Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

One reaction to the TRich trade that I simply don't understand.

Insert Colts Pun Here

I am taking a wait an see attitude. Not to cop out but I don't watch a lot of College football & really haven't seen Richardson play a lot. My brother does watch a lot of college football & he is not a Colts fan & he acted like we pulled off the trade of the century? I see it as a trade for a position we may not have needed, but Bradshaw could get hurt? I don't like that we have no #1 pick next year for sure, If Richardson lives up to the hype it would probably be wroth it. But we still have some holes to fill though.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

we are paying him next to nothing. that will allow grigs to address other areas in free agency

Indeed. This is the HUGE upside to this deal. The guaranteed money our pick next year would have been owed is likely what? 8-10 million? That money directly goes to savings and us resigning our players or to another player. BASICALLY like we traded the pick for Trent + Mid tier FA who will likely step right in and start (OL, DL, WR) take your pick! That is the BIG +. This is a trade that makes us better now and in the future. The more I have thought about the deal the more I like it. Big reason is I LOVE RUNNING THE FOOTBALL. Few teams can do it....and when you can effectively you can't drop 7 or 8 in coverage all the time! If we force the defense to bring a safety down....WOW that will make Andrews life soo much easier! Also....what better back to get that 3rd and 1 to keep the chains moving...to get those goal line runs...How long has it been since we've had someone that can push the pile and we actually run near the goal line....we will have two great goal line threats then ....ANDREW AND TRENT. Both are great around the goal line.

I think the issue most has is that this CLEARLY shows we are going to feature the RUN a lot more than we what most want. I've read all offseason how people want Andrew to throw 40 times a game..and this is a passing league...yet two of the best teams in the league are Seattle and SF who are run first teams or at least BALANCED teams. Pep wants to run the ball and pass with play action....to do that we need a threat in the backfield...and that is Trent. Trent will be our Arian Foster...avg the 4 yds per carry and open up the play action for the qb. Ben Tate also benefits because Arian puts so much pressure on the defense and tires them that his ypc is through the roof. That will be Bradshaw and Brown. Trent makes everyone on the offense better. He breaks tackles and wears down defenders all that helps. The OL gets help because if they may be easier to run block than pass for some of ours and Andrew should see better coverages to throw into and the other backs should be fresh after Trent has softened them up. Its a good trade if Trent lives up to his abilities...I think he can. He may not ever be the home run threat...but neither is Lynch or Gore or Steven Jackson but they certainly make life easier for their qbs over the years. With the money saved that is basically another FA signed so this trade really is a 2 for 1 really. It all depends on Trent but this is what Pep wants...power running and play action....we aren't the 2009 Colts not even the 2012 Colts...never will be with Pep...we don't run a pass happy offense so get used to it. We aren't going to be the flashiest...but we may be one of the most efficient and thats what matters.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Indeed. This is the HUGE upside to this deal. The guaranteed money our pick next year would have been owed is likely what? 8-10 million? That money directly goes to savings and us resigning our players or to another player. BASICALLY like we traded the pick for Trent + Mid tier FA who will likely step right in and start (OL, DL, WR) take your pick! That is the BIG +. This is a trade that makes us better now and in the future. The more I have thought about the deal the more I like it. Big reason is I LOVE RUNNING THE FOOTBALL. Few teams can do it....and when you can effectively you can't drop 7 or 8 in coverage all the time! If we force the defense to bring a safety down....WOW that will make Andrews life soo much easier! Also....what better back to get that 3rd and 1 to keep the chains moving...to get those goal line runs...How long has it been since we've had someone that can push the pile and we actually run near the goal line....we will have two great goal line threats then ....ANDREW AND TRENT. Both are great around the goal line.

