Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Love this Pep offense/We're bad (Official blame thread) (MEGAMERGE)

dw49

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, November 25, 2013 - duplicate
Hidden by Nadine, November 25, 2013 - duplicate

The Colts don't look inept or stupid or a team without talent but it looks like they are not reved up. Go back before yesterdays four quarters of looking flat and you see two quarters of Dr. Jekyll followed by two quarters of Mr. Hyde. This does not work and to me it is a coaching thing. They lie down for the first half then go in to the locker room and come and win the game. That is a motivation problem. Why do young professionals in the most intense game of all read the funny papers for the first half them come out with both barrels in the second half? If and I  say "if" this is the problem then what is the staff doing to fire the guys up for four quarters. If it is talent then why did they come back in previous games to pull out a win? It is one thing for this split personality to happen for one game but for it to be their "style" means there is a serious problem. Yesterday's game was very hard to watch and Pagano of all people going through what he did should have no problem being a motivator. It cannot be the game plan or the offensive coordinator or can it?

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, November 25, 2013 - duplicate
Hidden by Nadine, November 25, 2013 - duplicate

The Colts don't look inept or stupid or a team without talent but it looks like they are not reved up. Go back before yesterdays four quarters of looking flat and you see two quarters of Dr. Jekyll followed by two quarters of Mr. Hyde. This does not work and to me it is a coaching thing. They lie down for the first half then go in to the locker room and come and win the game. That is a motivation problem. Why do young professionals in the most intense game of all read the funny papers for the first half them come out with both barrels in the second half? If and I  say "if" this is the problem then what is the staff doing to fire the guys up for four quarters. If it is talent then why did they come back in previous games to pull out a win? It is one thing for this split personality to happen for one game but for it to be their "style" means there is a serious problem. Yesterday's game was very hard to watch and Pagano of all people going through what he did should have no problem being a motivator. It cannot be the game plan or the offensive coordinator or can it?

The ultimate factor is not a lack of effort or motivation. It is a lack of playmakers on both sides of the ball. The losses on offense have started to show and Mathis needs help. The loss of Toler is huge on defense and Walden abscense was fealt yesterday too.

I acknowledge there are players out injured but in the NFL but often starters are players that have in the past stepped up to fill a position. They suit up to play when called upon. Motivation with talent is what gets players starting jobs and the whole team looks flat. I just saw Pagano's press conference after the game and the last thing he is appears to be is teed off and he should be very teed off. This is not a team who's goal was to win the conference but the to get to the SB and while we may do one we are not going to do both. I hate to say it but yesterday we looked as bad as the Houston Texans and that is bad.

Pep's play calling has left a lot to be desired. I think most of us have pointed this out since Game 1 against the Raiders. Sure it worked to perfection against the 49ers, but it appears that game was more an aberration than anything. This team needs Luck to have the ball in his hands. There also needs to be more QUICK routes than there currently are. Quick routes across the middle that Luck can utilize when no one else is open. The middle of the field right past the LOS is never utilized by this offense and would make Luck's job much easier.

Also, enough already with the power run game. This OL simply can't do it. Like others have said already in this thread, throw to set up the run. Not vice versa. Going three and out on the first two to three drives and getting down 14+ points cannot continue to happen. Come out in the no huddle and get the lead right out of the game and dictate the game.

The loss of one man cannot mean the loss of the season. Unless that man is Peyton of course...

agreed, but then again, I don't think that the season is lost... 

However... the team is different when they have that reliable guy that is always open and always makes the tough catch... It affects everything from the QB's confidence to Pep's play calling...  The other injuries have hurt as well.. I don't need to name them, but our offense has essentially been gutted...

I agree, you can't have those quality type of wins and be a fluke. What Colt fans need to concentrate on is winning the division , and getting the best seed you can for the playoffs. If you get into the dance, you have a chance, and maybe you get some injured guys back, get hot, and get some decent match ups. What is don't quite understand about the Colts is not the losses, but the blowouts and slow starts. That would concern me in the playoffs. I think the Colts problems are lack of depth and coaching. The lack of depth is showing up now with the injuries, and unfortunately I think Ariens is the better coach, although under the circumstances with Pagano last year, what could you do ? Luck helped you get Luck, but you may have drawn a bad hand in the coaching situation. Chuck is a great defensive coach, but I'm not sold on him as a HC yet.

