Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I hope Flacco sees what a top-paid QB actually looks like.

ReMeDy

How satisfying this was to see Flacco get slapped in the face with a dose of reality. I don't know if Flacco is still the highest paid QB in the league, but regardless, he's both overpaid and overrated. For years he's been hiding behind what was a stellar defense, a leader in Ray Lewis, the deep WR chuck-and-pray option to Anquan Bolden, the head coaching staff, and Ray Rice. Now Lewis is gone, Bolden is gone, the defense lost a lot of other pieces, and where is the leadership? Can this guy not get his team together and at least try to pump them up? I'm not asking for a Ray Lewis speech, but come on. He looks half asleep out there.

True top-tier QB's make everyone else around them better. Where is that in Flacco? Try being in Peyton's shoes, play with Jim Caldwell, and take your team to a Superbowl.

How satisfying this was to see Flacco get slapped in the face with a dose of reality. I don't know if Flacco is still the highest paid QB in the league, but regardless, he's both overpaid and overrated. For years he's been hiding behind what was a stellar defense, a leader in Ray Lewis, the deep WR chuck-and-pray option to Anquan Bolden, the head coaching staff, and Ray Rice. Now Lewis is gone, Bolden is gone, the defense lost a lot of other pieces, and where is the leadership? Can this guy not get his team together and at least try to pump them up? I'm not asking for a Ray Lewis speech, but come on. He looks half asleep out there.

True top-tier QB's make everyone else around them better. Where is that in Flacco? Try being in Peyton's shoes, play with Jim Caldwell, and take your team to a Superbowl.

Flacco looked like an elite QB last season due to players around him. Now it is a different story...Flacco's reputation will fall to the realistic level.

I was never keen on Flacco, he is too inconsistent for an experienced QB. I doubt he deserved his top salary.

It was good to see, that Peyton is his old self. I hope he would get to SB at least once before retirement.

Edited by HungarianColtsFan

Caldwell abandoned the run early. In the 1st quarter Flacco threw 14 passes, The Ravens as a team ran the ball in that quarter 6 times. They ran for 45 yards on those 6 carries for 7.5 ypc. The plan was for Flacco to try to take advantage of Bailey being out and there perceived lack of pass rush from the looks of it(completely untrue by the way in this game 7 QB hits and 3 sacks later)

EDIT: MIscounted

As much as I dislike the Ravens Flacco's playoff record and the way he played in last season playoffs cant be totally overlooked. Going into the playoffs the Ravens had a losing record their last 5 games of the season. Flacco may not be as good as what most call elite but for last seasons playoffs and the super bowl he was in that category the one time. I also must give Flacco some kudos on his comment about Ray Lewis and what he thought of Ray's rants and actions before their games. Not too many Raven players would have the nerve to actually come out and say it.

This is the make or break year for flacco. He lost his weapons and it's up to him to carry the team and show the world why he is worth the money the ravens are paying him.

My prediction, without a defense to give him the ball and make stops, he will suffer and prove that he is still a 2nd tier qb and not elite.

As much as I dislike the Ravens Flacco's playoff record and the way he played in last season playoffs cant be totally overlooked. Going into the playoffs the Ravens had a losing record their last 5 games of the season. Flacco may not be as good as what most call elite but for last seasons playoffs and the super bowl he was in that category the one time. I also must give Flacco some kudos on his comment about Ray Lewis and what he thought of Ray's rants and actions before their games. Not too many Raven players would have the nerve to actually come out and say it.

I didn't realize that Joe F. completed 57% if his passes in the playoffs.

That's revealing

When you can throw it up and Boldin goes up and gets it, you pay Boldin for the short term or ask him to re-structure. I still think Boldin had as much in the tank as Reggie Wayne did and could have had 1 or 2 years of solid production. Losing Boldin and Pitta showed up big time, just like I hinted in the offseason. Ravens won't be able to keep up with Brady and Peyton without Eric Reed to strike fear in the secondary for those QBs to game plan against Reed's tendencies plus if their O can't stay on the field, their D is going to see lop sided time of possession as well.

Flacco and Mark Sanchez started similarly for their playoff careers, good game managers with great Ds but the talent wore off on the Jets faster than the Ravens, and the wheels came off and one QB has already been exposed for what he is, Sanchez that is. Flacco cannot carry a 32nd ranked rushing D (like Peyton did in 2006) or a 32nd ranked passing D (like Brady did in 2011) to the SB, he is not in the same category as Brady or Peyton. He has a gun of an arm and youth on his side but he is not that accurate and is not in the same level in terms of QB abilities as Brady or Peyton.

