Keep McGlynn at center, Satele off the line up

chad72

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's what our lineup should be.

Costanzo, Thornton, McGlynn, Linkenbech, and Cherilus

Holmes at backup G/C, Satele at backup C, Reitz at backup T.

Att this offseason, review who should start at LG, C, and RG. I suspect that either Satele, McGlynn, or Linkenbech will be gone or benched.

I hate to see Satele come back, because with this one move, not only does Satele displace McGlynn at center, it also sends Linkenbach back to the bench.

Link deserves to be the starting guard. The o-line used in the SF game is our best option for running the ball.

And gives us the needed size! 

Castonzo     6-7  311

Thornton      6-3  334

McGlynn      6-4  325

Linkenbach  6-6  325

Cherilus       6-7  316

Satele needs to be cut next year.  His cap hit jumps to over 5.4 million next year (it's 3.8 million now).  Next year we would have to eat about a million in dead money but it would save us 4.4 million overall.  

We could spend that 4.4 million and get an actually good center.  

The team thinks it already has a really good center on the roster right now.

HIs name is Khalid Holmes.

I hate to see Satele come back, because with this one move, not only does Satele displace McGlynn at center, it also sends Linkenbach back to the bench.

Link deserves to be the starting guard. The o-line used in the SF game is our best option for running the ball.

And gives us the needed size! 

Castonzo     6-7  311

Thornton      6-3  334

McGlynn      6-4  325

Linkenbach  6-6  325

Cherilus       6-7  316

This is some beef right here. 

Actually, the TEAM thinks it has 2 really good centers on the roster right now. Whether or not they're right is another issue, entirely

Perhaps.....   but Holmes was clearly drafted to be the Center of the future.   They spent a 4th round pick on him.  They expect him to be the guy.    If McGlynn can be a competent back-up, (and he sure looked the part yesterday!)  then great!

Depends how he develops...he is not very physically strong for his size/weight...he needs to live in the weight room.

Agreed....   but he has put on roughly 15 pounds since the Combine.   He's now just about 320,  which is good weight for a center.   How strong is he may be another story....    I don't know....

Clearly I'm hoping he pans out.    I don't want to have to invest in a FA center next March/April when we drafted a center last April to be the future starter.....

We'll know more in about 7-8 months....

Actually, the TEAM thinks it has 2 really good centers on the roster right now. Whether or not they're right is another issue, entirely

They would never openly tear down a teammate or say that he isn't good enough. 

But the fact that McGlynn got the go over Holmes at center tells me that he at the very least isn't ready yet.

Perhaps.....   but Holmes was clearly drafted to be the Center of the future.   They spent a 4th round pick on him.  They expect him to be the guy.    If McGlynn can be a competent back-up, (and he sure looked the part yesterday!)  then great!

I was talking about Satele being the 2nd center. Why else would they continue to start him unless they thought he was a decent center?

They would never openly tear down a teammate or say that he isn't good enough. 

But the fact that McGlynn got the go over Holmes at center tells me that he at the very least isn't ready yet.

Not really. Thornton clearly outplayed McGlynn in preseason and still couldn't crack the starting lineup until we lost Donald Thomas for the year. I just think the coaching staff is ultra conservative and won't change anything until they're forced to (i.e a major injury)

I was talking about Satele being the 2nd center. Why else would they continue to start him unless they thought he was a decent center?

Fair enough....   and still agreed....

The team is invested in Satele....    the team thinks he's decent....   

By the way,  I don't think Thornton "clearly outplayed McGlynn in the preseason"....    Thornton was hurt for most of the pre-season....   I think he only played in the Cleveland game and that it was it....    

And yes,  many team are very conservative about the OL....   because a mistake there can often lead to injury to your QB.....

By the way,  I don't think Thornton "clearly outplayed McGlynn in the preseason"....    Thornton was hurt for most of the pre-season....   I think he only played in the Cleveland game and that it was it....    

And yes,  many team are very conservative about the OL....   because a mistake there can often lead to injury to your QB.....

Good news is that if he keeps playing well, there is no reason why we won't have two decent guards, Thomas and Thorton next season.  

