Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bradshaw Injury Prone....

neverstop1863

Bradshaw has played in 84 games out of a possible 96 games in his career  accoding to nfl.com over 6 years so he has had his injuries but 84 out of 96 is pretty good for a running back, He started only 32 games however out of 84

I don't think the 32 starts are due to injury....

I think most of that is that other RB's were viewed as the lead back....   (Brandon Short?)...   and Bradshaw was the complimentary back....

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bust , waiting to happen is what I said. I want us to sign him.  But as sure as white on rice, he'll be Bob Sanders...it's just my luck, no one elses.  its murphy's law with me.

But how could it be a bust? You're not pinning the hopes of your season on a free agent signing in June. This would be an auxiliary move. Unless we gave him major coinage, it can't be a bust.

But how could it be a bust? You're not pinning the hopes of your season on a free agent signing in June. This would be an auxiliary move. Unless we gave him major coinage, it can't be a bust.

I think we probably gave him major coinage and I'm sure he/Grigson/Irsay had to figure out what would be doable for the terms and for the compensatory package.  I have heard he has a lot of money in the bank from some dealings and so hopefully he didn't rob the colts coughers too much as he and the Colts have just this hour come to terms on a deal.  This, after much ado about health, physicals, and negotiations.  He can now go to the Swan Lake resort in Taiwan and not worry about his money.

I think we probably gave him major coinage and I'm sure he/Grigson/Irsay had to figure out what would be doable for the terms and for the compensatory package.  I have heard he has a lot of money in the bank from some dealings and so hopefully he didn't rob the colts coughers too much as he and the Colts have just this hour come to terms on a deal.  This, after much ado about health, physicals, and negotiations.  He can now go to the Swan Lake resort in Taiwan and not worry about his money.

He got one year, max total of $2m, if I'm reading this correctly.

https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/344513133202767872

Edited by Superman

It is borderline fact. I live in New York and very rarely miss a Giants game... anyone who actually watches him and says he runs soft is lying. Ask his teammates, ask Giants fans.

You may have problems with him, injuries, etc. etc., but running soft is not something you can justify. He does not take snaps off. I consider him amongst the hardest runners in the league longside Marshawn Lynch.

Sorry, but you're just wrong here.

And you would be correct. I've also watched Bradshaw the last few years (by the way he's averaged 222 carries per season the last 3 seassons which isn't too injury prone). And yes, Bradshaw runs hard and with a burst. Good addition and here's hoping he does get 200 carries this season.

could be one of those deals where the Colts got a steal for the $$ and then again could be a total and unadulterated rip-off for him to sit on the bench all year because he got hurt in mini-camp or pre-season.  It's just a roll of the Sanders Dice.  Have we signed Lynch yet, what's taking so long??????

I get your rant, but to offer mine in response...

I don't understand the constant chatter that is essentially "grass is alway greener on the other side of the fence". Especially given the irony of knocking Carter for fumbling or Brown for injuries.

At the end of the day, none of us have any idea how Ballard/Brown would have fared behind a line that could actually block. Nor do we have a clue how bad Bradshaw would have looked behind our line last year.

I think the people you are ranting about (presumably including me) feel that the fixes have to start on the line before we have any clue what we have in the backfield. So now maybe we've seen fixes on the line, but have no idea how effective these changes will be yet.

I'm all for adding Bradshaw, but am not convinced he is automatically better than the guys already on the team, regardless of what previous seasons' stats say.

There is more accountability to be had for the poor running game than the offensive line play. Luck threw 4,300 yards behind the same line, that was equally bad in pass protection. Ballard was okay, lets not pretend he was anything more than that.

Bradshaw is of a higher pedigree altogether, and he is not being brought in to replace Ballard... yes he would probably be the number 1 , but both will still be part of the offense.

As for Leach, he is clearly the best FB in football, in the circumstance, the grass is most certainly greener. I like Havali, but I'll take the best player in their position 100% of the time.

The goal is to make the team better... these players do that, at least on paper.

