Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck Lights Fire Under Team At Halftime

esmort

Sounds like Luck was ripping some people .... I like hearing that he has it in him to get fired up and take the leadership role.  Not that I didn't think he was not a leader, but I have never heard about him get fired up like that before.

http://espn.go.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/2069/luck-lights-a-fire-under-the-colts-at-halftime?ex_cid=espnapi_public

This is the second week in a row where Luck has flat out said "it's tuff when we can't run the ball". I gotta a feeling he is not too happy with the slouch from Cleveland, but then who is? 2.75 yards per carry last night. It is hard to watch any team that needs a short gain and have the bull back fall flat on his face. If Richardson got the job because of his strength what happened to that strength? Luck is going to prove out to be a very, very strong leader.

This is the second week in a row where Luck has flat out said "it's tuff when we can't run the ball". I gotta a feeling he is not too happy with the slouch from Cleveland, but then who is? 2.75 yards per carry last night. It is hard to watch any team that needs a short gain and have the bull back fall flat on his face. If Richardson got the job because of his strength what happened to that strength? Luck is going to prove out to be a very, very strong leader.

i don't think that was the problem at all! when we needed a short gain and TRich got the ball, more often than not - we got a first down/score..

the problem is he does it (short gain) constantly, on 1st&10 and then on 2nd&9 ;)

Sounds like Luck was ripping some people .... I like hearing that he has it in him to get fired up and take the leadership role.  Not that I didn't think he was not a leader, but I have never heard about him get fired up like that before.

http://espn.go.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/2069/luck-lights-a-fire-under-the-colts-at-halftime?ex_cid=espnapi_public

Great player, Great leader. He should have been angry. Football is about passion and the last 3 weeks they've had none. This guy is one heck of player and it's nice to see the team respond when he speaks.

Read the link again.....

I didn't see a single sentence that said he ripped anyone.

Here's the paragraph that jumped out at me....

"He had that look in his eye," Colts defensive lineman Cory Redding said. "He basically told the team to jump on his back. He really got caught up today when he was talking to us. He challenged everybody to fight and go out there and win this game. You like to hear that from your leader." 

Sounds like it was mostly a challenge.   To play better.   To put up a fight.    To follow Andrew's lead.   Luck is not built to rip anyone.    He's hard wired to lead,  to inspire,   to motivate.    He might say something like "We're not playing well.   We can all play better, starting with me!    I'm challenging everyone here to play their best half of football right now!"

Something like that......   that would be more Luck's style....

"Slouch from Cleveland"

:facepalm: :facepalm:

Before the game, in the Gameday thread, I made the comment that I was still angry about last week, and I hope the Colts are too. 

Apparently it took a bit more embarrassment before they got *. Anger can be channeled into focus, and it looks like that's exactly what happened.  

Look I agree his production is terrible, but a slouch? Really? You clearly don't understand the intricacies that go into learning an offense that contains over 500 Plays, clearly. That being said I can tell you that I have learned a lot of things in my life, and fairly quickly. However I have never come into a new place, new job, new position and automatically became the #1 Guy there. That being said, Trent Richardson is young, he is still a new face on the team, and Donald Brown has been with the Colts for how many years now? He is clicking with a young Offense because he has been there, he understands the system to its entirety. Richardson needs an OTAs, Training Camp, and a Preseason with the Team to click in the way everyone wants him to. 

I don't know you, but football is just like anything else you don't learn how to drive a car in a single day, you don't learn a language in a day, you can't learn a foreign language in a month it takes time, discipline, and determination, TRich has all of those things and he will be a superstar in this system.. 

No offense meant, just slightly offended with the unfair and unnecessary doubts towards a kid who is in his 2nd year in the NFL with his 2nd team in 18months, and you expect him to go from the Browns to the Colts and look like Adrian Peterson? Unrealistic, completely unrealistic... 

Read the link again.....

"He had that look in his eye," Colts defensive lineman Cory Redding said. "He basically told the team to jump on his back. He really got caught up today when he was talking to us. He challenged everybody to fight and go out there and win this game. You like to hear that from your leader." 

Sounds like it was mostly a challenge.   To play better.   To put up a fight.    To follow Andrew's lead.   Luck is not built to rip anyone.    He's hard wired to lead,  to inspire,   to motivate.    He might say something like "We're not playing well.   We can all play better, starting with me!    I'm challenging everyone here to play their best half of football right now!"

You are right, the article doesn't come out and say he "ripped anyone" per se, and I don't think he necessarily singled out specific players.

