Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hugh Thornton Goes Down... Who Plays RG

CardiacColts

@1070Bruno: Pagano said G Hugh Thornton has sprained ankle carried over from rookie minicamp, not expected to miss much more time.

McGlynn is horrible. Only reason he's even on the roster is because of his association with Grigson from their days with the Eagles

Reitz was the better guard last year tho injured

The only reason is that he can sub at center,we all know coaches like to have players who can play different positions.I have heard Grigs and Pags talk about Mike in this capacity.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

McGlynn is horrible. Only reason he's even on the roster is because of his association with Grigson from their days with the Eagles

I really wish people would stop saying that

I dont think Reitz did any better. The only person who has a shot to be out mike is Hugh Thornton, though I like Justin Anderson.

How is Ijalana moving really rooting for him. Has far as RG anyone over McGlynn I like Ijalana, or Reitz, Reitz isn't that bad especially as a pass blocker.

The first day of camp he was at OG and LT, haven't heard anything about him for today's practice

Might as well face the fact that McGlynn will start unless he gets injured as well.. He has the experience over Thornton and with Thornton missing the start of camp due to injury that's not a great way to get going for him.. I can see Thornton taking over sometime during the season, but for now have to settle with McGlynn

If Thorton is healthy, he looks like the most likely guy to beat him out.  I certainly hope he does.  

Now if someone could only beat out Satele.  

I'll be very interested to see how Khaled Holmes comes along.  Grigson mentioned at draft time that he could possibly play guard, and I've been fairly intrigued since the team listed him at 319 lbs.  Now that he's 100% (as opposed to how he was when playing as a Senior), he could push Satele or even McGlynn (if Thornton stays out longer than expected).

I think something about this year's OL that is way better than last year is we have improved the quality of players and (if healthy) improved the versatility.  They say Ijalana has been seeing reps at LT and RG --- I really want to see Holmes beat out Satele, but he should be versatile enough to give McGlynn a run for the money.  I think Thomas can play both G spots and C.  I hope we just go whatever is best for however healthy we are (eg, if Holmes is down, consider a lineup that might see Thomas/Holmes/Satele battle for C, with the best man there and have Thomas/Holmes/McGlynn/Ijalana/Reitz/etc. battle for the G spots). 

I think Satele can improve from last year, but still think that Holmes will be our long-term answer at C - maybe it won't be until next year.  And I agree with someone else who posted earlier that McGlynn's weaknesses should be masked a bit more with improved play at RT and LG.  I hope the same theory applies to Satele (keep in mind, I don't think he was ever really 100% last year, so his health might be just the trick we need).

No anyone with eye balls saw that!! :omg: Not hard to figure out. McGlynn is one of the worst OG in the league!

If Grigson is so attached to Philly players why did he get rid of Moise Foku and Winston Justice?

The thought of McGlynn starting again makes me nauseous.  I was in favor of getting another guard in free agency for at least a stop gap, even if we had planned on drafting one.

Mike McGlynn is going to make $1.5 milllion this year (final year of contract)

For about the same price (or less) we probably could have had:

Matt Slauson - signed 1 yr $800,000 - Bears

Kevin Boothe - signed 1 yr $800,000 - Giants

Geoff Schwartz - signed 1 yr $1.2 million - KC

Chad Rinehart - signed 1 yr $1.75 million - SD

I think any of these guys would have been would have been an upgrade over Mike McGlynn.  I cannot fathom why this guy is still on our roster ... McGlynn is arguably one of, if not the worst starting guard in the NFL. :wall:

If Grigson is so attached to Philly players why did he get rid of Moise Foku and Winston Justice?

Grigson scouted McGlynn in college. McGlynn is a Grigson guy, plain and simple. I don't understand the whole versatility angle people use when defending McGlynn. He has the ability to suck equally bad at multiple positions. So what?

Honestly, I've got to think that Pagano and Gilbert (that's the OL coach, right?) will consider an awful lot of people for that RG position.  We're only in Day 3 now, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a different back-up RG every day this week.  Then next week they'll settle on a couple to work at RG in Preseason Game # 1.  Think about all the possibilities: Reitz, Linkenbach, Ijalana, Justin Anderson, and Khaled Holmes.  Heck, they had Lee Ziemba at 3rd team OG yesterday.  Someone's gotta beat out McGlynn pretty quickly!