Caldwell abandoned the run early. In the 1st quarter Flacco threw 14 passes, The Ravens as a team ran the ball in that quarter 6 times. They ran for 45 yards on those 6 carries for 7.5 ypc. The plan was for Flacco to try to take advantage of Bailey being out and there perceived lack of pass rush from the looks of it(completely untrue by the way in this game 7 QB hits and 3 sacks later)

EDIT: MIscounted

Bad game plan to throw that much, all expected a run attack, Denvers DB did well, some of Denvers Pressure was on the substitute RT

Both teams dropped balls, decker a few, welker on fair catch but he showed what he can do later

just playing devils advocate, like WOW , glad I taped it

but still u have to give them credit , watched some with mom , its my religious holiday, she thought was Colts out their as cant understand Peyton on a diff team, only 95 & not explaining the change, had tried to before , just as I thought she asked where are the horeshoes ,  , then came home and put on DVR 

Peyton must have been * about Flacco's face being up on Mile high.  

Of course none of this is good for me since they stopped handing it to Ray Rice who's my #1 RB on my fantasy team.  Well at least he got a TD.  

I feel sorry for people who have fantasy teams going up against a team with Peyton on the roster.  His score must have been huge. 

flaco about 5 playoff wins team only gave up on average 10 points, in 1 gaame he beat Pats with only 4 completions, posted it somewhere with link other day

Look, here's the bottom line. The game was a trap game for the Ravens that never should have been played in Denver. This wasn't the fault of the Orioles, but the NFL, but that's just the way it was.  No one is comparing Manning and Flacco at this point in their careers except for anti-Raven sorts. Flacco didn't play horrible last night, but his receivers did. Stokely and Clark looked old. Dickson dropped four passes and Clark two, one that should have been a touchdown. Joe could have played better, but we got too far behind in the third quarter. The key play was the non-call on Welker's dropped pass that apparently was not shown in the coaches booth by NBC, according to reporters in Baltimore, and a bum special team's guy wiping out Jacoby Jones. We should have been up 21-14 at half, and the one Denver touchdown should have been a punt, but that's the way it goes. The call wasn't made, and the Broncos got the momentum.  As for the Raven's secondary, except for Webb, the report card is an F. The two safeties Huff and Ihedigbo were dreadful. Time to put in Matt Elam for one of them. Jimmy Smith and Corey Graham were torched. 

Bottom line is Denver played well, and Peyton was great, as he usually always is against the Ravens. The Ravens totally dismantled their roster, which had to be done, as that team had gotten too old and too expensive. That is just how it is after you win a Super Bowl. This was a tough game for the Ravens with a revamped roster that hasn't jelled yet, against a revenge minded opponent at their home, with all the emotion on their side, after a tough playoff loss. You can say what you want about Flacco's salary, maybe he's worth it, maybe he isn't. However as fans, if you shell out that money for a player, you wants wins , playoff games, and Championships, and Flacco has provided that as a quarterback. Maybe he's not Manning or Brady, but he's the best quarterback available to the Ravens, and better than any other quarterback they've ever had. He's done great in the playoffs, which you can't take away from him. 

Wait until Luck is up for his next payday. The Colts will have to make some decisions on players, and it won't be easy. Manning showed why he is one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time last night, but like I said in another post, how can a guy who threw seven touchdown passes last night, be 9-11 in the playoffs? It just doesn't add up. 

I'll answer......  It was Pretty darn satisfying  :applause:  ;)

Look, here's the bottom line. The game was a trap game for the Ravens that never should have been played in Denver. This wasn't the fault of the Orioles, but the NFL, but that's just the way it was. No one is comparing Manning and Flacco at this point in their careers except for anti-Raven sorts. Flacco didn't play horrible last night, but his receivers did. Stokely and Clark looked old. Dickson dropped four passes and Clark two, one that should have been a touchdown. Joe could have played better, but we got too far behind in the third quarter. The key play was the non-call on Welker's dropped pass that apparently was not shown in the coaches booth by NBC, according to reporters in Baltimore, and a bum special team's guy wiping out Jacoby Jones. We should have been up 21-14 at half, and the one Denver touchdown should have been a punt, but that's the way it goes. The call wasn't made, and the Broncos got the momentum. As for the Raven's secondary, except for Webb, the report card is an F. The two safeties Huff and Ihedigbo were dreadful. Time to put in Matt Elam for one of them. Jimmy Smith and Corey Graham were torched.

