Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

same old D same OLine

ruf

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In that same train of thought. Our d is not reacting to what is in front of them. My favourite part of today is seeing that pat mckafee Is better than every.

Also is dhb injured?

I would just attribute the defense to just needing to get their feet under them again and get some contact. If you're seeing the same problems by the 3rd and 4th game, then there's potential for trouble.

As for DHB, he was in but was a non factor. As to his health, someone else here probably knows that better than me.

I understand this is only preseason.. but I don't understand how we can talk about "no game plan" need time to work together etc. well doesn't the bills need the same?

and playing at home like this? it was the bills first preseason game also with 2 rookie qb's. this is not something to take lightly. I wish it were but there is something very wrong with this.

I mentioned in another thread that I wasn't sold on DHB. He was outperformed by several other WRs in Oakland in the same situation he was in. If he had been a 3rd round pick or lower, I wouldn't think anything of it. So I haven't really bought into any of the hype here surrounding him.

If I'm wrong, groovy and good for the Colts. :)

I understand this is only preseason.. but I don't understand how we can talk about "no game plan" need time to work together etc. well doesn't the bills need the same?

and playing at home like this? it was the bills first preseason game also with 2 rookie qb's. this is not something to take lightly. I wish it were but there is something very wrong with this.

same reasons you don't take a 4-0 preseason as an indicator of success. It doesn't take much to get beat in the NFL. For example, the colts starting LT (Costanzo was it?) got beat two plays in a row by inside moves. On the surface, people are sitting here saying the OL sucks and nothing has gotten better. The reason he was beat? He got too upright and lost leverage. Very easy to fix, but very damaging when it happens. So while it might look like the colts were whipped up and down the field, often times its just a small tweak here and there. Gameplan has nothing to do with that stuff. When you have a lot of bubble players and roster hopefuls on the field, any little misstep gets amplified if someone else executed properly.

Just like if the offense or defense had a bad day of practice.

The defensive lined played great all throughout the game. All of the NT's Franklin,Tevasue,Chapman, and even heard weren't being moved made it easier for our LB's to make plays. Lawrence Guy was the DE that stood out to me he was great in the run game and provided solid pass rushing. Othen then the Castonzo sack i thought the starting o-line played well even though that play was a miscue between Luck and Satele.

I just watched the tape. Pausing and in slow motion.

On the very first play of the game, Luck drops back to pass...

And Samson Satele totally whiffs against the DT.

Luck hurries, and does manage to complete a short pass.

But Satele missing his block is unacceptable. Just like so many times last year.

It appears nothing has changed.

I heard all the apologists give the excuses that Satele was playing hurt throughout the last season, and just give him another chance, he will improve.

But man. I am worried the truth is... Satele stinks.

Atlanta lost 34-10 in dominating fashion, you think they are worried about a preseason game? Preseason is about evaluating your backups and bubble players nothing more nothing less(with exception of the 3rd preseason game)

Man you must have been pulling your hair out during the preseason in the Manning years

I'm not sure a few on this forum have ever watched a preseason game in their lives. To be upset at the way they played today is completely nonsensical. My God, for yrs, we looked like a powder puff Jr. league in the preseason and then played lights out in the real season. Preseason is for evaluating players and not trying to win the game. I do agree on one point...our special teams were just God awful, but they will improve.

I'm not sure a few on this forum have ever watched a preseason game in their lives. To be upset at the way they played today is completely nonsensical. My God, for yrs, we looked like a powder puff Jr. league in the preseason and then played lights out in the real season. Preseason is for evaluating players and not trying to win the game. I do agree on one point...our special teams were just God awful, but they will improve.

You just have to laugh.  I re-watched our first team and we won that part of the game.  If you want to extrapolate that, we win about 40-12.  And it still wouldn't matter since it's a preseason game.

You just have to laugh.  I re-watched our first team and we won that part of the game.  If you want to extrapolate that, we win about 40-12.  And it still wouldn't matter since it's a preseason game.

About the only things that really concerned me from the first team were the first couple of run plays from the Bills but I think some simple real game planning would have prevented that and clearly they don't game plan for a pre-season game outside of the third one.  The other was Fleener's fumble, that was just a product of not covering up the ball which is a something you learn well before you ever get to the NFL.  With that said some work in the film room and on his part will fix that. 

