Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hope luck has a sophmore season like marino

Stephen

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yea they said his rookie year he only threw for 2210 yards and he led the conference in passing that shows you that they really didn't pass much. Marino had bad luck though. Though he made it to super bowl his sophomore year he had to go against a stacked 49ers team

Those numbers are unreal.  Just shows how great Marino was in a time where the league wasn't as "pass-first" as it is now

Exactly, I wonder how he would like playing during this heavy pass league we have now?

I would rather have a more balanced attack, 29 TD's 13 int's 4,100 yards instead of 5,000 yards. If Luck throws near that amount it would mean Ballard wouldn't have a good year. It's difficult to win superbowls just passing the ball almost every down you have to be able to run it as well.

No way he throws enough to hit those numbers.

Exactly, if Luck even came close to Marino's numbers it would mean our ground is dead in the water & Ballard was down & out for the season. Passing is not what we need to improve dramatically on running is. All playoff teams can usually run the ball at will or do just enough of it to keep the safeties & CBs deep & honest on game day. 

If Andrew Luck throws for 5,000 yards this season..... We've FAILED as an Offense.

That means he's throwing the ball wayyyy too much which means the run game sucks even with the upgrades

Get off the apple juice and hit the beers. Then you may make more sense. A balanced attack, whilst preferable in no way assures success. 5000 yards passing could mean riches beyond our dreams if the running game gets it done when required. Quality before quantity can also lead to success.

Get off the apple juice and hit the beers. Then you may make more sense. A balanced attack, whilst preferable in no way assures success. 5000 yards passing could mean riches beyond our dreams if the running game gets it done when required. Quality before quantity can also led to success.

5,000 yards is Matthew Stafford territory. And where has that gotten the Lions? Oh yes, an early playoff exit & then a non playoff visit. Nothing positive team wise for a QB to have 5,000 yards. Means the QB is doing way too much

And considering the emphasis on our running game, I really don't see A. Luck having 5000.

The realistic goal is to have Luck throw around 34 times a game and have a 63% completion percentage. That would put him at around 544 pass attempts. To reach 5,000 yards on the season he would have to average over 9 yards per attempt and 14 yards per completion. Moving to more of a dink and dunk offense I don't see him reaching that milestone.

Marino's Dolphins lost that Super Bowl and never returned. Let's hope Luck has a better outcome.

Well at least Manning made it to the Superbowl with, uhh... Jim Caldwell, so as long as Luck plays like Manning and Pagano coaches just slightly better than Caldwell, we'll get over the hump!

The realistic goal is to have Luck throw around 34 times a game and have a 63% completion percentage. That would put him at around 544 pass attempts. To reach 5,000 yards on the season he would have to average over 9 yards per attempt and 14 yards per completion. Moving to more of a dink and dunk offense I don't see him reaching that milestone.

Remember, he's dinking & dunking to speedy WR's (Excluding Wayne). But yeah, still don't see him reaching 5,000. Nor do I want him to. I wanna see a balanced team this year. Not having it all on Luck's shoulders

5,000 yards is Matthew Stafford territory. And where has that gotten the Lions? Oh yes, an early playoff exit & then a non playoff visit. Nothing positive team wise for a QB to have 5,000 yards. Means the QB is doing way too much

And considering the emphasis on our running game, I really don't see A. Luck having 5000.

Good point TK85 & that's exactly why Detroit brought in RB Reggie Bush too...Take some of the pressure off Matthew's Motor City shoulders too. I'm old school. Run the ball; stop the run. I'd rather have a smash mouth ground game than an ariel assault powerhouse any day of the week. Think Walter Payton & the '85 Bears or the 2000 Ravens. Grind it out...inch by inch...I live for that...

As long as the running game is effective when needed, there would be nothing wrong with him putting up 5,000 yards. It wouldn't mean that our offense failed by any means. The Pats from '07 were throwing a ton and nobody could possibly say their offense failed; SB aside. Marino in '84 was throwing a ton and they were a successful offense. There is no way the run game will be anything worse than league average this year.

As long as the running game is effective when needed, there would be nothing wrong with him putting up 5,000 yards. It wouldn't mean that our offense failed by any means. The Pats from '07 were throwing a ton and nobody could possibly say their offense failed; SB aside. Marino in '84 was throwing a ton and they were a successful offense. There is no way the run game will be anything worse than league average this year.