I think the issue most has is that this CLEARLY shows we are going to feature the RUN a lot more than we what most want. I've read all offseason how people want Andrew to throw 40 times a game..and this is a passing league...yet two of the best teams in the league are Seattle and SF who are run first teams or at least BALANCED teams. Pep wants to run the ball and pass with play action....to do that we need a threat in the backfield...and that is Trent. Trent will be our Arian Foster...avg the 4 yds per carry and open up the play action for the qb. Ben Tate also benefits because Arian puts so much pressure on the defense and tires them that his ypc is through the roof. That will be Bradshaw and Brown. Trent makes everyone on the offense better. He breaks tackles and wears down defenders all that helps. The OL gets help because if they may be easier to run block than pass for some of ours and Andrew should see better coverages to throw into and the other backs should be fresh after Trent has softened them up. Its a good trade if Trent lives up to his abilities...I think he can. He may not ever be the home run threat...but neither is Lynch or Gore or Steven Jackson but they certainly make life easier for their qbs over the years. With the money saved that is basically another FA signed so this trade really is a 2 for 1 really. It all depends on Trent but this is what Pep wants...power running and play action....we aren't the 2009 Colts not even the 2012 Colts...never will be with Pep...we don't run a pass happy offense so get used to it. We aren't going to be the flashiest...but we may be one of the most efficient and thats what matters.

It's almost like Pep wrote this himself.  Good post.

Listen everybody. I think this Trent Richardson trade was truly phenomenal. Trent is a power house who cannot be brought down. he benches like 500 pounds. he will be great in pass protection, and he will be a true sure runner. No, we are not desperate. whoever thinks that is a complete *. Andrew Luck is 23, T.Rich is 22. The future. The O-line is currently an issue, but we need to stay strong and give them a chance. I really cannot see a downside on this trade. We have two franchise players now. And even if you think this was a horrible move, (which it wasn't) get over it! there is nothing you can do! T.Rich is with us now and deserves to be treated with 100% respect and should not be criticized. I think he is a top 10 back and I say this with confidence. I truly love my colts and the fans, but come on fellas, Trust in Grigson, Pagano, and Irsay. they are doing whats best for the team and I agree with what they did 110%. I already bought a T.Rich jersey for crying out loud lol. well fellow colts fans, had to put my thoughts out there. I really do love Trent and am still in shock from the trade. GO COLTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! #BTM #HOISTIT

Couldn't agree moremy friend. do not understand why people can critizize this trade. I do not see a downside, only upside. its Trent Richardson. TRENT RICHARDSON! Luck and Trent. that is music to my ears.

Listen everybody. I think this Trent Richardson trade was truly phenomenal. Trent is a power house who cannot be brought down. he benches like 500 pounds. he will be great in pass protection, and he will be a true sure runner. No, we are not desperate. whoever thinks that is a complete >. Andrew Luck is 23, T.Rich is 22. The future. The O-line is currently an issue, but we need to stay strong and give them a chance. I really cannot see a downside on this trade. We have two franchise players now. And even if you think this was a horrible move, (which it wasn't) get over it! there is nothing you can do! T.Rich is with us now and deserves to be treated with 100% respect and should not be criticized. I think he is a top 10 back and I say this with confidence. I truly love my colts and the fans, but come on fellas, Trust in Grigson, Pagano, and Irsay. they are doing whats best for the team and I agree with what they did 110%. I already bought a T.Rich jersey for crying out loud lol. well fellow colts fans, had to put my thoughts out there. I really do love Trent and am still in shock from the trade. GO COLTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! #BTM #HOISTIT

His bench is decent. But hopefully it's his squat that is more impressive.

No one has mentioned the bama connection we got going on also. Sure can't hurt to have a few bama players on our team. That hurt to say, being a ND fan ;)

No problem- I have no problem with that at all. Its not the point of you having a different opinion. The point is no matter anyones elses opinion is you refuse to accept it for what it is and then argue about it.  There is no debate to your opinions. So I will put you on ignore as you say. 

The irony. All I did is state my opinion and respond to people responding to me. You're the only one refusing to accept an opinion for what it is. I don't know what your deal is, and I don't even follow any of your posts, so how you know so much about me, I think is hilarious. I guess I should be flattered  :dunno:

I don't know about you but I kind of like my leather couch and big screen Tv.

Sure. Everyone loves luxury items. That doesn't make owning them very practical, when you don't even have your essentials in order. You wouldn't enjoy that leather couch and big screen for very long if the house it sits in didn't have a lock or front door to keep it secure. 

Trent might just be our shiny new toy, but the o-line certainly isn't fort knox right now

I think the biggest problem with the trade is that it doesn't address any of our weaknesses. It was a luxury move, and an overpriced one, at that

How is it a luxury move?  We have a new OC who wants to run the ball.  That's where he and Luck had success at Stanford.  They successfully ran the ball which opened up the passing lanes for Luck and the receivers.  With Ballard going down, Bradshaw being held together with bubblegum and duct tape, and Brown just being Brown, we had virtually no running game.  We saw that even with this o line, Ballard was still able to run the ball.  We needed a quality RB to take some of the pressure off of Luck.  We only have to pay T Rich about $6.6 M over the next 3 years and we had to give up hopefully a very low 1st round pick. 

