Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

McAfee to play 2013 under the tag

Superman

http://www.indystar.com/article/20130714/SPORTS03/307140021/1058/SPORTS03?nclick_check=1

It isn’t known whether the team attempted to negotiate a multiyear contract with McAfee. He signed the franchise tag in April, which guaranteed its value.

“I’m ecstatic about the opportunity to be an Indianapolis Colt for at least another year,’’ McAfee said in an email response to The Star. “A long-term deal is obviously something that every player hopes to one day earn. But to have another year in a city that I love, playing for a team with the best locker room in the league and representing a fan base that is the best in the NFL is awesome.

I'm not sure why, but the Colts aren't going to get a new deal done with punter Pat McAfee before tomorrow's deadline.

This became very obvious to me the other day when Craig Kelley's mailbag ran a question about McAfee's contract status. He kind of deflected, stating he wouldn't talk about contract issues, but that the team would be able to manage the cap moving forward.

I wonder what the plan is.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know what the rule is under the new CBA.  Can't we still sign him to a long term contract at some point during the year?  Say Grigs and McAfee's agent sit down and work something out in week 7.  Can't we do that?

I think if this were a regular contract year for Pat a deal could be done anytime, but since it is a franchised player a deal has to be done before 4 pm Mon.

I think if this were a regular contract year for Pat a deal could be done anytime, but since it is a franchised player a deal has to be done before 4 pm Mon.

Then we aren't allowed to sign him to a contract until next offseason?  We can't negotiate something in the middle of the league year?

Hate to hear that they couldn't get something done without having to stick to the franchise contract.  I wonder what might have stood in the way of getting this done.  When it's something that is in both party's interest to get done it really makes you think why it didn't happen.  At least he's here for this season if nothing else.

I don't know what the rule is under the new CBA.  Can't we still sign him to a long term contract at some point during the year?  Say Grigs and McAfee's agent sit down and work something out in week 7.  Can't we do that?

Good question, I remember us doing this to Dallas Clark, but obviously the new CBA may have changed that, I don't know either but hopefully it is and that's how it goes down.

Previously, the window for a team signing its franchise player to a long-term deal closed not long after the free-agency period started and then opened again on July 15.  Now, the window remains open until July 15.

After July 15, the franchise player can sign only a one-year deal with his current team.  It can be for more than the franchise tender, and it can include other terms, like playing-time or performance triggers that would prevent the tag from being used again.

But the duration can be no more than one year.

Speaking of signing players Werner hasn't been signed yet and camp is only two weeks away

Him and other first round picks across the NFL. They'll get him signed this week maybe.

Remember, took our 2 TE's Allen & Fleener awhile to sign their contracts. Grigson will get it done soon

I would think the Colts will get a deal done with Pat Boomstick. I did notice that Pat was kicking FGs in training camp and did play a series or two as a WR. He is also the emergency QB if needed. He is an excellent holder as well. Just an all around good player who brings more than just punts. 

This is troubling to me. 4 million is to much for a punter IMO. I love the guy, but not 4 million worth. If you get a punter and field goal kicker and special teams tackling machine plus a Emergency QB all rolled up in 1, what happens if he gets hurt? You have to open up another roster spot to fill 1 mans shoes. I personally dont think all the eggs in 1 basket is a wise thing to do.

This is troubling to me. 4 million is to much for a punter IMO. I love the guy, but not 4 million worth. If you get a punter and field goal kicker and special teams tackling machine plus a Emergency QB all rolled up in 1, what happens if he gets hurt? You have to open up another roster spot to fill 1 mans shoes. I personally dont think all the eggs in 1 basket is a wise thing to do.

Who said anything about 4m per?

if not signed to a LT contract by 4 PM Mond, u cant negotiate 1 till next season, u can also if need be franchise again at a 20 % increase to this years tag if again cant get a LT deal done

It was my understanding the two parties weren't in negotiations. I think the intent all along was that Pat play under the tag this year (get paid) and the team and Pat would re-assess at the end of this year, most probably for several reasons. Possible AV retirement/Pat's dream of being all legs for one team (I don't think its a good idea for the team) but it may be intriguing.........more flex room with other free agent contracts..........I haven't read anything where negotiations broke down or Pat wanting 4mil or any of the aforementioned hyperbole. Maybe I am cave dwelling on these issues, if so I am sure someone will shine a light to this canary in a coal mine.