You make a valid point Peytonator both Marino in 1984 & Brady in 2007 had high power offenses that got them to the SB, but they both lost in the end. I guess it just depends on what your idea of success means. I would have used the St. Louis Rams who won the SB in 1999 to illustrate the value of a fluid offense myself because Kurt Warner & company won it all that year. 

Remember, he's dinking & dunking to speedy WR's (Excluding Wayne). But yeah, still don't see him reaching 5,000. Nor do I want him to. I wanna see a balanced team this year. Not having it all on Luck's shoulders

West coast offense doesn't mean drinking and dunking

The only way I would like to see Luck throw for 5,000 yards is if he can stand in the pocket untouched.  I think we will see an improvement in the offensive line but I doubt it will be that good. Also I think the Colts with Pep as the offensive coordinator will try to have a more balanced offense. At least that is what impression I am getting. 

Exactly. This is what I tried to say in response to TK. But I failed miserably. Throwing for 5000 yards does not need to be bad. It could lead to one of the best offenses ever, if the running game is effective. To say throwing for 5000 yards automatically qualifies as an epic fail is ridiculous. It could be so unbalanced that it does render the offense too one dimensional, but it doesn't default to that status like TK suggested.

Outside of Stafford and Brees, I don't see anyone throwing for those numbers this year.

I think Luck is good now and will be great. But i'm looking for him to post around 4200 yards with around 30tds and 12-14Ints.

Anything else would just be gravy.

Exactly. This is what I tried to say in response to TK. But I failed miserably. Throwing for 5000 yards does not need to be bad. It could lead to one of the best offenses ever, if the running game is effective. To say throwing for 5000 yards automatically qualifies as an epic fail is ridiculous. It could be so unbalanced that it does render the offense too one dimensional, but it doesn't default to that status like TK suggested.

There still is the failure or unwillingeness to understanding that times have changed..

Stafford is over 5,000..So was Tom Brady..(both have had other years over 4,800...Brees was at 5,000 three times.     In the coming years..so will Matt Ryan....4,700 last year

Nobody wins because they run the ball so well anymore.......the rules favor the pass and protect the QB..

If Luck passes for 4,300 yards, like he did last year....we probably wont be in the playoffs..

I think that indoors with a bulked up receiving core and O-line...Luck should throw for 4,800-5,200 yards in 2013..and we need that to make the post-season . It is our strength...and he will be more accurate....

Numbers often lie but you guys know that Luck had a 60% completion rating four times in 2012 and we were 4-0 in those games and averaged 295 yards in those 4 games.

I'm not as worreid about Andrew's 18 interceptions as many here are...

Luck didnt throw an interception in his final three must-win games last season. Of his 18 he threw....11 in road games at Detroit, NE, NYJ and the Bears...2 of his picks were end of the half/game throwaways.. He's not innacurate....he was just under fire a lot last year

You have to throw the ball a lot to win.....You need about 300 yards passing a game or you will be run over by other teams that get that.   Look at the recent Super Bowl teams....

Does anybody really think we are going to run the ball for 150-200 yards against Houston and beat them?

I'd rather have Andrew Luck this coming season than Adrian Peterson 

Outside of Stafford and Brees, I don't see anyone throwing for those numbers this year.

I think Luck is good now and will be great. But i'm looking for him to post around 4200 yards with around 30tds and 12-14Ints.

Anything else would just be gravy.

Prediction: Barrin injury, there will be six 5,000-yard QBs in 2013...

Drew Brees, Matthew Stafford.. Peyton Manning, Matt Ryan, Andrew Luck and Carson (I love Bruce Arians) Palmer

Drew Brees, Matthew Stafford.. Peyton Manning, Matt Ryan, Andrew Luck and Carson (I love Bruce Arians) Palmer

You are too obsessed with the passing game. I really don't care if Luck passes for 4500 yards or 4800 yards....I just wanna see more balance.

Colin Kaepernick threw for over 300 yards just once....and that was the SB.

Brees and Stafford I agree wholeheartedly with. Peyton could get close. I can see him putting up between 4700 and 4800. I don't have enough confidence in Matty Ice to put him at 5000, i'd say 4500. Bruce Arians system is very capable of producing a 5000 yard passer, but Palmer has never hit 4200 in his entire career, and has a history of being a bit of a turnover machine.