My only issue is I hope running the ball isn't the bulk of our offense, I like a ratio around 60+%passing/ 40-% running. Our QB is our best weapon, use him diversely.

I understand where you are coming from, but at this point I don't care whether they run more or pass more... as long as what they are doing works and wins football games. And hopefully keeps 12 from being knocked around like a piñata back there.

Who cares? It's a running back. Plug and play, next man up. Our offense should be centered around it's franchsie player anyways. If we're depending on Bradshaw or Ballard to carry the bulk of the offense, something else is seriously wrong.

I get that you want to improve the O Line. That is a valid concern. But what's wrong with a balanced offense? Why does it have to be centered around Luck and a pass heavy offense?

I care. Ask Manning how his seasons went later in the Colts years without a strong running game? One and dones. The only outlier was in 2009, when he carried a 32nd ranked rushing attack to the SB....and lost. Several "one and done" playoff games were due in part to the lack of a strong running game/back. Remember 3rd and 2 in SD in 2008?? We passed, and Peyton got sacked bc someone (can't remember who) missed his block. With a power running game, that doesn't happen.

Plug and play?? Um, well we plugged Brown in last week and he whiffed and we lost. Obvious troll is trolling

They want to be effective again with the play action to TY. I can understand that and agree that we need to run the clock and keep opposing teams offense off the field as much as we can. 

I get that you want to improve the O Line. That is a valid concern. But what's wrong with a balanced offense? Why does it have to be centered around Luck and a pass heavy offense?

It doesn't have to be pass heavy but I think it's stupid to have Luck and all of our receivers, and go with the gameplan to pound the rock all game, just out of some duty to display a philosophical shift on the offense. We need to be able to power run inside the 20 and on critical downs. I have no problem with that... But to try and turn us into the Stanford Cardinal and run 50 percent of the game up the gut, I think, is leaving a lot of points on the field. TY Hilton is an explosive player who needs to be on the field every snap he can. That hasn't been the case so far. The fullback sees as many snaps as he does. Something is seriously wrong with that, in my opinion 

It doesn't have to be pass heavy but I think it's stupid to have Luck and all of our receivers, and go with the gameplan to pound the rock all game, just out of some duty to display a philosophical shift on the offense. We need to be able to power run inside the 20 and on critical downs. I have no problem with that... But to try and turn us into the Stanford Cardinal and run 50 percent of the game up the gut, I think, is leaving a lot of points on the field. TY Hilton is an explosive player who needs to be on the field every snap he can. That hasn't been the case so far. The fullback sees as many snaps as he does. Something is seriously wrong with that, in my opinion

I understand what you're saying. But consider how much success Luck had in the Stanford Cardinal offense. I would personally like to see that in Indy. Obviously there will need to be some tweaks to make it work in the NFL, but that is more of an issue with Pep than with bringing in Trent Richardson.

I understand where you are coming from, but at this point I don't care whether they run more or pass more... as long as what they are doing works and wins football games. And hopefully keeps 12 from being knocked around like a piñata back there.

I hope our line is adiquit for a run heavy offense. Having a premier RB now we can truly see if it is good enough.

I understand what you're saying. But consider how much success Luck had in the Stanford Cardinal offense. I would personally like to see that in Indy. Obviously there will need to be some tweaks to make it work in the NFL, but that iwould more of an issue with Pep's ability to adjust to the Pros rather than an indictment of the his offensive philosophy. It certainly doesn't have anything todo with bringing in stud RB like Trent Richardson.

What the heck is going on with the edit button? Sometimes it shows up, and sometimes it doesn't and only gives me the option to quote my own posts! It's driving me crazy!

Addai was never Edge 2.0, if he was then why did they take Brown the following year ?

Saying that he should put up Adrian Peterson type numbers is like saying everyone who doesn't throw for 50 touchdowns a season is a bum because Manning and Brady did it.

