Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Marvin Eligible for HoF This Year.

Kenny

Dude is arguably a top 5 WR ever not even arguably, how does he not get in first ballot?

Harrison is 6th all-time in receiving yards (14,580), 3rd in receptions (1,102), and 5th in touchdowns (128). He also holds the NFL record for most receptions in one season (143 in 2002).

Dude is arguably a top 5 WR ever not even arguably, how does he not get in first ballot?

Harrison is 6th all-time in receiving yards (14,580), 3rd in receptions (1,102), and 5th in touchdowns (128). He also holds the NFL record for most receptions in one season (143 in 2002).

I think he ought to go in, but there's some nonsense the past few years at the WR position. He might have to wait, due to Tim Brown and Andre Reed still not being in. I think Marvin is far and away more worthy than Reed (who I think is very worthy himself), but it's a little closer with Tim Brown, mostly due to his return production. But as a receiver, Marvin's numbers are better.

I'll be accused of being a homer, I'm sure (have already), but if I had a vote, it would go to Marvin. Of course, if I had a vote, I'd have been voting for Tim Brown all this time anyways.

I think he ought to go in, but there's some nonsense the past few years at the WR position. He might have to wait, due to Tim Brown and Andre Reed still not being in. I think Marvin is far and away more worthy than Reed (who I think is very worthy himself), but it's a little closer with Tim Brown, mostly due to his return production. But as a receiver, Marvin's numbers are better.

I'll be accused of being a homer, I'm sure (have already), but if I had a vote, it would go to Marvin. Of course, if I had a vote, I'd have been voting for Tim Brown all this time anyways.

Harrison jumps Tim Brown and Reed fairly easily at Eligible WRs

Harrison's numbers are unreal.  I think because of how his career ended and how he has been out of the league for several years now and was generally a quiet guy, people don't remember his greatness as well.  Many DBs would say that the first 10 yards of Marvin's routes all looked the same and it was impossible to jump one of his routes because of it.

Harrison's numbers are unreal.  I think because of how his career ended and how he has been out of the league for several years now and was generally a quiet guy, people don't remember his greatness as well.  Many DBs would say that the first 10 yards of Marvin's routes all looked the same and it was impossible to jump one of his routes because of it.

Many? Try every single one that's not on an ego trip haha.

He should be first ballot, though I doubt he will be.

A lot of "top so and so" lists tend to discredit Marvin due to the Manning factor. Manning didn't give Marvin his great hands or route running ability. Manning certainly improved Marvin's numbers but that works both ways.

When Marvin played, he quietly did his job extremely well. Combine that with his lackluster later years in to silent retirement has me thinking he won't win the 1st ballot popularity contest. The only time he got significant prolonged coverage was negative press over the alleged shooting. That might leave a bitter lasting impression for some, even though it had nothing to do with him as a player.

Moss ?  Not sure he makes it in because he simply didnt catch enough balls .  I think 1,000 is a big number while separating this generation of WR (Harrison,T.O.,Isaac Bruce, Hines Ward) who are slam dunk candidates. Moss drop total plus fumbles (16 more than any of the others listed despite less catches) may be what keeps him out ultimately.  When you think of elite Moss doesnt really come to mind for most.

Moss ?  Not sure he makes it in because he simply didnt catch enough balls .  I think 1,000 is a big number while separating this generation of WR (Harrison,T.O.,Isaac Bruce, Hines Ward) who are slam dunk candidates. Moss drop total plus fumbles (16 more than any of the others listed despite less catches) may be what keeps him out ultimately.  When you think of elite Moss doesnt really come to mind for most.

Randy Moss has 23 more touchdowns than Harrison. He has 9 double digit touchdown seasons, plus the single season record for touchdowns. There's just no way he's not a HOFer, based on his numbers. Can't argue for anyone else without strengthening the argument for Moss, because he was simply more prolific than any other receiver, and he has the volume numbers over his career. Sorry, he's in.

moss has no super bowl rings and that's one the biggest things they based it off of

Charles Haley has more rings than any player, and was as disruptive a defensive force as there was during his time, and isnt in the HOF. Harrison will get in, but I dont see it first ballot. And if the NFL keeps the rules and style currently in vogue, a lot of WRs, and QBs too, will have numbers. For all of Harrisons numbers, many dont consider him the best in his own era, so the waiting game might occur.

I still think Tim Brown gets in this year, and it's unlikely two wide receivers get in on one class.  I think a deal was struck in the backrooms to clear up the logjam and Carter got in last year to enable Brown to get in this year.  

Harrison is certainly worthy, but the last generation of hall of fame receivers will be sorted before he gets his due.

I doubt he gets in this go around, but NFLN said they are revealing the candidates tonight, and sneak peaked that he is one of the players who made the first cut as well as Derrick Brooks.

I don't believe he will get in this time either. It took Chris Carter a long time to get in. As they years have gone by, many of the people voting have come to the conclusion that Peyton Manning would make any receiver look like a Hall of Fame player. A little like the running backs used to be in Denver. People said it was the system and any reasonable running back would look like a star there. I think Marvin belongs in the hall but he may have to wait several years. The same is true of Reggie Wayne.

Randy Moss has 23 more touchdowns than Harrison. He has 9 double digit touchdown seasons, plus the single season record for touchdowns. There's just no way he's not a HOFer, based on his numbers. Can't argue for anyone else without strengthening the argument for Moss, because he was simply more prolific than any other receiver, and he has the volume numbers over his career. Sorry, he's in.

He isn't eligible yet...

He certainly does come to the mind of a host of people...

Charles Haley has more rings than any player, and was as disruptive a defensive force as there was during his time, and isnt in the HOF. Harrison will get in, but I dont see it first ballot. And if the NFL keeps the rules and style currently in vogue, a lot of WRs, and QBs too, will have numbers. For all of Harrisons numbers, many dont consider him the best in his own era, so the waiting game might occur.

i see what you mean but if you look at the WR records...you will see the Marvin is always 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or 5th...in almost every section.and throw a SB ring on top of that???....i think that is amazing..now idk much about Charles Haley however

The WR position is just going to get more crowded over the next few years, but Marvin's definitely right near the top of a very short list. I think he deserves first ballot, but that doesn't mean he'll get it. I felt Carter deserved to be first ballot too, but politics plays a role unfortunately.

Tasty Cakes all around. Marvin should get in on the first year of eligibility. He was a special talent and there wasn't 1 team in the NFL that would not have wanted to have him on their team. He had unbelievable hands, separation speed, precision route running and he could make every catch possible. I really miss watching him play. He made so many unbelievable catches. Fun to watch. But, being a former high school offensive linemen myself, probably my favorite Marvin moment was the block he laid on, I believe it was Champ Bailey, near the goal line in a game vs Denver near the end of his career. He absolutely lit him up. Marvin was the complete package.