Totally agree. IMO the starters looked pretty good and we were missing some key players on defense. I thought the O-line done much better and the receivers let us down with a few drops that should have easily been catches. Really the only thing that bothers me at all(and it wasn't very much) was the special teams play. We looked slow and lackadaisical.

Guest TeamLoloJones

About the only things that really concerned me from the first team were the first couple of run plays from the Bills but I think some simple real game planning would have prevented that and clearly they don't game plan for a pre-season game outside of the third one.  The other was Fleener's fumble, that was just a product of not covering up the ball which is a something you learn well before you ever get to the NFL.  With that said some work in the film room and on his part will fix that. 

I agree, but Spiller would not have gotten those yards had Landry been playing.  People overthink preseason too much. The Cardinals just shutout the Packers...that ain't happenin in the reg season.

I just watched the tape. Pausing and in slow motion.

On the very first play of the game, Luck drops back to pass...

And Samson Satele totally whiffs against the DT.

Luck hurries, and does manage to complete a short pass.

But Satele missing his block is unacceptable. Just like so many times last year.

It appears nothing has changed.

I heard all the apologists give the excuses that Satele was playing hurt throughout the last season, and just give him another chance, he will improve.

But man. I am worried the truth is... Satele stinks.

Keep in mind that we just drafted an OG that is injured.  Yeah, Satele isn't that great, but he didn't play bad.  The whiff against the DT was partially in part because (as another commenter put it), I think that Thomas was supposed to give block support before he released to the next level.  Thomas didn't block anyone on that play. 

I agree, but Spiller would not have gotten those yards had Landry been playing.  People overthink preseason too much. The Cardinals just shutout the Packers...that ain't happenin in the reg season.

On top of that this is a fan base of a team that for years would go 0-4 or 1-3 in the pre-season and then turn around and rip off at least 12 wins, you would think we would know better than anyone how meaningless the pre-season is when it comes to determining regular season success. 

Guest TeamLoloJones

On top of that this is a fan base of a team that for years would go 0-4 or 1-3 in the pre-season and then turn around and rip off at least 12 wins, you would think we would know better than anyone how meaningless the pre-season is when it comes to determining regular season success. 

I think it's less about the loss and more about the total lack of quality play...but I'm with ya.

I think it's less about the loss and more about the total lack of quality play...but I'm with ya.

Again we saw the samething we saw today for years during the Manning era including the lack of quality of play.  It's pre-season.  The Colts seemed much more interested in trying new things today (which is what the pre-season is for) than really focusing on what the Bills were doing.  Like has been said by you and others, it's the pre-season let's all keep our cool.  The Bills players who wont be in football in about a month pounded our players who wont be in football in about a month.  Meh.  Our starters beat their starters, I would much rather have the later go in my favor. 

My only real concern as of right now is the special teams, specifically the kickoff coverage. There's no "vanilla" looks or anything else you can use for an excuse on special teams even in the pre season. You run, maintain your lane, break down and tackle. Simple as that. We were unable to do any of that except for on one kickoff. We need to get it fixed before the pre season is over.

Lack of quality play from whom?  Because yeah, there was some mistakes made, but other than Coby Fleener's fumble, they weren't mistakes that really hurt.  It's just the pre-season.  Is there some kinks to wrk out?  Absolutely, but for the first team reps, there was much more positive than there was negative.

OL had a few misses but was positive and certainly looks improved from last year.  The sack Luck is apparently taking the blame for. 

Running game - Difficult to say, since we dont' have Bradshaw in.  So we don't know what kind of rotation and packages we'll have and who will be used in what situations.  So I'd reserve judgment for that one.  Thought K. Williams looked good.  I think it was his first run where he actually ahd room, got to the second level quick, made a 2 guys miss and picked up another yard or two.  But I'd like to see him take first team reps soon

Passing game - I don't think anyone can complain here.  Luck did pretty muc hwhat he wanted.  My biggest issue with him last year was ball placement (ie throwing the ball a foot too high on a seam).  I thought he looked much better from last year.  And the only throw that scared me was the incomplete to Reggie Wayne.  And even then, it was either that it was going to be incomplete or Reggie makes the play.  Not a bad risk.

