Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The official "I'm upset with Pep Hamilton" Thread.

SilentHill

Is Pep Hamilton doing a good job?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Is Pep Hamilton doing a good job?

• No
    • Yes

So I'd like to keep this thread and follow it throughout the rest of the year.

This offense Pep is running is supposed to get a lead and kill the clock with a power rushing attack, but what I am seeing is us playing from behind, and killing the clock at the same time, and wouldn't you know it, twice this season we have run out of time.

Simple poll attached, Do you think Pep is doing a good job?

I think he's doing fine. His play-calling had nothing to do with our receivers drops, the defense giving up bone-headed penalties (resulting in three 1st downs to Chargers), and it's not like he had the authority to go for it on 4th down instead of punt (at least I assume he doesn't have that authority). He's at least trying to mix up his play-calling with the flea flicker play, occasional screen, etc.

Our defense didn't give our offense enough chances. Too many 3rd down conversions were given up today. You have any QB sit on the bench for that long and your offense will be out of rhythm. Let's also not forget it was Monday at San Diego. It was a long flight for Indy in a loud Monday night stadium. It was so loud, Luck couldn't communicate effectively with his receivers. Fleener had to tell the receivers in the flats what the play call was, or so the announcer said.

You can point a lot of fingers at this loss, but Pep Hamilton isn't the main culprit.

I think he's doing fine. His play-calling had nothing to do with our receivers drops, the defense giving up bone-headed penalties (resulting in three 1st downs to Chargers), and it's not like he had the authority to go for it on 4th down instead of punt (at least I assume he doesn't have that authority). He's at least trying to mix up his play-calling with the flea flicker play, occasional screen, etc.

I'm not talking about the Chargers game in particular. I've noticed this all season, we are very very very predictable, he seems to think it's some sort of victory to make it to 3rd and short. and he isn't planning his game around the weakness of the other teams, It's almost like the game plan every week is the same, maybe they don't even have offensive meetings, I see no evidence to suggest that they do.

He needs to mix it up. Every single time Trent is in the game, the D is stacking the box. When Brown comes in they back off, hence the reason Brown sees wide open holes. Give Richardson some other runs other then between the tackles. I'm frustrated with this game. Maybe I'll feel better in the AM

Yeah I've been in his corner, but the O is obvious to a dangerous degree.

^^This, I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt until the end of the season let everyone get up to speed/learn the playbook, and for him to get some experience under his belt .... But, I do expect to see some improvement and non-obvious play calling by the end of season.  If not I could easily slide to the anti-pep side.

This thread... is ridiculous...

First we threw... we threw more than we passed... 

Second the play calling is obvious for a reason.. you see its called creating a habitual play which causes defenses to react to a certain play because they see that play.  When you want your big play you hit it and you hit it up and running.  Not Pep's fault that when he decided to hit the pedal no one could catch a single pass...Dropped passes means no rhythm, which usually means that either your QB has to force throws now and/or your running back has to take over the game.  Problem was our oline had 0 push all game save 3 plays in which Richardson took advantage of... 

Third.  Fleener...  When is someone going to own up and say this is probably the worst draft pick of Grigson's draft?  Not faulting Grigson but moreso on fleener.  He doesn't play to his size, he gets no separation he plays scared and looks lost almost every play and has never,... (emphasis time) NEVER seemed to take over a game like an elite TE.  Hell I can't think of a game where he has played better than Dwayne Allen and that includes blocking and pass catching.  (does he catch passes?)

So yea I think the blame is more on execution this game than anything.  D had no help from O and O had no help from D.  The cycles is vicious and when the D did get a 3n out (helped the O) the O flat lined.  In no way was this a coaching problem.  You may think there was a missed call on the 4th down, but as I see it the whole team couldn't do anything so why put yourself in a bad percentage situation?  Then your usual great punter muffs one... just no way this was a coach's problem...

Second the play calling is obvious for a reason.. you see its called creating a habitual play which causes defenses to react to a certain play because they see that play.  When you want your big play you hit it and you hit it up and running.  Not Pep's fault that when he decided to hit the pedal no one could catch a single pass...Dropped passes means no rhythm, which usually means that either your QB has to force throws now and/or your running back has to take over the game.  Problem was our oline had 0 push all game save 3 plays in which Richardson took advantage of... 