I am sure they were shopping around for a way to protect Luck. Nobody wanted to give a good lineman up so the second best option was to get a viable threat at running back. Play action only works if you have someone who can run, Bradshaw isn't awesome and Brown is a 3rd stringer.

Other then Luck we could have traded most our first round picks in recent memory for some chewing gum and a foam finger and still ended up the same.

I didn't read every post in this thread, but more than half, so maybe this has been stated...

The concerns around the OL giving Trent holes etc is valid, though the run blocking hasn't been all that bad this year anyway. What I didn't see mentioned though is how Trent's presence will effect pass blocking; and I don't mean Trent's ability to pass block. If over the first game or two, Trent shows himself to be a threat that you have to account for, it may effect how DLs attack the Colts' line.

I haven't looked closely yet on how defensive lines are playing the colts this year with Pep's playcalling tendencies etc still being developed, but its something I might keep an eye on now.

I hope Trent finds success; wished he could have in Cleveland....but not to be.

I hope our line is adiquit for a run heavy offense. Having a premier RB now we can truly see if it is good enough.

I thought Ahmad Bradshaw....a two-time 1,000-man was a top acquisition...Clealy better than

what we had in Brown and Ballard...and his resume prove it..and he cost nothing but cash

I don't think Trent Richardson is any better...than a healthy Ahmad Bradshaw ..and TR cost us a No.1 choice

....does anybody here feel he is significantly beer than Bradshaw?

I mean overpriced in the sense that the running back position is not one that can command a 1st round pick all that often (unless it's a once in a generation type player) I just don't see anything in Richardson that makes him head and shoulders above anyone else. I would've loved this trade if it was for Peterson or Lesean McCoy.... but Trent "3 ypc" Richardson?......

Played one year on a team with nothing but a good running back.  Lets wait for a few games and see how he does with a great qb.

Also he played with broken ribs and still racked up great numbers especially for a rookie. 

I thought Ahmad Bradshaw....a two-time 1,000-man was a top acquisition...Clealy better thanwhat we had in Brown and Ballard...and his resume prove it..and he cost nothing but cashI don't think Trent Richardson is any better...than a healthy Ahmad Bradshaw ..and TR cost us a No.1 choice....does anybody here feel he is significantly beer than Bradshaw?

That's how I looked at it at first but yeah T. Rich is top tier while Bradshaw is close. Plus Trent is much younger than Bradshaw, that and being 100% healthy is probably the biggest upside from Bradshaw. sometimes plans change when better opportunities become available.

There's a time limit in which you have to go back and edit a post.

Well, that sucks. With a toddler and baby I am already forced to read and type on an inferior hand held device. Proofreading is pretty much out the window while posting. I don't get a chance to really edit my post until much later. But I digress.

Let us continue on in this pointless debate on whether or not the Trent Richardson was worth it, despite the fact that none of us can alter the reality of it. Regardless, none of the naysayers can kill my buzz. I'm still bouncing off the walls over the move.

3.6 ypc with zero threat of the qb killing you if you load the box. Lets see what he can do when he isn't the only playmaker on offense

I believe the Colts offense has just been improved with the trade , I don't get all the whinning  So we gave up a 1 so what , With hind sight being 20-20 maybe Tom Brady should have been drafted higher then the 7'th round , I expect many seasons because of his age & with the commitment to the run in our no coast offense we have to have a special RB, T-Rich is IMO  , Playing his position with broken ribs ?  Taking serious hits & coming back for more .

That is a WARRIOR  look at his YAC  with broken ribs was 568  , I'v had broken ribs that is just amazing in my book .., Combine him with our 2012 rookies & our Colts core group looks really good from my point of view  for many years to come .

People want to harp about 3.6  yards per carry . well what do you expect Weeden is a bust , Talk to me next year after he gets a chance to play with Andrew Luck ..

A lil something I found :thmup: :rock:

Richardson didn't play a single game with 100 percent health. Just in time for his knee to heal, he suffered two broken ribs in the team's Week 6 game against the Cincinnati Bengals, which he played with for the rest of the year. He then sprained his ankle in Week 16 and sat out the season finale against the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Perhaps Richardson's health was a major reason why the Browns ranked just 24th in average run attempts per game, but Shurmur's play calling also had a lot to do with it. It was a pass-first offense, with almost 60 percent of all plays going to the air. This, despite Richardson proving he could be effective even when not healthy and with his backup, Montario Hardesty, also running capably and avoiding injury.

