Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2.63%...

Dustin

......is Coby Fleeners drop percentage this year. The only TE in the league who has lower is Tony Gonzalez.

can we stop with this nonsense that he drops tons of passes now?

It's the same reason why I can't take most people's comments about Trent Richardson serious yet.  Everyone expects a guy to come in and immediately start performing.  And when he doesn't, he's a bust.  Just this preseason, many were labeling Fleener a bust.  Some guys need a little more time than others.

The Saints do it with Jimmy Graham so why not.

I didn't watch the colts consistently back at this time but I know they used to do it with Dallas Clark as well.

If we get a legit #2 in the off season this year then Fleener will be much better as a receiver then anyone we would have as a WR #4.

Unless they do what I want them to and sign a WR in FA and draft one high.  (with the anticipation that we only have Wayne for one more year.)

Its the obvious move. Line up in a 2 TE set with Fleener and Allen, defense moves up to stop the run, motion Fleener out to the slot. Suddenly matchup problems everywhere.

Its still reliant on establishing the run first, however, but I think its a good natural evolution of Pep's offense because of that.

It's the same reason why I can't take most people's comments about Trent Richardson serious yet.  Everyone expects a guy to come in and immediately start performing.  And when he doesn't, he's a bust.  Just this preseason, many were labeling Fleener a bust.  Some guys need a little more time than others.

I've been in the Richardson corner all year but I'm starting to waver a bit. I really think much of it is in TR's head but there is no doubt Brown is running the ball better. There were a couple runs by TR including a sweep in the first half for 3 yards that were really his fault, Brown on the other hand is quickly hitting the whole and running with conviction. 

IMO , it's like a golfer that doesn't trust his swing . Just hope he gets it together before the years's over.

what is drop percentage and who keeps it?

Drop percentage is a basic application of the drops stat. Essentially, take the amount a reciever was targeted, remove uncatchable balls, then take the percentage of drops/catchable targets. Voila, drop percantage.

Using it, you can determine how bad a reciever is at dropping the ball. Coby Fleener only drops the ball 2% of the times he is targeted, which places him as one of the most sure handed tight ends in the NFL.

I've been in the Richardson corner all year but I'm starting to waver a bit. I really think much of it is in TR's head but there is no doubt Brown is running the ball better. There were a couple runs by TR including a sweep in the first half for 3 yards that were really his fault, Brown on the other hand is quickly hitting the whole and running with conviction. 

IMO , it's like a golfer that doesn't trust his swing . Just hope he gets it together before the years's over.

It's possible that part of it's in his head, and my opinion on that is that a lot of it has to do with him still gaining familiarity with our offense.  People often blame his vision, and while that is partially accurate, it's also somewhat inaccurate.  He's learning a new playbook and all it's nuances (which is always different from one team to the next), he's workign with a new OL.  So he's going to hesitate with his reads and it makes his field vision look bad.  Then you throw in bad blocking from time to time, and it's no wonder he looks like a deer in headlights at times.  I mean look at Ray Rice this year.  He has always been heralded as a back with great field vision.  He has virtually the same OL at the beginning of the season, and struggled mightily, even before the McKinnie trade and his hip injury.  Did he all the sudden lose all his attributes as a running back?  Of course not.  But productivity of any RB cna change when an OC begins implementing his offensive scheme. 

Trent needs an offseason and more time with this offense.  It's just as simple as that.  Yeah, he had an offseason with the Browns, but they did a fullsail coaching swap this offseason with a new playbook, scheme, etc.  So it was back to square one, and then he got traded like 2 or 3 games into the season, and again, back to square one. 

Now, if he's still having the same struggles come mid-regular season next year, then it may well be time to question his abilities.  I'm not really sure what to make of all of this, but all I can say is, for Trent, he needs time and patience.  He can be an asset to us in the future, but for this season, I don't see him breaking out. 

I need a new name for fans who dismiss a player before they have truly had a realistic chance to fit into a team, (league for rookie), scheme, locker room, etc. Not trying to stir things here, but I think they have earned a label.

The inability to respect our own players because of the lack of spine to have patience and faith with those who have been added to the team and now have a horseshoe upside their head, is rampant on all boards of all teams. It is the new way.....better to blame and be wrong, than to support and be wrong.

Hmmm, curmudgeon is to long....Debbie Doubter is stupid......

Fleener has had so little respect on this board from so many, it is embarrassing.

It's possible that part of it's in his head, and my opinion on that is that a lot of it has to do with him still gaining familiarity with our offense.  People often blame his vision, and while that is partially accurate, it's also somewhat inaccurate.  He's learning a new playbook and all it's nuances (which is always different from one team to the next), he's workign with a new OL.  So he's going to hesitate with his reads and it makes his field vision look bad.  Then you throw in bad blocking from time to time, and it's no wonder he looks like a deer in headlights at times.  I mean look at Ray Rice this year.  He has always been heralded as a back with great field vision.  He has virtually the same OL at the beginning of the season, and struggled mightily, even before the McKinnie trade and his hip injury.  Did he all the sudden lose all his attributes as a running back?  Of course not.  But productivity of any RB cna change when an OC begins implementing his offensive scheme. 

