Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kravitz: Colts show this is how you win a championship

GoColts8818

Very nice article you could tell Kravitz was fired up.

Hard not to be if you care about this team and you watched them today.  Easily the best game the Colts have played as a team during the Pagano era and probably since Peyton and the Colts dismantled Eli and the Giants in week 2 of the 2010 season. 

Hard not to be if you care about this team and you watched them today.  Easily the best game the Colts have played as a team during the Pagano era and probably since Peyton and the Colts dismantled Eli and the Giants in week 2 of the 2010 season. 

I like this team because we are more physical..We are much bigger upfront which I like very much. Grigs is building a well rounded team not just a great offensive team which we had for years with Peyton. We always had a great offense but a terrible defense now we can have both and now we can win championships. 

We went into the defending NFC Champs house, thought by many to be one of the most physical teams in the league and punched them square in the mouth and kept doing it till we knocked them out and broke their defense in the second half because they were gassed.  If you are a Colts fan I don't know how on earth you can't be thrilled with that.  There are not many teams in the league that could have done what we did today.  It's just one game out of 16 but like Pagano said after the game sometimes a game like this is the one you look back on and realized it was a huge jumping off point.  Also another major milestone for Luck today.  For the first time since he's been here we went on the road and beat a playoff level team.  This is a HUGE step for this team's building process. Now the next and maybe even equally as important step following this up by beating the Jags this week.  It sounds silly but you want this to a be a win you build on especially going into a difficult month of October but it's only that if we beat the Jags next week.

We went into the defending NFC Champs house, thought by many to be one of the most physical teams in the league and punched them square in the mouth and kept doing it till we knocked them out and broke their defense in the second half because they were gassed.  If you are a Colts fan I don't know how on earth you can't be thrilled with that.  There are not many teams in the league that could have done what we did today.  It's just one game out of 16 but like Pagano said after the game sometimes a game like this is the one you look back on and realized it was a huge jumping off point.  Also another major milestone for Luck today.  For the first time since he's been here we went on the road and beat a playoff level team.  This is a HUGE step for this team's building process. Now the next and maybe even equally as important step following this up by beating the Jags this week.  It sounds silly but you want this to a be a win you build on especially going into a difficult month of October but it's only that if we beat the Jags next week.

Couldn't of put it better :)

What I love most about this offense is we can pound you in the mouth, but if you find a way to stop it that's okay.  We can just turn things around with all the weapons we have on offense and pass the ball on you with no problem.  Eventually that's exactly what we'll be able to do as the year progresses.  We can play the hard or soft game, it doesn't even matter!

“If you want to go finesse, open it up with five wide [receivers], we can do that,” Colts linebacker Robert Mathis said. “You want to go smash-mouth football, we can do that. We have two backs that can get it done and an O-line that can open up gaping holes.” 

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth

This is the same as my statement in the previous post!

What I love most about this offense is we can pound you in the mouth, but if you find a way to stop it that's okay.  We can just turn things around with all the weapons we have on offense and pass the ball on you with no problem.  Eventually that's exactly what we'll be able to do as the year progresses.  We can play the hard or soft game, it doesn't even matter!

Unless Andrew Luck starts to regress because we are not using his arm.

Let's not forget that we don't want to hinder the growth of our young QB. We don't want him to end up as a game manager.

Exactly, The first drive we drove down the field through the air. After that, it was a left hook and uppercut straight to their jaw.

That is hard to game plan for. I think we found out who the Indianapolis Colts are.

Let's not forget that we don't want to hinder the growth of our young QB. We don't want him to end up as a game manager.

This is the stuff Andrew Luck likes. Take a look here. He doesn't wanna have it all on his shoulders.

http://m.colts.com/s/30853/260?itemPos=3&itemUri=438437703%2F141212121434366111115511115826

I don't think that's going to happen. . . Maybe it slows down his development a bit, but we win more in the process and Luck doesn't get beat up.

I wasn't watching too many Colts games when this was going on but when Manning had Edge running the ball for him, that didn't really seem to stop him from developing.

This running compliment plus the shorter passing game might not set passing records but it's going to mean Luck is going to have a higher completion percentage and throw less interceptions.  

I like to eat cake, that doesn't mean it's good for my health.

ok let's just get to the bottom of it...you and a few select others want the colts to win, but you want the colts to win on the arm of Luck so that he'll get all the praise, just like last year. That's the best chance for him to go down as the greatest QB in history and that's what you really want.  If the colts keep winning with a strong defense and a strong running game, with Luck making plays only when we really need him to then he won't get all the accolades like he did last year.  at least a couple of people are man enough to admit that's the case, maybe it's time you did too. ;)

Brady's made a hall of fame career from it, I'm certainly ok if Luck ends up with a career anywhere close to that successful.  If your team is good enough around you the best thing you can be is a game manager.  It limits turnovers and keeps the opposing offense on the bench.  Most effective way to win IMO.