I like Chuck as HC, but the OC position should have gone to someone who wasn't going to treat Luck like he was still a sophomore in college behind a dominant OL. Every time Luck is in the hurry up offense he looks far more comfortable and makes great throws. This slow, plodding, power run offense is not only hurting Luck but it is hurting the team. The defense has been terrible the last few games, but it would certainly help if the offense could stay on the field and not be 3 and out for the first 3 out of 4 drives to open up the game. Pep doesn't seem to understand what this offense's strength is (Luck) and what its weaknesses are (OL and RB). He thinks he is still calling plays for a Stanford team with a dominant OL. This is more than a little concerning.

Maybe Pep is being influenced by Pagano in his decision-making, but when he is the OC, and Pagano isn't an offensive-minded coach, I tend to look at Pep being responsible.

“…play to our strength on offense.”

What strengths on this offense do you see? O-line run blocking? O-line pass blocking? WRs? RBs? Colts have very little strengths and that strengths don’t cooperate with each other. For example, go-route is Hilton’s strength. It’s a pity pass blocking more than 2 seconds is not Colts’ O-line strength. Richardson is a power in-between tackles back with little burst. It’s a shame, that our weakest o-linemen are C and G. DHB’s strength is his speed, but he can’t catch a football over his shoulder to save his life. Well, you get the idea.

“…let the star QB turn mediocre targets into stars.”

Luck is not a star. Not yet. Even Manning can’t turn mediocre targets into stars. He can turn bad target (Blair White) into mediocre target ONLY with help from the other targets (Wayne, Garcon). Luck doesn’t have ANY help from other targets.

“…turn up the speed in the second half.”

Don’t fool yourself, that comeback attempts are not about Luck, they are about prevent defenses Luck faces in second halves and conservative, mistake-free (i.e. low scoring) offenses run by opposing teams in second halves. Sometimes that prevent defense prevents opposing team from winning. Not the case with STL and ARI.

Without their own playmakers (Wayne, Allen) Colts have to shut down opposing playmakers to have a chance to win. And when Colts can’t shut down opposing playmakers (Vaughn, Angerer against Fitzgerald, Floyd, Ellington) they are in trouble.

Too much logic here to bear :-)

It isn't Pep. Its the simple fact that there is no one left on the offensive side of the ball. Simple.

Also when did Reggie start playing Defense?  Since his injury this D looks like a highschool division 2a D.

Too much logic here to bear :-)

It isn't Pep. Its the simple fact that there is no one left on the offensive side of the ball. Simple.

Also when did Reggie start playing Defense?  Since his injury this D looks like a highschool division 2a D.

Your right of course,

We don't have players on the bench who were never given a chance to succeed. Everyone on the bench must be worse than the starters.

/sarcasm-off

Pep has ZERO imagination. A few reverses and a few flea flickers are his "brilliant" ideas. Pssshhh.

He takes 2 to 3 quarters to figure out what's going on and leads us into a chasm for us to dig out of constantly. He can't make ANY real time adjustments!! 

It's mind boggling how he thinks all players are the same and they should just "fit" into his system. He refuses to run Richardson anywhere but up the middle.....into complete failure. 

Also, I don't know if Pep is either dumb/unaware. or if it even makes a difference, but he never covers his mouth when he reads off plays. Ugh. 

Your right of course,

We don't have players on the bench who were never given a chance to succeed. Everyone on the bench must be worse than the starters.

/sarcasm-off

Huh?  Not sure what this comment was for...  Who is on the bench that will make a huge impact on the offense?  I don't see any all star receivers, all pro gaurds and centers...  I'm just not sure what the sarcastic comment was for...