156942366_original.jpg?1358371639 Jason Miller/Getty Images
In a more marginal role, Montario Hardesty managed to stay healthy.

Richardson rushed 267 times for 967 yards and 11 touchdowns to two fumbles. His 568 yards after contact was the 15th-best in the league and likely would have been significantly higher had he not broken his ribs. He had three games with 100 or more yards, with his best coming in Week 8 against the Chargers, with 24 carries for 122 yards and one rushing and one receiving touchdown. His best work came when he had at least 19 carries in a game.

3.6 ypc with zero threat of the qb killing you if you load the box. Lets see what he can do when he isn't the only playmaker on offense

I'd like to see opposing teams to try to load the box with Luck back there. Can you imagine? And can you imagine what T Rich would do if they completely spread out to stop the pass? Grigs took a big step toward building a very deadly offense.

Actually my argument went over your head. Ponder being a bad QB was precisely my point. Go back and read the post I was responding to first

It was stated that Trent had broken ribs most of last season. I'm not sure about what you think but most would say its difficult to run against a loaded box with broken ribs. It's a pretty legitimate thing that he got 900+ yards.

Again,

I don't understand why some people think we are panicking...? Colts spent a 1st rounder on a RB but who's to say we weren't going to draft a WR anyways? Apparently the colts feel like we will be fine without a 1st round pick and I'm fine with that. I like the trade personally. It's 2 games into the season and we can actually get 3rd and 1 by running the ball. That's rare to see in colts nation these days. Yeah it is frustrating that we can't seem to give luck any time to throw the ball but this is how I look at it. I've been reading browns forums and the fans reactions and how the fans feel about what Richardson did while he was there and it all came down to 3 things every time. The reason Richardson couldn't ever do anything (900+ yards last year with consistent 8 man in box looks. along with broken ribs) is because opposing teams would stack the box along with a horrid oline and bad QB play. Those 3 things seemed to be put on repeat as I would continue reading. The colts are not in panic mode. I don't see how this is not a good move. The colts are 5th rushing (granted its 2 games in) but when is the last time we were ranked top 5 rushing at any time in the past how many years? This at least means colts oline is at least a little bit better than the browns oline. Who is our QB guys? Andrew luck. While he's no Peyton manning he's miles better than any browns QB. And that is why Trent will not have to rush against 8 guys nearly as often. And if they do continue to show the same look, Andrew is just going to burn you. My friends, Trent Richardson means less blitzes, less sacks, and more first downs weather or not its through the air or on the ground. Andrew luck will feed off of Richardson, along with the other way around. I can't see how we have lost when it comes to this trade. But I guess we will see come the rest of this season.

Peterson is a rare talent. Awesome that he is so spectacular but it doesn't mean he is the only type of RB worthy of a first round pick. And im pretty sure the vikings oline is a tad better than the browns. which u seemed to ignore even the possibility of being true. People are excited because we got a RB who is supposed to show something and we got him for a mid first rounder (likely higher 20s). He still is very much unproven. Why don't we see Sunday what he can show behind our line.

I don't understand how you can ignore the fact that the D respected him so much as a rookie? Does that say anything to you?

You can absolutely find a decent enough guy late in the draft or undrafted, but you can do that at other positions too, and we have several of those guys, most notably Bethea and Mathis, and Freeman was undrafted.  Toler was a 4th round guy and he's looked pretty good for us so far.

I think the issue is that people seem to look at a guy like Arian Foster and draw too significant a conclusion from him, that you can find a top running back late in the draft, and that it's not worth drafting a running back early.

So I just looked up all the all-pro running backs since the year 2000, as representative of the very best running backs in the nfl over that period (not all AP all-pros, I included anyone who was listed as an all-pro by any of the outlets tracked by PFR).  There have been precisely 30 all-pro running backs since 2000 (a number of repeats from year to year).  2 of them were undrafted (Foster and Priest Holmes).  Only 2 were drafted later than the 3rd round.  That means that 26 of the 30 were what we'd now call Day 1-2 drafted players.  16 - over half - were drafted in the first round.

By contrast, if you look at QBs, one of the positions you said you need to spend a high pick on, of 11 all-pro QBs since 2000, just 4 were drafted in the first round, and just 6 were drafted in the first 3 rounds.

Very very well done.