Third.  Fleener...  When is someone going to own up and say this is probably the worst draft pick of Grigson's draft?  Not faulting Grigson but moreso on fleener.  He doesn't play to his size, he gets no separation he plays scared and looks lost almost every play and has never,... (emphasis time) NEVER seemed to take over a game like an elite TE.  heck I can't think of a game where he has played better than Dwayne Allen and that includes blocking and pass catching.  (does he catch passes?)

So yea I think the blame is more on execution this game than anything.  D had no help from O and O had no help from D.  The cycles is vicious and when the D did get a 3n out (helped the O) the O flat lined.  In no way was this a coaching problem.  You may think there was a missed call on the 4th down, but as I see it the whole team couldn't do anything so why put yourself in a bad percentage situation?  Then your usual great punter muffs one... just no way this was a coach's problem...

Go away.

You do realize I am talking about the WHOLE season. Get off this Chargers crap.

Go away.

You do realize I am talking about the WHOLE season. Get off this Chargers crap.

Go away? really? I give you full detail that pertains to the WHOLE season as you say and you dismiss it with go away?

This season has been a great and efficient one for this team.  They have been winning games and winning them like how an elite team should.  Part of this is due to this supposed bad play calling you call.  Your complaint is that it is obvious, but yet when I tell you why it is that way you don't rebuttle you get defensive.  Please

Play calling has been successful.  Why? because we Run the ball.  3rd down what do we do in short yardage in the previous games? Run it... guess what? we got it...  Tonight we has a 3rd and 2 what did we do? run it... guess what? we got it...  You literally have nothing to stand on.  We are running the ball effectively and in the right moments and due to that we are having major chances to move rapidly later in quarters.  Which we usually catch and capitalize on.  Tonight what did we do? we dropped it.  So please go away and stop taking one night of lack of execution as an excuse to throw Pep under the bus, when he has no reason to be. He is putting Luck in a position to succeed even with a not so great run blocking oline and injured TE core.  (Both staples of the Stanford Offense btw)

Our defense didn't give our offense enough chances. Too many 3rd down conversions were given up today. You have any QB sit on the bench for that long and your offense will be out of rhythm. Let's also not forget it was Monday at San Diego. It was a long flight for Indy in a loud Monday night stadium. It was so loud, Luck couldn't communicate effectively with his receivers. Fleener had to tell the receivers in the flats what the play call was, or so the announcer said.

You can point a lot of fingers at this loss, but Pep Hamilton isn't the main culprit.

had 3 fg,s and had the ball 8 times , no td,s that the offence fault.

Go away? really? I give you full detail that pertains to the WHOLE season as you say and you dismiss it with go away?

This season has been a great and efficient one for this team.  They have been winning games and winning them like how an elite team should.  Part of this is due to this supposed bad play calling you call.  Your complaint is that it is obvious, but yet when I tell you why it is that way you don't rebuttle you get defensive.  Please

Play calling has been successful.  Why? because we Run the ball.  3rd down what do we do in short yardage in the previous games? Run it... guess what? we got it...  Tonight we has a 3rd and 2 what did we do? run it... guess what? we got it...  You literally have nothing to stand on.  We are running the ball effectively and in the right moments and due to that we are having major chances to move rapidly later in quarters.  Which we usually catch and capitalize on.  Tonight what did we do? we dropped it.  So please go away and stop taking one night of lack of execution as an excuse to throw Pep under the bus, when he has no reason to be. He is putting Luck in a position to succeed even with a not so great run blocking oline and injured TE core.  (Both staples of the Stanford Offense btw)

Apparently we are not watching the same games. I'll leave it at that. No use arguing with a Pep lover.

It's called situational awareness. When you see the defense struggling, you want to put some points on the board. It makes the opposing offense 1 dimensional and helps your D. Instead we killed the clock and played right in the Chargers game-plan. By the time Pep let Luck loose it was too late in the game to make a difference.

Outside of the Raiders game, we have started out slow. Eventually Luck bailed us out in all but the Miami and Chargers game. We just ran out of time in those 2 games. You cant win consistently in the NFL, by putting your team in a hole and hoping your stud of a QB bails you out.

I'm okay with Pep right now. The offense has looked a bit off in some games but they're getting it done, it's the players that need to make the play for it to work, and today the WR's and Fleener couldn't get anything going with the drops everywhere. I wouldn't panic just yet on Pep, give it a whole season or two for them to get into groove.

Apparently we are not watching the same games. I'll leave it at that. No use arguing with a Pep lover.

Lol... a pep lover now huh? You started a discussion I'm discussing. You have no rebuttle nor other view so apparently you nothing to stand on in the first place.