Huh?  Not sure what this comment was for...  Who is on the bench that will make a huge impact on the offense?  I don't see any all star receivers, all pro gaurds and centers...  I'm just not sure what the sarcastic comment was for...

Anyone. It's obvious some of the starters / active players are performing badly. For Example, does anyone really think that David Reed being on the active gameday roster over Rogers or even Rainey is an improvement and gives us a better chance to win?

Worst case scenario it's a wash. We need to at least try to spark a flailing offense, sending out the same players week after week and not getting the job done is mind boggling. It's like dumping your paycheck in the same rigged carnival game every week, We need to make some changes with the personnel, and if the coaches can't see that then we need to make some changes there too.

Pep's play calling has left a lot to be desired. I think most of us have pointed this out since Game 1 against the Raiders. Sure it worked to perfection against the 49ers, but it appears that game was more an aberration than anything.

The 49er game may have been the worst thing to happen to this team.  It was fool's gold, and afterward they believed they could pull it off against anyone. 

Anyone. It's obvious some of the starters / active players are performing badly. For Example, does anyone really think that David Reed being on the active gameday roster over Rogers or even Rainey is an improvement and gives us a better chance to win?

Worst case scenario it's a wash. We need to at least try to spark a flailing offense, sending out the same players week after week and not getting the job done is mind boggling. It's like dumping your paycheck in the same rigged carnival game every week, We need to make some changes with the personnel, and if the coaches can't see that then we need to make some changes there too.

Ahhh Ok now I see what you are saying.. But still why the sarcasm? lol  I completely agree with you that we should try, but the comment I quoted was in reference to what was happening on the field currently.  And it is painfully obvious that currently there are no playmakers.  Now I will say this, No I don't see anyone on the bench that could make a difference but the fact that Reed is still out there Urks me to no end. I do think that at least Rainey has proven he can catch a ball something Reed still struggles to do without letting it one hop.

The 49er game may have been the worst thing to happen to this team.  It was fool's gold, and afterward they believed they could pull it off against anyone. 

If our OL played as well as they did in the San Fran game then the colts would be able to pull it off against anyone.

I absolutely promise you we have the worst coaching staff in the NFL hands down. And Grigson has made some horrible roster moves.

Bad Drafts + Bad Trades + Terrible Coaches = upcoming years of horrible Colts teams ahead of us

WOW  the sky is falling for you huh ?

This thread is a joke so much whine & no cheese .

What is this the kiddie hour ?

Lol, some highlights/lowlights from this thread:

- Fire Pep

- The Colts are going to be lucky to win another game

- Bjoern Werner is a bust

- TY Hilton is definitely not a #1

- Manusky needs to go

- Pagano is horrible

- *Maybe the best one* Start Da'Rick Rogers

- Playing Rogers or replacing our interior lineman will definitely make things better

- Should have kept Bruce (even though he was offered a job and took it)

That's a lot of knee jerk reactions, some of which are really laughable. The Colts haven't been great lately, but when you're in the playoffs (which the Colts will most likely be in), anything can happen and the Colts have gone through terrible stretches before. Look at 2010 with Manning having 12 picks in 3 games. The Colts will start getting some guys back and then you'll see some changes. Oh and btw, the Cardinals in Arizona are not an inferior team.

I acknowledge there are players out injured but in the NFL but often starters are players that have in the past stepped up to fill a position. They suit up to play when called upon. Motivation with talent is what gets players starting jobs and the whole team looks flat. I just saw Pagano's press conference after the game and the last thing he is appears to be is teed off and he should be very teed off. This is not a team who's goal was to win the conference but the to get to the SB and while we may do one we are not going to do both. I hate to say it but yesterday we looked as bad as the Houston Texans and that is bad.

Yeah, Pagano just looks bewildered and lost...he has no answers.

Maybe Pep can help him out by tinkering some more with the running game.

Hi colts fans cardinal season ticket holder here.

I felt weeks before the game matched up better against the colts then most of the teams we played lately.

You seem to have a small defense which doesn't pose as much problem for our terrible online.

You have very few weapons around an amazing young QB

The cards are peaking and this game was the perfect storm for us. We have a great defense and finally a better offense.