There is more accountability to be had for the poor running game than the offensive line play. Luck threw 4,300 yards behind the same line, that was equally bad in pass protection. Ballard was okay, lets not pretend he was anything more than that.

Bradshaw is of a higher pedigree altogether, and he is not being brought in to replace Ballard... yes he would probably be the number 1 , but both will still be part of the offense.

As for Leach, he is clearly the best FB in football, in the circumstance, the grass is most certainly greener. I like Havali, but I'll take the best player in their position 100% of the time.

The goal is to make the team better... these players do that, at least on paper.

perhaps I was watching a different team last year. I was watching Luck throwing for all those yards while running for his life, and getting repeatedly drilled. His skill set does not somehow make the line better than it was.

I'm pleased enough to have Bradshaw on the team, but I completely disagree he's on any kind of different level... or at least don't think you can accurately compare, given the drastically different situations.

I can't claim to have enough info to say anything about Leach either way. Except to say that there is an entire history of guys who were once tops at their position, were paid handsomely for their pasts, and never again played to anything resembling the same level again. There are plenty of situations where I'd prefer younger and cheaper. But I have no clue whether Leach is a value now or not.

perhaps I was watching a different team last year. I was watching Luck throwing for all those yards while running for his life, and getting repeatedly drilled. His skill set does not somehow make the line better than it was.

I'm pleased enough to have Bradshaw on the team, but I completely disagree he's on any kind of different level... or at least don't think you can accurately compare, given the drastically different situations.

I can't claim to have enough info to say anything about Leach either way. Except to say that there is an entire history of guys who were once tops at their position, were paid handsomely for their pasts, and never again played to anything resembling the same level again. There are plenty of situations where I'd prefer younger and cheaper. But I have no clue whether Leach is a value now or not.

Exactly my point, Luck made the most of a bad situation. He succeeded despite a horrible line, that is why I am saying that although the line is incredibly important for a running back, the RBs need to have a certain amount of accountability as well, and Ballard did just okay given the circumstances.

I can say pretty confidently that right now, Bradshaw is a significantly better player, I watched nearly every NFL game each guy has been involved in. O-Line aside, Bradshaw is borderline elite when healthy.

Leach has succeeded on multiple teams. Plus, due to the few teams that use an FB consistently, there probably won't be a big market for him, so he would not be getting big money.

We want to win now, why not put ourselves in the best position to do that, and stop worrying about average players who we feel we must stick up for because they are on our team.

Yeah he's injury prone that's why it's a one year deal.  If he wasn't teams would have been a lot more interested in Bradshaw with more money sooner than now.  Even though running backs are falling out of favor in the NFL a 27 year old with Bradshaw's history would have gotten a good contract from someone if he didn't have injury issues. 

Exactly my point, Luck made the most of a bad situation. He succeeded despite a horrible line, that is why I am saying that although the line is incredibly important for a running back, the RBs need to have a certain amount of accountability as well, and Ballard did just okay given the circumstances.

I can say pretty confidently that right now, Bradshaw is a significantly better player, I watched nearly every NFL game each guy has been involved in. O-Line aside, Bradshaw is borderline elite when healthy.

Leach has succeeded on multiple teams. Plus, due to the few teams that use an FB consistently, there probably won't be a big market for him, so he would not be getting big money.

We want to win now, why not put ourselves in the best position to do that, and stop worrying about average players who we feel we must stick up for because they are on our team.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. Luck running around for his life in the backfield proves ZERO about what RBs can/should do. RBs are supposed to matriculate out of the backfield for positive yards. The line didn't give Luck much protection, and didn't open holes for the RBs to get positive yardage. As one poster showed statistically during last season, the Colts' line allowed RBs to get hit behind the line more than any other team last year, BEFORE the RBs had a chance to use their vision, speed, elusiveness, guile, or anything else.

