Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Article - Colts will regret Richardson trade

Everyone

Because that is what people are arguing. He always faces stacked boxes. All im pointing out with this.

How good was cle oline? I would assume if a team had a good line, like say San Fran you would NEED to stack the box more in order to stop the run. I'm really over it. I don't care about his ypc, I don't care about the stacked boxes. I care about if he is helping us win and protecting Luck.

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How good was cle oline? I would assume if a team had a good line, like say San Fran you would NEED to stack the box more in order to stop the run. I'm really over it. I don't care about his ypc, I don't care about the stacked boxes. I care about if he is helping us win and protecting Luck.

Everything I can find puts them at top 5 pass blocking and average to above average run blocking wise last year.

That's fine I just wish Richardson contributed more to our wins. I wouldn't mind a game where rich has to bail us out for whatever reason and he actually does.

I absolutely hated the Richardson trade and made it know from the beginning, however, I have tried my best to give him the benefit of the doubt and give him a chance...unfortunately, he has done nothing to make me change my mind so far. I still root for him to show me he was worth giving up a 1st rd. pick for him. My hatred for the trade has nothing at all to do with Richardson himself, I just hate the idea of using or trading a 1st rd. pick on any RB. They are a dime a dozen and IMO we could have snagged a RB off somebodies PS or signed one off the street and gotten every bit the amount of production we've got from Richardson. I know some that love the guy and will come up with something to try and tell me I'm wrong, but I'm not. 

The article is right, I don't see the burst or wiggle, or vision I would like, I would like to have the first RD pick, but he is good at short yardage & that was a HUGE PROBLEM for the Colts in the past. We have had alot of injuries so we did need someone. I think he is trying too hard as the article suggests, but the explosiveness that you would like in a first round back I don't see it. True our oline is not good guards and center, maybe better blocking? Only time will tell. Honestly to this point I like the way Ballard runs better than Trent. Just my opinion!

The Colts didn't get Richardson for the long yardage plays.  Brown's better for that as he's faster.  Once he gets past the linebackers, he's gone.  Richardson is a short yardage back than can pull the pile.  He's good for your 3rd and 2.

Teams don't give up 1st-round picks for the type of back you describe.

I disagree. Trent wasn't broken. The team was. He was a few yards off of being a thousand yard back last season whilst seeing stacked boxes constantly.

False. TR faced 8 men in-the-box 17.98% of the time in 2012, ranking him 25th in the league in this category.

well, honestly, Donald brown is the better running back right now. The good thing about donald is that he gets all the yards he can possibly get on a play. The bad thing about T-rich is that he can not predict where a hole is gonna be and is most of the time extremely late at hitting the hole. Donald brown excels at just that. Honestly, I'd like to see more from brown and less from richardson. I'm done making excuses for this guy. Unless he makes something happen this game or maybe the next, he's a huge trade bust. I know you richardson believers are gonna bash me on this one but I've officially turned to the dark side of this matter.

funny post

I do love how all the Brown supporters got amnesia and forgot all their preachings about letting a guy have time to develop.

there were a lot more brown haters i believe. his biggest problem is being injured. there are always going to be some people that say to wait for a rb to develop, but that's just not the case with rb's. they are usually good from the start and then fade because of the beating they take. not many backs are productive for a long time.

there were a lot more brown haters i believe. his biggest problem is being injured. there are always going to be some people that say to wait for a rb to develop, but that's just not the case with rb's. they are usually good from the start and then fade because of the beating they take. not many backs are productive for a long time.

deangelo Williams took a bit to get going

Man I never get tired of the classics.

It's hard to argue with.

But I will...

This is what Chadiha said of the Browns selecting Richardson immediately after the 2012 draft...

The Browns also have a lousy passing game, which means Richardson will find more defenders focused on him every time he lines up. That doesn't mean he won't be productive at all. It just means he isn't as likely to live up to the status of being the third overall pick in the draft.

Chadiha says Richardson now has better talent around him on offense. But he does not have a better offensive line. And it doesn't matter who is or isn't in the box. If you try to run this guy between our tackles, you're gonna get him killed.

RBs are more often than not successful because of their Offensive line and Offensive coaching. We do not have an Offensive line and our Offensive coaching/play calling has been too predictable when Richardson is in the backfield.

He's the best RB on our roster. And if we give him the blocking all RBs require and use him effectively, he'll be just fine.

There's a lot of opinions I'll entertain. Chadiha isn't one of them. Won't know how good/bad this trade is until next year, and even then, won't know who Colts would have picked and whether that player was a bust. But Trent's numbers have more to do with how we utilize him and our OL blocks than anything else.

I think the critics of Richardson should actually watch a game before they write nonsense like this.  Most of the time Richardson is getting the ball, it is a run heavy formation with an overloaded side and it is pretty obviously what is going to happen.  Secondly, our interior are not controlling the A gaps.  So very rarely are there sufficient holes for a RB to run through.  Adrian Peterson would have a hard time getting yards in that situation.  Donald Brown does get yards but he usually runs in a pass/run formation and there are gaping holes.  Give Richardson the ball in that same situation and he will get yards too.