FYI I never followed Stanford nor Pep until Luck was drafted. But I did endure years witnessing Manning having to carry games on his back and a team (and coaching staff) that was inept to aid him. This coaching staff is far from that. They understand this is a team game and are giving Luck a chance to win games without being perfect. This is the most important piece to the puzzle but I digress as most likely my response will be "go away peyton lover..." lol...

Pep's play calling isn't so bad. We need to make plays... and it should be clear that guys like Satele, McGlynn are not going to cut it. Heyward-Bey needs to have a fire lit under his *. Put Brazill in, and let him sit on the bench until he steps up. If not he is out of a job come next year. Fleener needs to get his act together too.

Third.  Fleener...  When is someone going to own up and say this is probably the worst draft pick of Grigson's draft?  Not faulting Grigson but moreso on fleener.  He doesn't play to his size, he gets no separation he plays scared and looks lost almost every play and has never,... (emphasis time) NEVER seemed to take over a game like an elite TE.  heck I can't think of a game where he has played better than Dwayne Allen and that includes blocking and pass catching.  (does he catch passes?)

I believe you meant we threw more than we ran. But that only happened because we got down and threw all over the place to end the game. The stats wouldn't have been nearly as skewed towards the passing as they were if Pep called a better game

I believe you meant we threw more than we ran. But that only happened because we got down and threw all over the place to end the game. The stats wouldn't have been nearly as skewed towards the passing as they were if Pep called a better game

Yes sorry I did mean that. But I ask why is it skewed? We havent had a game this year where we have ran more than passed... we run to set up the pass... its a building offensive philosophy with big plays coming down the stretch. If players catch the ball in this same game we are most likely 10 to 3 and unleashing pass rushers... and probably again running the ball in the 4th to put the nail in the coffin. The gameplan to me seemed spot on against a D that had shown to be susceptible to intermediate routes and play action (see flea flicker to stary game) but the inability of our receivers to catch a ball gave San Diego the chance to play press against an Offense that kept shooting itself in the foot over and over again.

Pep wasn't out there today, the receivers were just not there and Luck wasn't making good decisions. 

It's not his game plan that killed the Colts, it's the players on the field and there performances. It's not like they performed and the gameplan was crap. I liked the gameplan. Had they performed, it would have been much closer and they could've won.

They had a nearly identical gameplan against the 49ers and won very handily. 

I think he's doing fine, only.....I throw fits every week that we're not stepping on the gas until we're behind. Very predictable formations.

I would like to see our RB's block for Luck when he runs. Twice tonight, once from Brown and once from Havali, they should've turned and blocked for Luck who was scrambling. Instead, both times, they watched Luck t see if he would throw to them, not even addressing the defender closing in. Both times, Luck could've run free for a first down. Both times, he was tackled short while the RB was still standing there with his arms outstretched like they were waiting for the pass. 

I like Pep, he's a good guy. But it is truly dangerous how predictable our offense is. Our 'Power' formation and our heavy package are awful.

I don't know how 6 O linemen can open so few running lanes.

It comes down to, "if you can't open the running lanes for a power run game, then you can't use a power run game."

I have mixed feelings about Pep Hamilton. He forces the run too much. We had games were we run three consecutive plays and ended up with a three and out. And we clearly lack talent on our Offensive Line to be a force in the runnig game. He just has to mix the run and passing game better. Don't run every time straight through the middle, take advantage of the blitzes and adjust to the defense. Since the Dungy era we lost the ability to adjust. We are going into a game with a game plan if it doesn't work out we are somewhat lost. And yeah I wanna see more deep balls 

Pep wasn't out there today, the receivers were just not there and Luck wasn't making good decisions. 

It's not his game plan that killed the Colts, it's the players on the field and there performances. It's not like they performed and the gameplan was crap. I liked the gameplan. Had they performed, it would have been much closer and they could've won.

And that is why the gameplan was bad. You don't run the same gameplan against the Chargers as you do the 49ers, The Chargers had the 28th ranked pass defense in the league. EXPLOIT IT. No excuses the gameplan was horrible and Pep's inability to make in game changes to it speaks volumes.

