Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

how far can we go without 87?

runthepost

This team has had to endure so much adversity to get to this point already. The loss of Wayne is a heartbreaker, but I hope he can continue to make a positive impact behind the scenes and on the sideline. If any team can overcome the loss of a star WR, it's the Colts. We already know how dedicated the front office is to winning, I wouldn't be surprised if we traded for a receiver. But I think it is more likely that they use the guys that we already have sitting on the roster. Hopefully this team can once again make a horrible situation into more powerful motivation! 

Now TY will get the ball every game. BTW we should never throw it deep to DHB again, dude has got stone hands.

What's with all the weird random DHB hate on here?  I love T.Y., but why does he get a free pass on his drops and DHB is stone hands?  Data just doesn't support it.

Together I hope they both can help cover for the loss of Reggie.

Reggie will get better, in the mean time next man up. Reggie was always limited based on double coverage. Perhaps now it'll open room for other receivers like Brazill, Reed, Rogers, etc. Hilton you know moves to the no.1 spot next to heyward-bey. They will continue to win. Luck was pressured and had taken responsibly for the bad pass which unfortunately led to Wayne's injury. He'll be back soon.

If Reggie was drawing extra attention then he WAS opening things up for others. Honestly....I see bracket coverage on TY or the very least a safety playing over the top and keep everything underneath. DHB doesn't scare anyone...and neither does Fleener. Reggie didn't scare anyone but he demanded the best corner covering and drew a lot of attention on 3rd down....now that focus goes to TY....it just makes it tougher on everyone. EVERYONE will have to step up their game. Fewer drops...actually making the  tough catches and make some plays. I see an even heavier run focus. If you hated PEP before....just wait! We still have enough offense to beat just about anyone....we just have to execute like last night to do it against the elite.

Maybe we should be inviting Brandon Lloyd for a tryout?  He's still only 32, has over 200 catches for the last 3 seasons and was All Pro in 2010.  Obviously the main reservation would be why the Patriots didn't look to bring him back given their lack of receiving experience this season but he may be the reliable experienced receiver we need for the rest of the year and wouldn't cost us a draft pick.

Blair white moved the chains when his number was called though, he did exactly what he was supposed to do. You do not need track stars and all pro athletes on the field in order to win, look at the pats for that model. You need a mix of guys to win match ups and to work with in themselves and the scheme. Whalen fills that role. Speed with DHB (but he is with questionable hands), speed with TY (again young and inconsistent) and Fleener (who knows what he will do). Add in Donald brown to catch out of the backfield and Richardson (who was supposed to have been a good pass catcher). Whalen makes sense in possession guy to complete a package group of receivers on the field at any one time. Nobody is coming in and replacing Reggie and his leadership as well as production, all you can hope is the next guy can help and elevate the other receivers on the field as well.

Rodgers is a taller and more physical possession guy.

Polian would have said, "next man up."  I think Grigson will go for Hakeem Nicks of NYG for a third round pick....of course, we'd probably end up sitting the draft out next year if this keeps up. 

We can't just stop playing. Someone will either have to step up or they'll have to get someone from another team. 

Grif Whalon was someone who caught everything thrown his direction.  I really liked the guy and as I posted, hated it when we cut him.  Hopefully we can grab him off of a practice squad somewhere.  I realize we just didn't have room for him but his nick-name in training camp was "super glue".

To disagree with me is to disagree with Luck himself. Andrew Luck took responsibility, watch the post-game interview.  If anyone needs to step up the rest of the season its not our wide receiver corps its him. He needs to show leadership and become a quarterback that receivers will want to come play for.  Of course this is assuming that 87 doesn't come back next season. He very well could be back and if he is than this is a moot point and the Colts will be superbowl contenders again especially without the injuries that the team has suffered this year. I'm simply making the case that IF Wayne doesn't come back Luck has to show through the remainder of this season that he has the leadership and skill to make players from other teams want to come play for him.  I also think it was incredibly admirable that Luck took responsibility and shows his true character.

bla bla bla bla bla... most of everything you typed, had nothing to do with my comment.

i was just commenting that FAs in the up coming off season, will not shy away from coming here because Luck threw that ball behind Reggie.  I am not disagreeing with Luck that he threw a bad pass.  I am disagreeing with YOU that FA WRs wont want to have Luck as a QB.  That part of your comment is just ridiculous.

I really hope Reggie continues to be a big part of the team from the sidelines this season.  We have a few wr's that will get their chance.  Reggie is not replaceable but the Colts will man up and play through it. 

This team can obviously go all the way we beat the three best teams in the NFL.  Have to stop bad games to team like the Dolphins and Chargers but overall the team is very rounded and can deal with an injury even to a player as significant as Reggie.