Bottom line is Denver played well, and Peyton was great, as he usually always is against the Ravens. The Ravens totally dismantled their roster, which had to be done, as that team had gotten too old and too expensive. That is just how it is after you win a Super Bowl. This was a tough game for the Ravens with a revamped roster that hasn't jelled yet, against a revenge minded opponent at their home, with all the emotion on their side, after a tough playoff loss. You can say what you want about Flacco's salary, maybe he's worth it, maybe he isn't. However as fans, if you shell out that money for a player, you wants wins , playoff games, and Championships, and Flacco has provided that as a quarterback. Maybe he's not Manning or Brady, but he's the best quarterback available to the Ravens, and better than any other quarterback they've ever had. He's done great in the playoffs, which you can't take away from him.

Wait until Luck is up for his next payday. The Colts will have to make some decisions on players, and it won't be easy. Manning showed why he is one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time last night, but like I said in another post, how can a guy who threw seven touchdown passes last night, be 9-11 in the playoffs? It just doesn't add up.

how does a guy win a playoff game with less than 10 completions?

how does a guy win a playoff game with less than 10 completions?

I am assuming you are talking about Flacco. Certainly some years the Ravens had stout defenses, but that wasn't totally the case last year. The defense was mediocre. I just believe Manning is such a great quarterback , he should be able to overcome many team flaws. Last night shows it. Maybe this year will be his year again, if he can avoid the cold weather game.

Joe is pretty satisfied with his Super Bowl MVP, Lombardi trophy, and nice salary. It is one game in a long season, and a game many predicted, even in Baltimore, that the Ravens would lose given the circumstances. 

I totally agree.....  None of us should be putting the cart before the Horse  (no pun intended)  it was only one Game.

But oh............What a Game it was.    ;)

I was thinking about Peyton's playoff record last night.  I was sitting there thinking about all the heart ache...

Then I remembered 2011.  That put it all in perspective, yeah the Colts didn't win multiple rings, but the Colts were dang competitive year in and out.

We had a chance and something to root for and be entertained with. 

Luck being here, is just that, we know we are going to be competitive, after all that is what we watch the game for.

Seriously, I thought that Jimmy C got away from running Ray Rice

I coudln't agree more.  Why they ran Pierce so much confuses me.  Second half obviously they had to throw more.  But, you have a perennial top 5 back and you want to put in the backup 50% of the time in the first half.  Makes no sense.

Although I agree with you in most part . . . I am going to wait a year or two before I come to my evaluation . . . it is only one game in which we evaluate the two teams and Flacco . . .  given the fact that the NFL inexplicably had the Ravens going on the road for their team earned home game, playing the Broncos who were hungry for revenge, and bounces go not there way . . . I am not going to judge him just yet on one game . it is just not fair . . . we could post commercials made and facts about bad games by elite QBs like Manning and Brady . . .

let sit back and wait and see how Flacco does in his new role, top dog on team, taking a good portion of the salary cap, and a few less role players around him, time will tell . . . for me the jury is still out on Flacco on both sides of the coin, will he be good or bad, he has the rest of his career in front of him to fill either shoe and we will find out which one he fills . . .  we will have to see back and wait and see . . . it should be fun to watch . . .

so does Trent Dilfer, Doug Williams , Brad Johnson and Jim Plunkett (2) and Eli (2)

I adjusted your post . . . just saying . . . when one looks at Eli's career outside 8 games in Jan/Feb 2008 and 2012, what do you have? . . . is it really any more or less impressive than Flacco? . . .

And I am sure there are some on this board who like Eli and even think he is Elite and so on . . . if one wants to look at Eli in a given light then one should not view Flacco any different . . .

This is not necessarily a direct response to you Jvan, just a general shout out to those on this board who hold Eli in high regard but might think Flacco is less than stellar  . . . .

EDIT: There are some in the media thinking Eli will be in the HOF and many placing him on the bubble . . .  

Manning, Brady, Rodgers , and maybe Brees are elite. Flacco , Eli, Ryan , Ben are premier quarterbacks. Griffin, Luck, Wilson , Kaepernick, are the young Turks on the rise. It is that simple. Just because Flacco and Ryan got the money , they just don't have the resumes of the elite guys. In this league , you are still going to have to pay the premier quarterback , but if you have an elite one, you are in Super Bowl contention almost every year.

Couldn't agree more. I'm not saying that Flacco is incompetent but most decent QB's have flashes of greatness and can succeed behind a stellar defense. Grossman did it for years and where is he now? back up at best. pretty sure hes not worth 10 mill a year. Also, even the commentators were speaking on the undisciplined personal fouls and acting out and how these were rare with Lewis and Reed on the roster.

