Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Most hated Ex-Colt?

BronxColtNYC

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's great you are a long time Colts fan. I would have done the same thing as Bob if I had my state governor breathing down my neck to take my team from me.

I don't think Colts Fan 4 Life was trying to do anything but make a comment about him being a Colts fan. He was not making any excuses or pointing any fingers at anyone. He is a rare Colts fan that stayed one after the relocation. His comment showed class and was right to the point. There is no need to rehash something that happened in 1984. In 2 years the Colts will be in Indy longer than they were in Baltimore. Robert Irsay has been dead for quite awhile now. The Colts have become one of the top 10 NFL teams in the country and Baltimore has the Ravens. If you look at the big picture hashing up old memories is useless. 

I didn't like the way he jumped ship. From everything I read, the contract we offered him and the contract he accepted from Washington were very similar. I highly doubt that if he played for anyone else early in his career, he would have gotten the chances he did here. PG was one of my favorite players, and it just kind of stunk when he left.

That's fair enough. I guess he just thought he could further his career more elsewhere. Especially after a 2-14 season. Can you really begrudge him that?

He seemed to be somewhat of a fan favourite so it surprised me when i saw his name mentioned in this thread.

Easily Donald Brown....Not only did Clay Matthews go one pick before him who i wanted but then Polian doesn't draft Hakeem Nicks. I still remember vividly it was the worst draft day i've ever been apart of. I knew Brown wasn't gonna be good but Polian still drafted him only because he had speed but he should have drafted Nicks.

I don't hate anyone...   Life's too short, and Hate is such a undesirable trait.

I think he means "sports hate." You know, like how we HATE the Patriots but we don't like wish them personal harm or anything.. at least I don't.

Oh, and to answer the question, I agree with those who have mentioned Hank Baskett's name.. and coming in a close second is Caldwell.. for throwing a perfect regular season in the garbage.. I know, I know, we didn't win the Super Bowl anyway.. Well, who knows, if we had a perfectb reg season then maybe we would have won the Super Bowl, or maybe we wouldn't have. Either way, to not go for it is WEAK, I don't care what your reasoning is. Also, I know Irsay probably had something to do with that decision.. well, he's not an EX-colt now is he? ;)

I love Indy and the town, the fans, and the people, so please don't take this the wrong way..Bob Irsay was my most disliked Colt ever, for taking the Colts away from Baltimore, because it was close to me at the time, it was the only "local" team i supported, and having to wait forever to get my season ticket money back, when he sneaked out of town. I never blamed the Colts for moving..they were told by the owner to move, and they did..I still followed my team, and it didn't matter where they played..they were the Colts I grew up to love, and still love to this day

I only ever got to see 1 home game in Indy, and I love the town, the people, the atmosphere..and I'm glad the Colts are thriving in a great city..and as my Forum name says..Colt Fan 4 Life

Bob Irsay : No comment

Move from Baltimore : No Comment

Eminent Domain : No Comment

Colts Fan til 83 

That's fair enough. I guess he just thought he could further his career more elsewhere. Especially after a 2-14 season. Can you really begrudge him that?

He seemed to be somewhat of a fan favourite so it surprised me when i saw his name mentioned in this thread.

I don't begrudge him, but he could have signed a 1 year deal or something. When he signed with Washington, we were pretty much guaranteed Luck or Manning. Wasn't Grossman still Washington's QB? I would argue that it would have been more of a sure thing if he stayed in Indianapolis.

I don't begrudge him, but he could have signed a 1 year deal or something. When he signed with Washington, we were pretty much guaranteed Luck or Manning. Wasn't Grossman still Washington's QB? I would argue that it would have been more of a sure thing if he stayed in Indianapolis.

The Skins had already traded up to have the number two pick by the time he signed with the Redskins so he knew he was going to have Luck or RG3 in Washington too.  Plus the Redskins gave him so much money he would have been a fool to walk away from it. 

I love Indy and the town, the fans, and the people, so please don't take this the wrong way..Bob Irsay was my most disliked Colt ever, for taking the Colts away from Baltimore, because it was close to me at the time, it was the only "local" team i supported, and having to wait forever to get my season ticket money back, when he sneaked out of town. I never blamed the Colts for moving..they were told by the owner to move, and they did..I still followed my team, and it didn't matter where they played..they were the Colts I grew up to love, and still love to this day

I only ever got to see 1 home game in Indy, and I love the town, the people, the atmosphere..and I'm glad the Colts are thriving in a great city..and as my Forum name says..Colt Fan 4 Life

I love this post.  It is nice to hear someone they are a Colts fan.  City is irrelevant.  I have been a Colts fan since they were in Baltimore and I have never lived close to either city.

