Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

claimed da'Rick rogers

Coltivated

I like the move, but why havent we signed kerwynn to the ps? I dont get how you can go from working with the first team in camp to being released

I like the move, but why havent we signed kerwynn to the ps? I dont get how you can go from working with the first team in camp to being released

Got to clear waivers first

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Rogers has Reggie Wayne potential if he can keep his head on straight.  And that is the big question.

If he can be focused, I think it's a major talent upgrade to the roster at wholesale cost and no risk.

If he sucks he gets cut.

Awesome huge upside if he can stay out of trouble. i wanted us to Draft him. Could be a solid number two with one potential

I am kind of scratching my head as to why we would pick up Rogers over Chris Harper, who was obviously there for us as he fell all the way to the 49ers on waivers.

Maybe Harper really does suck and the 49ers picked him up to get some information from him. But they give up on a prospect like Cam Johnson (to make roster room) just to get some info?  Bizarro World.

I am kind of scratching my head as to why we would pick up Rogers over Chris Harper, who was obviously there for us as he fell all the way to the 49ers on waivers.

Maybe Harper really does suck and the 49ers picked him up to get some information from him. But they give up on a prospect like Cam Johnson (to make roster room) just to get some info?  Bizarro World.

If we picked Harper up off of waivers, he would have gone to the 53 man roster. 

Mr Rogers, I heard u got some talent, but talent alone doesn´t make an NFL Player (at least not for long) so shut up, work hard and learn to be a pro from the pro´s pro Mr Wayne.

I like the move... I think we´re a pretty good environment for a guy like Da´Rick... hopefully it pans out.

As Dustin mentioned, we would've had to clear up a roster spot for Harper and couldn't put him straight on the PS.

Also, the 49ers had 5 OLB's on the 53 man roster. I think using Johnson for trade bait was always a possibility for them.

They had to drop somebody when they picked up Harper, and there's a good chance that person was going to be Johnson just because of the numbers game. So, they shopped Johnson for what they could get instead of cutting him for nothing. Hopefully this means we got a good deal on him since they 49ers were what we'd call "motivated sellers".

We're not night and day different from every other single NFL team, but every team has it's own unique locker room culture and leadership in place, and that has a big impact on on-field performance. If I were drafting a young WR, I'd feel a lot better having Reggie Wayne to mentor him than having Stevie Johnson do the job. 

Fair enough.  I can accept that explanation.  But there are too many on this board who believe that just signing with Indy cures the ills of any young, troubled NFL player when the fact is that most lockerrooms and teams all have veteran leaders and most knuckleheads remain exactly that. 

If we picked Harper up off of waivers, he would have gone to the 53 man roster. 

That was not my point. Rogers was not drafted and could not make the Bills 53. If another team wanted him right now then they could still claim him off of our PS. 

Harper was drafted and another team (49ers) wanted him so much it gave up on a good prospect to make room on its 53. 

Evidently Harper is good enough to give up on a decent prospect like Cam Johnson. Harper can also return kicks, so we could have picked him up and cut Reed. The circle does not complete itself. 

Where is Cam Johnson going to play for us? Do we really need 5 OLB's? 

Sounds like the 49ers got the best of the situation to me. 

As Dustin mentioned, we would've had to clear up a roster spot for Harper and couldn't put him straight on the PS.

Also, the 49ers had 5 OLB's on the 53 man roster. I think using Johnson for trade bait was always a possibility for them.

They had to drop somebody when they picked up Harper, and there's a good chance that person was going to be Johnson just because of the numbers game. So, they shopped Johnson for what they could get instead of cutting him for nothing. Hopefully this means we got a good deal on him since they 49ers were what we'd call "motivated sellers".

Any football fan knows how the PS works. Thanks anyway. 

Again, that is not my point.

Harper is a return man too so that spot would not be tough to find - Reed.

We took the problem away from SF and put the monkey on our own back. Now we have 5 OLB's and 5 ILB's.

Fair enough.  I can accept that explanation.  But there are too many on this board who believe that just signing with Indy cures the ills of any young, troubled NFL player when the fact is that most lockerrooms and teams all have veteran leaders and most knuckleheads remain exactly that. 

I'm out of likes for the day, but I do like and agree with your statement here. There's no magic fix for troubled players- otherwise, in true NFL style, information about it would leak and all 32 teams would be doing the same thing the next day.

Some players do turn it around, but ultimately, that choice lies with the knucklehead in question. I think being in Indy will help make that transition easier if Da'Rick wants to put his career back together, and we've got a positive atmosphere to encourage that. If he's not ready, we're going to be too concerned with winning football games to waste our time convincing him why he should change. That's got to come from within.

