Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brazill or Whalen

Caleb3502

Who's the better player?  Both are wide receivers and both are punt returners.  Both have not had enough time to show what they can do, but have both shown very good performances.  If you could choose which one gets more playing time, who would you pick?  A lot of people would probably say Brazill, but Whalen has not been given enough playing time to prove he can play. 

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brazill 2013 Stats: 8 Games,  11 catches, 150 yards, 2 TDs,  2 KO Returns for 36 yards, 3 PR for 25 Yards

Whalen 2013 Stats: 7 Games, 13 catches, 147 Yards, 1 TD, 1 KO Return for 22 Yards, 3 PR for 67 Yards

Last week was really Brazill's only game of getting serious playing time, maybe he got a couple others, but not a whole lot

I know but I don't give they gave Whalen a lot of time either, maybe he wasn't performing well enough, but nowhere near DHB.   

Whalen has been up and down from the practice squad and when on the team has not had awhole lot of time in the games. to me their both performing about the same. I don't care who gets the ball honestly as long as they make big plays. Brazill and Rogers had a big game in cinci, and Whalen did sunday against Houston. Whalen needs to stay on the roster imo.

Whalen is a WR I would not want the colts risk losing to another team. IMO he could be the next Welker. you could line him up anywhere and 9 out of 10 times could come up with the big catch for a first down when you need it the most. now in no way am I saying brazill couldn't do the same, but how many teams could actually say they can go to ANY receiver for that big play?? next year with a receiver group of Wayne, Hilton, Rogers, Brazill and Whalen could make for a very good group.

Brazill 2013 Stats: 8 Games,  11 catches, 150 yards, 2 TDs,  2 KO Returns for 36 yards, 3 PR for 25 Yards

Whalen 2013 Stats: 7 Games, 13 catches, 147 Yards, 1 TD, 1 KO Return for 22 Yards, 3 PR for 67 Yards

Pretty even, but Whalen has it IMO, but only because Ive watched every snap he's had and know that he could have had much bigger numbers if Luck paid attention.  However, i havent looked at every snap Brazill has had.

Brazil is faster but Whalen is the better wr. Whalen is a natural slot wr and is the best route runner on the team, he just has a knack of getting open. Brazil should still see some snaps as a outside wr but Whalen should be the starting slot wr for the rest of the season. The reason Kareem Jackson was so far away on that TD because of Whalen's great route running and agility. Also the play on the left where Luck overthrew him he was wide open, would have been a 30 yard gain. When a DB is that far away from you that tells you everything about his route running ability.

Its pretty close I think, Griff is faster then what people give him credit for and is much closer to Brazills speed, Griff showed a better vertical at his pro day according to draft scout, I also think he is a bit stronger(also according to Draft Scout), Also Whalen appears to be an affective punt returner, There is also the question of if Brazill can be relied on to keep himself out of trouble in the offseason, I'd have to go with Whalen but Brazill has potential to of course....Although Whalens been injured two years in a row now....so waiting to see the extent of this injury.....unless that info came out and I just have not seen it yet

Its pretty close I think, Griff is faster then what people give him credit for and is much closer to Brazills speed, Griff showed a better vertical at his pro day according to draft scout, I also think he is a bit stronger(also according to Draft Scout), Also Whalen appears to be an affective punt returner, There is also the question of if Brazill can be relied on to keep himself out of trouble in the offseason, I'd have to go with Whalen but Brazill has potential to of course....Although Whalens been injured two years in a row now....so waiting to see the extent of this injury.....unless that info came out and I just have not seen it yet

He's alright. It was just a strained calf I saw it on the Whalen thread.

I hope that they allow him to start though. If they cut him again I will lose some faith in Grigson. I think he earned his spot last week. I still see that Miami play he was wide open in my head and think we could be in the driver's seat for the bye. And also think maybe those slow starts would not have been so bad.