Trent needs an offseason and more time with this offense.  It's just as simple as that.  Yeah, he had an offseason with the Browns, but they did a fullsail coaching swap this offseason with a new playbook, scheme, etc.  So it was back to square one, and then he got traded like 2 or 3 games into the season, and again, back to square one. 

Now, if he's still having the same struggles come mid-regular season next year, then it may well be time to question his abilities.  I'm not really sure what to make of all of this, but all I can say is, for Trent, he needs time and patience.  He can be an asset to us in the future, but for this season, I don't see him breaking out. 

But the hilaaaaaarious part is those fans who dissed Brown, are now using Brown as an example of why Trent has failed. Just gotta get my pound of flesh somewhere.

Maybe those who like to throw players under the bus can take this change in the appearance of Brown and Fleener as a lesson to how things can look different if given time and patience.

Not just Jimmy Graham either. The Pats do it with Gronk sometimes, Washington with Jordan Reed and San Diego with Gates.

Athletic catching TEs are very difficult to stop when they line up with the receivers.

He's the second best receiving option at the moment behind Hilton I glad he has stepped up this year (and so is my fantasy team) now just picture him next to Allen next year and Reggie back and sit back and smile.

Assuming Reggie comes back ready to play. I think he can, but we'll have to wait on that.

If he does, yeah, you have TY who has stepped up as a leading option, then Fleener who is playing more snaps and starting to prove himself. They are growing tremendously because of the absence of Wayne and Allen. Add in another receiver -- you know, one who can catch -- either in free agency or through the draft, and we're back to looking like a promising receiving corps again.

Not to mention getting Vick Ballard back... 

Wait. You mean he's not a second round bust now? And Grigson may know talent?

Sorry, that's not what I've learned from a lot of people who know better.

Now, let's get back to how sorry a trade that was for Richardson...

BTW....take a look at who laid the seal block for that last Brown TD. I believe it was McGlynn. You know....the other dissed player who is screamed to be benched every week.

BTW....take a look at who laid the seal block for that last Brown TD. I believe it was McGlynn. You know....the other dissed player who is screamed to be benched every week.

McGlynn is still one of the worst guards in the league. One good play doesnt change how horrendous hes been.

McGlynn is still one of the worst guards in the league. One good play doesnt change how horrendous hes been.

he was good pretty much all of last night. Heck even Satele played well last night maybe it was just bazzaro night for the oline but gotta give the devil his due even if it's just for one game.

...amen. Just needed some time in grade to acclimate himself to NFL speed.

Not really. Everyone drops Andrews inaccurate passes. Most EVERYTING last season was thrown late, behind, or to high.

The guy just isn`t an accurate thrower unless he has time to think, and he can find an open Primary receiver, but he is slowly doing better.

As Andrew keeps his throws within 15 yards, they all do better.

Assuming Reggie comes back ready to play. I think he can, but we'll have to wait on that.

If he does, yeah, you have TY who has stepped up as a leading option, then Fleener who is playing more snaps and starting to prove himself. They are growing tremendously because of the absence of Wayne and Allen. Add in another receiver -- you know, one who can catch -- either in free agency or through the draft, and we're back to looking like a promising receiving corps again.

i think he will the real question is will Reggie still be Reggie or will he suffer the same fate as Marvin after his knee injury? Either way the Colts need to be in the market for another younger WR this off-season who can be a future number one (yrs even with TY on the roster you can have more then one good young WR at a time) rather they get him in the draft or free agency. This offense could become the best in the NFL with solid line play real fast once they get guys healthy and maybe sign a guy or two in the off-season.

Actually TY isn`t Close to FleenR as the #1 option. TY only connects with Andrew just over 50% of the times he is thrown to.

FleenR Is the Matchup nightmare he was projected to be, and has been wide open many many times last year and this, often with Andrew looking right at him, and Andrew usually switched to someone else farther downfield who was double covered. Resulting in 40% completions at most, high throws, and Int.`s

It frustrated Arians if you can believe him, and I would think Pep also.

And one opinion by a fan doesn't make his one of the worst guards in the league....unless of course you have actually studied all the guards in the league this season.

If so, my bad.

Actually TY isn`t Close to FleenR as the #1 option. TY only connects with Andrew just over 50% of the times he is thrown to.

FleenR Is the Matchup nightmare he was projected to be, and has been wide open many many times last year and this, often with Andrew looking right at him, and Andrew usually switched to someone else farther downfield who was double covered. Resulting in 40% completions at most, high throws, and Int.`s

It frustrated Arians if you can believe him, and I would think Pep also.

Completion percentage down the field is always lower than it is on shorter throws. Hilton gets targeted downfield way more often than Fleener does, thus the lower completion percentage.