Yeah, that is probably it...they paid big bucks for Satele and it wouldn't look good for him to sit as a backup.

Although I haven't been a fan of McGlynn's in the past he was great against the 49ers last Sunday. It seems to me center may be his position, I like the way he was pointing out guys & barking out commands to they line they all played well, maybe the best line play that I can remember seeing in years!! McGlynn's play has been Ok this year at guard as well, not great but OK. I would leave him at center his size and take charge attitude served him well there. Maybe, Just maybe there is some talent in this guy after all?

No one knows that, & if so why didn't Holmes start against the 49ers, the answer he is not ready.

Right.....

He's not ready because (A) he's a rookie, and (B) he's been hurt a fair amount during the off-season and pre-season.

But the team clearly thinks he's got talent,  otherwise they wouldn't have taken him in the 4th round.    Once he's healthy and up to speed,  he's the Colts' future center....

He's already taking more hits than most QB's in the league. How much more of a risk could it be to actually put some talent in front of him for a change?

And Thornton displayed more skill at the guard position in that one preseason game than McGlynn has shown in his entirety as a Colt, IMO. I've never seen McGlynn pancake a linebacker. Thornton did it with ease in the Cleveland game

The team thinks it already has a really good center on the roster right now.

HIs name is Khalid Holmes.

Like to see him watch, learn and get his reps in during practice. Also, needs to be hitting the deer antler spray big time! Lol. He does need to work on his strength though

Right.....

He's not ready because (A) he's a rookie, and (B) he's been hurt a fair amount during the off-season and pre-season.

But the team clearly thinks he's got talent,  otherwise they wouldn't have taken him in the 4th round.    Once he's healthy and up to speed,  he's the Colts' future center....

Maybe? His play will dictate that part about the future. If McGlynn stays there and plays like he did on Sunday I think Holmes would be hard pressed to get the job. Unless he is an All pro caliber which according to his draft report he is not. In fact some reports say he is not strong & soft? HMM Before I judge I like to see them PLAY?

In this story on stampede blue:

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2013/9/27/4777388/colts-injuries-ahmad-bradshaw-and-laron-landry-out-against-jaguars

...if you scroll down to the commentary, someone observed Stanley Havili taking handoffs as the third RB...

"Havili can be seen taking hand-offs on the Colts.com practice pictures. In those same photos,

McGlynn and Satele can both be seen at the center position. There may be a battle brewing."

In this story on stampede blue:

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2013/9/27/4777388/colts-injuries-ahmad-bradshaw-and-laron-landry-out-against-jaguars

...if you scroll down to the commentary, someone observed Stanley Havili taking handoffs as the third RB...

"Havili can be seen taking hand-offs on the Colts.com practice pictures. In those same photos,

McGlynn and Satele can both be seen at the center position. There may be a battle brewing."

As much as I would like for a "battle" to be brewing between Satele and McGlynn, I think we are seeing the split reps because of Samson's injury and being in and out of practice this week.

He's already taking more hits than most QB's in the league. How much more of a risk could it be to actually put some talent in front of him for a change?

And Thornton displayed more skill at the guard position in that one preseason game than McGlynn has shown in his entirety as a Colt, IMO. I've never seen McGlynn pancake a linebacker. Thornton did it with ease in the Cleveland game

You may not believe this, but I'm a huge Thornton fan.   I actually predicted the Colts picking him in the draft,  I was thrilled when we called his name!    

The only thing is,  rookie's make more mental mistakes than veterans.   And we saw McGlynn step up and do a nice job filling in for Satele....

I think Thornton is in the line-up to stay....   and I'm very happy for that!          :thmup:

Like to see him watch, learn and get his reps in during practice. Also, needs to be hitting the deer antler spray big time! Lol. He does need to work on his strength though

Well.....   he's put on roughly 15 pounds since we drafted him....    so, hopefully some of that needed strength is there!

Well..... he's put on roughly 15 pounds since we drafted him.... so, hopefully some of that needed strength is there!