Watching Bradshaw's highlights, by comparison, you can see enormous running lanes well before Bradshaw broke any runs. I watched the Giants games last year too. Their line wasn't always that good, but Bradshaw's success went hand in hand with the OLine playing well. We never saw anything like that on the Colts last year, or for the last several years for that matter.

And I totally disagree with any "win now" moves at the cost of making the best long term decisions for the club. If Leach is good for the long term interest if the team, I'll always back it. But right now, I'd speculate that, from what I've seen, Havili is on an upward trajectory, and if Leach is nearing his career end, I'd rather stick with Havili.

I don't think the 32 starts are due to injury....

I think most of that is that other RB's were viewed as the lead back....   (Brandon Short?)...   and Bradshaw was the complimentary back....

Nope not due to injury, Brandon Jacobs was the lead Back for some time

I just hope whatever injuries he's had will not surface to the point that he can't be effective.  Sometimes new situations bring out the best in people. Maybe a lead fullback with take some of the pressure off.  I sure hope so.  Looking forward to Bradshaw catching out of the backfield.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. Luck running around for his life in the backfield proves ZERO about what RBs can/should do. RBs are supposed to matriculate out of the backfield for positive yards. The line didn't give Luck much protection, and didn't open holes for the RBs to get positive yardage. As one poster showed statistically during last season, the Colts' line allowed RBs to get hit behind the line more than any other team last year, BEFORE the RBs had a chance to use their vision, speed, elusiveness, guile, or anything else.

Watching Bradshaw's highlights, by comparison, you can see enormous running lanes well before Bradshaw broke any runs. I watched the Giants games last year too. Their line wasn't always that good, but Bradshaw's success went hand in hand with the OLine playing well. We never saw anything like that on the Colts last year, or for the last several years for that matter.

And I totally disagree with any "win now" moves at the cost of making the best long term decisions for the club. If Leach is good for the long term interest if the team, I'll always back it. But right now, I'd speculate that, from what I've seen, Havili is on an upward trajectory, and if Leach is nearing his career end, I'd rather stick with Havili.

Bradshaw as a runner, especially in a power-running game, provides a massive upgrade to our backfield. Disagree if you like, but I think it is fairly obvious (on the condition that he stays healthy of course). Ballard did not get much help from his offensive line, but he wasn't a tackle breaking machine either, something Bradshaw is. What Ballard did well was attack the hole and run hard and direct for positive yards. I hope he does that even better this year. But he does not block well, Bradshaw does.  This move is simply a big upgrade for our backfield, and makes us a better team.

As for Havali, whilst he looks good, watch his and Leach's tapes side-by side. The difference is unquestionable.

Our core pieces are in place for long-term success, adding short-term measures every season works for a lot of the most consistently dominant teams in the league. I'd rather have the best full back in the league for 2-years over a promising full back who may or may not fulfill his potential for the long-term. The mindset of some people here is that if a player can be good, he will be good, but most of the time that is not the case.

Think your wrong ,if Ballard would've got considerable playing time he would've been well over 1000 yds and you know it as well as id do.I Guess your so much more intelegent and a much better anylist of talent .I never really liked Bradshaw as much as you ,always thought he was a little soft as a runner especially between the tackles.But you keep on preaching,I will continue not listening.When and if they sign him ,I will support him as well as pick his game apart as need be.IMO big mistake.Oh yes no one said he did gain 1000 said he wouldve

I see the word 'sniff' used to say "A running back (Bradshaw) would not have sniffed 1,000 behind our line."  Not sure Ballard or Bradshaw would have remained healthy behind that line with 'feature back' carries....and I am serious.

With McGlass penciled in as of now as the starting right guard, the backs and Luck need to 'sniff' being healthy.  I know we have camp....but to even consider a run in the playoffs we need a right guard.  Here's to hoping Thornton comes along in camp.  From my perspective, McAwful is only a 'no pads/shorts' player....put them on.....and the McGlass breaks!  Here is number 75 in pads:  

breaking-glass.jpg

Bradshaw as a runner, especially in a power-running game, provides a massive upgrade to our backfield. Disagree if you like, but I think it is fairly obvious (on the condition that he stays healthy of course). Ballard did not get much help from his offensive line, but he wasn't a tackle breaking machine either, something Bradshaw is. What Ballard did well was attack the hole and run hard and direct for positive yards. I hope he does that even better this year. But he does not block well, Bradshaw does. This move is simply a big upgrade for our backfield, and makes us a better team.

