Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

same old D same OLine

ruf

What I really want to know is why the Colts have never in my 13 years of watching the Colts had a returner like a Goodwin or somebody that has "Get Somewhere Shoes" on?

Only 13 years?

We not only didn't set the lanes, we cleared them when they returned.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, and most of his completions came against the 2nd and 3rd strings in the latter part of the first half.  We took our starters out much sooner than they did.  Also, it's preseason.  We're playing a very passive defense, and they're getting a lot of short completions.  C'mon man...

I'm glad someone else caught that.  I think for the last half of the first quarter and all of the second quarter it was the Bills #1's against Colts #2's.  And in the 3rd quarter it was Bill's #2's against Colts #3's etc etc.  Plus a lot of our depth guys were held out of this game.

Chapman is third man up at NT. He's not tearing it up, but he's holding his own. Probably against third stringers though.

Um, who was ahead of Chapman at NT besides Franklin?  Looked to me like it was 1. Franklin 2. Chapman and 3. Tevaseu....and that's how they were listed on the depth chart as reported here http://forums.colts.com/index.php?/topic/19458-colts-to-release-1st-depth-chart-today/

I'm glad someone else caught that.  I think for the last half of the first quarter and all of the second quarter it was the Bills #1's against Colts #2's.  And in the 3rd quarter it was Bill's #2's against Colts #3's etc etc.  Plus a lot of our depth guys were held out of this game.

Um, who was ahead of Chapman at NT besides Franklin?  Looked to me like it was 1. Franklin 2. Chapman and 3. Tevaseu....and that's how they were listed on the depth chart as reported here http://forums.colts.com/index.php?/topic/19458-colts-to-release-1st-depth-chart-today/

I'm pretty sure Tevaseu was in before Chapman. But I did go back and watch more of him. He played better than I thought at first.

I was so excited about chapman and the way he pushed 4 of our OL down on one play, and the best he can do is hold his own against their 3rd string. this really tells me it was more our OL that is so weak was the reason he was able to do that in practice against our first string OL

hahahahahahaahah wow... wahh boo hoo wahhh cry baby

Again we saw the samething we saw today for years during the Manning era including the lack of quality of play. It's pre-season.

That's not good because the widely accepted opinion around here is that the manning era colts were extremely unbalanced with little depth behind our starters. It sure looked the same this afternoon as well. I don't want to be doom and gloom but it's hard to draw much anything good from today. I don't want us to continue being a one trick pony like we were when Manning was here

I think that I'm not quite sold on Erik Walden yet.  Against the run, he's decnt so far.  I haven't seen him do much of anything in the pass game yet.  But again, it's pre-season.

The first two run plays of the game were an example of what Erik Walden does well. The first play was a run to Mathis' side, and Mathis did a terrible job of setting the edge to contain the run. Spiller got to the outside, a couple of defenders ran into each other, and now Spiller is 17 yards down the field. But it started up front with Mathis getting too far to the inside instead of pushing his man back.

To see what Mathis should have done, watch the next play. It goes to Walden's side, but Walden doesn't try to beat his man to make the play, he simply sets the edge and cuts that side of the field off. 

But on that play, Mathis overpursues on the back side, and is again out of position, letting Spiller cut back and pick up a big gain.

Edit: I forgot to mention, watch the first play of the Bills second possession. Walden sets the edge on the playside, and we cut Spiller down easily.

I know Walden is going to be a favorite whipping boy this year, but I think he did his job today. 

Edited by Superman

The first two run plays of the game were an example of what Erik Walden does well. The first play was a run to Mathis' side, and Mathis did a terrible job of setting the edge to contain the run. Spiller got to the outside, a couple of defenders ran into each other, and now Spiller is 17 yards down the field. But it started up front with Mathis getting too far to the inside instead of pushing his man back.

To see what Mathis should have done, watch the next play. It goes to Walden's side, but Walden doesn't try to beat his man to make the play, he simply sets the edge and cuts that side of the field off. 

But on that play, Mathis overpursues on the back side, and is again out of position, letting Spiller cut back and pick up a big gain.

I know Walden is going to be a favorite whipping boy this year, but I think he did his job today. 

He did his job.  Mathis was owned on those runs.  But after that, the first team D settled down and stopped them.

Buffalo went down the field at the end of the half with their first against our seconds.

I doubt there are many NFL teams who's seconds are going to beat another's firsts.  

And I guess the Bills created a specific game plan against us? the run D gave their started 9 yards a carry. hope your right about Satele and McGlynn

They didn't. The first series was scripted (as in every game). They have probably practiced those couple big run plays for a week. The run D did tighten up after those. 