Oh that's good news. Didn't know that. Was pretty sure he was well on his way to doing whatever he needs to do to succeed. I'm sure they had decent nutritionist in college but must be awesome to have them at the pro level. Eating and proper training is huge.

Oh that's good news. Didn't know that. Was pretty sure he was well on his way to doing whatever he needs to do to succeed. I'm sure they had decent nutritionist in college but must be awesome to have them at the pro level. Eating and proper training is huge.

I think Holmes was roughly 302 at the Combine....

We now list him at 319....           +17!

So,  I'm assuming most (all?)  is good weight!          :thmup:

I guess that is why Link was in the game aye?   and Indy ran for 170 whatever aye? 

sheeeshh,..

Not really nice to give the guy a "sheeesh" as it is pretty much calling him a silly "butt."  There is no real basis for saying the good day rushing vs SF is proof that Link is a better guard than Reitz. That IMO would be more f a "seeeesh " than what the poster thinks. If you said we shouldn't disrupt the O Line coming off a great performance , that's another story.

Here's how the O Line graded out vs SF according to PFF.....

• 4252 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:57 AM

@ryandaryk: Colts Offensive line PFF Grades: Castonzo (+4.0) Link (-3.6) McGlynn (-1.3) Thornton (+1.4) Cherilus (+1.0)

Joe Reitz (+1.5 run block) when he was brought in as an extra blocker. 

@TylerDBrooke: For defense, Jerrell Freeman had highest grade of 2.9 and Erick Walden with lowest (WOW! Really?!) of -3.2

Castonzo was highest grade on O, Link was worst grade on O.

Here is the Refo of the game: https://www.profootb...-ind-sf-week-3/

From ESPN today:

"Wells: McGlynn did an excellent job filling in for Samson Satele against the 49ers, but there’s no need to even think about that happening. Satele is the starter and McGlynn will move back to guard. Let’s not forget that there was talk that Hugh Thornton would eventually start over McGlynn at guard. That thought is gone for now because Thornton is starting for the injured Donald Thomas at left guard."

Satele is the center, whether you guys like it or not.

Oh ...    an internet site that gives GRADES on how well one plays.     Sheeeeewsshhh  :rollseyes:

I prefer to judge for myself.    If we went by internet grades Andrew Luck would have been one of the worst QB's in the NFL last year.  

I watched the game.    And I watch ALL of the games.   SS is NOT a good player, and McG is not a good G.

INDY's issues the first 2 games were pressure RIGHT up the middle.    Moving McG to C and Link to G, and Thornton at G seems to have worked wonderfully against the mighty 49ers.   OH, and Indy ran the ball.

Guess it was just an anomaly.       

SS will get another shot at it.     But after what we witnessed in SF I think the staff will not hesitate to switch it up if Luck is pushed out of the pocket from the get go like in the first 2 weeks.  

And I am not alone...

Rick Vinturi  from 9-24 podcast    About half way through he talks about the OL

http://www.1070thefan.com/podcast/Episodes.aspx?PID=2155

Mike Chappel from 9-24 podcast

http://www.1070thefan.com/podcast/Episodes.aspx?PID=2155

Not really nice to give the guy a "sheeesh" as it is pretty much calling him a silly "butt."  There is no real basis for saying the good day rushing vs SF is proof that Link is a better guard than Reitz. That IMO would be more f a "seeeesh " than what the poster thinks. If you said we shouldn't disrupt the O Line coming off a great performance , that's another story.

Here's how the O Line graded out vs SF according to PFF.....

• 4252 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:57 AM

@ryandaryk: Colts Offensive line PFF Grades: Castonzo (+4.0) Link (-3.6) McGlynn (-1.3) Thornton (+1.4) Cherilus (+1.0)

Joe Reitz (+1.5 run block) when he was brought in as an extra blocker. 

@TylerDBrooke: For defense, Jerrell Freeman had highest grade of 2.9 and Erick Walden with lowest (WOW! Really?!) of -3.2

Castonzo was highest grade on O, Link was worst grade on O.

Here is the Refo of the game: https://www.profootb...-ind-sf-week-3/