As for Havali, whilst he looks good, watch his and Leach's tapes side-by side. The difference is unquestionable.

Our core pieces are in place for long-term success, adding short-term measures every season works for a lot of the most consistently dominant teams in the league. I'd rather have the best full back in the league for 2-years over a promising full back who may or may not fulfill his potential for the long-term. The mindset of some people here is that if a player can be good, he will be good, but most of the time that is not the case.

It's easier to break tackles when you've had a chance to build up a head of steam. I think it's an upgrade, but we'll see about who's better once their all playing under the same conditions.

Again, I know relatively little about Leach, and Im not qualified as a talent evaluator enough to know who Havili will be, but I'd always rather have the guy who becomes the best at his position over the guy who was. I wouldn't have wanted to dump Wayne after his rookie campaign for a shot at Tim Brown for his swan song, for example. Tim might have provided better stats for a year, but long term, there's no question Reggie is better for the team.

Well maybe im basing it off him running injured just don't recall him moving a lot of people lately,but one thing im not is a liar anyone that knows me knows that.I go by what I see and there was a time I really loved his game like the first SB run with Eli.Just seems to me hes not the same runner he once was.If he signs and proves me wrong ,I will be the first to admit it. I just don't see him being the main RB in this system.I do think he would help,but I believe the running will be spread around between 2 backs he could be one of them.Some people just seem to think Ballard will be parked in the garage,I don't see that happening,and if it does its a major mistake and will come back to bite us !!!!!!

I am not going to worry about Ballard in the garage Brother.  This two-pronged attack has me psyched to see just how Peps and Pags manage two strong running backs.  I will put either one at the goal line and be happy.  Of course I still like 238 pounds of Carter whom people are going to give away and watch excel with a division rival :)

I think that where Bradshaw is toughest is when you need 1-2 yards.  I think at this point in their careers Ballard is quicker to the hole from the film I am watching.  I am going on record as saying:  We signed Bradshaw....I love the guy now because he is a Colt....but remember, I rooted Cassius 'stuck in the clay' Vaughn all year long  :spit: (And yes have pummelled him for exceedingly poor performance :))

It's easier to break tackles when you've had a chance to build up a head of steam. I think it's an upgrade, but we'll see about who's better once their all playing under the same conditions.

Again, I know relatively little about Leach, and Im not qualified as a talent evaluator enough to know who Havili will be, but I'd always rather have the guy who becomes the best at his position over the guy who was. I wouldn't have wanted to dump Wayne after his rookie campaign for a shot at Tim Brown for his swan song, for example. Tim might have provided better stats for a year, but long term, there's no question Reggie is better for the team.

I honestly only feel it is a 'true' upgrade in goal line situations and leadership....and I am HUGE on leadership.

Good assessments schwamm!!!  :thmup:

Bradshaw breaks tackles period...  in the backfield or downfield, this is not characteristic I have seen in Ballard. Plus his ability to play in every situation (running, blocking, catching) make him a much more versatile weapon, and I am a sucker for versatility, especially if you want to play hurry-up football and create mismatches.

What do you 'mean was the best at his position'? He has three consecutive All-Pros... he is the best at his position. The Full Back position is one you can afford to have turnover season on season, it does not require intricate knowledge of the playbook.

And your Wayne/Brown comparison is in no way the same thing... for many very obvious reasons.

Bradshaw breaks tackles period...  in the backfield or downfield, this is not characteristic I have seen in Ballard. Plus his ability to play in every situation (running, blocking, catching) make him a much more versatile weapon, and I am a sucker for versatility, especially if you want to play hurry-up football and create mismatches.