IMO, the thing that would keep the rooks from moving into those starting positions is the fact that they haven't been in camp due to injury. So, at this point that is probably a pipe dream. I think Thornton cracks the lineup before Holmes.

He did his job.  Mathis was owned on those runs.

Yup. To paraphrase a line from Remember the Titans, 'he was playing selfish, show-off football, and he hung his teammates out to dry.' I'm sure those plays will be highlighted in the film room this week.

Speaking of which...

But after that, the first team D settled down and stopped them.

Buffalo went down the field at the end of the half with their first against our seconds.

I doubt there are many NFL teams who's seconds are going to beat another's firsts.

Yup, much ado about nothing. These issues are mostly technical, like with Mathis. And in the first preseason game, it's not surprising. Tons of adrenaline to be out there playing real football again, so it's no surprise that he'd be flying around with reckless abandon, trying to hit someone. But he's going to have to pick his spots more carefully, and I'm sure he will. 

You probably meant the 3rd preseason game. Even then, there won't be much of a gameplan.

I was disappointed that Chapman didn't get in until late, but Tavaseu looked okay.

Sorry, you are correct. The 3rd game is when the starters get the most run.

Tavaseu looked bigger (than last year) to me. I wish Chapman would have gotten more plays in the beginning of the game. Wonder why they chose that direction.

He did his job.  Mathis was owned on those runs.  But after that, the first team D settled down and stopped them.

Agreed...but at the same time I think our 2nd's did a pretty good job against the Bill's #1's.....considering it was their frist team against our second team.

oh and I just started the game over and am at around the 5 min mark of the first quarter and Chapman was in on the play I just watched.  The DL was Guy - Chapman - RJF with Walden and Rayford as the OLB's and the play was a sweep to Walden's side that went for about 2 yards.  So Chapman was playing as early as the first quarter. :)

Tavaseu looked bigger to me. I wish Chapman would have gotten more plays in the beginning of the game. Wonder why they chose that direction.

Probably just choosing to play the experienced guy first.  Chapman played pretty well in the second half.

Agreed...but at the same time I think our 2nd's did a pretty good job against the Bill's #1's.....considering it was their frist team against our second team.

oh and I just started the game over and am at around the 5 min mark of the first quarter and Chapman was in on the play I just watched.  The DL was Guy - Chapman - RJF with Walden and Rayford as the OLB's and the play was a sweep to Walden's side that went for about 2 yards.  So Chapman was playing as early as the first quarter. :)

Sorry, I missed it.  I think his shirt was pulled up on some plays, it was hard to make out a number.

Either way, we're so much better at NT than we were last season.  The D can't help but be better. 

Tavaseu looked bigger (than last year) to me. I wish Chapman would have gotten more plays in the beginning of the game. Wonder why they chose that direction.

I think a good part of it was the way Buffalo was playing.  They were playing a pretty up tempo offense quite a bit and were throwing the ball quite a bit, so the Colts were playing more Nickel with a 4 man front that looked primarily to be variations of: Walden/Sidbury - Guy/Matthews - RJF/Nevis - Rayford/Hickman.   When Buffalo slowed down a little bit, that's when Franklin and Chapman were getting on the field. 

Sorry, I missed it.  I think his shirt was pulled up on some plays, it was hard to make out a number.

Either way, we're so much better at NT than we were last season.  The D can't help but be better. 

yeah very well could be...Franklin's shirt pulled up quite a bit too.  Plus the cameras seemed to be focusing on lots of other crap and not showing the LOS until the ball was snapped, so it was hard to see who was lined up at times.  That's one of the things I love about DVR'ing the game is that I can pause and then go frame by frame, but even being able to do that it's been kind of difficult at times to see who's actually on the field. lol

10-3  INDY at the end of the first Q.  

Seriously...        How many Colts did not play?

Good God....         

I really thought our backups would be better this year. does anyone who is watching this game see anything positive to report.

I'm not seeing any of the names on the D side making plays that I thought would be so much improvement.

Are we getting any pass rush?

Watch the want ads tomorrow for a "Help Wanted: Special Teams Coach" ad.  They looked just awful today.

I know you're kidding....  (not about looking awful,  they did)   but to those who think the ST coach will soon be out of a job, remember,   the front office apparently pushed out last year's ST coach and brought in this guy.   He's brand new.   I suspect ST will get more time and more attention in the next 3 weeks.....