Watch out for the cards that was the biggest butt whopping I have seen in our stadium for a long time.

My first choice for OC was promoting Clyde Christensen keep a guy in house that's been around Luck in the NFL and was with Manning/Caldwell/Tom Moore/Arians and knows/seen what a good offense looks like and called plays at this level consistently for years. I always liked his offensive game and play calling. But I also agreed with hiring Pep just because of the familiarity with Luck. Other than that I was Clyde Christensen all the way.

But I have faith Pep with figure this thing out and get us off to faster starts and putting us in better positions to be successful.

Hell, a diehard fan praises the team when it plays well and is hard on the team when it loses.  Especially if the loss is due to poor play.  Yet this diehard fan remains a fan and watches the next game hoping for a win. 

I don't know if you're agreeing or disagreeing with me. My response was to a post  that die hard fans shouldn't criticize their team's game performance which I was disagreeing with.

Such a sad case....the guy actually tries hard....gives good effort.

His confidence level must be low by now...probably second-guesses every catch, which makes it worse.

I wonder if Reggie can ultimately change him.

no

The guy is worthless and always will be

Yeah, Pagano just looks bewildered and lost...he has no answers.

Maybe Pep can help him out by tinkering some more with the running game.

or maybe we can bring in Leon Sandcastle he has all the answers .

or maybe we can bring in Tim Tebow as a RB with our offensive line we need some devine intervention .

The loss of one man cannot mean the loss of the season. Unless that man is Peyton of course...

It's not just the loss of one man.  It's (a) the loss of a potential HOF'er, (b) the loss of your QBs safety valve, and © the loss of one of your biggest team leaders.  And that's not even to mention the other crucial losses we've had on offense.  Losing Ballard and Bradshaw is no easy replacement.  The loss of Donald Thomas is, in my opinion, the most underrated loss on offense.

The situation is akin to when the Ravens lost Ray Lewis.  It's just not the same without him.  They struggled mightily without him, and once he came back on the roster, they made a superbowl run and in fact won.  It's not just as simple as replacing the production lost. 

I'm not saying that we should be complacent with losing because of all our injuries by any means.  That's a defeatist attitude that would damn any team.  But at the same token, when you take out one of the most important cogs, the machine (really, no pun intended) doesn't run as smoothly. 

Lol, some highlights/lowlights from this thread:

- Fire Pep

- The Colts are going to be lucky to win another game

- Bjoern Werner is a bust

- TY Hilton is definitely not a #1

- Manusky needs to go

- Pagano is horrible

- *Maybe the best one* Start Da'Rick Rogers

- Playing Rogers or replacing our interior lineman will definitely make things better

- Should have kept Bruce (even though he was offered a job and took it)

That's a lot of knee jerk reactions, some of which are really laughable. The Colts haven't been great lately, but when you're in the playoffs (which the Colts will most likely be in), anything can happen and the Colts have gone through terrible stretches before. Look at 2010 with Manning having 12 picks in 3 games. The Colts will start getting some guys back and then you'll see some changes. Oh and btw, the Cardinals in Arizona are not an inferior team.

From Matt Greco , who does the stats on Colt Stampede . He's really a pretty smart guy . I was going to respond to the above and part of it was that IMO , Pep was being out coached by better or mare experienced NFL coaches. My contention is that you just don't disintegrate because you lose a 34 year old WR. Anyway , here what MG had to say in his summary of the AZ game.

"There is more than enough evidence that the Colts Offense has been figured out by the NFL's Defensive Coordinators, and it looks like it took them less than half a season. The only week where they've played well since Week 5 was when their opponents had a short week. Teams don't go from five consecutive weeks with Offensive games in the top 20% overall in the league to (almost) every game being in the bottom half of the league, and some in the bottom 10% (one of those was with Reggie Wayne, mind you). This isn't college where there is a giant talent disparity between the have's and the have not's. You have to continually mold your offense, continue to change it, or else you'll see results like we've seen with the Colts the past six or seven weeks."