Any football fan knows how the PS works. Thanks anyway. 

Again, that is not my point.

Harper is a return man too so that spot would not be tough to find - Reed.

We took the problem away from SF and put the monkey on our own back. Now we have 5 OLB's and 5 ILB's.

Ah, I gotcha now. 

What can I say- Grigson really, really likes Johnson. Otherwise, Harper would've made more sense for the numbers breakdown. And, safe to say, it's an LB that's going to be on the chopping block.

Ah, I gotcha now. 

What can I say- Grigson really, really likes Johnson. Otherwise, Harper would've made more sense for the numbers breakdown. And, safe to say, it's an LB that's going to be on the chopping block.

I am sure hope our moves will all make sense once the dust settles, but it is clear as mud right now.

Pagano and the boys better set him straight. The kid can be, if he reaches his potential, a #3 receiver in the NFL.

The practice squad is a good start. Let's see where it goes from here.

If he gets his act together and listens to wat Reggie says and just show his true potential it would be more then a #3 IMO cause he has the talent of a #1 or 2 from his college career

That was not my point. Rogers was not drafted and could not make the Bills 53. If another team wanted him right now then they could still claim him off of our PS. 

Harper was drafted and another team (49ers) wanted him so much it gave up on a good prospect to make room on its 53. 

Evidently Harper is good enough to give up on a decent prospect like Cam Johnson. Harper can also return kicks, so we could have picked him up and cut Reed. The circle does not complete itself. 

Where is Cam Johnson going to play for us? Do we really need 5 OLB's? 

Sounds like the 49ers got the best of the situation to me. 

Couldn't it just be that we like Reed better, or we're just not that high on Harper?

Mr Rogers, I heard u got some talent, but talent alone doesn´t make an NFL Player (at least not for long) so shut up, work hard and learn to be a pro from the pro´s pro Mr Wayne.

I like the move... I think we´re a pretty good environment for a guy like Da´Rick... hopefully it pans out.

Brazill had the same environment and mentors and it didn't stop him from offending again...

Rogers needs to make major changes and it will be tough for him.

Pagano and the boys better set him straight. The kid can be, if he reaches his potential, a #3 receiver in the NFL. 

The practice squad is a good start. Let's see where it goes from here.

I think, if he reaches his full potential, he can become a very solid #2, maybe even a #1 -- he was arguably the most physically gifted WR from this past year's class -- and before he got to the point where he had to go to Tenn. Tech, he was lighting up big-time programs as a sophomore.  Not sure where, why, or how it went wrong for him -- but I would always say we have to keep in mind that he was a sophomore in college.  College athletes get put under a lot of scrutiny, moreso than most other college kids, and it is very easy to make a few small mistakes in college and have them spiral into something bigger.  There are tons of college students that binge drink, get in fights, smoke pot, etc. etc. that we never hear anything about because they are not on the 'athlete radar' -- not that it is right, but a lot of these kids finish college and go on to have very successful careers (a lot of them don't finish college, or finish college and continue to be screw-ups).... If Da'Rick Rogers was a few years into the league and was still making huge mistakes, then I'd say 'yea, this guy is a p.o.s.' -- but for now, on the PS, he is nothing but potential.  A lot of 21, 22, 23 year old kids need a mentor -- I am up for giving him the chance, on a very tight leash, to see if we can't work on helping him adjust his attitude a bit and seeing if we can't help him turn it around.  The minute he starts becoming a cancer to the lockerroom, or proves that he is not going to better his attitude, we can cut ties and it will have cost us little.  If we get lucky, he turns it around and can be a future stud for us.  The thing I like about our lockerroom compared to others is that we do have very solid veteran leadership (I do not think the Bills can even try to match us there) -- between Wayne, Mathis, Bethea, Redding, Franklin, and with the maturity of some of our young players (mainly Luck) -- I don't think we run as much of a risk of being subject to having a young 'cancer' effect us -- I think if this guy comes in and is acting like a clown, Wayne will laugh in his face and we can part ways.  Hopefully, he comes in, and these guys can mentor him with the motto 'you have the sky as the limit with your skills, now this is how you need to go about being a professional -- work ethic, mentality, soberity, etc..."  .. I think this is close to a no-lose for us, worst case is we see something obvious enough early on and we tell him to hit the road.. best case is, we work with him to get his mental state improved and we see him as a big-play contributor for us down the road.