I do think Bob Irsay should rank high for many reasons  Even if you through out the move, he was just a bad owner.  When Joe Thomas rebuilt the Colts in such a short time, that was a loaded, talented young team.  Bert Jones, Lydell Mitchell, Roger Carr, The Sack Pack, etc.  Yet, they were together for such a short of time.  Firing Marchibroda then bringing him back a week later.  He just did really bizarre things.   Good business guy but terrible NFL owner.  One has to wonder what the Colts would have been like had he lived another 10 years.  Would Manning have lasted long?  Bill Polian would have never been hired.  He just had a way of destroying teams right when they seemed to be getting good.

I love this post.  It is nice to hear someone they are a Colts fan.  City is irrelevant.  I have been a Colts fan since they were in Baltimore and I have never lived close to either city.

I do think Bob Irsay should rank high for many reasons  Even if you through out the move, he was just a bad owner.  When Joe Thomas rebuilt the Colts in such a short time, that was a loaded, talented young team.  Bert Jones, Lydell Mitchell, Roger Carr, The Sack Pack, etc.  Yet, they were together for such a short of time.  Firing Marchibroda then bringing him back a week later.  He just did really bizarre things.   Good business guy but terrible NFL owner.  One has to wonder what the Colts would have been like had he lived another 10 years.  Would Manning have lasted long?  Bill Polian would have never been hired.  He just had a way of destroying teams right when they seemed to be getting good.

City is irrelevant : No comment

Been a Colts fan since they were in Baltimore and I have never lived close to the city : No comment

Even if you throw out the move, he was a bad owner: True

Firing Marchibroada and bringing him back a week later, he really did bizarre things : True

Good business guy but terrible NFL owner : True

Colts would have been terrible had he lived another ten years : True

Old man Manning might have pulled an Elway with Peyton if Bob Irsay had lived : Possibly

Bill Polian would have never been hired:  Probably. Jimmy might have still been GM

He had a way of destroying teams right when they seemed to be getting good: False, he destroyed all teams. 

City is irrelevant : No comment

Been a Colts fan since they were in Baltimore and I have never lived close to the city : No comment

Even if you throw out the move, he was a bad owner: True

Firing Marchibroada and bringing him back a week later, he really did bizarre things : True

Good business guy but terrible NFL owner : True

Colts would have been terrible had he lived another ten years : True

Old man Manning might have pulled an Elway with Peyton if Bob Irsay had lived : Possibly

Bill Polian would have never been hired:  Probably. Jimmy might have still been GM

He had a way of destroying teams right when they seemed to be getting good: False, he destroyed all teams. 

The City is the only relevant part for me  - 

When the Mayflowers arrived in Indianapolis I became a Colts fan , I was never a Baltimore Colts fan  but I have tried to read as much as possible about the problems between the City & Colts ownership .

The politicians & a majority of Baltimore residents were against using public funds for improvements on a stadium that was not fit to play in .

IMO its like Vegas what happened there in Baltimore stays there , Simply put theres 2 sides to every story  Eminent Domain was the last straw & Whomever came up with that stupid idea is what created :colts:  All I can say to those voting against the Colts & the politicians who created the atmosphere that forced the team out is Thank You . :applause:  Good job, your short sidedness tramautized countless Baltimore Colts fans for generations to come .

I remember Manning even referenced Bob Irsay as a jerk...and i don't think he ever met him. The man has quite the reputation.

Not a player, but it got to the point where I could not stand the Cover 2 (Tampa 2) anymore. It was exciting at first; however, after years of watching the Colts defense give up an unbelievable high number of 3rd down conversions and games where opposing running backs had career days, it was time for that scheme to go. I will not miss watching our defensive backs make the majority of the tackles and using third string defensive backs by week 16, because they could not take the beating. 

Not a player, but it got to the point where I could not stand the Cover 2 (Tampa 2) anymore. It was exciting at first; however, after years of watching the Colts defense give up an unbelievable high number of 3rd down conversions and games where opposing running backs had career days, it was time for that scheme to go. I will not miss watching our defensive backs make the majority of the tackles and using third string defensive backs by week 16, because they could not take the beating.

I pray that I never hear the words "bend but don't break" again, or 'small and fast defense'.

The Tampa 2 was a massive failure in Indianapolis. Thankfully in the 8 or 9 seasons that Dungy was here they were able to put it together for a single stretch that brought us a Lombardi.

Easily Donald Brown....Not only did Clay Matthews go one pick before him who i wanted but then Polian doesn't draft Hakeem Nicks. I still remember vividly it was the worst draft day i've ever been apart of. I knew Brown wasn't gonna be good but Polian still drafted him only because he had speed but he should have drafted Nicks.

So you hate Donald brown for something he had no control of? Wouldn't it make just a little bit more sense to hate polian?