Defense - its hard to give a full analysis on the secondary given how the camera only follows the ball, so you reading zones and man schemes and placing fault is a bit difficult.  But no big pass plays.  Run defense other than the first two place looked good.  I think that I'm not quite sold on Erik Walden yet.  Against the run, he's decnt so far.  I haven't seen him do much of anything in the pass game yet.  But again, it's pre-season.

I'd say out of our first team reps, we probably graded out somewhere around a B, give or take the +/-.  Special Teams?  Well, you saw the game.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Lack of quality play from whom?  Because yeah, there was some mistakes made, but other than Coby Fleener's fumble, they weren't mistakes that really hurt.  It's just the pre-season.  Is there some kinks to wrk out?  Absolutely, but for the first team reps, there was much more positive than there was negative.

OL had a few misses but was positive and certainly looks improved from last year.  The sack Luck is apparently taking the blame for. 

Running game - Difficult to say, since we dont' have Bradshaw in.  So we don't know what kind of rotation and packages we'll have and who will be used in what situations.  So I'd reserve judgment for that one.  Thought K. Williams looked good.  I think it was his first run where he actually ahd room, got to the second level quick, made a 2 guys miss and picked up another yard or two.  But I'd like to see him take first team reps soon

Passing game - I don't think anyone can complain here.  Luck did pretty muc hwhat he wanted.  My biggest issue with him last year was ball placement (ie throwing the ball a foot too high on a seam).  I thought he looked much better from last year.  And the only throw that scared me was the incomplete to Reggie Wayne.  And even then, it was either that it was going to be incomplete or Reggie makes the play.  Not a bad risk.

Defense - its hard to give a full analysis on the secondary given how the camera only follows the ball, so you reading zones and man schemes and placing fault is a bit difficult.  But no big pass plays.  Run defense other than the first two place looked good.  I think that I'm not quite sold on Erik Walden yet.  Against the run, he's decnt so far.  I haven't seen him do much of anything in the pass game yet.  But again, it's pre-season.

I'd say out of our first team reps, we probably graded out somewhere around a B, give or take the +/-.  Special Teams?  Well, you saw the game.

I take it you didn't watch the game past the first quarter...

I take it you didn't watch the game past the first quarter...

No, I did.  But I don't think you understood my post.  I very clearly said, "for the first team reps, there was much more positive than there was negative" and then talked specifically about the first team except for Williams and then very clearly said "out of our first team reps, we probably graded out..." 

Backups didn't look good, but it's the backups in a fake game.  If you are looking for quality football, you shouldn't be watching anything past the first quarter in the pre-season.  They are back ups for a reason.

Guest TeamLoloJones

No, I did.  But I don't think you understood my post.  I very clearly said, "for the first team reps, there was much more positive than there was negative" and then talked specifically about the first team except for Williams and then very clearly said "out of our first team reps, we probably graded out..." 

Backups didn't look good, but it's the backups in a fake game.  If you are looking for quality football, you shouldn't be watching anything past the first quarter in the pre-season.  They are back ups for a reason.

I thought the first string out played Buffalo quite easily...I think we agree for the most part.

I saw enough of the offense today to conclude that they will make some noise this year with all of our pieces in place

and a full game plan. I'm not too worried about them, although I would like to see Bradshaw in there some. Between him,

Ballard, Williams, and Donald Brown I think we'll be okay.

Yeah, the majority of the game was primarily just unknowns fighting for a roster spot.  This game has no indication on how the Colts will play but it seems like people are already worried.  Colts have been losing preseason games for years upon years.

Dancing Monkey!!!!!!!!!!!

:monkeydance:

Bam!

No reason at all to be like :Nuke:

People will always be critical of their team unfortunately even if it is just preseason.

I believe Harvey and Lefeged would have made a difference on ST.

I don't think either of those dudes would have done much against Goodwin. The dude runs a 4.2

Cassius Vaughn runs about a 4.3 and he didn't have a chance to run down Goodwin.

I really thought our backups would be better this year. does anyone who is watching this game see anything positive to report.

I'm not seeing any of the names on the D side making plays that I thought would be so much improvement.

Are we getting any pass rush?

Among DBs a couple of bright spots, Howell and Chapman, among a sea of awful...Gordy, Green, Swanson, Price can catch the next bus out of town.

Hilton always shows something. Arians said he could be a number one and I have always believed it. His diving catch reminds me of Marvin's great diving catch years ago. When the real games start, the true stars will take over games and we will be fine.