He should start at slot for us from now on. He's the best natural slot guy we've had since Collie. I think he can help open things up on the outside more. No he may not be the best WR ever, but I personally believe he is the missing piece to our puzzle because of his route running, hands, agility, and ability to get open are great. He is really undervalued around here. Hooefully the FO and coaches value him like they should now. He has all that talent I mentioned and the best connection with Luck on the team. He is a diamond in the rough and needs to start.

Brazil is good but he is better as a 4th and a back up on the outside because Griff is better all around suited for the slot and can go outside when needed as evidenced by his first touchdown.

Brazil is faster but Whalen is the better wr. Whalen is a natural slot wr and is the best route runner on the team, he just has a knack of getting open. Brazil should still see some snaps as a outside wr but Whalen should be the starting slot wr for the rest of the season. The reason Kareem Jackson was so far away on that TD because of Whalen's great route running and agility. Also the play on the left where Luck overthrew him he was wide open, would have been a 30 yard gain. When a DB is that far away from you that tells you everything about his route running ability.

or the corner is a bum or the coverage had a breakdown or the db slipped

Who's the better player?  Both are wide receivers and both are punt returners.  Both have not had enough time to show what they can do, but have both shown very good performances.  If you could choose which one gets more playing time, who would you pick?  A lot of people would probably say Brazill, but Whalen has not been given enough playing time to prove he can play. 

False choice.....we need them both

Brazill by far.

LaVon Brazill by a longshot imo

Brazill, and it's not even close.

It's pretty close.

Put Brazil and Rogers as the number 1 or 2 wideout while putting Whalen at slot the Colts could score on anybody! Brazil is the better route runner and better receiver to me at the moment, but Whalen has potential to be the next Collie type or Strokley/ Welker type player if given the playing time and opportunity. Brazil does not get the credit he deserves for his route running, but if u pay attention more to gms. You will see that he is hard to cover he to me has the style like Reggie well if he given more chances could take the role of Reggie Wayne. Understand that that Bengals/Colts game was his first time being a number 1 or 2 wideout and he delivered. If I was the Colts I would start Brazil/Rogers as the 2 wideouts and Whalen at slot, Fleener at Tightend. DBH I would use as a running back even tho he do not have good hands catching I believe he holds on better being a running back. I would use him on screens, reversals, and slant routes that's his strengths and handoffs because he's fast see they want he to make plays when he catches the ball, but he has bad hands so what u do then? You hand him the ball like a runner and let him do is thang. Colts staff just need to understand there young players skill sets more and they be alright is a lot u could do with DBH if Andy Reid had DBH im for sure!! He would be a weopon coming from the backfield.

Put Brazil and Rogers as the number 1 or 2 wideout while putting Whalen at slot the Colts could score on anybody! Brazil is the better route runner and better receiver to me at the moment, but Whalen has potential to be the next Collie type or Strokley/ Welker type player if given the playing time and opportunity. Brazil does not get the credit he deserves for his route running, but if u pay attention more to gms. You will see that he is hard to cover he to me has the style like Reggie well if he given more chances could take the role of Reggie Wayne. Understand that that Bengals/Colts game was his first time being a number 1 or 2 wideout and he delivered. If I was the Colts I would start Brazil/Rogers as the 2 wideouts and Whalen at slot, Fleener at Tightend. DBH I would use as a running back even tho he do not have good hands catching I believe he holds on better being a running back. I would use him on screens, reversals, and slant routes that's his strengths and handoffs because he's fast see they want he to make plays when he catches the ball, but he has bad hands so what u do then? You hand him the ball like a runner and let him do is thang. Colts staff just need to understand there young players skill sets more and they be alright is a lot u could do with DBH if Andy Reid had DBH im for sure!! He would be a weopon coming from the backfield.

What about TY?  He's not that bad to not be included. 

It's not even a debate and never has been to me, when i watched tape of both based on route running ability alone i knew Whalen was the better wr. Whalen is a mix between Collie and Welker the way he plays and his size, Welker is just a little faster. Brazil is a good 4th wr on the depth chart nothing more.