ok let's just get to the bottom of it...you and a few select others want the colts to win, but you want the colts to win on the arm of Luck so that he'll get all the praise, just like last year. That's the best chance for him to go down as the greatest QB in history and that's what you really want.  If the colts keep winning with a strong defense and a strong running game, with Luck making plays only when we really need him to then he won't get all the accolades like he did last year.  at least a couple of people are man enough to admit that's the case, maybe it's time you did too. ;)

Well, there is some truth to that, but not a whole lot. Luck is the most gifted QB in the league, now I didn't say he was the best QB in the league, just that he was the most gifted. The ceiling for him is extremely high. I don't want this team to slow his growth. History has shown that these run first offenses have slowed the development of the QB, and made them game managers. My whole gripe is based on an unfounded gut feeling that this is the direction we are heading. If we don't head that way, and we continue to allow Luck to grow, take those PA calls when you have 1 on 1 to the outside, take those deep shots when the odds are in your favor, etc. Then he will be fine.

Prime Example, look at Denver lat night, They were gashing OAK with the run, but they continued to spread the ball around with a good mix of pass and run, they didn't just run it down their throats, because they know that doesn't win championships. It's all about keeping all aspects of your game well rounded.

Well, there is some truth to that, but not a whole lot. Luck is the most gifted QB in the league, now I didn't say he was the best QB in the league, just that he was the most gifted. The ceiling for him is extremely high. I don't want this team to slow his growth. History has shown that these run first offenses have slowed the development of the QB, and made them game managers. My whole gripe is based on an unfounded gut feeling that this is the direction we are heading. If we don't head that way, and we continue to allow Luck to grow, take those PA calls when you have 1 on 1 to the outside, take those deep shots when the odds are in your favor, etc. Then he will be fine.

Prime Example, look at Denver lat night, They were gashing OAK with the run, but they continued to spread the ball around with a good mix of pass and run, they didn't just run it down their throats, because they know that doesn't win championships. It's all about keeping all aspects of your game well rounded.

When Luck plays vs the Broncos and Seahawks, we will get to know more about the ceiling that we have seen glimpses of. He will be tested against an elite D in the Seahawks, and will be tested to keep up with an elite O in the Broncos.

Yup the broncos and the Seahawks will test this team to see if they can follow up in the win in candlestick. The jags should not give us any problems but that's what I thought with the raiders so we will see. I hope jags are tanking the season anyways for Johnny football

And what examples do you have to support that theory?

I also think it's been very clear all 3 games that they're still going to take their shots down field and let Luck sling it when the opportunities present themselves.  

And what examples do you have to support that theory?

I also think it's been very clear all 3 games that they're still going to take their shots down field and let Luck sling it when the opportunities present themselves.  

Joe Flacco's early career, Alex Smith's early career, etc.

Opportunities were there on Sunday, I saw us run when there were 8 or 9 in the box, we didn't take the shots. I feel like they only want to throw if they are losing.

if coaches keep emphasizing the run over and over and over in media and everywhere else, some of our star receivers and going to get the impression that they may not see the ball much.  not saying that I would know this for sure but just think about it.  DHB, TY Hilton and company would hopefully put wins first.  spread the wealth.

Opportunities were there on Sunday, I saw us run when there were 8 or 9 in the box, we didn't take the shots. I feel like they only want to throw if they are losing.

Alex Smith's development was stunted far more by having a different offensive coordinator practically every year.  I don't think either he nor Flacco were stunted by having a strong running game.  

As for Sunday, yeah they ran even when the 49ers stacked the box, but the question is, did it work?  For the most part, yes it worked and it worked very well.  There's no need to have the QB slinging the ball just for the sake of having him slinging the ball.  We saw last year what Luck is capable of and there's no reason to think that his skills will diminish just because we run the ball a lot.  His skills didn't diminish at Stanford, and they ran the ball a lot as well.  We know that Luck can lead the offense in a shoot-out and now they're proving the offense can play smash-mouth as well.  Being able to play both styles will lead this team a long, long way.  

You also have to keep in mind that we're only 3 games in to a season with a brand new offensive scheme.  Luck, Whalen and Fleener should know the offense like the back of their hands, but the rest of the offense has to be at the same level in the playbook before Luck can start making audibles and changes at the LOS.  Otherwise it's just going to lead to disaster.  It wasn't really until around midseason last year, if I'm remembering correctly, that the offense started going more no-huddle and allowing Luck to start making changes at the LOS, because that's when they felt the entire offense was ready for those things.  

Sooner or later, they will run into a team that will stop the run. What is lost in the shuffle is key 3rd down passes Luck has to complete to move the chains, IMO.

Watch teams gang up to stop the run, that is what the Jags did vs Lynch and the Seahawks and RW found his TE for 2 TD passes because of that. I expect that to happen vs Luck and the Colts too.

This team is still finding its identify, it has found one it is building upon. The expansion will happen as the year goes on. Man, we can't have the cake and eat it too. This is what the Colts fans yearn for. Luck has gaudy stats, AND wins games, AND is praised universally.

Luck will tell you, only Ws matter. The well or ceiling :), however you want to look at it, is there to be tapped IF NEEDED. Lets be patient, it is just year 2 of Luck.