The Colts cannot possibly replace 87 and without 87 the Colts have zero chance of going far into the playoffs. That said, on a positive note the AFC South is not a strong division so there's a good chance that the Colts, especially with a much easier second half of a season, can win their division. I feel that winning the division and then making an early exit in the playoffs is the most likely scenario. Now on to future years  there's a decent chance the Colts will never see 87 play again.  I know that is difficult to accept for many die-hard Colts fans but that is the truth.  There is no way to replace Wayne anytime soon so I along with many here will be praying for him to be back in uniform next season.  If he isn't however than I feel Pagano and Grigson can make the adjustments to not become the next Jaguars or see such a severe drop off as when they lost Manning. That said they will not win a superbowl for the forseeable future maybe not even in this era without a top tier wide reciever like Wayne.  So in summary, the loss of Wayne won't make the Colts into a horrible team it will just downgrade the Colts from a great team to a decent or at best good team. A team that still has a chance to make the playoffs and win their division but a team with no chance to go far into the playoffs. And let's not forget why Wayne is injured, as Luck said in the post-game interview it was his fault. He made a bad pass that Wayne tore his ACL trying to get to.  It is Andrew Luck's fault the Colts lost Reggie Wayne.  I feel that's important to keep in mind and may effect who the Colts can acquire in the future if Wayne is not back next season.

c'mon go troll somewhere else. 13 posts are u maybe the Texans fan with a new username?  Get a life and maybe a better team so u can stop worrying about the Colts.

Grif Whalon was someone who caught everything thrown his direction.  I really liked the guy and as I posted, hated it when we cut him.  Hopefully we can grab him off of a practice squad somewhere.  I realize we just didn't have room for him but his nick-name in training camp was "super glue".

He's on our PS my man.

Rodgers is a taller and more physical possession guy.

He might be measurables but he either hasn't shown enough in practice or he is just another measurables guy to fall to the curb in the NFL. I would love to see a tall speedy thick WR in our offense and I am certain our coaches would too so if he was ready, they would have brought him up. Maybe they are saving him for he playoffs to limit film ;)

Losing 87 could be a death blow if were being honest, Bey is inconsistent at best, Hilton is red hot one day, luke warm to cold the next. Fleener flashes his ability at times but has not put it all together yet consistently. Luck while much better then last year puts his receivers in tough spots where they have to go up and get the ball when they should not have to, Wayne was great at it...The others not very good at it, I dont think we will implode but it could happen. Going to be impossible to replace Reggie this year if he is out for the rest of it

he is  on IR so is out, check Colts rooster on colts wweb site , its listed

Cant replace him, but we can try offensive changes to help compensate, just dont ask me those particulars

Not just an acl

Reggie Wayne not only has a torn ACL, source says. He also has a torn meniscus. May make rehab a bit more difficult. Bad night all around

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1818761-reggie-wayne-injury-updates-on-colts-stars-knee-likely-return-date

T.Y has been a stud! 

Do you have an example or two in which he's 'missed' going long? I can't really think of any.

Actually Josh he has only been Hit a couple times. He has been well covered most of the time, with Andrew also overthrowing him several times. Defenses are adapting as expected. Also, Andrew is having consistent difficulty timing him on the shorter stuff.

As has been posted, TY has had two big games and been OK the rest.

Andrew has to get his head outa Reggies ... routes now. 

9 games to slowyly get better. Just remember how weak we are up the middle when one holds all accountable.

Andrew makes those 3 look better than they will EVER be, as a unit!

With our LB`s, and our Interior O-Lineman, we will do very well to win a playoff game.

I'm pretty sure the Ravens won a super bowl last year without him.  Will need to go back and watch the tape to be sure.

Assuming this is the case, the Colts can probably win a super bowl without him.  It will be harder, though.

True very true, but the Colts also don't have Anquan "chuck the ball up in the rafters & I will bail you out" Boldin either...

What I would try to figure out is why Boldin wasn't Superbowl MVP last year...

True very true, but the Colts also don't have Anquan "chuck the ball up in the rafters & I will bail you out" Boldin either...What I would try to figure out is why Boldin wasn't Superbowl MVP last year...

A good point, though I'd rather have Luck and an average wide receiver than Flacco and Boldin.

They changed the depth chart on colts.com and they listed TY and DHB  first with Brazill and Whalen behind TY and Reed now behind DHB.

http://www.colts.com/team/depth-chart.html

Sort of a shame.  Not that T.Y. doesn't deserve it, I was just hoping Brazil had been showing something special in practice that lead to his quick leap up the depth chart.

Brazill will have to step up his game. He has been none existent in the two games back. DHB made strides last night... and we will probably see a lot more tight ends.

I believe he had 1 game back. I don't think he was activated the first game. With the emphasis on the run he could not produce with Wayne, DHB, and Hilton in front of him because there is just only so many reps and passes to go around.