3rd and 19. I-formation, play action pass. Enough said. The guy overthinks this whole power run thing sometimes. I mean, we're more efficient than last year and that's appreciated, but he doesn't take many chances. I don't like either extreme. Why can't we just be somewhere in the middle? The other thing that drives me crazy is when he calls a pass in short yardage situations, when he spends the whole **** game trying to establish this "impose your will" type offense. It's like he's got the bravado, but when it's actually time to let them hang, he punks out. I'd rather we power run in critical, short yardage downs and spread them out the rest of the way. Pep seems to work in reverse

3rd and 19. I-formation, play action pass. Enough said. The guy overthinks this whole power run thing sometimes. I mean, we're more efficient than last year and that's appreciated, but he doesn't take many chances. I don't like either extreme. Why can't we just be somewhere in the middle? The other thing that drives me crazy is when he calls a pass in short yardage situations, when he spends the whole **** game trying to establish this "impose your will" type offense. It's like he's got the bravado, but when it's actually time to let them hang, he punks out. I'd rather we power run in critical, short yardage downs and spread them out the rest of the way. Pep seems to work in reverse

Well, to be fair, whether i'ts Peps way or what you just said, both are awfully predictable.

Is anyone happy with Matt Schaub and OC Rick Dennison?  I am :)

Looking at our game day thread, sure looked like fans were happy with the play calling on the first drive.

This was a totally different game if DHB had not had a buttered biscuit before the game and Fleener had the common sense to catch before he ran....T-Rich too....and REGGIE?  TY????

2-19 3rd downs NOT on Pep whatsoever.  We are 4-2...Giants 0-6.....Teans....Minnesota....Steelers....Skins.  Yes we have a rough schedule.  We need a little more Pep in our step.....Reggie was like a mime out there...no enthusiasm...looked like he wanted to be at home.

Regardless....GO  :colts:  :colts:  :colts: !!!

Well, to be fair, whether i'ts Peps way or what you just said, both are awfully predictable.

If you're trying to send a message to the other team that "You know what we're gonna do, but you still can't stop it," worries of predictability go out the window. I want us to be predictable when we cram the ball down the opposition's throat on 3rd and short or 4th and short. I DON'T want us to do that all the way down the field, however. Hope that clarifies my stance a little better

Pep Hamilton has the right intentions, but needs to turn the game over to Andrew Luck. They need to run a hurry-up offense where Luck can audible at the line of scrimmage, whether it be power run or not. Andrew Luck will be the best overall quarterback to play the game, he has the smarts, talent, integrity, and love for the game. It about time we hand him the keys. 

I've watch Colts football religiously since the day of the '02 Monday Night Miracle in Tampa Bay. It turned me into a Manning fan, and very quickly a die hard, bleed blue, Colts Fanatic. 

I've experiences many losses to the Patriots, a loss in the super bowl, but no game was more painful to watch than last night's Monday Night Disaster in San Diego. The conservative aspect of the Colts last night, pained me to watch. Any time the tempo was increased on offense, we made plays, but yet we insisted on power run with huddle after huddle. I want to blame the D, but its hard to play defense for 2/3 of the game when your offense has 3,4, and 5 play drives because they are too conservative. 

I hope the coaching staff can learn from this game, we need to change our approach on offense if we to be considered "serious Superbowl contenders" 

P.S. Laron get back on the field, the defense needs you

If you're trying to send a message to the other team that "You know what we're gonna do, but you still can't stop it," worries of predictability go out the window. I want us to be predictable when we cram the ball down the opposition's throat on 3rd and short or 4th and short. I DON'T want us to do that all the way down the field, however. Hope that clarifies my stance a little better

It does.  And I didn't disagree with it in principle.  Just noting that predictability is what it is.  Every offensive is going to be predictable at some point in the game.  But like you said, I'd rather be predictable with a 3 WR set in 3rd and 19 and a 1 or 2 WR set in short yardage situations than I would the opposite.  When you need chunks of yardage, you don't want only 1 playmaker on the field and a 2 RB/TE set.  By nature, the latter will be slower and while it may initially get into the second level, it's not outrunning anyone the last 10 yards.

For the most part Luck's decisions where fine.  It's crucial drop after crucial drop.  

I think we dropped like 4 or 5 3rd down conversion passes.  Lets say it's 4. . . If we make those catches then we go from converting what 2 3rd downs to 6 and we would have had more chances to score, Rivers would have stayed off the field, etc etc.

The time of possession tells the entire story of this game, and the reason it was that bad was because San Diego converted on 3rd down, churning out small little gains that kept the drive alive and ran the clock and the Colts did not convert on 3rd down.

Luck will probably stand up there and take the blame again.  But his only int was off a tip in despiration.  This is on the receivers and the defense not getting off the field.