Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Warning: Forum may overreact come Sunday

TKnight24

Probably be better to just corner blitz every play and let the lb and safety try to cover him than leave Vaughn out there....sadly this would probably mean we play a lot of zone...which I don't think is our best defense when we are healthy.

Edit...corner blitzing was a joke...the zone not. : (

I'm not worried at all about our defense even if Vaughn does start. He didn't look terrible every game last yr., he had some decent games. With the Texans starting a rookie QB that will be only his second start ever, it's difficult for me to imagine the Texans being all that good on offense. I've heard Foster and Tate may both be out, if that ends up being true, we should easily win this game. We just need to get things going on offense. If Luck can find a new go to guy, then we'll be fine.

Good point SkyBane. I will be focusing on how Keenam handles pressure & whether or not he can scramble on the move, throw, & get 1st downs. I really know zilch about the Texans new QB. I am looking forward to seeing how he maintains his composure actually. 

He handled the KC pressure just fine.

They actually did have Bethea playing CB over Vaughn in some of the Denver game.

Show how much faith the coaches have in Cassius Defensive Player of the Week Vaughn.

I could be wrong and please correct me if that's the case, but I only remember Bethea playing CB in the Nickel after both Butler and Gordy went out.  Bethea went back to Safety once Butler came back in.

The very definition of this forum is a giant overreaction.

Yeah my first thought reading the OP was that this thread could be posted every week...except the bye week of course. :D

Well, There is not a HUGE drop off from Toler to Vaughn, some but not alot, Toler is not a #2, more like a very good nickel corner. We will just have to wait and see if Vaughn starts or not, either way its just a matter of which one will be Johnsons own personal whipping boy Toler or Vaughn, they will need help

Really?  Because Toler has been #2 all year and has done a pretty good job for the most part.  I also think there is more than a "some but not alot" dropoff from Toler down to Vaughn.  Vaughn has been playing better than last year but I still wouldn't put him in Toler's ball park just yet.

Well, There is not a HUGE drop off from Toler to Vaughn, some but not alot, Toler is not a #2, more like a very good nickel corner. We will just have to wait and see if Vaughn starts or not, either way its just a matter of which one will be Johnsons own personal whipping boy Toler or Vaughn, they will need help

Oh Gavin, you and your silly notions. Toler has played pretty darn good all yr.. Our secondary has been great this season. Sometimes I think you say things just to try and defend your own evaluations because you've been saying since we signed Toler he wasn't any good but he has proved you wrong all yr. so far. 

People make me chuckle. Seems that there are sooooo many fans who say that Vaughn sucks or indicate that he shouldn't be in the game. Yet....somehow....he continues to be on this team and play. This brings about one of three logics:

A: Although I say bad things about him, he is the best we can do as far as whats available, and it is really the lack of talent in the league that I am disappointed in.

B: There are players available that would be better and it is the stupidity of our coaching staff that he is still playing and I know more than the coaching staff.

C: I am just complaining because it's fun and/or a stress relief.

So which is it?

People make me chuckle. Seems that there are sooooo many fans who say that Vaughn sucks or indicate that he shouldn't be in the game. Yet....somehow....he continues to be on this team and play. This brings about one of three logics:

A: Although I say bad things about him, he is the best we can do as far as whats available, and it is really the lack of talent in the league that I am disappointed in.

B: There are players available that would be better and it is the stupidity of our coaching staff that he is still playing and I know more than the coaching staff.

So which is it?

I would say the majority that constantly complain think it's B. The rest of us know they're full of it, but it won't stop them from believing they know better than the professionals. Many complained about Walden, Toler, Cherilous, and others, but they have been proven wrong.

So which is it?

Wait, did you misspell McGlynn?

Bah, Im somehow still used to when he was on the right side when Freeney was here, Ill need to reevaluate the MU lol.

e too haha had to think hard about it to make sure I wasn't the wrong one haha. Mathis's safety is what made me definitely sure haha.

Really?  Because Toler has been #2 all year and has done a pretty good job for the most part.  I also think there is more than a "some but not alot" dropoff from Toler down to Vaughn.  Vaughn has been playing better than last year but I still wouldn't put him in Toler's ball park just yet.

Your "pretty good job" seems to be pretty low expectations of him, He has been picked on consistently

I don't understand what Grigson sees in Vaughn hes not a good player. He never plays the ball he just runs with the WR and waits until he catches it to tackle him. Sheldon Price can't be any worse would rather see him in there at least he has size and speed. I really hope Toler can play because if Vaughn has to start, Hopkins will have an outstanding game.

e too haha had to think hard about it to make sure I wasn't the wrong one haha. Mathis's safety is what made me definitely sure haha.

Mathis doesnt exclusively rush from the left or right. He usually rushes from the weak side, which could be either side depending on how the offense lines up. The two plays prior to the safety, Mathis was on the offense's right side. :)

Mathis doesnt exclusively rush from the left or right. He usually rushes from the weak side, which could be either side depending on how the offense lines up. The two plays prior to the safety, Mathis was on the offense's right side. :)

Ah then my point stands, the big mismatch on defense should be Mathis vs their right tackle, Newton. Hes been a sieve on their line in pass pro, so that should be one of the matchups the Colts win on defense.

Your "pretty good job" seems to be pretty low expectations of him, He has been picked on consistently

Of course he has.  Vontae has been blanketing his side of the field and Butler has been great in the slot.  Toler, while imo normally good in coverage is also a risk taker.  If I know that then opposing QB's know that as well and are trying to exploit it.  Picking on Toler is the lesser of the 3 evils.  That doesn't mean that Toler hasn't played well in coverage.  And I'm also not saying that he's been playing at a pro-bowl level either.  But for a #2 CB I'm pleased with him so far. 

I'd love to see some numbers that compare all CBs to see where he ranks in terms of times targeted, completion % allowed etc.

Ah then my point stands, the big mismatch on defense should be Mathis vs their right tackle, Newton. Hes been a sieve on their line in pass pro, so that should be one of the matchups the Colts win on defense.

Well again that depends on the offensive alignment.  Though if Pagano and Manusky feel that Mathis will have a better advantage vs their RT then I'm sure they'll find ways to make sure that's the matchup they get.  

I don't understand what Grigson sees in Vaughn hes not a good player. He never plays the ball he just runs with the WR and waits until he catches it to tackle him. Sheldon Price can't be any worse would rather see him in there at least he has size and speed. I really hope Toler can play because if Vaughn has to start, Hopkins will have an outstanding game.

I think Grigson sees that he is a viable #4 corner

I won't lie I don't have a good vibe going into this game. First game without Reggie, beat up secondary, facing a QB without much footage on him, the texans are playing for their season. Only thing really in the Colts favor is that he Colts tend to play well in prime time while the texans have struggled under the bright lights before.