I think a good part of it was the way Buffalo was playing.  They were playing a pretty up tempo offense quite a bit and were throwing the ball quite a bit, so the Colts were playing more Nickel with a 4 man front that looked primarily to be variations of: Walden/Sidbury - Guy/Matthews - RJF/Nevis - Rayford/Hickman.   When Buffalo slowed down a little bit, that's when Franklin and Chapman were getting on the field. 

The sad part about this is that the elite teams that we hope to play in the PO's will be running this offense, and we can't be caught with our pants down(for lack of a better phrase). 

The sad part about this is that the elite teams that we hope to play in the PO's will be running this offense, and we can't be caught with our pants down(for lack of a better phrase). 

I don't think we really got caught with our pants down.  I was just explaining why the NT's weren't on the field much.  In a real game we would have seen a lot more of Redding and Mathis.  I don't think either of them played after the 2nd defensive series.  

I don't think we really got caught with our pants down.  I was just explaining why the NT's weren't on the field much.  In a real game we would have seen a lot more of Redding and Mathis.  I don't think either of them played after the 2nd defensive series.  

I know you don't think that, i wa just using your part about how they ran that quick hike offense. That's when our d looked suspect, even more so with the backups obviously. 

I know you don't think that, i wa just using your part about how they ran that quick hike offense. That's when our d looked suspect, even more so with the backups obviously. 

Right...I still the the D held up pretty well considering it was a lot more of the #2's than #1's.  they'd have looked much better with Redding, Mathis and Werner.

If you don't agree that our d looked suspect vs their 2nd and 3rds than i don't know waht you were watching man. Our CBs were sad. 

It was our 3rds against their 2nd and 3rds, for the most part. Our CBs looked bad, but most of the ones that looked bad were deep bench guys.

It was our 3rds against their 2nd and 3rds, for the most part. Our CBs looked bad, but most of the ones that looked bad were deep bench guys.

later in the game it was 3rds vs 3rds. Don't exaggerate it that much. that rookie qb that isn't manuel is technically their third anyways since Kolb is injured. yeah i of course meanr our deep bench guys. Our starters-maybe even dime back looked fine to me. 

If you don't agree that our d looked suspect vs their 2nd and 3rds than i don't know waht you were watching man. Our CBs were sad. 

I don't know where you get that I said that.  As far as our secondary goes, I thought Davis, Toler, Bulter and Gordy played well.  Once they got to playing a lot more of Vaughn, Green and others..yes they looked bad.  

What i was trying to say is that I thought our 2's and 3's played relatively well against the Bill's 1's and 2's which is essentially what happened the majority of the first half.  

later in the game it was 3rds vs 3rds. Don't exaggerate it that much. that rookie qb that isn't manuel is technically their third anyways since Kolb is injured. yeah i of course meanr our deep bench guys. Our starters-maybe even dime back looked fine to me. 

So the guys that probably won't make the team looked bad...yes I agree with that. ;)

So the Bills players who wont be on a team in a month beat our players who wont beat our players who wont be on the team in a month.  Meanwhile our starters won vs. their starters.  We won the more important part of the pre-season game. 

Agreed!

Kolb didn't play nor did their #1 wr S Johnson I think his name is. if they would have played it would have been 100 to 20

So the guys that probably won't make the team looked bad...yes I agree with that. ;)

It's preaseason, i'm juding everyone on our roster. They don't get a pass because they wont be on this team soon. 

So the Bills players who wont be on a team in a month beat our players who wont beat our players who wont be on the team in a month.  Meanwhile our starters won vs. their starters.  We won the more important part of the pre-season game. 

Yeah we for sure won the more important part even if it was for only like a couple of series. But still you'd like to see some of these guys fight there way into a roster spot. The only "scrub" who i feel did that today was our fill in safety. 

It's preaseason, i'm juding everyone on our roster. They don't get a pass because they wont be on this team soon. 

Yeah we for sure won the more important part even if it was for only like a couple of series. But still you'd like to see some of these guys fight there way into a roster spot. The only "scrub" who i feel did that today was our fill in safety. 

Ok then that's your prerogative.  Personally, I only care about the 53 who are going to make the team.  And the guys that are going to make the team played pretty well today, even when it was our depth guys against their starters.  

Ok then that's your prerogative.  Personally, I only care about the 53 who are going to make the team.  And the guys that are going to make the team played pretty well today, even when it was our depth guys against their starters.  

What did you think about Harnish today? Since as far as i can tell he is going to be the backup once HB hangs up those cleets. 

What did you think about Harnish today? Since as far as i can tell he is going to be the backup once HB hangs up those cleets. 

Painter comes to mind