You're correct, this is a bad time to be sitting out. But I don't know how you can say Thorton is vastly superior to Holmes. Holmes was injured in college. But even given that, you can't make a comparison until they both play as pros.

I'd love to see both of those guys crack the starting lineup at some time this season. And I'd love to see Iljalana make it as a back up T.

It is just my personal belief that Thornton is superior to Holmes specifically at the guard position. I'd like to see them both at some point crack the lineup, but my preference would be keeping Holmes at center.

The frustrating thing to me is that it sounds as though this ankle injury of Thornton's occurred during the rookie mini. This means he hasn't practiced with the full team in any capacity at TC. Missing one day of TC is bigger than missing a full week of the normal season, as this is where the verbiage, playbook installment, and O-line cohesiveness are cultivated. I am a huge Hugh Thornton fan; however, with the significant time he is currently missing I fear how long it will take to get him up to speed once healthy. I really want to see him get a shot over McGlynn regardless, but this really puts him behind the 8 ball.

Grigson scouted McGlynn in college. McGlynn is a Grigson guy, plain and simple. I don't understand the whole versatility angle people use when defending McGlynn. He has the ability to suck equally bad at multiple positions. So what?

Oh, he scouted him. Makes perfect sense now.

I don't think he is so attached to Philly guys just McGlynn, dude slice it any way you want McGylnn is not good, he is bad, If hes play is better this year I will be the first to say I was wrong or he has improved but based on last year he is HORRIBLE! That's why we drafted a guard so high. I personally don't think it has anything to do with philly!

I don't think he is so attached to Philly guys just McGlynn, dude slice it any way you want McGylnn is not good, he is bad, If hes play is better this year I will be the first to say I was wrong or he has improved but based on last year he is HORRIBLE! That's why we drafted a guard so high. I personally don't think it has anything to do with philly!

I never claimed he was good...in fact he stinks.

Those kinds of political decisions (keeping McGlynn) can blow up in your face...McGlynn whiffs and gets Andrew hurt...the sh## hits the fan!

Grigson better be smart about it and keep the best player...NOT a favorite associate...and NOT because McGlynn can play 2 positions (both badly).

Those kinds of political decisions (keeping McGlynn) can blow up in your face...McGlynn whiffs and gets Andrew hurt...the sh## hits the fan!

Grigson better be smart about it and keep the best player...NOT a favorite associate...and NOT because McGlynn can play 2 positions (both badly).

That's right up there with "fleener was drafted cause he played with Luck at Stanford" bull****

Starting line up right now doesn't guarantee you a starting job unless your name is Castonzo, Cherilus, or Thomas I believe that's his name.

Satele & McGlynn aren't safe. I look for Josh Chapman to make the oline coach realize that McGlynn is not the answer. And for RJF to make him see Satele isn't the answer once these pads get on

you don`t know what position these guys play. listen and learn.

What? 

Fleener was drafted (so high) because he had a great combine with a very fast 40 and rose up draft boards to a falsely high position.

Um, no not really. Fleener was at the late 1st/early 2nd round projection pretty much the entire season.  Anyone who knew anything about him or had watched him play at all was not surprised by his 40 time.

What are you even trying to say?

Perhaps that was in reference to TKnight's comment:

Satele & McGlynn aren't safe. I look for Josh Chapman to make the oline coach realize that McGlynn is not the answer. And for RJF to make him see Satele isn't the answer once these pads get on

Why would Chapman be lining up over McGlynn (a OG) and RJF (who will mostly be a DE) line up across from the C?  Sure there'll be a lot of rotation and moving guys around, but Chapman isn't going to be lined up across from McGlynn unless McGlynn is subbing in at C, and RJF isn't likely to line up across from Satele unless Chapman, Franklin, Tevaseu and Hughes get hurt.

I think throwingBBS just needs to remember that TKnight is very excitable and was probably on a sugar rush from all the apple juice when that was posted. lol