break...:)

Physically Thornton can play either Guard position, He can get to the 2nd level. He is quick enough to pull and he has enough strength to drive block,  He struggles with his hand placement and getting to high in pass blocking, He has the tools but he has grasp the mental aspect of being an O Lineman (Learning to pick up Stunts for example....needs alot of practice at that)

For centers, I like Larson from Utah State and Bryan Stork from FSU.  Both could be there when the Colts pick in the 2nd round, although if Stork has a good off season, with winning the Rimington that may push him up to early to mid 2nd. 

Both have the strength, intelligence and footwork to start as rookies.

Physically Thornton can play either Guard position, He can get to the 2nd level. He is quick enough to pull and he has enough strength to drive block,  He struggles with his hand placement and getting to high in pass blocking, He has the tools but he has grasp the mental aspect of being an O Lineman (Learning to pick up Stunts for example....needs alot of practice at that)

More comfortable on the right.

He looked much better with McGlynn making the line calls....both picking up stunts and even pulling.  I would love to see him in his natural position (RG) pulling to the left....He, Reitz and AC make a pretty big train out there.  :)

Put it this way....if Satele starts Sunday in KC....see how many times Luck goes down against a darned good defense.  Center is a need.  I did not care for the Holmes draft pick when it happened...still don't.  He must be awful :)

I have always felt you play a player where he is comfortable.  I would like to see the play where Reitz was concussed to see if he was out of position.  He needs to be on the left.  Maybe the glass won't break... :)

I didn't like the Holmes pick either. Thought he was soft and not the type of O-lineman that Pagano and Grigson envisioned for us. That's why I didn't understand when they picked him. The fact that they won't even give him a chance is not a good sign for him at all. Maybe he's not the guy they thought he was, but I don't know why. All they had to do was watch his tape from USC and they should have seen that he was not very strong and was easily pushed around. He would fit much better in a ZBS, but even then, he might not be much more than a decent backup.

For centers, I like Larson from Utah State and Bryan Stork from FSU.  Both could be there when the Colts pick in the 2nd round, although if Stork has a good off season, with winning the Rimington that may push him up to early to mid 2nd. 

Both have the strength, intelligence and footwork to start as rookies.

Excellent choices....with the draft history in the NFL, centers do not usually go real high even if a Rimington winner.  Do you think these 2 will go that high? AQ  Shipley and Jake Fitzpatrick were both Rimington winners in 2008 and 2010.  Shipley was drafted in the 7th Round and Fitzpatrick a UFA.  Just a couple of examples.

Excellent choices....with the draft history in the NFL, centers do not usually go real high even if a Rimington winner.  Do you think these 2 will go that high? AQ  Shipley and Jake Fitzpatrick were both Rimington winners in 2008 and 2010.  Shipley was drafted in the 7th Round and Fitzpatrick a UFA.  Just a couple of examples.

I think Stork could go, like I said early to mid 2nd, not because of the Rimington but he is one of the most physically gifted interior line I've seen since Rodney Hudson.  And unlike Hudson there is no size and strength concern.

Larson I could see going in the 3rd round, maybe even the 4th.

I didn't like the Holmes pick either. Thought he was soft and not the type of O-lineman that Pagano and Grigson envisioned for us. That's why I didn't understand when they picked him. The fact that they won't even give him a chance is not a good sign for him at all. Maybe he's not the guy they thought he was, but I don't know why. All they had to do was watch his tape from USC and they should have seen that he was not very strong and was easily pushed around. He would fit much better in a ZBS, but even then, he might not be much more than a decent backup.

didn't like him either. I thought we should have drafted Brian Schwenke  who was drafted in the 4th round by Tennessee. at least then we would have had a starting center over Satelle lol.

McShat/Scouts Inc

Cyril Richardson OG 6'4½" 335 Baylor 87 1 31

Gabe Jackson OG 6'3¼" 333 Mississippi State 85 2 42

David Yankey OG 6'5" 311 Stanford 80 3 62

Chris Watt OG 6'2⅞" 318 Notre Dame 69 4 100

Anthony Steen OG 6'0" 309 Alabama 54 5 152

Kadeem Edwards OG 6'4½" 316 Tennessee State 50 6 164

Zach Fulton OG 6'4½" 324 Tennessee 48 7 173

Jon Halapio OG 6'3⅞" 323 Florida 42 8 194

Brandon Linder OG 6'5⅞" 316 Miami (FL) 39 9 203

Ryan Groy OG 6'4¾" 315 Wisconsin 37 10 210

Spencer Long OG 6'4⅝" 316 Nebraska 30 11

Travis Swanson OC 6'4¼" 304 Arkansas 61 1 126

Jonotthan Harrison OC 6'3⅞" 304 Florida 54 2 151

Bryan Stork OC 6'4⅝" 311 Florida State 52 3 157

Weston Richburg OC 6'3½" 300 Colorado State 50 4 163

James Stone OC 6'3" 293 Tennessee 46 5 181

Gabe Ikard OC 6'3¼" 294 Oklahoma 41 6 198

Tyler Larsen OC 6'3½" 312 Utah State 35 7 215

Gus Handler OC 6'2⅞" 285 Colorado 30 8

Corey Linsley OC 6'3¼" 299 Ohio State 30 9

didn't like him either. I thought we should have drafted Brian Schwenke  who was drafted in the 4th round by Tennessee. at least then we would have had a starting center over Satelle lol.

I agree, I really liked Schwenke and was hoping we would get him.

didn't like him either. I thought we should have drafted Brian Schwenke who was drafted in the 4th round by Tennessee. at least then we would have had a starting center over Satelle lol.

^This.^

I was praying with every fiber of my being for the Colts to pick Schwenke. Needless to say, I was sorely disappointed. :(

I doubt we draft any o-linemen with so many holes on the defense. Were gonna need a ILB, FS, and CB in the draft. Mcglynn has played better then Satele at C but don't kid yourselves, he is not the long term answer. Signing Alex Mack for 8 mil is the best way to go. As bad as the Browns QB situation is they seem to have a ton of time to step up in the pocket and throw deep patterns to Josh Gordon. Mack is a top 3 C we need him more then any other position. 

We can resign Reitz, Mcglynn, and still have Holmes but those guys are nothing more then career backups. Castonzo/Thomas/Mack/Thornton/Cherilus would be a top 5 offensive line. Luck would have all day to throw to Rogers,Hilton,Fleener, Allen, Brazil, Whalen and Wayne. 

I think we should be good on T and OG. With Yhomas coming back and a year under Thortons belt I think we're good. We could use a major upgrade at the C position thought.

Like to keep working on the D in the draft.

Not sure I have too much faith in Thomas staying healthy....the guys has had two season ending injuries in a mere 23 starts.