What do you 'mean was the best at his position'? He has three consecutive All-Pros... he is the best at his position. The Full Back position is one you can afford to have turnover season on season, it does not require intricate knowledge of the playbook.

And your Wayne/Brown comparison is in no way the same thing... for many very obvious reasons.

I had a nice response to this...and my computer 'refreshed itself..'   :funny: I was not going against what you were saying here, but the the use of "much more" versatile is a tad strong.(I do respect the point made was aimed at 'versatility')  I think camp will be a great indicator of all around progression from the killer B's.   :)  I think Ballard can be dangerous out of the backfield catching passes....so can Brown...Delone Carter has untapped resources...interesting to me. (Repetition....repetition...repetition....)

The Leadership of first Coach Pagano...then Bradshaw will help any back's mentality...and as we know Pags will play those he thinks gives us the BEST chance to win.  Put on the pads boys...time for some football!!   :)

Bradshaw breaks tackles period... in the backfield or downfield, this is not characteristic I have seen in Ballard. Plus his ability to play in every situation (running, blocking, catching) make him a much more versatile weapon, and I am a sucker for versatility, especially if you want to play hurry-up football and create mismatches.

So we disagree. This discussion has run its course.

I am not going to worry about Ballard in the garage Brother.  This two-pronged attack has me psyched to see just how Peps and Pags manage two strong running backs.  I will put either one at the goal line and be happy.  Of course I still like 238 pounds of Carter whom people are going to give away and watch excel with a division rival :)

I think that where Bradshaw is toughest is when you need 1-2 yards.  I think at this point in their careers Ballard is quicker to the hole from the film I am watching.  I am going on record as saying:  We signed Bradshaw....I love the guy now because he is a Colt....but remember, I rooted Cassius 'stuck in the clay' Vaughn all year long  :spit: (And yes have pummelled him for exceedingly poor performance :))

I Know well Bradshaw brings something to the table one major one being experience.Now that hes in the fold I will support him just as strongly as anyone,some of my worries about this have been dismissed,because its a 1 year deal,lets prove some durability,and some team leadership,by lets say helping these younger backs , such as Reggie does the recievers,I know Vic will get his touches as well.Carter im not really ready to give up on just yet,cant help but think it had to do with the hand injury.Bottom line Bradshaw helps this team,and some RBS wont be here,it makes for an interesting camp.

Exactly...   I was scared to death that Indy was considering bringing AB in "with a guaranteed long term deal" ...   Whhhwww!

AB, all things being equal is this teams best back.    But..    I think Indy want to use Brad, Ballard, and Brown equally.   They have too.    Indy simply does not have a true STUD RB.       I am very happy with this sign now that I see the numbers.    

Yeah he's injury prone that's why it's a one year deal.  If he wasn't teams would have been a lot more interested in Bradshaw with more money sooner than now.  Even though running backs are falling out of favor in the NFL a 27 year old with Bradshaw's history would have gotten a good contract from someone if he didn't have injury issues. 

This man will likely be in a walking boot every practice after game 3.       But he makes it on game day.     But this is going to be a common occurrence. 

It was a bit of a surprise because I thought he was cleared to play.  He's probably tough enough to play with a walking boot.

This man will likely be in a walking boot every practice after game 3.       But he makes it on game day.     But this is going to be a common occurrence. 

My understanding is that he did not practice very much in new York. Did walkthroughs and game day but otherwise, was relaxing (relatively speaking).

Actually don't know if its considered a walking boot,he was on the sidelines running pretty freely in it.I read where he will be ready for camp,think he had surgery on it like 6 mo. ago.Of course he wasn't making any cuts.

Actually don't know if its considered a walking boot,he was on the sidelines running pretty freely in it.I read where he will be ready for camp,think he had surgery on it like 6 mo. ago.Of course he wasn't making any cuts.

On a straight line he was moving just fine,real test for everyone will be training camp when they start hitting.Cant wait to go take a look then