Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Will Marvin be a first-ballot hof'er? [Merge]

ColtsFanMikeC

Just started thinking about this when reading the 'mt. rushmore' post --

IMO, Marvin Harrison should be a hall-of-famer -- he had (number wise) the greatest 8 year stretch of any WR in NFL history (seasons 1999 - 2006).  I always hear a general rule of thumb that to be a HOFer, you need to be dominant for a decade.   After 2006, Marv's production dropped off due to injury, and prior to 1999 he had 3 good, but not 'dominant' seasons. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvin_Harrison  shows a table of his year-by-year stats -- pretty incredible.

Marv was the 4th WR in NFL history to surpass 1,000 receptions and 1 of 7 to break 100 reception TDs.  At one time, he was 2nd on the all time reception list (he has since been surpassed by Tony Gonzalez, and the only other active player that I think might pass him any time soon would be Reggie Wayne (he is 134 receptions shy, I hope he has at least 2 more 70+ reception seasons here in Indy, serious injury is the only thing that could stop that, IMO).  If Andre Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald stay healthy, they too have a good shot to surpass Marv in the next 3-5 years.

Marv was extremely durable, prior to his knee injury in 2007, he only missed games due to injury 1 other time (1998, when he sat out 4).  He is arguably the best route-runner of all time.

Now here is where things get interesting -- Cris Carter (who prior to Marv had the 2nd best numbers of all time) took forever to get into the HOF (presumably b/c of some off-field issues that plagued him early in his career).  While Marvin was in Indy, I always thought he was a stand-up person -- humble, quiet, dedicated-- traits missing from most elite WR's in his era.  I was shocked to hear his affilitation with some thugs in Philly after his retirement, and the accusations that he punched a teenager in the face in HI during pro-bowl week during his career.  While he was never convicted, I have to wonder if the shooting incidents will effect Marv's HOF status.  The other knock against him, which I think is bogus, is going to be that he played with Peyton Manning when the other elite WR's of his time (mainly Randy Moss and TO) did not have a long time to play with 'elite' QBs (TO had Steve Young early in his career, but otherwise never a future HOF QB, while I don't think Moss ever had a HOF QB).  I think it is bogus, b/c Marv and Peyton broke every QB/WR duo record there is, and you can argue that Jerry Rice played with 2 elite QBs in Montana and Young. 

Marvin retired very quietly, which I expected from him, but made the headlines for some non-football related troubles.  Will this effect his HOF status?  Does he deserve to be on the Colts Mt. Rushmore b/c of his off-field trouble after his career? 

I'd vote 'yes' to the HOF, but after researching a lot of his off-field stuff, I have to question his character a bit.  Because of the off-field stuff, I think Reggie Wayne has become my all-time favorite Colt WR.

Thoughts?

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's probably more deserving then some of the players waiting, but they've been building their cases for years.  He'll might be delayed by Tim Brown and Andre Reed, and the voters apparent reluctance to induct receivers.

He'll be in the HOF. Not even a discussion. If he had the longevity of Jerry Rice he's arguably a top 3 WR in NFL history, Maybe even at the top right below Jerry. 

Just imagine Marv with Jerry's natural athletic ability **shutters**.

He's probably more deserving then some of the players waiting, but they've been building their cases for years.  He'll might be delayed by Tim Brown and Andre Reed, and the voters apparent reluctance to induct receivers.

I agree. He's statistically superior to them, but he'll probably have to wait until they're inducted.

I think he should be first ballot.  People may not appreciate him as much now because he hasn't played for several years and he had his off the field stuff.  But on the field, he was a beast.  One of the hardest players to defend in the game.  DBs always said they couldn't jump his routes because they all looked the same.  His route running was incredible

Yeah, if he would have had a 4.7 forty we'd be calling him the best ever. Errr.

Was referring to his size. Rice was an athletic freak for his time(kinda just above average for today athletically but back then he was a monster haha.

Show me another HOF WR whose postseason production dropped as much as Marvin's, even when they were the only legitimate receiving threat on their team, and I'll get excited about getting him a bust in Canton.

So the lack of the Colts not having a strong running game, defense and special teams in the playoffs should effect if MH goes to the HOF?  MH will be in the HOF because of his place in NFL history. 

Anyone who has doubts that Marvin deserves to be in the HOF is just plain ludicrous. Some bring up his off field actions keeping him out?  Did off field problems keep Irvin, Sanders, Carter, Dierdorf and Sapp off of the roster?  I am sure there are a lot more that can join the list that had less than the good guy image that have made the HOF. 