As for Andy, if he was still with Bruce Arians I would say he had a chance. But in a west coast O, I think he'll be lucky to reach 4400.

I'm going to stick at 2 5000 yarders this season.

Brees and Stafford I agree wholeheartedly with. Peyton could get close. I can see him putting up between 4700 and 4800. I don't have enough confidence in Matty Ice to put him at 5000, i'd say 4500. Bruce Arians system is very capable of producing a 5000 yard passer, but Palmer has never hit 4200 in his entire career, and has a history of being a bit of a turnover machine.

As for Andy, if he was still with Bruce Arians I would say he had a chance. But in a west coast O, I think he'll be lucky to reach 4400.

I'm going to stick at 2 5000 yarders this season.

Pure west coast offenses don't really exist anymore. The Packers run a "west coast offense"....I don't think it hinders Rodgers from racking up yards.

Pure west coast offenses don't really exist anymore. The Packers run a "west coast offense"....I don't think it hinders Rodgers from racking up yards.

True.

I'm just saying that with the west coast ideals that Pep is bringing with him, there is going to be a more balanced offense. So with an offense that's more 50/50 in passing/running, Andrew is unlikely to hit anything higher than 4300 like he did last year when the offense was more 70/30 in favour of the passing game.

The Packers run a more west coast passing offense but they don't run a balanced offense, purely because they have/had no one on the roster capable of running the ball for any amount time. With addition of Lacy and Franklin, I can see Rodgers numbers dipping this year, because of GreenBay wanting a slightly more balanced attack. They didn't burn 2 draft picks on RBs for nothing! :thmup:

True.

I'm just saying that with the west coast ideals that Pep is bringing with him, there is going to be a more balanced offense. So with an offense that's more 50/50 in passing/running, Andrew is unlikely to hit anything higher than 4300 like he did last year when the offense was more 70/30 in favour of the passing game.

The Packers run a more west coast passing offense but they don't run a balanced offense, purely because they have/had no one on the roster capable of running the ball for any amount time. With addition of Lacy and Franklin, I can see Rodgers numbers dipping this year, because of GreenBay wanting a slightly more balanced attack. They didn't burn 2 draft picks on RBs for nothing! :thmup:

I get what you're saying and I agree for the most part. But with the passing game hopefully being more efficient, I can see Luck matching or slightly exceeding last years yardage total.

My hope is the Colts will be so far ahead by the 4th quarter they won't need to throw the ball at all late in the game!

I get what you're saying and I agree for the most part. But with the passing game hopefully being more efficient, I can see Luck matching or slightly exceeding last years yardage total.

My hope is the Colts will be so far ahead by the 4th quarter they won't need to throw the ball at all late in the game!

Love the optimism. And with an unremarkable schedule we may see one or two games that play out like that. I'm just really hoping Pep doesn't go conservative in the 4th. Live and die by the sword, that's my motto.

I see Luck putting up 4200-4300 yards with around 30-32 TDs and 12-14 INTs.

It's also Drew Brees and Tom Brady territory... who run two pretty good offenses.

A good running game can go a long way to improving passing yardage. It opens up the field. 5000 yards might be a huge ask, but I do not agree that it automatically implies our running game has failed... it implies efficiency and dominance.

I look form#12 to have a huge year.. But that would surely be close to an MVP year.. Wo knows though.. If anyone can pull it off it's Luck.

It would not be close to an MVP year, it would be a guaranteed MVP year and one of the greatest statistical QB seasons in NFL history.

If we can throw all over people and utilize our weapons best by throwing then that doesn't mean our offense failed....Even if we can run which I think we will be adequate with the new guys on the line, if we can score at will by throwing then that's what you do...The same people preaching we need to run are the same people saying we didn't need to draft a running-back...Makes no sense...Were the Patriots or Rams or Saints failures when they threw the ball all over the yard???? I believe they went to Super Bowls if I'm not mistaken...We have the future G.O.A.T. behind center and trying to run a ball control offense makes no sense unless we have no line which is not gonna be the case this year...We need to be able to run to close out games or in bad weather situations, but to run just to run when we can light people up throwing the ball is just counterproductive...