Richardson does have to get a bit more decisive.  He reminds me of Brown his first two years.  Now Brown hits the hole 100 mph.  He wasn't like that before.  So I think Richardson will learn and get better.  But he has to have better blocking and more of a threat of a pass on the plays he is running.

"Colts will regret Richardson trade"

Well, we just may. But I think we should look at the trade in a more realistic way.

I was not a fan of the trade when we made it and, obviously, he hasn't done much to change my initial reaction.

However, with improved O line play, and a full training camp under his belt, is it realistic to think he could be an average Starter as far as rushing is concerned? I think it is. It looks like he will be  a very good pass blocker and while his drop on the screen pass vs SD is hard to forget, I think he has always been a pretty decent receiver. The aim in every round is to get guys who are solid contributors. In this scenario we would have a durable 3 down back who was an average runner, an above average shot yardage back, an above average receiver and most importantly an excellent protector of our franchise QB.  

Is that what we go into the draft dreaming of? NO but often, if they can stay healthy it is something we look back at and are satisfied with,

Only time will tell, but given his age there is some room for optimism.

I'm expecting Trent to improve the rest of the year and really start producing late this season. His true Breakout is likely to come next year. He is on his rookie contract for this year and then 3 more. If what I am expecting happens and we get 3 solid, productive seasons from him on the cheap, I call it a good deal.

I think Richardson has been underutilized.  He is clearly very explosive and nearly impossible to tackle; I want to see him in space.  Give him the ball on screens.  Get the ball in his hands while he is in the open field and watch him do his thing

nearly impossible to tackle  :facepalm:

those are called highlights.  where are the medium to low-lights?

That just shows you his potential.  Just because he doesn't make a 70 yard run every time he touches the ball, doesn't mean he is a bad player.  The potential is there and going back to your original point, yes, he is very hard to tackle

I absolutely hated the Richardson trade and made it know from the beginning, however, I have tried my best to give him the benefit of the doubt and give him a chance...unfortunately, he has done nothing to make me change my mind so far. I still root for him to show me he was worth giving up a 1st rd. pick for him. My hatred for the trade has nothing at all to do with Richardson himself, I just hate the idea of using or trading a 1st rd. pick on any RB. They are a dime a dozen and IMO we could have snagged a RB off somebodies PS or signed one off the street and gotten every bit the amount of production we've got from Richardson. I know some that love the guy and will come up with something to try and tell me I'm wrong, but I'm not.

You must REALLY hate the interior of our O-line then.

You must REALLY hate the interior of our O-line then.

You're right. I can't stand Satele and think he should be permentaly benched or cut. Im not a huge fan of McGlynn but do think he's better at center than guard. Hopefully next yr. we can get a real center and get thomas back. Maybe then we can have a consistent run game.

look around the league at the scores today, bunch of mediocre teams top to bottom (i'm talking from an overall team talent / coaching perspective).  We have two #1 picks and fair-to-midland coaching with some really good complementary players.  I really think that should get us a victory tonight, but as i've said in other posts, I don't have confidence in this game, why?  Because of the way all the teams can play mediocre to bad at times including us, and I mean ALL teams.  There is no dominant force and road games are not easy. Getting back to the TRich thing, Houston is banged up a bit and he should be a big value tonight, but will he be? Don't bet your coin collection on it.

Sunday night wrap-up: Hilton hauls in a win

Posted by Darin Gantt on November 3, 2013, 11:45 PM EST

350x-28.jpg?w=250AP

But at some point, the Colts have to be concerned with what they’re getting from running back Trent Richardson.

After giving up a first-round pick to acquire him from the Browns, Richardson has averaged 2.7, 3.0, 3.1, 4.0, 2.6 and 2.5 yards per attempt.

Jim Brown might have been right. Richardson might be an ordinary back, but they didn’t pay an ordinary price.

350x-28.jpg?w=250AP

But at some point, the Colts have to be concerned with what they’re getting from running back Trent Richardson.

After giving up a first-round pick to acquire him from the Browns, Richardson has averaged 2.7, 3.0, 3.1, 4.0, 2.6 and 2.5 yards per attempt.

Jim Brown might have been right. Richardson might be an ordinary back, but they didn’t pay an ordinary price.

If you want to make that argument I wouldn't quote a stooge from PFT.

350x-28.jpg?w=250AP

PFT and Florio are clowns. They have it out for the Colts...I think it's a b/c of a beef Florio and Irsay had (over twitter). But they're always taking shots at the Colts, even in wins. They are the TMZ of the NFL, so take anything they write with a grain of salt. TRich was there when needed, had some good runs and that screen was sweet. I still think he will be fine. YPC? Last night he was finally used differently and took advantage in the 2nd half. We couldn't exactly "ground and pound" being down so much....