Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

same old D same OLine

ruf

I really thought our backups would be better this year. does anyone who is watching this game see anything positive to report.

I'm not seeing any of the names on the D side making plays that I thought would be so much improvement.

Are we getting any pass rush?

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is hard to take anything away from this. We don't really create a specific game plan until the final preseason game. It is going to take time for these guys to get together. Our initial run D looked OK outside of those 1st two big runs by Spiller. The DBs looked decent. 

Our O-line is going to take some time to gel. I personally think 2 of the players that started today may not start after the bye week (Satele, McGlynn). We shall see.......1st preseason game.

It is hard to take anything away from this. We don't really create a specific game plan until the final preseason game. It is going to take time for these guys to get together. Our initial run D looked OK outside of those 1st two big runs by Spiller. The DBs looked decent. 

Our O-line is going to take some time to gel. I personally think 2 of the players that started today may not start after the bye week (Satele, McGlynn). We shall see.......1st preseason game.

Even if Thornton and or Holmes start before the year is out, which I do think is possible, they aren't in all likely hood going to be an instant fix.  I think people need to remember the o-line is still a work in progress.  What I am looking for and hoping for is improvement over last year. 

You probably meant the 3rd preseason game. Even then, there won't be much of a gameplan.

I was disappointed that Chapman didn't get in until late, but Tavaseu looked okay.

And I guess the Bills created a specific game plan against us? the run D gave their started 9 yards a carry. hope your right about Satele and McGlynn

Outside of the first two runs of the game, the starting D played pretty well, now after they came out D had a dropoff

OLine was mostly communication issues even with Luck messing up a cadence

I wish Josh McNary was healthy enough to play this week, have to wait until next game to see McNary and Werner

Be careful, they will call you names for speaking the truth.

I think the depth chart is out of wack. Some of the better players dont start, and I dont get it.

maybe you should send in your resume. With your insight, you will be hired on the spot I'm sure

Be careful, they will call you names for speaking the truth.

I think the depth chart is out of wack. Some of the better players dont start, and I dont get it.

No.    Names get called when people sound ignorant.

That said -- and I'm not calling you ignorant -- would you like to complete your thought? 

Who are the better players who don't start that you don't understand?     Off the top of my head, Chapman was the only one I could think of,  and I suspect that's more of a veteran vs. rookie thing.    And it's only the first week of pre-season.   Things change.

Yes, and most of his completions came against the 2nd and 3rd strings in the latter part of the first half.  We took our starters out much sooner than they did.  Also, it's preseason.  We're playing a very passive defense, and they're getting a lot of short completions.  C'mon man...

No.    Names get called when people sound ignorant.

That said -- and I'm not calling you ignorant -- would you like to complete your thought? 

Who are the better players who don't start that you don't understand?     Off the top of my head, Chapman was the only one I could think of,  and I suspect that's more of a veteran vs. rookie thing.    And it's only the first week of pre-season.   Things change.

Honestly I haven't heard anything from Chapman today.  I'll admit I am not paying the closet attention to the game at this point but I just haven't heard his name.  Franklin on the other hand had a fumble recovery and looked alright when he was in there.  From what I've seen, and I am no coach, I haven't seen anything that would make me flip them on the depth chart.  With that said, as you said it's pre-season game one things can and will change and the coaches are for sure seeing things that we will never see that they will make these decisions off of. 

Honestly I haven't heard anything from Chapman today.  I'll admit I am not paying the closet attention to the game at this point but I just haven't heard his name.  Franklin on the other hand had a fumble recovery and looked alright when he was in there.  From what I've seen, and I am no coach, I haven't seen anything that would make me flip them on the depth chart.  With that said, as you said it's pre-season game one things can and will change and the coaches are for sure seeing things that we will never see that they will make these decisions off of.

Chapman is third man up at NT. He's not tearing it up, but he's holding his own. Probably against third stringers though.

and I forgot to mention the special teams (horrible).

what happen to the FB we were suppose to have for a power running game to pick up some first downs?

We used him quite a bit when the starters were in there.  What I saw from our offense was Pep trying a lot of different looks probably trying to get an idea of what exactly worked and didn't work in a game.  Keep in mind it's the pre-season, there is no game plan and even if there was the Colts are going to do their best to keep from giving away too much in the pre-season.  They are using the pre-season to see what works and doesn't work and my guess is they will use that information to formulate game planes for the regular season based off that information. 

Also the Colts keep saying they want to run the ball more and have balance, they have never said they were going to become a running team.  They have Andrew Luck as their QB with a Hall of Fame WR in Reggie Wayne with three offensive rookies taken at TE and WR with their next three draft picks last year.  They are still going to throw the ball a lot. 

No. Names get called when people sound ignorant.

Who are the better players who don't start that you don't understand? Off the top of my head, Chapman was the only one I could think of, and I suspect that's more of a veteran vs. rookie thing. And it's only the first week of pre-season. Things change.

Hilton. They refuse to recognize him as the #2 wr. Then anyone is better than Satele and McGlynn. Also last yr they did it. Ballard was better than Brown pretty early on, but he was a backup. Shipley played the best out of all the linmen and he was benched and traded away.