But, when I read the article things like this stood out to me:

- Luck was frustrated, he was angry and he didn't hold back his feelings from his teammates.

- "It was to a whole new level," punter Pat McAfee said. "Normally, he has a calming presence, meaning we know what we have to do to win the game. This was a different Andrew."

- "He had fire and passion with his talk," tackle Anthony Castonzo said. "He had some powerful words behind it. It's been three weeks in row that we were down at halftime. There was some frustration. He wanted to make sure we came back and won this thing."

Just seemed like even though he was motivational that he was also frustrated and there was some "collective ripping" (for lack of a better term), that was beyond  "lets go out there and get them in the 2nd half guys, we can still win this" type thing.  I think if you read between the lines of those two quotes it definitely does not sound like the "typical" Luck motivational speeches we have previously read about ... to me anyway.  Or at least any that he has given as a Colt, you being much more familiar with him from college may have seen this level from him before; but this is the most fired up I have ever heard about him getting as a Colt.

To all that are willing to give Richardson some slack why is it that all of the former players (I said "all") are doubting this guy? I know there is a learning period but his status in years played has nothing to do with how to bounce of a hit. You don't learn at his stage how to spin off a tackle or when to lower which shoulder. Christmas is a long way away so why not wait until Santa comes before we give him a pass and if he performs so admirably in the playoffs please make sure you post your sympathy. "You-play-to-win-the-game".

Read the link again.....

Thanks for seeing the reality. You are the 1st post here that GOT It!

The D was becoming unhinged with those penalties, and his words I think were intended to reground everyone.

Andrew was terrible in the first half. Plain Bad decision making, some really poor passes, I thought he was coming unhinged like I had never seen before.

I don`t think the line played better because of any challenge. They moved Cherilus over by AC and the Titan D had no answer.

Doyle had some nice pulls and the mis-direction opened up some "tight" but useful holes that Brown did a GREAT Job trusting they would open.

Then they ran Coby across as the Primary receiver and Andrew didn`t Ignore him/screw it up. 

With DHB, Brazill, Whalen. Reed out there, well, that group is pretty much a mess.

Safe to say, Pep hasn`t figured out a way to make any of them Valuable.

Pep has a huge challenge. He is trying different thing, players, formations. trying to figure ways to get something out of some below par players and a Young QB who has things to learn. A real shame Reggie didn`t have a heal up type injury rather than what did happen.

A real shame Reggie didn`t have a heal up type injury rather than what did happen.

A day or so after Reggie's injury, I heard/saw a talking head at ESPN, a former player....   I don't recall if it was Hoge, or Schlereth, or someone else.....    but he said this.....

The loss of Wayne is so big to the Colts,  that I'd bet the Colts would have rather lost the game to Denver, but have Reggie not suffer the injury than what actually happened.

I really couldn't agree more!

I wish today Wayne was still healthy and we had one less win, and one more loss.    I'd take that right now and we'd still win the division....

A day or so after Reggie's injury, I heard/saw a talking head at ESPN, a former player....   I don't recall if it was Hoge, or Schlereth, or someone else.....    but he said this.....

The loss of Wayne is so big to the Colts,  that I'd bet the Colts would have rather lost the game to Denver, but have Reggie not suffer the injury than what actually happened.

I really couldn't agree more!

I wish today Wayne was still healthy and we had one less win, and one more loss.    I'd take that right now and we'd still win the division....

That was my 3rd all-time favorite Colt Win. I wish...

Reggie wasn`t beating`em with speed.

JMO, but with those hands and that mind, he can come back at 85-90% and will continue to kick their butts!

Andrew, Reggie, TY, FleenR, Allen, and others, and an improved O-Line, ... The O Monster starts in 2014!

Do you guys think that pro players respond to anything (that isnt a change in  strategy) that happens at halftime?

You need to read up on him...   he curses like a sailor and walks the walk...  He took charge of the huddle from day one.

Colin Cowherd hit it right on the head...  "Luck has NO DEFICIENCIES"  He is THE MOST complete football player in the NFL.

I was excited to hear that Andrew finally got * and pushed his teammates.  With Reggie and Bethea and Mathis and even Cory Redding on the team, it's easy for Luck to sit back and let those guys push the other guys vocally.  But as Luck's career unfolds, he's going to have to learn to be a dick when the time calls for it. 

I get the feeling that not every Colt player liked Peyton over the years, but they all respected him.  You hear the same thing about all of the greats...Elway, Marino, Montana, et al.