I adjusted your post . . . just saying . . . when one looks at Eli's career outside 8 games in Jan/Feb 2008 and 2012, what do you have? . . . is it really any more or less impressive than Flacco? . . .

And I am sure there are some on this board who like Eli and even think he is Elite and so on . . . if one wants to look at Eli in a given light then one should not view Flacco any different . . .

This is not necessarily a direct response to you Jvan, just a general shout out to those on this board who hold Eli in high regard but might think Flacco is less than stellar  . . . .

EDIT: There are some in the media thinking Eli will be in the HOF and many placing him on the bubble . . .  

Eli is liked as Peytons kid brother and for those Pat haters thaat love his 2 SB victories Vs Pats, save for those 2 post seasons he is inconsistent except at showing Peyton 2 rings at family dinner

have a good daay, already way to long this am here

He did go with Jim Caldwell to the SB last year.

Look, here's the bottom line. The game was a trap game for the Ravens that never should have been played in Denver. This wasn't the fault of the Orioles, but the NFL, but that's just the way it was. No one is comparing Manning and Flacco at this point in their careers except for anti-Raven sorts. Flacco didn't play horrible last night, but his receivers did. Stokely and Clark looked old. Dickson dropped four passes and Clark two, one that should have been a touchdown. Joe could have played better, but we got too far behind in the third quarter. The key play was the non-call on Welker's dropped pass that apparently was not shown in the coaches booth by NBC, according to reporters in Baltimore, and a bum special team's guy wiping out Jacoby Jones. We should have been up 21-14 at half, and the one Denver touchdown should have been a punt, but that's the way it goes. The call wasn't made, and the Broncos got the momentum. As for the Raven's secondary, except for Webb, the report card is an F. The two safeties Huff and Ihedigbo were dreadful. Time to put in Matt Elam for one of them. Jimmy Smith and Corey Graham were torched.

oh boo hoo.. go back to your shanty. I've never seen a post so full of poo.

Last I checked, football is a team sport.

So everyone is giving up on the Ravens after an embarrassing loss to Denver....no way they make the postseason and the Broncos will win the Super Bowl...

Oh wait, this is 2013 not 2012. Just had a major deja vu there. haha

No , not all, if realistic some leader on DE maybe Doomervile will rally troops like Lewis when things bad, also 1st game for many rookies and additions, need to get some chemistry, lost a wr & RT , Reed knew how to misdirect QB's 

give team time, but was a surprisingly bad loss no matter what reason

Look, here's the bottom line. The game was a trap game for the Ravens that never should have been played in Denver. This wasn't the fault of the Orioles, but the NFL, but that's just the way it was.  No one is comparing Manning and Flacco at this point in their careers except for anti-Raven sorts. Flacco didn't play horrible last night, but his receivers did. Stokely and Clark looked old. Dickson dropped four passes and Clark two, one that should have been a touchdown. Joe could have played better, but we got too far behind in the third quarter. The key play was the non-call on Welker's dropped pass that apparently was not shown in the coaches booth by NBC, according to reporters in Baltimore, and a bum special team's guy wiping out Jacoby Jones. We should have been up 21-14 at half, and the one Denver touchdown should have been a punt, but that's the way it goes. The call wasn't made, and the Broncos got the momentum.  As for the Raven's secondary, except for Webb, the report card is an F. The two safeties Huff and Ihedigbo were dreadful. Time to put in Matt Elam for one of them. Jimmy Smith and Corey Graham were torched. 

The Raven's were given the choice of 3 teams. (Chi, Den, Pitt) They chose Denver because they didn't want to play Denver later in the season when they were in mid-season form (like last year). They thought if they played them early they would catch them before they were clicking. Honestly it worked for a half...but they wanted that game...and they got it. As for everything else...i agree with you. Imagine how bad the team would have been if they let him go and were starting Geno Smith?? He may not be worth that money...but sometimes you pay a premium for what the guy means to you. I will say half those losses are on Peyton...he has had some brutal games early in his career against elite defenses (most playoff teams are top 10 defenses and most of those were 3-4 that he has more issues with). But several were games the whole team let get away...especially when we couldn't stop anyone or was turning it over. There has been many games like last year against Baltimore and in 2010 when Peyton lead a game winning drive in the final few minutes to only have his defense/coach do stupid things and give away the game. Peyton hasn't had a lot of luck in the playoffs....no teammates making catches with their helmets or hail mary's but I agree...he hasn't played the same in the playoffs against the toughest of opponents...he usually feasts on weak defenses during the season...like most qbs.