Is it just me or was last year probably the first year that many saw McAfee's directional kicking improve? We all knew he had a great leg but that kick to pin the Titans on the 2 before Locker's pick six at LOS was a thing of beauty.

Maybe Grigson and the others want such kicking performances repeated another year consistently before shelling out the long term dough??? He should at least deserve the money for being the best tackling punter in the league, or pretty close. :)

Then we aren't allowed to sign him to a contract until next offseason?  We can't negotiate something in the middle of the league year?

Just to answer the question definitively, no, you can't. As of the new CBA, there's a deadline with franchised players. If you don't get a long term deal done by July 15, the player has to play the year on the tag. Same thing happened with Welker last season.

It was my understanding the two parties weren't in negotiations. I think the intent all along was that Pat play under the tag this year (get paid) and the team and Pat would re-assess at the end of this year, most probably for several reasons. Possible AV retirement/Pat's dream of being all legs for one team (I don't think its a good idea for the team) but it may be intriguing.........more flex room with other free agent contracts..........I haven't read anything where negotiations broke down or Pat wanting 4mil or any of the aforementioned hyperbole. Maybe I am cave dwelling on these issues, if so I am sure someone will shine a light to this canary in a coal mine.

That became clear as time went on and there was no news. But it's surprising to me. I was under the impression that McAfee is a part of the team's long term plans, so making a conscientious decision to keep him on the tag is strange.

I would think the Colts will get a deal done with Pat Boomstick. I did notice that Pat was kicking FGs in training camp and did play a series or two as a WR. He is also the emergency QB if needed. He is an excellent holder as well. Just an all around good player who brings more than just punts. 

Especially since Viniteri's leg isn't quite what it used to be, they aught to consider using Pat on long range FG attempts.  

Especially since Viniteri's leg isn't quite what it used to be, they aught to consider using Pat on long range FG attempts.  

He only missed 5 field goals last year, thats not many out of 33 attempts .....2 of those were blocked to. Also his long last year was a 53 yarder

like i said when he was franchised, it was a stupid move!

there is no incentive for a kicker to negotiate a long term contract because he will be payed top money, get a 20% bump next year if he is franchised again, and there is very little chance for career threatening injury. being franchised is a great contract! why should he take less money? the only reason players don't want to be franchised because of risk of career ending injury.

there is no incentive for a kicker to negotiate a long term contract because he will be payed top money, get a 20% bump next year if he is franchised again, and there is very little chance for career threatening injury. being franchised is a great contract! why should he take less money? the only reason players don't want to be franchised because of risk of career ending injury.

it wasnt a stupid move. they didn't have much choice but to franchise him. it's not like they are paying him huge money.

Being a franchised punter in the NFL does not mean he will be paid like a RB or QB. Franchise means Pat makes the average pay of the 5 top paid punters in the league. According to Spotrac Pat makes $2,977,000 for this year. What other top 5 punter in the league is as good as Pat? Keep in mind not only does he punt he is the holder for FGs. He kicks FGs. He is the emergency QB. I have seen him line up as a WR in training camp. He is one of the best tacklers on special teams. Is there another punter who is capable of doing all of these things?  

Do you honestly think you know better than Grigson? Could it be that the Colts franchised Pat for 1 year while holding off to see how well Adam Vinatieri is going to do as far as FGs? Pat makes the average pay of the top paid punters in the league as a franchised punter. Pats contract is $2,977,000 per year and Adam's is $3,400,000 per year. 

it wasnt a stupid move. they didn't have much choice but to franchise him. it's not like they are paying him huge money.

The alternative is clear: negotiate a long term deal with him. It appears there have been no attempts to do so. That's what's strange to me.

The alternative is clear: negotiate a long term deal with him. It appears there have been no attempts to do so. That's what's strange to me.

that's what i am saying. there is absolutely no incentive for pat to sign a team friendly contract. i'm sure the colts would like to, but it takes two.

Do you honestly think you know better than Grigson? Could it be that the Colts franchised Pat for 1 year while holding off to see how well Adam Vinatieri is going to do as far as FGs? Pat makes the average pay of the top paid punters in the league as a franchised punter. Pats contract is $2,977,000 per year and Adam's is $3,400,000 per year. 

then why hasn't he been signed to a team friendly contract? i guess you think grigson is a perfect gm?

pat has proven nothing as a fg kicker.