I don't disagree that the talent is there -- but I am not sure that showing a highlight of him beating Sheldon Price in pre-season is the best way to argue that... lol.

I think, if he reaches his full potential, he can become a very solid #2, maybe even a #1 -- he was arguably the most physically gifted WR from this past year's class -- and before he got to the point where he had to go to Tenn. Tech, he was lighting up big-time programs as a sophomore.  Not sure where, why, or how it went wrong for him -- but I would always say we have to keep in mind that he was a sophomore in college.  College athletes get put under a lot of scrutiny, moreso than most other college kids, and it is very easy to make a few small mistakes in college and have them spiral into something bigger.  There are tons of college students that binge drink, get in fights, smoke pot, etc. etc. that we never hear anything about because they are not on the 'athlete radar' -- not that it is right, but a lot of these kids finish college and go on to have very successful careers (a lot of them don't finish college, or finish college and continue to be screw-ups).... If Da'Rick Rogers was a few years into the league and was still making huge mistakes, then I'd say 'yea, this guy is a p.o.s.' -- but for now, on the PS, he is nothing but potential.  A lot of 21, 22, 23 year old kids need a mentor -- I am up for giving him the chance, on a very tight leash, to see if we can't work on helping him adjust his attitude a bit and seeing if we can't help him turn it around.  The minute he starts becoming a cancer to the lockerroom, or proves that he is not going to better his attitude, we can cut ties and it will have cost us little.  If we get lucky, he turns it around and can be a future stud for us.  The thing I like about our lockerroom compared to others is that we do have very solid veteran leadership (I do not think the Bills can even try to match us there) -- between Wayne, Mathis, Bethea, Redding, Franklin, and with the maturity of some of our young players (mainly Luck) -- I don't think we run as much of a risk of being subject to having a young 'cancer' effect us -- I think if this guy comes in and is acting like a clown, Wayne will laugh in his face and we can part ways.  Hopefully, he comes in, and these guys can mentor him with the motto 'you have the sky as the limit with your skills, now this is how you need to go about being a professional -- work ethic, mentality, soberity, etc..."  .. I think this is close to a no-lose for us, worst case is we see something obvious enough early on and we tell him to hit the road.. best case is, we work with him to get his mental state improved and we see him as a big-play contributor for us down the road.

I don't disagree that the talent is there -- but I am not sure that showing a highlight of him beating Sheldon Price in pre-season is the best way to argue that... lol.

Hey it was all I had from the NFL!  I'm sure there will be more

Low risk/High reward. The talent is their, First play he takes off like he did on that fumble recovery I'd send him packin, Thats not a lack of awareness thats just plain quitting BUT hopefully being on a WINNING team and the atmosphere of preaching family and everyone being there for each other will be positive for this kid if not the kid could soon find himself playing in the arena league....if he is so lucky

he is a nutcase plain and simple he wont ever understand it i get the point of getting him on the ps but im not expecting anything from him.

Of course he's had problems in the past, but to say he'll "never understand it" is a bit ignorant.

There have been quite a few stories of guys like him turning it around.

Great signing, Rogers is a physical WR  with a great combination of size and speed and routinely comes down with tough catches. Theirs not a better mentor in the NFL for WR's then Reggie Wayne,  if Rogers is willing to listen and learn from one of the best then i think he could be a great WR. Also David Reed is dealing with a concussion if he can't go and Rogers has a good week in practice he could be the 5th WR on depth chart.

Sounds like a troubled kid.

From Buffalo Rumblings:

"Former Bills GM Buddy Nix famously told reporters that the Bills had an early-round grade on Rogers' physical talents entering the 2013 NFL Draft process, but the former Tennessee star went undrafted due to off-field issues. Those apparently continued to plague Rogers in camp this summer, as he was remarkably inconsistent, in and out of the coaching staff's doghouse and saw a rapid decline in his playing time as a result. He did not play at all on offense in Saturday's loss to Washington."

sounds like aaron hernandez

sounds like aaron hernandez

Ok, let's not go too far. Comparing a guy with some off the field problems to a charged murderer is completely different.

Hernandez is a one in a million case, and Rogers doesn't have the same impact on the Colts than Hernandez did on the Pats.

Ok, let's not go too far. Comparing a guy with some off the field problems to a charged murderer is completely different.

Hernandez is a one in a million case, and Rogers doesn't have the same impact on the Colts than Hernandez did on the Pats.

Sounds like a weed smoker....a behavior problem....same warning signs...

I'd prefer we not go out of our way to get suspension candidates