Anyone who has doubts that Marvin deserves to be in the HOF is just plain ludicrous. Some bring up his off field actions keeping him out?  Did off field problems keep Irvin, Sanders, Carter, Dierdorf and Sapp off of the roster?  I am sure there are a lot more that can join the list that had less than the good guy image that have made the HOF. 

2 wrongs dont make a right but especially when 1 involved an unsolved murder with Harrisons own gun

Marvin is a HOF'er no doubt or something like that should be questioned. Best route runner to play the game, but his speed was incredible to compliment. Had to have triple coverage on him a few games because he would kill teams.

It's interesting how a player retires, is forgotten in some cases and falls from the "best ever" discussion. Marvin is one of the best WR's of all-time. Despite Rice playing on SB winners and looking extremely graceful, Marvin actually made more extremely tough catches. Yes, Rice probably is the best ever, and Marvin  may go down as a top 5, he was incredible. 

Now here is where things get interesting -- Cris Carter (who prior to Marv had the 2nd best numbers of all time) took forever to get into the HOF (presumably b/c of some off-field issues that plagued him early in his career).  While Marvin was in Indy, I always thought he was a stand-up person -- humble, quiet, dedicated-- traits missing from most elite WR's in his era.  I was shocked to hear his affilitation with some thugs in Philly after his retirement, and the accusations that he punched a teenager in the face in HI during pro-bowl week during his career.  While he was never convicted, I have to wonder if the shooting incidents will effect Marv's HOF status.  The other knock against him, which I think is bogus, is going to be that he played with Peyton Manning when the other elite WR's of his time (mainly Randy Moss and TO) did not have a long time to play with 'elite' QBs (TO had Steve Young early in his career, but otherwise never a future HOF QB, while I don't think Moss ever had a HOF QB). 

Thoughts?

The HOF glut at WR is going to work against Harrison, along with his off-the-field situation. No one can deny the productivity, though. He's right up there. For whatever reason, it just seems harder for WRs to get in.

And by the way, Moss did play for two full seasons with Brady (plus '08 in NE, when Brady was injured). He had some of his most productive seasons with #12. 3rd/4th best years in terms of catches, 2nd/6th best in yards, and 1st/4th (tie) for TDs.

Overall, in 52 games (including '08 with Cassel), he had 259 catches, 3,904 yards, and 50 TDs in a Pats uniform. That averages out to 5 catches/game, and 75 yards/game, and the 50 TDs in 52 games is pretty dang impressive.

Marvin is a HOF'er no doubt or something like that should be questioned. Best route runner to play the game, but his speed was incredible to compliment. Had to have triple coverage on him a few games because he would kill teams.

Watch that phrasing! LOL... ;)

I've states my case on this multiple times.

As the game moves forward it will get even more interesting. The amount of passing has changed the game.

As for Marv. He will be stuck with Holt/Bruce.

Moss and TO will get in before him.

What's to think about? What's to think about THIS MUCH!?

Marvin is "literally" the greatest WR in the history of the franchise. Are there any other Colts WRs in the hall of fame? If so, then...

Nuff said.

Raymond Berry is in the HOF.  Nuff said. 

2 wrongs dont make a right but especially when 1 involved an unsolved murder with Harrisons own gun

Exactly what does 2 wrongs dont make a right mean?  So in your mind Harrison is guilty of what?  Last time I checked a person does have to be found guilty in a court of law. So you are the self appointed judge and jury?  Besides what does Harrison's off field problems have to do with the HOF?  Ray Lewis will be a HOFer. Michael Irwin is in. Don Deirdorf is in. Deon Sanders is in. Cris Carter is in. There are a few players in the HOF that have had off field issues. What does that have to do with what was done on the field? 

The off the field stuff has tarnished my respect for the guy. In fact I don't like him.

It's too bad, but it will and should keep him out of the HoF.

Marvin doesn't allow thugs in his bar

Thug attempted to enter Marvin's bar

Marvin said no

Thug gave Marvin grief

Thug dead

Good for Marvin

Exactly what does 2 wrongs dont make a right mean?  So in your mind Harrison is guilty of what?  Last time I checked a person does have to be found guilty in a court of law. So you are the self appointed judge and jury?  Besides what does Harrison's off field problems have to do with the HOF?  Ray Lewis will be a HOFer. Michael Irwin is in. Don Deirdorf is in. Deon Sanders is in. Cris Carter is in. There are a few players in the HOF that have had off field issues. What does that have to do with what was done on the field? 

Amen!!! Out of likes.