I will wait till the rookies are healthy before I lose hope.

Chapman is third man up at NT. He's not tearing it up, but he's holding his own. Probably against third stringers though.

My guess is that he'll have to do more than that to move into the starting line up then.  People have a tendency to see more of what they want to see when it comes to players they like or don't like (and I am not saying you are doing that) and Chapman is a guy that a lot of fans like and want to be the answer to our NT problems.  So they are looking for him to be that.  While he could grow into that in time I am trying to remember this pretty much his rookie season so that might take a little time.  Coaches tend to see what is there based off their philosophies.  Right now based on what I've seen I have no real issues with Pagano's depth chart. 

I really thought our backups would be better this year. does anyone who is watching this game see anything positive to report.

I'm not seeing any of the names on the D side making plays that I thought would be so much improvement.

Are we getting any pass rush?

I think the defense looked pretty solid today. The starting defense that is..

After the first series the line bounced back and looked wonderful against the run. The players were active and all over the ball.

Landry and Werner didn't play. We're still waiting for a few guys to come back.

My guess is that he'll have to do more than that to move into the starting line up then.  People have a tendency to see more of what they want to see when it comes to players they like or don't like (and I am not saying you are doing that) and Chapman is a guy that a lot of fans like and want to be the answer to our NT problems.  So they are looking for him to be that.  While he could grow into that in time I am trying to remember this pretty much his rookie season so that might take a little time.  Coaches tend to see what is there based off their philosophies.  Right now based on what I've seen I have no real issues with Pagano's depth chart.

I've always said we should temper our expectations for Chapman. He was a good player at Bama, not a game changer. And that's a hard position to learn in the pros. He'll be okay, just needs time.

Didn't you watch the game? FBs were used extensively.

Yes STs are horrible.

Kicking games looked (in terms of the kickers) and Hilton had a really nice punt return.  Kick coverage units and the kick returner game are a mess right now but I think we could have probably guessed at least the latter one going in.

I will say this we probably don't know what the special teams are going to look like yet.  The Colts will put those together based on who is left on the roster after the final cuts.  They are looking for guys to make an impact right now and then put them together so they might not play their first game as a true "unit" till game one of the regular season.  With that said other than Conner on one tackle I would agree I haven't seen anyone who has made an impact on special teams as of yet. 

I was so excited about chapman and the way he pushed 4 of our OL down on one play, and the best he can do is hold his own against their 3rd string. this really tells me it was more our OL that is so weak was the reason he was able to do that in practice against our first string OL

As we bash the defense remember that pretty much all of our safeties were out that we opened camp with including Laundry who was a starter, I don't think I saw Werner out there at all, Freeman and Angerer were both out hurt along with Harvey and McNary. 

They were pretty beat up.  Also the starters did alright when they were in there and that's what you want to see. 

the first preseason game is like a glorified practice

FB/TEs were used much more with Luck and Hasselbeck because we already know they can sling the rock. You saw more multiple WR and spread formations with Harnisch because they want to see what he can do throwing the ball. There is no real gameplan whatsoever. About the only thing to really look at is whether or not an individual player is executing his assignment and beating the man in front of him, and if he isn't, is it a talent problem, or an opportunity to coach?

It is't really about winning (though its nice) more than its about putting players in specific situations for purposes of assessment.

good to have football back...brings out the 'Chicken Little's' and entertains the rest of us. :)

Not jumping to any conclusions today. It is week one of the Preseason! No I am not worried at this point... But if we can't get pressure on Matt Flynn week 1 or stop injury prone McFadden then I will begin to worry. For now lets stay calm and let the roster take shape and give team time to come together.

However, I still think ST's are awful.. Something about special teams in Indy :scratch:

As we bash the defense remember that pretty much all of our safeties were out that we opened camp with including Laundry who was a starter, I don't think I saw Werner out there at all, Freeman and Angerer were both out hurt along with Harvey and McNary. 

They were pretty beat up.  Also the starters did alright when they were in there and that's what you want to see.

Werner didnt play. I think only 2 of our draft picks played.

What cracks me up is how serious some people are taking our second and third stringers are playing against theirs. People are freaking out already. If we lose to Oakland their heads will explode.

the first preseason game is like a glorified practice

FB/TEs were used much more with Luck and Hasselbeck because we already know they can sling the rock. You saw more multiple WR and spread formations with Harnisch because they want to see what he can do throwing the ball. There is no real gameplan whatsoever. About the only thing to really look at is whether or not an individual player is executing his assignment and beating the man in front of him, and if he isn't, is it a talent problem, or an opportunity to coach?

good to have football back...brings out the 'Chicken Little's' and entertains the rest of us. :)

In that same train of thought. Our d is not reacting to what is in front of them. My favourite part of today is seeing that pat mckafee Is better than every.

Also is dhb injured?

Werner didnt play. I think only 2 of our draft picks played.

What cracks me up is how serious some people are taking our second and third stringers are playing against theirs. People are freaking out already. If we lose to Oakland their heads will explode.

image.png

Oh wait it already did that in 2011...hmm...maybe...

6a00d83451b80969e200e55067bb678833-640wi